PDA

View Full Version : Returning Items to Sears?

coax
10-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Has anyone ever had any luck with returning out-of-warranty items to sears? I purchased a microwave there a few years back, and its got an issue where it will actually stay on even if the door is open. IMO could be a safety issue, depending on if its "actually" on or if its just the light and motor for the tray. Its out of warranty, but I keep coming back to the fact that if its a safety issue, it maybe shouldn't matter? I mean if the thing burnt out, that's one thing, but to function outside of designed parameters is another. I can't seem to get anyone at sears to agree with me though. :rant: (For reference its this one http://www.amazon.com/Kenmore-Black-Countertop-Microwave-63259/dp/B000Q8SF7G)

So, I am starting to come to the conclusion my dad came to a long time ago, that most sears stuff is junk (my sockets being the notable exception among a number of other craftsman and sears products that seem to not last very long). For comparison I still have (in good working condition) my microwave from college which has got to be 10 years old and was probably only 50 bucks.

But figured I'd post up incase anyone found any tricks in the past. And to get some opinions if folks have had good luck with other sears products? Or have I learned my lesson about where to shop?

corsair23
10-08-2010, 06:49 PM
IMO, it doesn't matter much where you buy things nowadays - when the warranty is done, it is d-u-n, done :hill:

Some places don't even wait until the warranty period is over, they aren't willing to help. Aftermarket extended warranties are some of the worst IMO...Just reference the EdgeStar fridge fiasco lately.

Not sure that it really matters whether the item just stops working or doesn't work as it should. Maybe if there were 1000s of these that were doing the same thing you could get the manufacturer to do a recall on the item but is it worth the time? Seems like none of the "new" stuff lasts anywhere near as long as the old stuff. Things are becoming throw away commodities.

Bottom line...I don't think it matters if you bought that microwave from Sears, Best Buy, or wherever...Once the warranty is up, it is up. As for Sears, if anything I've heard of them providing better service on old returned stuff more so than not but I wouldn't expect much. We have a fridge we bought at Best Buy years ago...The ice maker and water stopped working in short order. They fixed it everytime it stopped working, right up until the warranty expired and then we were SOOL (or is it SOL? :hill:) - I could have claimed that it was a lemon but not worth the time nor effort...

Hulk
10-08-2010, 11:52 PM
With the kind of issue you're having, which is a safety issue, you may get some traction. You might call one of the Sears repair stores and speak directly to one of their folks. (800) 366-0006.

farnhamstj
10-09-2010, 12:24 PM
My camper roof is leaking. Purchased 2.5 years ago. They will warranty the part and labor but they want me to pay $1200 in freight to get the part. I feel your pain. I'd buy a new microwave. I don't really even like to use one that is in good working order.

RockRunner
10-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Kitchen appliances and TVs are now made to have a 5 year life span and hard to fix. We had two different guys come out to look at some stuff and they both agreed. A microwave we bought new 4 years ago blew a fuse after 2 and now did it again in the rental house. Tried to fix it with the fuse and it started to burn up so in the trash it went.

We are a disposable society nowadays, and it will only get worse!

treerootCO
10-09-2010, 01:26 PM
I have a great Panasonic countertop microwave you can have for free just in case the warranty falls through.

Old40Dog
10-09-2010, 02:25 PM
So, I am starting to come to the conclusion my dad came to a long time ago, that most sears stuff is junk (my sockets being the notable exception among a number of other craftsman and sears products that seem to not last very long). For comparison I still have (in good working condition) my microwave from college which has got to be 10 years old and was probably only 50 bucks.

IMO, it doesn't matter much where you buy things nowadays - when the warranty is done, it is d-u-n, done :hill:

Some places don't even wait until the warranty period is over, they aren't willing to help. Aftermarket extended warranties are some of the worst IMO...Just reference the EdgeStar fridge fiasco lately.

With the kind of issue you're having, which is a safety issue, you may get some traction. You might call one of the Sears repair stores and speak directly to one of their folks. (800) 366-0006.

Ah, yes grasshopper...you have learned...remember....It's KMart that bought Sears several years ago......Perhaps you should call Edward S. "Fast Eddie" Lampert, the hedge fund manager that put that deal together and is now Chairman of "Sears" Holdings :blah: :blah: :blah: and its not about the customer :eek: anymore....but the only the bottom line. I haven't been a "Sears" store since the deal.

We have been buying everything possible at Costco since 1985 (was Price Club then and many of you were likely unborn or not potty trained :lmao:) and have never had an issue with returns there....whenever something failed and a least one that I broke. I'm sure there are other items I don't even recall (an old40dog ya know)

For example;

(2005) A Xerox All-in-one laser printer, copier, scanner, fax...failed within days of the 6 month factory warranty expiration and was replaced by the factory at no charge, Replacement then failed at exactly at the same time frame. Returned the factory replacement to Costco for a full cash refund. Bought an HP from them online.

(2006) (2) Wenger (Swiss Army) 8x8 dome tents. Used them for 2 years and had problem with the flys being too short and water coming in when raining. Returned both of them for a full cash refund. Bought a new larger Kelty they had.

(2007) 42" Panasonic LCD TV that cost me about $800 3 years ago. The friend that was helping me mount it on the wall at my office let go of it while it was standing staged on a table to reach for a tool and it fell 3' to the floor landing face down and destroying the front LCD panel. I returned to Costco to buy another and the sales person asked why I was buying a second one the same day. When I told him what had happened he said "Bring it back for a full refund. It doesn't matter why you're returning it or when, we'll refund your full purchase price". Received a full cash refund and bought the same model replacement.

(2009) Had a nice $200 Panasonic Microwave with all the "stuff" on it with 1 year factory warranty that we used for three years. Light came on and turntable worked but stopped "cooking". Returned it to Costco for full cash refund. Now we too are just using a $50 one the previous homeowner left behind that is at least 10 years old. :D So sorry, don't have an extra to donate.

So I gladly pay my annual Costco membership and shop there first when looking for any item that they might carry. :thumb:

coax
10-10-2010, 09:11 PM
I don't really even like to use one that is in good working order.

Agreed. I haven't used it in about a year, I probably should have tried to return it earlier.

Kitchen appliances and TVs are now made to have a 5 year life span and hard to fix.

Yep. :rant: I much prefer the toyota way of construction where things list for many, many years, but it seems that a number of corporations are increasingly catering to the portion of America who wants cheap disposable stuff. I personally would rather pay twice as much up front to have something last. On the plus side, it seems that some companies are actually starting to get this. I'm hoping the new bike pump (http://www.lezyne.com/products/floor-pumps/floor-pumps-high-pressure/classic-floor-drive) I purchased lasts a while.

Go figure for the microwave I bought I actually did the research, and consumer reports gave it a really good rating. So I spent the money. Should'a bought half a snorkel instead :D

I have a great Panasonic countertop microwave you can have for free just in case the warranty falls through.

Cool, thanks for the offer, but I think I'm ok.:cheers: No luck with the warranty yet, I still need to call a few more folks at sears. In the interim, I am using my 50 dollar one that's 10 years old.

Ah, yes grasshopper...you have learned...remember....It's KMart that bought Sears several years ago......Perhaps you should call Edward S. "Fast Eddie" Lampert, the hedge fund manager that put that deal together and is now Chairman of "Sears" Holdings :blah: :blah: :blah: and its not about the customer :eek: anymore....but the only the bottom line. I haven't been a "Sears" store since the deal.

So I gladly pay my annual Costco membership and shop there first when looking for any item that they might carry. :thumb:

Interesting! Didn't know that bit of backstory. I too may have to start shopping at costco and other locations, as I think I am done with sears. (My 1/4 craftsman ratchet broke today....)