PDA

View Full Version : Ratchet wrenches: your favorite brand?

Hulk
10-05-2010, 04:55 PM
I've decided to outfit my 80 with some essential tools so I can stop moving them back and forth from the garage. I'm not impressed with the Craftsman ratchets.

I was thinking about these:

GearWrench Cushion Grip Ratchet Set (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00987661000P?mv=rr)
SK ratchets (http://www.mytoolstore.com/sk/sk03050.html)

I prefer the fine tooth over the course tooth ratchets. Snap-on looks nice but is beyond my budget.

Anyone have any recommendations?

simps80
10-05-2010, 05:07 PM
the best ratchet I ever bought was and still is a 3/8" ultra-fine tooth flex-head S-K. It's now about 15 years old. I hate flex-heads that get sloppy and flop around, after years of use its still tight. I can get that in places I can get no other ratchet because its so fine toothed the throw is tiny.

not sure what the quality is like now haven't bought anything S-K recently.

74fj40
10-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I know you said snapon is out of your budget. but I have the 100 tooth flex head, and the 80 tooth flex head. I use both of them everyday, and still havent broken one in the past year....best ratchet I've ever owned.

My point being is that I would highly reccomend getting a fine tooth, it makes a big difference in use, less stress, less busted knuckles, and for 3/8s get one that is about a foot long.

Romer
10-05-2010, 08:55 PM
I have two sets of gearwrenches. One is the flat ratcheting wrench, and the other the head moves for different angles. I keep the movable set in my garage tool box as I use those the most. The other set is in the truck

DanS
10-05-2010, 08:56 PM
For tools that will stay in the truck for emergency repairs and might get stolen, the Gearwrench is hard to beat. It is also rebadged as the Duralast brand at Autozone (or whatever the store brand there is). I keep a set of the combo gearwrenches in the glovebox (the 2 wrenches with 4 sizes on each wrench). I easily use them more than any other tool, so much so that there is a set in my glovebox, and a set in the toolbox here in CO, and in the shop in NM.

Dan