PDA

View Full Version : My mailbox lasted about a week

treerootCO
05-21-2006, 07:46 AM
:( I dislike people sometimes.

Looks like they hit at at least 4 times.

nuclearlemon
05-21-2006, 08:03 AM
people suck:mad:

Uncle Ben
05-21-2006, 08:19 AM
Major bummer....design the next mailbox to hit back! ;) Definately time for Exo!

wesintl
05-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Look at the ruggedness of the toyota pieces though :)

Bummer :(

nakman
05-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Is that the same color as the 40? nice..

I'm with Uncle B, time for the cage. :weld:

PabloCruise
05-21-2006, 10:01 AM
I dunno - it kinda looks like a properly seasoned 40 now! Add some sliders and wheel it!

Beautiful work Mike!

Hulk
05-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Years ago, I had a neighbor who got tired of his mailbox being smashed. So he got a new mailbox, made an inside form, and poured about an inch of concrete inside, directly behind the metal. Whoever tried to whack his mailbox ended up hitting a box that had no "give" to it whatsoever.

Really sucks that some loser decided to smash your awesome custom mailbox, Mike.

subzali
05-21-2006, 07:42 PM
Must've been a Jeep guy...:rolleyes:

That's too bad to hear Mike, I mean nobody touched it for how long? And then all the sudden you put a little work into it and some dirtbag comes along and can't just leave it alone...

treerootCO
05-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Little crap like this makes me want to move. I know it was probably random but it sure feels like it was directed at me. What's next? The 40? It has new paint, why don't they beat the **** out of that, seems like a great idea. :rant:

AxleIke
05-21-2006, 11:57 PM
man, that is raw....neighbor had one once on a hinge type mechanism...He'd just go out as dusk came on, and unhook it, and lay it flat...in the morning before work, pick it up, and latch it down. Never got hit. Even had it's own soft grass collored mat.

2badfjs
05-22-2006, 09:23 AM
bummer mike.

bring it down and we can exo it and put sliders on.
fill it all with concrete...;)

farnhamstj
05-22-2006, 10:30 AM
You should build it like your front fenders. All tube with skin, make it hurt if it gets hit again.

Hulk
06-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Even 680-pound mailbox not safe from vandals

June 27, 2006
FROM STNG WIRE REPORTS
Glenn Boley could not stand to see his little plywood mailbox ruined by vandals again. So in 1996 the fed-up Orland Park man asked a welder in Sandwich to make him a mailbox that could withstand baseball bats, pumpkins or any other object that could be thrown its way.

The result was a 680-pound steel creation, standing on a post made of 4-by-8 pieces of wood boxed in by 2-by-6s. It worked like a charm -- until sometime after 12:30 a.m. Monday.

That's when the 80-year-old Boley and several of his neighbors on South 81st Court were jolted out of bed by what they said was an explosion that shook their homes. He went outside to find one side of his mailbox -- a hand-painted replica of his home -- bent outward.

"It had to be an explosive device," Boley said. "It would take a couple sticks of dynamite to touch that mailbox."

Orland Park police came to look at the mailbox and said they "did not find anything to indicate it was a fireworks device," and were unsure what means was used to cause the damage. Neighbors, however, said the dynamite theory is definitely in line with what they heard.

"My wife heard it, and we've been hearing other explosions like that around here lately," said Rick O'Meara, who lives a few houses away from Boley. "Someone down the block called the cops last week about another loud explosion."

Boley, whose family has a 165-year history in Orland Park, says he is not sure who or exactly what is responsible. But he's ready to ante up some money to find the guilty party. "I'd put up a $1,000 reward if anyone got convicted for it," he said.

As for the mailbox, which he hand-painted 10 years ago, Boley said it was time for a touch-up anyway. "I painted red bricks on it to look more like my house. But it needed to be sanded and repainted," he said.

From the Chicago Sun-Times (http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/vandals27.html)

Red_Chili
06-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Hmmm... I had the brilliant idea to make your next one out of 1/4" plate. Looks like that would not be dynamite proof though. Still, you have the technology...

Get a deer cam. That way, when they whack it, you get a pic of the perp. My money is on a bored sub-sixteen tagger equivalent.

Years or IQ, either works in this case.