PDA

View Full Version : 9th Annual Spooky Night Run

nakman
10-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Yes it's that time again, time for our annual night time family cookout and Halloween run. This year we'll be back in Rollinsville, leaving at 5:00 pm to yet another new secret trail, keeping with SNR tradition.

Date: Saturday, October 23
Meet time: 4:30 or so... in the afternoon
Leave time: 5:00

It's an easy trail, any well maintained Toyota 4x4 with low range will have no problem. It's a tight trail. Full size trucks will not have a great time.. folks worried about a little pin striping will likely struggle mentally.

Bring kids, lots of warm clothes, your recovery gear and great attitude. Leave the beer at home..

And yes, there will be a potluck dinner!!! this year's theme is Pacific Ocean Mayhem so bring out your best portable Asia-centric cuisine to share.

http://www.pictureninja.com/pages/china/asian-food-market.jpg

FJBRADY
10-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Oh man you just made me hungry. My truck is out of commission so I am looking for a ride. My qualifications, I can spot, rock stack and pull cable in addition to being funny. Wrenching skills are basic but I can modivate others. :thumb:

nakman
10-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Steve we are going to make it a loop this year, so drive anything you want to Rollinsville and hop in- I'll have an extra front seat for sure.

Inukshuk
10-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Booo Yah!

ZIronPig
10-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Ill be there, and I'll be bringing the pig! The car not the animal :D

TIMZTOY
10-10-2010, 07:56 PM
hopefully ill make it

FJBRADY
10-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Steve we are going to make it a loop this year, so drive anything you want to Rollinsville and hop in- I'll have an extra front seat for sure.

Thanks Tim....any chance there's room for Michele too?

nakman
10-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks Tim....any chance there's room for Michele too?

you bet!! :thumb:

Dr. Schlegs
10-11-2010, 10:01 AM
I'll bring Chop Sticks!!!:lmao: I hope no one has Consecotaleophobia.

treerootCO
10-11-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm in! Meguiar’s non-abrasive Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+A3016) ;)

That stuff takes out Colorado pin stripes better than anything I have ever used.

Jacket
10-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Looks like I'm going to miss this year. I have to work again that weekend. :(

Red_Chili
10-11-2010, 01:27 PM
I am missing too... :-(
I will be chasing furry brown things. Darn I was hoping for the following weekend.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-11-2010, 03:56 PM
We are in! Thanks for Planning and all that Tim!

Air Randy
10-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Oh man you just made me hungry. My truck is out of commission so I am looking for a ride. My qualifications, I can spot, rock stack and pull cable in addition to being funny. Wrenching skills are basic but I can modivate others. :thumb:

Whats wrong with your rig? If we can't get it fixed in time you can borrow one of my "extra ones" :D

FJBRADY
10-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Whats wrong with your rig? If we can't get it fixed in time you can borrow one of my "extra ones" :D

T case, myfundsarelow right now to purchase an Orion.

Thanks for the offer, but I would rather borrow one for the Chinaman's run in Nov.!:thumb:

bh4rnnr
10-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Any southerners have an open seat? Would like to go, been a while:beer:

Uncle Ben
10-11-2010, 10:09 PM

Fix your truck.......

Hudo4
10-12-2010, 09:47 AM
BooYah! I'm in. I'll con the wife into making some delicious potstickers or something! Can't wait! :D

TIMZTOY
10-12-2010, 01:37 PM

What's wrong with your truck ?
X2 on fixing it.
All this time I thought you didn't have a truck, because everyone was trying to find you one. Then I just read your signature and was like WTF:eek:

TonkaToy
10-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I am planning on going. Where exactly would we be meeting?

nakman
10-12-2010, 09:47 PM
I am planning on going. Where exactly would we be meeting?

Rollinsville is about 5 miles south of Nederland on the Peak to Peak highway, 119. It's also about 10 miles north of Blackhawk.. and it's so small just look for the other cruisers there, that's us. But more than likely we'll be meeting at the start of the Rollins Pass road, on the west side of 119. Happy to have you! :thumb:

RedCreeper
10-15-2010, 12:01 AM
I may be up for this one. No top either. hope its not to cold...... oh and dry

srptoy
10-15-2010, 05:12 PM
I am in for this run. We just moved out here from boston. looking forward to meeting up with you guys and start checking out some colorado wheeling. My wife just asked if a rice cooker would work with the 110v plug in the back of the fjc so we can cook while we drive.

Sean

TIMZTOY
10-15-2010, 07:26 PM
it should, how many amps is your converter ??

nakman
10-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Welcome Sean, glad to have you. Give that rice cooker a test run before the real deal, just to make sure. ;)

And quick tip for anyone else new to this night run cookout thing- the best dishes historically have involved store bought stuff, crock pots and engine warming- something that's either already done, or involves absolutely no work. Don't stick yourself behind a grill for 30 minutes, unless that's what really makes you happy.. you're looking for fast setup and even faster tear-down, plus some quality social time.

While the weather is likely to be pretty good there's no guarantees, and we've had snow on more night runs than we haven't had snow, if that makes any sense. It will be dark, cold, and often windy... though I am optimistic that this year's cookout spot will be well protected. Bring way too much clothes and too many head lamps and you'll have a good time.

art hog
10-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Welcome Sean, glad to have you. Give that rice cooker a test run before the real deal, just to make sure. ;)

And quick tip for anyone else new to this night run cookout thing- the best dishes historically have involved store bought stuff, crock pots and engine warming- something that's either already done, or involves absolutely no work. Don't stick yourself behind a grill for 30 minutes, unless that's what really makes you happy.. you're looking for fast setup and even faster tear-down, plus some quality social time.

While the weather is likely to be pretty good there's no guarantees, and we've had snow on more night runs than we haven't had snow, if that makes any sense. It will be dark, cold, and often windy... though I am optimistic that this year's cookout spot will be well protected. Bring way too much clothes and too many head lamps and you'll have a good time.

There is a fire ban in effect in Gilpin county. 10% chance of rain/snow tomorrow, but it is going to be kinda warm for snow.

nakman
10-16-2010, 10:42 PM
thanks for the reminder on the fire ban Terry.. I guess if there's no :campfire: no one has to worry about putting it out. :o

Air Randy
10-17-2010, 10:24 AM
T case, myfundsarelow right now to purchase an Orion.

Thanks for the offer, but I would rather borrow one for the Chinaman's run in Nov.!:thumb:

Why not do both? The Gecko is available, you cant hurt it.

RedCreeper
10-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Why not do both? The Gecko is available, you cant hurt it.

He speaks from experience....:lmao:

May be out for this one after today. we will see what happens this week.

Bruiser
10-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Yeah, my wife and I are in.

TIMZTOY
10-17-2010, 09:12 PM
i got one of my 5.29 e-lockers installed, the other one whould be installed tuesday night.
Well I have to work till 5:00 unless I can con to get off early

nakman
10-18-2010, 04:26 PM
i got one of my 5.29 e-lockers installed, the other one whould be installed tuesday night.
Well I have to work till 5:00 unless I can con to get off early

Tim that's sweet on the new locked 3rds.. you won't really need to use them but I'm sure you can find a spot to engage them anyway.. :D

If you leave right after work you can still catch us during dinner, then run the rest of the trail after.. it takes at least an hour for dinner. I'll post up a map on Saturday so you know exactly where to go... it'll be easy to find.

TIMZTOY
10-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Tim that's sweet on the new locked 3rds.. you won't really need to use them but I'm sure you can find a spot to engage them anyway.. :D

If you leave right after work you can still catch us during dinner, then run the rest of the trail after.. it takes at least an hour for dinner. I'll post up a map on Saturday so you know exactly where to go... it'll be easy to find.

Thanks tim.

nuclearlemon
10-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Looks like I'm out. Ex and I are going to the avs game that night

Snowrun
10-19-2010, 09:54 PM
The kids and I are in. :party:

treerootCO
10-20-2010, 08:11 AM
Looks like I am out :( The 80 starter gave up yesterday and stranded me at work. Contacts were replaced but that all seems to work. It will engage but doesn't turn over anymore.

28100-66050 2.2kw discontinued
28100-66060 2.0kw $900

MDH33
10-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Looks like I am out :( The 80 starter gave up yesterday and stranded me at work. Contacts were replaced but that all seems to work. It will engage but doesn't turn over anymore.

28100-66050 2.2kw discontinued
28100-66060 2.0kw $900

didn't you used to have a 40 or something? ;)

RedCreeper
10-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Im out to. still blowing fuses.

CardinalFJ60
10-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Believe it or not, I think I'm gonna make this one. Please be sure there are no Chevies hiding in the trees. ;)

I also believe Daniel will make an appearance in his rhino-lined mini truck on 35's and chevy conversion. Should be fun!

dan1554
10-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Definitely planning on making it. Recovery gear and CB should be here tomorrow! Looking forward to my first club event.

MountainGoat
10-20-2010, 09:34 PM
We are in. The wife, myself and our 4 year old :Princess:.

:thumb:

Lars
10-20-2010, 09:40 PM
:DPlanning on being there. Do we pot luck first or Wheel first?

srptoy
10-20-2010, 11:49 PM
We are in also. My wife and I are looking forward to it. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help or bring besides the food.
Sean

nakman
10-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Go ahead and air down as soon as you get to Rollinsville. We'll drive for about 20-30 minutes, then we'll be at the cookout/dinner site. After that, it's another hour or so of driving, plus whatever extra time the group needs. Remember the trees are tight, it's a nice steady 2nd gear meander through the forest when you're only with a couple other trucks, but with a big group it may take a bit.

This is a new trail (to most of us, to the SNR) so just show up with a well maintained vehicle and prepare to have a great time.

MDH33
10-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Tim, do you have a vehicle cap on this run? Looks like it's nearing 15-20 rigs already.

nakman
10-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Tim, do you have a vehicle cap on this run? Looks like it's nearing 15-20 rigs already.

Nah, we're good, all are welcome. :)

RedCreeper
10-21-2010, 10:27 AM
This is a new trail (to most of us, to the SNR) so just show up with a well maintained vehicle and prepare to have a great time.

I hear ya. And it is well maintained for the record. :cool:

CardinalFJ60
10-21-2010, 12:57 PM
of course things may change, but this is what NOAA says:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Rollinsville&state=CO&site=BOU&textField1=39.92&textField2=-105.5&e=0

Gerdo
10-21-2010, 02:26 PM
I may be able to make this. A previously planed trip may be falling thru for me so my Saturday may be available. I had fun on last years snow run with a great group.

Air Randy
10-21-2010, 03:29 PM
I hear ya. And it is well maintained for the record. :cool:

Instead of "well maintained" it should have said "reliable". :D

Air Randy
10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
of course things may change, but this is what NOAA says:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Rollinsville&state=CO&site=BOU&textField1=39.92&textField2=-105.5&e=0

Woohoo, looks like we might have a little snow run! :thumb:

bh4rnnr
10-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Tim, Sean Boland will be coming up from CS for this trip. He is forcing me to ride along. He drives a clean white FJ60.

Lindsay works Sat night, thus my hesitant to go...

Randy, i'll look for ya on the trail:cool:

Gonna have to force you guys into some long night time exposures.

Gonna be a fun run!

:beer::beer:

rover67
10-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Me and Al are shooting for making the run. Maybe I can get the 40 out for it, but I gotta get it together first... we'll see. If we can't get the 40 going we'll bring the 60 so I guess it's a guarantee.. Al says she's going to come up with something as far as food goes. Looking forward to it.

gr8fulabe
10-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Hi all,
My wife & I might try to come for this in my Troopie. Is it too long/big to avoid scratches? It needs a lot of work, but I don't want to damage it. Also, I don't actually have a cb and all of the stuff you need to do trail runs with you guys. Does anyone have a list of required, vs suggested gear? and are walkie talkies okay or does it have to be a cb radio? Last question, if we couldn't do the trail ride, is the cookout/dinner first, so that we could do that & then roll home? We live in Boulder Canyon, so even if we couldn't do the ride, we could come for that since it isn't too far of a drive.
Thanks,
Abe

nakman
10-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Abe, happy to have you. You can definitely get your troopie to the cookout, it's early on and the trail is pretty mellow to that point, a couple little rocks to drive over, that's it, so yes you can do at least until the cookout. After the cookout is where it gets tighter- you'll have an advantage since you're narrow but a long wheelbase will make things more difficult. I've successfully run this in my 80 without any real damage (couple mirror bonks) and I know that's wider but I don't know how the wheelbases compare. One positive is there's no ledges to drop off or anything that would make your long rear end vulnerable.. it's just tree and edge of the trail negotiation.

As for CB this isn't Cruise Moab so it's not required, but it sure would be nice to have. Or better yet a Ham radio, but you're not getting a license before Saturday so that's out.. just something to keep in mind for all future club runs, the majority of the folks in the club who wheel run ham radio now. I'm sure there will be a few extra hand held radios you may be able to borrow so that you can listen into the conversation.

As for the rest of the gear just bring whatever you need to keep that thing running- a jack and some basic tools are pretty standard, as are gloves, flashlight, warm clothes, etc. the nice thing about a big group is if you don't have it someone else will.

RockRunner
10-22-2010, 08:27 AM
As far as I know for now I am out. I am getting Lasik surgery this weekend so I don't want to push it. We will try our best but don't count on us.:( But yeak for the Lasik :D

Caribou Sandstorm
10-22-2010, 08:36 AM
I have 2 real CB radios to loan anyone that does not have one but wants to particippate in the chatter..

Will try to arrive early. Debating on putting the 35s on, but the weather looks like I probably will just to be safe..

DaveInDenver
10-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Woohoo, looks like we might have a little snow run! :thumb:
If it's anything like SNR09 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=11169), that would mean people should warn the home office not to stay up waiting...

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=597

Air Randy
10-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Heh heh, just make sure anyone that is sprung over has a trac bar and a rear locker. Lets all pray to the mechanical gods that we have an incident free run :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

subzali
10-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Probably is usually about 50% that there will be any mechanical issues...:D

'05 - none that I remember, 'cept my unlocked FJ40 with bald tires trying to get up a steep, icy hill...and a nice FJ60 sliding into an abandoned vehicle that was barely off the trail...
'06 - ?
'07 - winch got stuck in "ON" position
'08 - a Ford had some issues
'09 - broken pinion
'10 - TBD...:D

Hm...seems the probability is higher - that's why it's called a "SPOOKY" Night Run...:D

Wish I could make it this year...:(

rover67
10-22-2010, 03:21 PM
giggidy

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=COZ036&warncounty=COC047&firewxzone=COZ216&local_place1=Rollinsville+CO&product1=Hazardous+Weather+Outlook

Air Randy
10-22-2010, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=rover67;165450]giggidyQUOTE]

THE SNOW LEVEL WILL BE AROUND 10 THOUSAND FEET TODAY...AND THEN LOWER TO BETWEEN BETWEEN 8 AND 9 THOUSAND FEET TONIGHT. THERE WILL BE SOME HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS...AND THEY WILL BE MOST NUMEROUS IN THE NORTHERN FRONT RANGE MOUNTAINS LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT...WHERE ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 10 INCHES ARE EXPECTED.

Right on bro! :thumb::thumb: Bring the tire chains :cool:

RedCreeper
10-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Looks like the HEEP is parked tlll next season. Detroit up front and snow equals disaster expected. Give me time to get the winter projects started. Be safe gang....

Air Randy
10-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Looks like the HEEP and snow equals disaster expected. Give me time to get the winter projects started. Be safe gang....

I fixed it for you Kenny :D

FJBRADY
10-22-2010, 05:49 PM
:lmao:

satchel
10-22-2010, 06:26 PM
My wife and I are looking to be there.

FJCDan
10-22-2010, 09:26 PM
My wife and I will be there also, and maybe a couple of the Grand kids too. Looking forward to do some night snow wheeling it has been too long!!!

Bruiser
10-23-2010, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=rover67;165450]giggidyQUOTE]

THE SNOW LEVEL WILL BE AROUND 10 THOUSAND FEET TODAY...AND THEN LOWER TO BETWEEN BETWEEN 8 AND 9 THOUSAND FEET TONIGHT. THERE WILL BE SOME HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS...AND THEY WILL BE MOST NUMEROUS IN THE NORTHERN FRONT RANGE MOUNTAINS LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT...WHERE ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 10 INCHES ARE EXPECTED.

Right on bro! :thumb::thumb: Bring the tire chains :cool:

I will keep you all posted. I live above Central City at around 8,700 ft. No snow yet although it is a little chilly and breezy. No snow on the ground either but on the highest mountain peaks around there is a dusting.

Justin

simps80
10-23-2010, 10:58 AM
shamm wow

i thought i posted in this thread a while back ...

me and the kids will be there tonight
looking forward to it!!!

Inukshuk
10-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Lindsay works Sat night, thus my hesitant to go...

Have you even talked to the girl yet!??!

See ya'll soon. Boo Yah!

rover67
10-23-2010, 02:10 PM
heated seats are in!

Now time to get the wipers working...

Uncle Ben
10-23-2010, 02:15 PM
heated seats are in!

Now time to get the wipers working...

:thumb::thumb::Princess::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::grinpimp:

nakman
10-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Alright here we go... see everyone in Rollinsville in about 3 hours, remember it's at least an hour away from your house so start packing up.. we air down at 4:30, we leave at 5:00.

The trail we'll be running is called Moon Gulch, which will take us on a scenic trip around Jumbo Mountain. If you have one of those spiral bound Wells guides, you'll find this trail on page 105. We'll be getting back on the pavement in Rollinsville for about a quarter mile headed south towards Blackhawk, then will head west on Moon gulch Road. After about 2.5 miles of dirt road we'll slowly creep through some houses, then pause just briefly enough to flip to low range.

we'll be on FR 431.1. From there it's another 2 miles or so until we cross the intersection with 289.1, which will veer off to the right. We won't go there. Instead we'll stay left, and will suddenly be on FR 290.1. don't look at me I didn't name these things.. but from that intersection it's another half mile then we'll stop for the cookout site.

After the cookout the trees get considerably tighter, and the road narrows. We'll proceed up hill for another half mile or so until another intersection, where we'll take a left and be on 413.1. No that's not dyslexia yes I said 431 before and now it's 413, and no we didn't actually make any turns, the numbering just changed. :confused: But after this intersection we'll proceed another couple miles, through the tightest and most technical section of the trail. Please stay focused here- it's tight, there's a shelf that drops to the right, and there are numerous trees and branches on both sides and overhead. A nice chug in 2nd gear low range should be about perfect..

We will then drive through some snow then pop out on the top of a small incline to an open parking area near some camp sites, where we'll take a left turn downhill, going right past a very large cement barricade. If you pass big cement thing on the left you're in good shape, as you're on the right track and it's just a few switchbacks to a county road below. But wait, there's more....

Just as we get into the suburbs of Apex, we'll be taking a sharp right turn and will head due west, towards the Mammoth Gulch/Kingston Peak roads, which last about 2 miles, it's a wide open dirt road and will likely be as fast as you feel like going in low range. Once at the intersection with Kingston Peak, the official "run" will be headed right downhill towards Tolland, to complete the loop 12 miles away in Rollinsville. Please keep your speed in check in this final downhill section, as there are some very slick snowy areas well hidden on the other side of some sharp curves.. and it actually gets worse the further down we get.

Some folks in the group who are up for more adventure may choose to not do this section, and instead turn left at the intersection above, and head for either Kingston Peak or the "shortcut to Yankee hill" section that we ran on last year's Spooky run, providing for multiple options out. OTOH folks who want the guarantee to not get lost will be following me back down to Rollinsville. :D

Map is below, also a .pdf that's suitable for downloading and printing. Please dress warm, and toss another hat in the truck just in case. time to decorate the Cruiser... :D

Uncle Ben
10-23-2010, 02:57 PM
I was close in my guess....I figured you planned the Gamble Gulch loop by your descriptions. Gonna be great! Enjoy! I'll be on call for rescue mission if needed.

nakman
10-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Cool thanks :kevin:... hey I'll be monitoring the connection all night, give me a shout any time for an update!

treerootCO
10-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Starter fixed :) It was what I suspected...too much torque on the studs lifted the copper deals.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-23-2010, 03:59 PM
We are bringing pizza, will have plenty for all the kids! Sorry not quite on theme but our kids are going to eat on the way..