PDA

View Full Version : Cashmere Beige Metallic (4M9) Rattle Can

coax
10-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Nakman's thread about rattle can touchup's (plus the recent rain) prompted me to order up some paint from the sherwin williams in boulder.

So long story short, their min order is two cans of a custom color, so I have those coming in a Cashmere Beige Metallic (4M9). However I'm not doing a large area so will probably only need one. If anyone with a lexus needs a can of the stuff (Dimension Base) let me know. I'll be picking it up on Thurs and will know final price then, but its about 12-13 a can.

The guy was super helpful (Chip iirc) but was clear that this isn't a factory quality paint (they don't do rattle can of that stuff) but they usually have pretty good luck with matching, etc. I'll be trying it out on my roof and can post pics of how well it matches.

Corey

Jacket
10-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Price seems to depend on what you order and if you are "regular" or not. My first order for 1A6 was 2/$25, but this last time I ordered some single stage paint and reducer for the FJ40 plus two more cans of aerosol 1A6, and they only charged me $6 / can for the rattle cans.

Uncle Ben
10-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Left it alone but you guys do realize NAPA or anyone who mixes paint can put it in rattle cans and has been able to for decades.... If you are going to spend the money on SW I suggest doing it from paint chip rather than color code so they can match the fading/oxidation rendering.

Jacket
10-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I've used the Napa cans as well, but I like the quality better from Sherwin Williams. And IIRC - the price is about the same. I'm not trying to get an exact color match (I'm not painting the body panels), so I'm fine with the rattle can with the original formula.

Uncle Ben
10-12-2010, 12:13 PM
I've used the Napa cans as well, but I like the quality better from Sherwin Williams. And IIRC - the price is about the same. I'm not trying to get an exact color match (I'm not painting the body panels), so I'm fine with the rattle can with the original formula.

SW does make superior paint! NAPA actually used to have Martin Senior paint products but like all NAPA stuff these days they have went to quantity imported products over quality. My post was in reference more to paint put in rattle cans for you. A cheap detail HVLP gun purchase will save you a lot of money as you can buy a quart of paint for $50 with a gallon of reducer for $40+ vrs 4oz's of rattle can paint (2oz of paint 2oz of reducer) for $12

coax
10-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Left it alone but you guys do realize NAPA or anyone who mixes paint can put it in rattle cans and has been able to for decades.... If you are going to spend the money on SW I suggest doing it from paint chip rather than color code so they can match the fading/oxidation rendering.

Cool, I am very new to the whole body work/paint thing so I didn't know that napa did that. I called my local napa and they said their store doesn't mix it but the warehouse in denver, and its 25 bucks per can :eek: At any rate, good to know there are options.

Uncle Ben
10-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Cool, I am very new to the whole body work/paint thing so I didn't know that napa did that. I called my local napa and they said their store doesn't mix it but the warehouse in denver, and its 25 bucks per can :eek: At any rate, good to know there are options.

WHOLLY POOH BATMAN! :eek: I just painted my 40 with NAPA paint and I had 1 can of 1 part made up in rattle for trail touch up. Total was about $350 for 2 quarts of base coat, 2 quarts of top coat and 1 gallon of medium evap reducer! The rattle was $12 for the can! This whole multi tear pricing levels everyone is going to these days make sit really hared to find deals or even encourage anyone to work on their own stuff!