PDA

View Full Version : Ouray to Lake City - July 4

Holland
05-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Can anyone give me info about the trails to Lake City from Ouray over either Engineer or Cinnamon Passes. Is that generally doable the first week of July? Oh, stock FZJ80 with lockers and scared of heights wife and dog.

Nice site BTW, Thanks!

Holland

AxleIke
05-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Don't know about it being open the first week in july, but possible. They usually clear the snow out on some of the roads over there.

If it is clear, then you should have no problem, your land cruiser will be fine.

Romer
05-21-2006, 07:43 PM
I don't know if you will be able to do it since your scared of your wife and dog unless you leave them at home!

subzali
05-21-2006, 07:44 PM
I took Engineer from Lake City to Ouray and it was a pretty drive. Stock '97 Tacoma with no lockers or anything. The only kinda scary part was going down on the Ouray side and getting a *little* off-camber on a couple sections, and then there's a pretty good drop off, but if you're going up that section (from Ouray to Lake City) then it's not that bad. Good choice :thumb:

Shark Bait
05-21-2006, 07:46 PM
I recetly post this to IH8MUD.com:

That is my favorite part of the state.

Imogene Pass, Black Bear Pass and Ophir Pass will get you to and from Ouray and Telluride. While you're down there, take Cinnamon Pass from Silverton, via Animas Forks, to Lake City, and Engineer Pass from Lake City back to Ouray.

Make sure to spend some time at the Ouray hot springs. They're really nice and don't have the sulfur smell like Glenwood Springs and some others.

Contact the US Forest Service (http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/state_list.shtml#Colorado) and get maps for Uncompaghre NF and Gunnison NF and you'll see the trails .

If you want any more detailed information, let me know.

Also, check out the Rising Sun forum page. Post up there and you might get some takers from our club to join you. I'm going to be tied up end of June, otherwise I'd come down.

Have fun and good luck!

Darren
05-22-2006, 10:45 AM
The San Juans currently have around 28% of normal snowpack and the roads are currently about 2 weeks ahead of their normal opening pace. Cinnamon is scheduled to be open on 5/25 and they're also currently working on Engineer which is scheduled to open on 6/10. They'll long be open by the time you're down there.

As for other area roads, the east side of Ophir is currently open. Black Bear is the last to be cleared and they usually aim to have that open on July 4, though with years like last year, that's not always possible. This year, I would count on everything being open the first week in July.

Your scared-of-heights wife and dog should be your only limiting factor.

Holland
05-22-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks guys, that was just the type of information I was looking for.