PDA

View Full Version : Maze or swell?

wesintl
10-16-2010, 12:01 PM
I have some time to burn... disappointed I could have gone on the outlaws run but there isn't one this year. :o

anyone want to take off a mon-tues and hit the Maze or Swell for 4 days? :confused:

nattybumppo
10-16-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm planning on going somewhere out there in November...sometime between Tuesday the 16th and Sunday the 21st. Leaning toward the Swell after that last trip report, but also maybe Butler Wash area. Would this timeframe work?

MountainGoat
10-16-2010, 08:34 PM
I might be able to make it. Are you planning on bringing the fam or flying solo?

wesintl
10-17-2010, 12:57 PM
that sounds a little far out and bumps into the next week with thanksgiving holiday

Dan, def solo. Wife is done camping, we had planned to go to the swell this weekend/mon/tues and she decided she was done camping.

I'm starting to prefer the maze since i've done the basic stuff in the swell.

nattybumppo
10-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Speaking of the Maze, check this out...sounds like heaven!

http://www.utah.com/offroad/flint_hill.htm

Hulk
10-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Wife is done camping.

For the year, or for ever?

wesintl
10-18-2010, 02:57 PM
for the year...

subzali
10-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Wish I could go...I need to explore a lot more of Utah, both by Land Cruiser and by foot.

MDH33
10-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Wes, do you know if campsites are available in the Maze? They're on a permit reservations system.

Sounds like fun. :thumb:

MountainGoat
10-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Okay. I can get a hall pass for the weekend after Halloween. I can take off Friday and Monday, but I have to be back for a meeting on Tuesday. So that would be the 5, 6, 7 and 8th. Can that work for you Wes?

Martin, what would it take to get you out with us man? :hill:

Mendocino
10-18-2010, 07:47 PM
I might be up for 19-22 November. If all goes well I would be bringing the virgin 100 so I would want something that was not going to tear up the thing out of the gate.:)

MDH33
10-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Okay. I can get a hall pass for the weekend after Halloween. I can take off Friday and Monday, but I have to be back for a meeting on Tuesday. So that would be the 5, 6, 7 and 8th. Can that work for you Wes?

Martin, what would it take to get you out with us man? :hill:

I would love to go, but November 6 is the Trail Creek work day with CUSP.

wesintl
10-19-2010, 02:43 PM
I was just going to pull off the side and camp wherever...

Dan, I just talked to jordon at hans flat. Permits are totally open (there is only 1 taken that weekend so we can stay wherever we want)

I need to talk to wife and clear it but those days look great.

DaveInDenver
10-19-2010, 02:50 PM
I was just going to pull off the side and camp wherever...
Inside the Maze district is permitted and vehicle camps are established, like Islands in the Sky and the White Rim. You'll also need to know the number of vehicles for the permit (although I would just ask for the max of 3 trucks and 9 people). I would suggest considering setting one day as a base camp, two-night stay and hike a few of the trails.

wesintl
10-19-2010, 02:59 PM
you know i'm kidding.. right dave?

DaveInDenver
10-19-2010, 03:02 PM
you know i'm kidding.. right dave?
Yeah, just wasn't sure of you knew the 3 truck per permit max, though. Logistics for these things is a PITA, having 'led' a few White Rim and planning a spring Maze trip. Getting a group of mountain bikers organized is a lot like herding cats.

Pk7yqlTMvp8

Caribou Sandstorm
10-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Wes, I was thinking about heading out Nov. 12th-14th. Not sure that works for you. I pinged a coulple guys to see if they were interested earlier before I saw your thread.

I was thinking of doing a kokopelli trail run, cause it is easy to get to but I don't really care where I am, as long as it is Southern Utah..

I am pretty sure if we are under 8 vehicles no permit necessary on the kokopelli trail.

MountainGoat
10-20-2010, 10:49 AM
I would love to go, but November 6 is the Trail Creek work day with CUSP.

Dude, I would really like to help with the CUSP work day and didn't realize that it was on the weekend I suggested. :(

Wes, could we make the next weekend work for you (12-15th)? Martin, if we moved it back could you come? :hill:

coax
10-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Sounds like you guys got 3 vehicles, but if for some reason not, there's a good chance I could persuade my boss to let me take some time off work. (Though this would be the first long-range adventure in the cruiser. At least my HG wont fail :) )

Wes, would you take snow chains? I've been to canyonlands but never out to the maze; apparently if it snows/rains the roads get pretty darn bad? (or non-existent in the case of white rim :eek: )

Caribou Sandstorm
10-20-2010, 01:28 PM
I could potentially, move my days from a Friday thru Sunday, to a Fri -Monday if more time is needed or even leave late Sat after noon-home by Tuesday. Wes does that work for you?

Hey Ralston, would that work for you or too much time off from work?

Farnham?

wesintl
10-20-2010, 03:27 PM
eh. i'm amenable.. are you set on kokapelli or do you want to go to the maze? Your weekend is starting to look better although I need make sure the xyl doesn't have me attending a play that weekend. I'll confirm tonight.I know the 5/6 there a b-days to attend ad wyatt doesn't want to go to a princess party so said xyl wants me to watch kid. the 12-15 is nice solo time

MountainGoat
10-20-2010, 08:02 PM
I really want to nail this thing down. Wes, as soon as you can confirm the 12-15 post up. I want to confirm with Martin that I can do the CUSP work day on the 6th. :thumb:

wesintl
10-20-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm good with 12-15 dan

MountainGoat
10-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Schaweet. It's on.

AxleIke
10-20-2010, 09:56 PM
ARG!!!! I want to go soooo bad. I have been to the maze several times and it is a BLAST. Best part of Canyonlands, IMO.

I can't make any of these dates due to no vacation and hunting, but if I can offer some advice, do the maze. Wheeling isn't challenging, (unless its has washed) but you simply cannot beat the solitude and hikes. Obviously the scenery is amazing.

Only word of caution, you MUST, MUST, MUST bring spare gas. If you are driving something with less than 200 mile range on a normal, road driven tank, I'd take 10 gallons. You eat it FAST out there.

One trip, the runner made it out (300 mile range) on FUMES. On a trip my brother did, his bone stock 95 runner did not make it. Had to get AAA to bring gas in. Both times, the trucks were filled up at the last gas station available.

Its a LONG way between camp and the nearest fuel station. I want to say 40 ish miles from the dirt to gas, plus the dirt (30 to 60 depending on how much driving you do out there.). Double it to get back, and figure losses due to low range cruising.

If there was any way I could get out there, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Cool, Wes! I am more interested in the Maze for sure, since I haven't done it.

So I am in also!

wesintl
10-21-2010, 09:30 AM
we should kidnap perry as our guide... perry? ive got an open seat...

MDH33
10-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Just my :twocents: but a Maze trip really deserves more than 4 days. It takes a full day + just to get into the Teapot Canyon/Dollhouse area from Denver. You would have one night in the maze and then have to start driving out again. No time for hiking/exploring/relaxing. If you left Thursday night and camped closer, then had all day Friday to get into the Maze, that would leave Sat/Sun open for hanging out. :thumb:

Also, there's a thread on ExpUT that the Poison Springs road crossing at the dirty devil is impassible, so your choices for access are either down the Flint trail or up from Hite marina. If you're stopping at Hans Flat, then it would be down the Flint I guess. Do you already have campsites picked out?

:beer:

MDH33
10-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Wes, could we make the next weekend work for you (12-15th)? Martin, if we moved it back could you come? :hill:

I'm working on it. :thumb: :bowdown::Princess:

wesintl
10-21-2010, 10:17 AM
I agree but we don't have to get all the way to doll house and trying to get off more than 4 days with my 2 little ones isn't easy. my early planning says leave fri and get to one of the closer sites. sat wheel and stay somewhere like doll house or millard canyon.. do the same sun. then take a long road out monday and come home. lots of seat time but I don't care, you gotta make it work :D. I can try and work on something more concrete unless you have some good ideas for a route martin. do you have the EXut link?

bh4rnnr
10-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Wes, put me down for this trip:thumb:.

As for routes, Martin already mentioned the ways in. It's hard to say what the condition of the Dirty Devil River crossing is.... Entering in through Poision Spring is a lot of fun, though you have to cover some milage. The Flint trail is a bunch of fun.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-21-2010, 01:56 PM
I have spare Sceptor cans if anyone wants to borrow one vs. have to go buy one, Wes not sure what rig you are bringing but also have a diesel sceptor, as well, if you need a second one.

I am fabbing a gas can holder for my bumper and picking up a new flat style Geri can in sage green for my spare tire.

And I secured the all important Hall Pass!!

MountainGoat
10-21-2010, 02:12 PM
I have spare Sceptor cans if anyone wants to borrow one vs. have to go buy one ...

I'll probably take you up on the offer Chris. Do you have more than one? I was thinking 2 would be good. Or do we need more than 10 gallons ... :dunno:

MDH33
10-21-2010, 02:51 PM
I'll probably take you up on the offer Chris. Do you have more than one? I was thinking 2 would be good. Or do we need more than 10 gallons ... :dunno:

I needed 20 extra gallons in the 40 last time, but we did poison spring, which added a lot of trail mileage. :hill:

MountainGoat
10-21-2010, 02:59 PM
I needed 20 extra gallons in the 40 last time, but we did poison spring, which added a lot of trail mileage. :hill:

Holy crap. Maybe we should hire Timztoy to weld us up an offroad tanker trailer. :hill:

Caribou Sandstorm
10-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Ike says 10 extra should do the trick.

I have 2 Sceptor gas and one Sceptor diesel, but the diesel has only had gas in it, so if Wes doesn't need it, we can use it.

I will only need one of my Sceptor gas cans, since I am trying to pick up this other flat one, so I have at least one for you if you need it.

check out their website, kind of a cool concept, maybe old hat..

http://www.expeditionone.biz/assets/geri_intro.jpg

http://www.expeditionone.biz/geri_main.htm

Just saw Martin's post...wow.. we are going to need to use all my cans, I won't need that much but will bring them for anyone that does.

Btw I have a brand new (unused) frontrunner 2 can mount set up that I can't use with my Sceptors (they don't fit).. I will sell it for 80.00, I paid 100.00

This is the actual manufacturer
https://www.rotopax.com/home.php

They make a sage green version for Europe, see the write up for the expo 2010 in the spring 2010 Overland Journal, there is a photo. There are 4 on the back of a jeep.

Apparently, US requires red only (?) for fuel and they make sage green for europe, they are selling the crap out of these for Europe. I am trying to get one, out the back door.

Jacket
10-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Wes, put me down for this trip:thumb:.

You taking a date? :Princess:

wesintl
10-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I should be good with 2 nato cans of diesel and the mother of all spouts...

http://www.pinzgauer.com/shpicfile.php?file=../data/pics/sav4220.jpg

Caribou Sandstorm
10-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Also I have a buddy from Indiana that might want to make the drive.

He goes by Woodsman on the FJC forum, hella of nice guy..nothing like me..haha

He drives a well equipped tan FJC

And I found out last night "C" stands for car...:eek::lmao:

wesintl
10-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Wes, would you take snow chains? I've been to canyonlands but never out to the maze; apparently if it snows/rains the roads get pretty darn bad? (or non-existent in the case of white rim :eek: )

Should be fine without chains. Perry has been out there when it's mucky...

Caribou Sandstorm
10-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Is this the same area they filmed Scott Brady on Dangerous drives?

bh4rnnr
10-21-2010, 08:37 PM

And to think you were not bombing it like Kurt was (at night):eek:. I wonder if your signage on the old car is still there:confused:.

Ike says 10 extra should do the trick.

I have 2 Sceptor gas and one Sceptor diesel, but the diesel has only had gas in it, so if Wes doesn't need it, we can use it.

I will only need one of my Sceptor gas cans, since I am trying to pick up this other flat one, so I have at least one for you if you need it.

check out their website, kind of a cool concept, maybe old hat..

http://www.expeditionone.biz/assets/geri_intro.jpg

http://www.expeditionone.biz/geri_main.htm

Just saw Martin's post...wow.. we are going to need to use all my cans, I won't need that much but will bring them for anyone that does.

Btw I have a brand new (unused) frontrunner 2 can mount set up that I can't use with my Sceptors (they don't fit).. I will sell it for 80.00, I paid 100.00

This is the actual manufacturer
https://www.rotopax.com/home.php

They make a sage green version for Europe, see the write up for the expo 2010 in the spring 2010 Overland Journal, there is a photo. There are 4 on the back of a jeep.

Apparently, US requires red only (?) for fuel and they make sage green for europe, they are selling the crap out of these for Europe. I am trying to get one, out the back door.

Chris, it's not that bad. Did the whole trip with the runner on a full tank. After you drive up the flint from the Maze, it's high speeds (75mph) to Green River (Ray's Tavern).

You taking a date? :Princess:

As of yet, no. Have not seen the :Princess: since Monday and it's driving me crazy. She was groping me that day.....

Should be fine without chains. Perry has been out there when it's mucky...

With Kurt's Taco and Paul Mays Hundy, we traveled the Swell a hundred miles in one day. The roads were a gumbo mess. Richard shot his gun and Kurt explored an old mine (the whole freakin thing!).

To think this is minor compared to the Utah Cruiser Expedition II. Four days, 1500 miles; 800some are dirt.

Realy? This film was so overdone. Kudos to the guys getting out. But i'm sure you've crossed that first creek crossing Chris. When the Brutte ran out of gas, it was in the high section of Beef Basin. You've been there dude, with Robbie no less!

Caribou Sandstorm
10-21-2010, 08:43 PM
I just read Natty's link he posted..This is going to be epic! I am stoked you are tour guiding this gig Perry!

Woodsman
10-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Also I have a buddy from Indiana that might want to make the drive.

He goes by Woodsman on the FJC forum, hella of nice guy..nothing like me..haha

And I found out last night "C" stands for car...:eek::lmao:

Here I be ! I'd love to make the trip. Work is slow and my boss says I can take off the rest of the year if I want . . . I just won't get paid. PS-I'm self-employed.

:cheers:

Caribou Sandstorm
10-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Welcome to the Rising Sun forum James!

coax
10-23-2010, 09:39 AM

I had to go watch this episode just to see what was up! Looks like a cool adventure. Though I love how in 2 min on the show they go from "seeing what the Hemi will do" to "we are almost out of gas" :lmao:

That original route all the way around and through canyonlands is on my list of trips to take, though I think I'll start with something smaller.

coax
10-23-2010, 10:02 AM
do you have the EXut link?

Also, there's a thread on ExpUT that the Poison Springs road crossing at the dirty devil is impassible, so your choices for access are either down the Flint trail or up from Hite marina.

This might be it:

http://www.expeditionutah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1626

MDH33
10-23-2010, 10:18 AM
This might be it:

http://www.expeditionutah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1626

yeah, that's the one. Looks like it was several weeks ago, so probably passable by now, although I would probably still recommend the flint trail/hite marina route just for time.

:cheers:

FJBRADY
10-23-2010, 10:48 AM

Dude do all your friends drive FJC's, :cool: Welcome James.....since your talking the year off we will see you at CM 2011.

That is a good looking spout, Wes. :thumb:

Woodsman
10-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Dude do all your friends drive FJC's, :cool: Welcome James.....since your talking the year off we will see you at CM 2011.

Thanks for the welcome. I was at CM2010 (see poser pic below on Cane Creek) and am awaiting dates for CM2011. Oh, and I was the guy on Chris's Elephant Hill run whos Superwinch quit while recovering the rolled over mini truck.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/Cruise%20Moab%202010/312.jpg

For the record, although I don't have anything against the FJ, I'd sure like to add an 80 series/LX450 to my stable in the future.

FJBRADY
10-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Right on, I just give Davis a hard time because I used to have an FJC also.

nattybumppo
10-23-2010, 01:01 PM
I might be up for 19-22 November. If all goes well I would be bringing the virgin 100 so I would want something that was not going to tear up the thing out of the gate.:)

I am still looking for company during that timeframe. I am thinking of a fairly mild venue since my 60 is open, unlocked, on 31s and has no sliders. Maybe we can have two Rising Sun Utah trips this November. :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
10-27-2010, 12:27 PM
More Maze info....

http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/canyonlands/national_park.html

http://www.naturalarches.org/gallery-UTmaze.htm

http://www.travelheadlines.utah.com/2010/10/jeeping-into-maze.html

Looking forward to doing this!

coax
10-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Those are some great pics of the arches! Not sure if Going by Robbers Roost is part of your trip, but this site has some good canyoneering information. http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/roost/

MDH33
10-27-2010, 01:12 PM
There's some good info and pics in our trip report from '08 too:

Outlaws Run '08 (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=8296&highlight=maze)

:guapo:

MDH33
10-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Wes and Dan, are you guys driving your 40's? I don't want to hold the group up if I take mine. ;)

wesintl
10-27-2010, 10:14 PM
i'm planning on the bj70 even though the 80 would be more comfortable and faster.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Martin, Your 40 is pretty awesome, I would bring what you want to..

The only rushing I will be doing is the commute home. :)

Wes do you have a route picked for us yet? Just curious, so I can have some thing to gauk at until then..

MountainGoat
10-28-2010, 07:01 AM
Wes and Dan, are you guys driving your 40's? I don't want to hold the group up if I take mine. ;)

I am either taking my pickup or my 80. I need some input on how tough the route is in order to make a decision. The pickup is a stock 94 22RE 5sp with good AT tires but they are only 31s. No lockers or armor but much better gas mileage than the 80. Can anybody tell me if I need more truck than this?

Martin, you don't need to worry about holding us up man. Oh yeah, does this mean you are coming? :hill:

MDH33
10-28-2010, 07:24 AM
i'm planning on the bj70 even though the 80 would be more comfortable and faster.

Right on. I can hang with the 70 unless you're winding up the turbo often. :cool:

Martin, Your 40 is pretty awesome, I would bring what you want to..

The only rushing I will be doing is the commute home. :)

Wes do you have a route picked for us yet? Just curious, so I can have some thing to gauk at until then..

Thanks Chris. I guess I can always stay in contact with the ham as you guys rally bomb the fast sections of road. ;) I may end up driving the 60 if the weather says a lot of snow in Colorado. It would be safer driving I70 in snowy conditions.

I'm curious about the route and campsites as well. If we have 6 vehicles, we'll need to consider which campsites to get permits for and which ones can accommodate a group this size.

My recommendation would be to head South from Green River to Hans Flat Ranger station, then get campsites up there the first night. Then the next day head to the Dollhouse if possible. Spend Saturday and Sunday at the Dollhouse then Bomb home Monday. Although, it might be cool to see the North End and camp at Millard or Maze Overlook too. It will be awesome wherever.

I am either taking my pickup or my 80. I need some input on how tough the route is in order to make a decision. The pickup is a stock 94 22RE 5sp with good AT tires but they are only 31s. No lockers or armor but much better gas mileage than the 80. Can anybody tell me if I need more truck than this?

Martin, you don't need to worry about holding us up man. Oh yeah, does this mean you are coming? :hill:

It's looking positive that I can go as long as I can get a babysitter. :thumb:

Your pickup will probably be fine unless there is nasty weather and the road gets bad. In that case we'll all be having troubles. (I have a set of 31x1050 chains you can borrow if it's an ice/mudslick). Like I mentioned earlier, I may take the 60 if Colorado is getting snow. I would be open and on 31's too. There are no difficult obstacles, just rough road. The section through Teapot canyon had some small ledges and cracks, but people had stacked rock and when I was in there last I saw several stock rigs.

You need to get a Ham before the trip Dan!

Inukshuk
10-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Hmmm.....

Caribou Sandstorm
10-28-2010, 10:32 AM
I have a hand held Ham Dan can use if he wants to listen in, I also have 2 extra handheld CBs.

Well, I think I will join you guys with the smaller tire option, sounds like no need to put on the 315s and the gas mileage benefits are huge...

I also have a 2 extra cots, that fit into small tents if anyone is thinking of going that rout and wants to borrow them.

Really looking forward to this trip..just 15 days out from today..

MountainGoat
10-28-2010, 10:51 AM
I have a hand held Ham Dan can use if he wants to listen in, I also have 2 extra handheld CBs.

The handheld ham would be awesome. You guys can ask me yes or no questions and I can answer by flashing my headlights or something. :hill:

Jacket
10-28-2010, 02:08 PM
The handheld ham would be awesome. You guys can ask me yes or no questions and I can answer by flashing my headlights or something. :hill:

It's time to get on the bandwagon Dan....sheeesh. http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/smileys/tinfoilhat2.gif

wesintl
10-28-2010, 02:25 PM
My recommendation would be to head South from Green River to Hans Flat Ranger station, then get campsites up there the first night. Then the next day head to the Dollhouse if possible. Spend Saturday and Sunday at the Dollhouse then Bomb home Monday. Although, it might be cool to see the North End and camp at Millard or Maze Overlook too. It will be awesome wherever.

I think i need a delorme utah to really understand where these trails meet hwy 95. I have an idea but need to see them on a map. anyway

My initial guess is similar to martins get to a closer camsite for fri night. get to doll house sat. and either go somewhere else like ekker or millard sun and bolt monday.
When I talked to the ranger pretty much everything in nov is open and will pretty much have the place to ourselves but we do need to nail down who is going since it's 9 people and 3 rigs in a campground. IMHO we should limit it to six rigs since there are only 2 sites that will technically accommodate this besides flint seep, it's doll house and maze overlook.

ME
Dan
Sandstorm
fjcruiser guy-woodsman
martin ?

Riders:
PeRRy

others have expressed interest but I can't tell if they are in or out.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Art, Daniel?? time to jump in...

bh4rnnr
10-28-2010, 03:17 PM
I think i need a delorme utah to really understand where these trails meet hwy 95. I have an idea but need to see them on a map. anyway

My initial guess is similar to martins get to a closer camsite for fri night. get to doll house sat. and either go somewhere else like ekker or millard sun and bolt monday.
When I talked to the ranger pretty much everything in nov is open and will pretty much have the place to ourselves but we do need to nail down who is going since it's 9 people and 3 rigs in a campground. IMHO we should limit it to six rigs since there are only 2 sites that will technically accommodate this besides flint seep, it's doll house and maze overlook.

ME
Dan
Sandstorm
fjcruiser guy-woodsman
martin ?

Wes,

Just wanted to make sure you saw that I was in:):thumb:

wesintl
10-28-2010, 03:31 PM
as a rider not as a driver right?

MDH33
10-28-2010, 03:59 PM
Wes, put me down as confirmed if you're going to limit it as 6 for permits. :beer:

bh4rnnr
10-28-2010, 05:11 PM
as a rider not as a driver right?

Yes, a rider.

nuclearlemon
10-28-2010, 05:38 PM
if it was the week of thanksgiving i'd be in...but i've got jury duty that monday morning...after that i'm free:(

Convert
10-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Art, Daniel?? time to jump in...

Very tempting Hum... let me see

rover67
10-28-2010, 05:55 PM
you guys can borrow my HT if you want too.

I can't come, i'll be out of the country.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Check out this thread good info..I like where one guy writes the best photo he has taken in the past 5 years was at the Maze overlook.

Wes/Perry/Martin, Are we driving by this sign?? Hope so, want to stop and take a picture..

http://up.picr.de/5352147.jpg

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39696

MDH33
10-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Check out this thread good info..I like where one guy writes the best photo he has taken in the past 5 years was at the Maze overlook.

Wes/Perry/Martin, Are we driving by this sign?? Hope so, want to stop and take a picture.

If we drive down from Hans Flat Ranger Station we will.

I'm thinking we might want to make the Overlook the destination if it's available. I've always wanted to see it. :thumb:

Inukshuk
10-28-2010, 08:18 PM

Not in yet, but considering. Part of my decision will depend on what your plan is. Feels to me like 4 days is more rushed than I would like to get to the Dollhouse. Its a very long day from Hans Flat to the Dollhouse. 6 hours? As I recall, its 3 hours at a good clip from just the Canyonlands boundary to the Dollhouse sites. If you have never been to the Dollhouse and simply want to see it, sure. But since I have been, for me I'd want more time out of the truck.

Just on highway, in my 80, its 5 hours to Green River.

Ekker and Millard sound like nice areas to explore and avoid permits and the long road to the Dollhouse. Those areas all north of the Flint Trail I think. Of course, tons to explore.

......but we do need to nail down who is going since it's 9 people and 3 rigs in a campground. IMHO we should limit it to six rigs since there are only 2 sites that will technically accommodate this besides flint seep, it's doll house and maze overlook.

At the dollhouse, #1 & 2 are close enough that its a short walk between. There is also a nearby parking area when a rig can be left overnight while all camp at one site. We (me, Perry & Martin) stayed at Doll House #2 last time. I'd recommend #1 as easier for a group to hang out, using #2 for overflow people and parking.

For me a the trip planning is also fun. If you guys are up for it, we could meet for a beer at a place with big tables, spread out the maps and talk.

Poison Springs Canyon route to dollhouse was 59 miles by my GPS. A very full day.

Remember: need toilets, may need fire pan (if fires even allowed, bring wood - I have a bunch of construction scrap) and no pets in Canyon lands.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-28-2010, 09:06 PM
We could meet Wednesday at On The Border, early before the club meeting and look at Maps?

Mendocino
10-28-2010, 10:05 PM
I really wish this was not the weekend of the 6-7 as I would be in with the new 100. Have fun fellas, I'm jealous.

MountainGoat
10-28-2010, 10:21 PM
We could meet Wednesday at On The Border, early before the club meeting and look at Maps?

That sounds like a great idea. I just got the Trails Illustrated maps for the Maze, Needles and Island in the Sky. The one I used in the Swell helped immensely. We could meet either before or after the meeting. Either way works for me.

I really wish this was not the weekend of the 6-7 as I would be in with the new 100. Have fun fellas, I'm jealous.

It is the 12-15, NOT the 6-7. Does that mean you can make it, Jeff? :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
10-28-2010, 10:27 PM
Before the meeting is better for me, but I will do whatever works best for everyone.

bh4rnnr
10-29-2010, 08:06 AM
If we drive down from Hans Flat Ranger Station we will.

I'm thinking we might want to make the Overlook the destination if it's available. I've always wanted to see it. :thumb:

I second that!

Doe we know if permits are available?

MDH33
10-29-2010, 08:14 AM

If Doll House and the Overlook are the only 2 that can accommodate 6 rigs, then I would say lets call and get the permits. The overlook is a 3 hour drive from Hans Flat, Dollhouse and Millard are both 6 hours. It will probably take 10+ hours to drive from Dollhouse to Millard, so that isn't really feasible. I would be fine with spending more than one night at either dollhouse or the overlook. It would give us some time to explore the maze on foot. :thumb:

coax
10-29-2010, 09:28 AM
but we do need to nail down who is going since it's 9 people and 3 rigs in a campground. IMHO we should limit it to six rigs since there are only 2 sites that will technically accommodate this besides flint seep, it's doll house and maze overlook.

I think I'm one of those people^^. Sounds like you guys have a full crew, and being my cruiser has yet to be off-road tested since all the recent work it may be better if I pass due to the remote nature of the Maze.

Corey

Caribou Sandstorm
10-29-2010, 09:54 AM
I am looking at maps as we speak, Wes or Martin, if you have a min give me a call Three zero Three eight eight one six six three zero..

I can call and get the permits if you need me to.

MDH33
10-29-2010, 10:49 AM
I'll defer to Wes since it's his plan and he has invited us. I'll be stoked no matter where we go. :thumb:

Convert
10-29-2010, 11:27 AM
I can get the time off and would love to go but I don't want to butt inline ahead of those that had expressed interest before me. Wes let me know if there's an opening.

wesintl
10-29-2010, 11:28 AM
I chatted with Chris and while we know it will be long days it's difficult for us to get a hall pass for more than we have now. We want to see what we can see and drive what we can drive.

Daniel, If you want to spend more time out there hiking by all means leave early and get out there a day or two before hand or stay later.

we talked about staying close to hans flat fri night. sat go to doll house. and sunday either go to maze overlook or something a little closer to be able to get out on monday.

MDH33
10-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Wes, Just curious, do we have to go to Hans Flat for permits? If we can get them in the mail or via email, we could come in from the South via Hite marina/95, which would be faster to get to the Dollhouse than via 24/Hans Flat/Flint Trail. There's also fuel at Hite.

wesintl
10-29-2010, 11:39 AM
you mean go all the way south on 24 to hite?

Mendocino
10-29-2010, 11:47 AM
...It is the 12-15, NOT the 6-7. Does that mean you can make it, Jeff? :thumb:

Actually I have we too much on my plate at work and I'm not sure that the bone stock 100 is up to the task. I'm out.:(

bh4rnnr
10-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Wes, Just curious, do we have to go to Hans Flat for permits? If we can get them in the mail or via email, we could come in from the South via Hite marina/95, which would be faster to get to the Dollhouse than via 24/Hans Flat/Flint Trail. There's also fuel at Hite.

Martin, you dont need to stop at Hans Flat. I was able to call in the last time. All they need is the Driver names and vehicle info (plates).

MDH33
10-29-2010, 11:50 AM
you mean go all the way south on 24 to hite?

I was thinking 191 to 95, but after looking at the map, that's more out of the way than I thought. Never mind. :hill:

MDH33
10-29-2010, 12:00 PM
we talked about staying close to hans flat fri night. sat go to doll house. and sunday either go to maze overlook or something a little closer to be able to get out on monday.

That sounds perfect, lets make it happen. PMing you my vehicle info. :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
10-29-2010, 01:31 PM
Hey Convert (Dan),

You would make 6, Daniel M would make 6 also, but he is yet unconfirmed.

Which Dan will it be??

Caribou Sandstorm
10-29-2010, 01:33 PM
So Perry are you calling it in? I can PM you my info.

Woodsman
10-29-2010, 04:43 PM
I'm still in. Sitting here twiddling my thumbs.

Indiana 516ZZA

coax
10-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Not much info in the post, but from a recent trip into the maze:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=741264#post741264

bh4rnnr
10-29-2010, 07:31 PM
So Perry are you calling it in? I can PM you my info.

Didn't think I was, but can if need to.

Woodsman
10-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Not much info in the post, but from a recent trip into the maze:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=741264#post741264

The direct link from the picture in that thread: :)
http://www.offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=772

Convert
10-29-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm in unless Daniel wants the 6th space

Caribou Sandstorm
10-29-2010, 09:05 PM
James (woodsman) you are in, we already counted you as part of the 5.

Perry I can fax in the permit request, after the Wednesday night meeting, do you need a ride to the meeting?

wesintl
10-30-2010, 12:55 PM
I talked to Heidi at hans flat. I'll call the reservation office monday. They are open to 8-12.

Daniel if you still want to go all 3 sites are open at doll house. I'm going to get the 2 permits and if you want to go you can grab the 3rd or anyone else for that matter.

pm me your license plate.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-30-2010, 06:28 PM
That means we have room for all the Dans, that are interested!!!

MDH33
10-31-2010, 07:05 PM
I talked to Heidi at hans flat. I'll call the reservation office monday. They are open to 8-12.

Daniel if you still want to go all 3 sites are open at doll house. I'm going to get the 2 permits and if you want to go you can grab the 3rd or anyone else for that matter.

pm me your license plate.

Thanks Wes. :thumb: are we getting Dollhouse for Saturday and Sunday? :beer:

wesintl
11-01-2010, 09:18 AM
well, because it's inside of 2 weeks they won't issue a permit over the phone or fax, only walk up. It's probably ok since the guy said the only 2 sites taken for the rest of the year are the wall and standing rock on that weekend we are going out. Otherwise we have the place to ourselves. I'll call a couple days before hand to see what's up. I might go out to proffitts thurs then get out to hans flat earlier on fri to get a permit. There are plenty of places to stay so it should be fine.

plan is flint seep or north point fri night, sat doll house, sunday maze overlook. might throw all that out the window come nov12 ;)

Caribou Sandstorm
11-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey Wes, maybe I can go out a day early, as well. I have customers in Montrose and was hoping to swing by Moab to look at something for Hants.

Woodsman
11-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Is there any room for another vehicle ?

A fellow Toyota owner from San Diego (former resident of Colorado ;) ) would be interested in making the trip if there's room.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-01-2010, 06:08 PM
I am not sure James, we will have 2 permits of 3 vehicles each. Some of the camp sites we will be at, only allow for 6 vehicles max. I am not sure if there are additional permits or spaces open where we are headed.

We have a couple club members that are interested and have first dibs on the last open spot.

There may be more info after our meeting Wednesday night.

Woodsman
11-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Oh, I understand Chris.

Gaylon is the the one who is interested.

If anything changes, he'd love to get in on it.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Gaylon's a good guy and he would fit in with the crowd that is going.

If more permits can be acquired, I am sure he would be welcome to join us.

Let me look into it.

TIMZTOY
11-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Holy crap. Maybe we should hire Timztoy to weld us up an offroad tanker trailer. :hill:
i can deffentlly do that for you. :thumb: i've even got contacts for 55gal drums..

i also have a hand held ham someone can borrow.

i would also love to go, but im not sure if im off work, what are the days your going ? and whats the difficuly raiting ?

bh4rnnr
11-01-2010, 09:28 PM
i can deffentlly do that for you. :thumb: i've even got contacts for 55gal drums..

i also have a hand held ham someone can borrow.

i would also love to go, but im not sure if im off work, what are the days your going ? and whats the difficuly raiting ?

Tim,

We are going November 12-15th. Most of the route is well suited for a stock vehicle. With your set up, you shouldnt have problems traveling the last 20 miles to the Doll House.

Mendocino
11-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Is there a spare seat? I don't think my stock 2003 LC can make it with street tires but I might be willing to try...on the fence [work be damned!]:D

Inukshuk
11-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Is there a spare seat? I don't think my stock 2003 LC can make it with street tires but I might be willing to try...on the fence [work be damned!]:D

I'm also trying to make it happen and would welcome company in the 80. The Dollhouse road is rather rough. A carefully driven stocker could make it, but there could be some scrapes.

Mendocino
11-01-2010, 09:51 PM
I'm also trying to make it happen and would welcome company in the 80. The Dollhouse road is rather rough. A carefully driven stocker could make it, but there could be some scrapes.

Daniel,

Pencil me in as co-pilot, I may be able to pull this off.

nattybumppo
11-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Wish I could make it. Check out these three youtube videos called The Maze Parts 1, Part 2, and Part 3. Here is a link to the third.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2i-Zg7yaVs

TIMZTOY
11-02-2010, 11:09 AM
Tim,

We are going November 12-15th. Most of the route is well suited for a stock vehicle. With your set up, you shouldnt have problems traveling the last 20 miles to the Doll House.

I'm a deffent maybe. I have a 4 day weekend But its 13-16. If I left Denver at 5pm about when would I arrive ? (don't know where were going) and if I left like 7am the 13th would I be too late ?

MDH33
11-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm a deffent maybe. I have a 4 day weekend But its 13-16. If I left Denver at 5pm about when would I arrive ? (don't know where were going) and if I left like 7am the 13th would I be too late ?

Tim, if you drove from Denver to the Dollhouse/Maze, it would probably take 12-14 hours. Our plan is to stop and camp Friday night, then complete the trip into the Maze on Saturday the 13th. Also, it's not advisable to drive this road solo, especially if the weather is in question. :beer:

Caribou Sandstorm
11-02-2010, 12:03 PM
OK Mazers, I talked to Wes about our tentative plans.

They do not issue permits in advance, inside of 2 weeks from when we want to be there. However, the ranger told Wes there are no permits anywhere we want to be for the rest of the year.

The Hans Flat ranger station closes at 4:30pm.

So Wes and I might try to go to Delta/Montrose on Thursday morning and then head toward Hans Flat later on Thursday afternoon and camp somewhere on BLM land Thursday night. Our goal would be to arrive at Hans Flat ranger station earlier Friday, then if someone would be driving to Hans Flat from Denver (leaving Friday morning), looking for permits...

We can then find a suitable area to camp Friday night that could accommodate all those that have committed and almost committed thus far. Basically, we are capped at 9 vehicles.

We can decide tomorrow night at our Maze meeting (after the Club meeting), which area we plan on camping Friday night.

Also Saturday night sounds as though it is planned for the Doll House area. There are 3 camp grounds in that area, so 3 permits would accommodate the additional folks that are interested but have not committed 100%.

The tricky part of bumping from 6 to 9 vehicles is Sunday night. Wes and I are thinking of only camping at the Doll House Saturday night. We prefer to camp at the Maze overlook Sunday night, since we have never been in this area and it is on the way out for Monday's travels home.. But the Maze Overlook has limited permits and vehicles, I think 6 vehicles total.. I am not dead set against another night at the Doll House, but just want to throw it out there for discussion, in the event some really want to stay an extra day or so in that area.

Bottom line, we should be able to accommodate all those interested to date, for Friday and Saturday night but we might have to split up a bit Sunday night.

We should be able to figure most of this out tomorrow night.

To date we have committed:

Wes "WesIntl" and Perry "bh4rnr"
Dan "Mountain Goat"
Martin "MDH33"
Chris "Chris Sandstorm Fj"
James "Woodsman"
Dan "Convert"

To date we have potential, almost committed:

-Daniel M. "Inukshuk" and Jeff "Mendocino" Jeff if Daniel can't make it, we have plenty of room for you to jump in another vehicle

-Gaylon "forum handle?"

-Tim "TimZTOY" tentative might be driving/might be catching a ride

TIMZTOY
11-02-2010, 12:36 PM
I might be able to switch my Tuesday with someone Friday. So I'm on schedule With everyone else. So are most leaving denver Friday morning ? Or Thursday night ?

Caribou Sandstorm
11-02-2010, 12:39 PM
I am guessing Friday but anyone that wants to leave Thursday is more then welcome to do so.

I have not secured Thursday yet for myself, still need to acuire my hall pass from home and work.

TIMZTOY
11-02-2010, 04:37 PM
I'm off the 11-15 now, just had to switch a few days around. Still not 100% if I'm going. It all comes down to funds at this point

rover67
11-02-2010, 05:17 PM
I'm off the 11-15 now, just had to switch a few days around. Still not 100% if I'm going. It all comes down to funds at this point

hitch a ride and trow in some gas money!

That'll be way cheaper than going at it in your rig.

I still continue to be jealous every time i hit "new posts" and see this one growing.

TIMZTOY
11-02-2010, 07:31 PM
hitch a ride and trow in some gas money!

That'll be way cheaper than going at it in your rig.

I still continue to be jealous every time i hit "new posts" and see this one growing.

hmmmm

Hulk
11-02-2010, 08:20 PM

X2. Unfortunately, timing is not good for me at all. Otherwise I would be hitching a ride fo' sho.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-02-2010, 09:08 PM
And you would be laughing your tail off at my poor baja driving skilz....

"Dude your going to break your junk!" Still one of my favorite quotes of all time..

Hulk
11-02-2010, 10:54 PM
And you would be laughing your tail off at my poor baja driving skilz....

"Dude your going to break your junk!" Still one of my favorite quotes of all time..

You have mad skillz, CD. Totally wishing I was going to be a part of this journey.

MountainGoat
11-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Are we meeting before the meeting tonight?

MDH33
11-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Are we meeting before the meeting tonight?

I might be able to get there a little bit before 7, but not by much.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Wes can't meet before the meeting, can you guys meet after?

MDH33
11-03-2010, 01:02 PM

Yup. :thumb::beer:

MountainGoat
11-03-2010, 01:07 PM

Yes. :thumb:

Mendocino
11-03-2010, 01:51 PM

I can meet after but can't stay too late [yes, that means I will actually be at a meeting].

Convert
11-03-2010, 01:57 PM

Yes

Inukshuk
11-03-2010, 03:41 PM
There may even be a rare Markofsky sighting....

Mendocino
11-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Daniel, I did indeed see you.:) I had to go so I could not stick around. I'll watch here for updates.

Inukshuk
11-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Daniel, I did indeed see you.:) I had to go so I could not stick around. I'll watch here for updates.

ok. Most folks are up for leaving after work Thursday, 5-6 pm. Camp at Rabbit Valley. Would that work for you?

bh4rnnr
11-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Sounding to be a fun trip:cool:

Giggity.

Should we have a "Who can out do Kurt" contest? P.S; He did the Poison Springs road from Hanksvile to Doll House number 2 in four hours, did I mention it was at night?

MDH33
11-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Perry, you missed a good meeting! We drank a bunch of beer and looked at maps of the Maze. :beer:

Not sure I'll be able to swing leaving on Thursday, but I'll catch up with the group on Friday most likely.

:thumb: :beer2::guapo:

Inukshuk
11-04-2010, 12:33 AM
Martin - the hike would be awesome.

http://www.backpacker.com/october_08_americas_10_most_dangerous_hikes_the_maze_ut/destinations/12616
http://www.utahtrails.com/pictographfork.html

Convert
11-04-2010, 08:18 PM
OK I am excited for this trip. I cant wait to get back to the Utah desert. Last night we talked about consolidating some gear.We could also consolidate on meals if anyone is interested

Things I am bringing:
Coleman LP grill
Single Burner Backpack Stove
Lantern
Tarp and Ropes
Table and 2 chairs
15 gallons fuel
6 gallons water

Things I am Not Bringing:
Coffee Pot and Coffee ( sounded like Chris,Wes and Daniel had it covered)
Fire or Charcoal Stuff
Ice :lmao:

Things I am On the Bubble About:
Pett Toilet ( will bring if needed sounded like we had 2 or 3 )

Maybe we should start a new planning thread

wesintl
11-04-2010, 08:48 PM
yeah.. we should start a planning thread. That's a good idea about the meals. I was thinking the same thing last night and said something to chris. we could do breakfasts and dinners in a group and lunches on your own? you only cook once or team up with someone to cook a breakfast and dinner...

Convert
11-04-2010, 08:57 PM
yeah.. we should start a planning thread. That's a good idea about the meals. I was thinking the same thing last night and said something to chris. we could do breakfasts and dinners in a group and lunches on your own? you only cook once or team up with someone to cook a breakfast and dinner...

Yes sounds like a plan

bh4rnnr
11-05-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm happy to bring whatever:blah:

And I like the meals idea as well:thumb:

wesintl
11-05-2010, 09:49 AM
All wood fires are prohibited. Charcoal fires are allowed at designated vehicle campsites. Visitors must use a fire pan and remove unburned charcoal and fire debris.

MDH33
11-05-2010, 09:54 AM
All wood fires are prohibited. Charcoal fires are allowed at designated vehicle campsites. Visitors must use a fire pan and remove unburned charcoal and fire debris.

Bring your warm clothes and bottle of warm-up-juice. :boozer: ;)

MountainGoat
11-05-2010, 10:32 AM

FYI I am researching portable alternatives, perhaps gel or propane. I can't see camping in the winter with NO fire. That would suck.

Woodsman
11-05-2010, 10:57 AM
It's not as good as wood but I have a couple of Duraflame logs stashed in the vehicle.

MDH33
11-05-2010, 11:13 AM
When they say charcoal, they mean briquettes and barbecue grills. I wouldn't push your luck with fire restriction violations, and since we'll be the only group out there, I'll bet we get checked on since the rangers won't have anything else to do.

wesintl
11-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Basically no wood fires. Charcoal briquettes only and pack out the ashes - per ranger station.

I specifically asked Gary on the phone just now at the hans flat ranger station about a portable propane fire pit and he said that was ok. He didn't seem very familiar with them but I said it's just like a stove there is no waste. He said that would be fine just no wood fires period and must pack out charcoal waste.

Are you going to spring for one of these Dan? That would be bitchin!

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=portable+propane+fire+pit&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=xil&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivs&resnum=1&biw=1280&bih=617&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=15161674229870622091&sa=X&ei=CELUTLCMM9GAnQeA-7m_BQ&ved=0CE0Q8gIwAA#

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/l30DGKL-nVs7DkigmAncM8QRvT8AUkCAkkypUr-fAK2j6ZnjF2ZUopqyky-IKqv_37S9taDGciV81_CJqoVb4rJm67Lriq46lX0wIsYqhvbIPF311aOxAdk27ErEYY5F-B0dRBxVchUmVRzp1xaCkS7r23524x9AUYUsO74d-qDvyWuaJw

MountainGoat
11-05-2010, 11:58 AM
... I specifically asked Gary on the phone just now at the hans flat ranger station about a portable propane fire pit and he said that was ok. ...
Are you going to spring for one of these Dan?

That is awesome news! I just pulled the trigger on this:

Napoleon Patioflame (http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Outdoor/PatioFlame.html)

I got the one with the logset. I wanted one anyway to burn on my deck in the winter and this one fits inside my firepit here at 20" OD. I'll get plenty of use out of it. I got it at cost from one of my accounting clients. :thumb:

:camping:

wesintl
11-05-2010, 12:03 PM
SCHWEET! :thumb: how many bottles of propane should we bring :eek:

MountainGoat
11-05-2010, 12:08 PM
SCHWEET! :thumb: how many bottles of propane should we bring :eek:

I am picking it up this afternoon. I reckon I'll set it up here at the house this weekend and see how it works. Hopefully one or two 20 lb bottles will do... :hill:

MDH33
11-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Ha! That's awesome. You guys don't mess around when camping. :cool:

Caribou Sandstorm
11-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Awesome Dan!

I will p/up enough eggs and turkey sausage for Sat/Sun.. sounded like we might eat Friday morning in Green River?

Also I have a lantern on a stick set up, and a large Kelty awning works great will give us good shelter and can attach to several vehicles.

Since I am doing coffee, breakfast, I will bring my stove. We should have one additional stove.

Woodsman
11-05-2010, 07:10 PM
We have a heavy steel griddle with legs which can stand over a fire/coals . . . if this would be useful.

Convert
11-05-2010, 07:13 PM
I can bring a stove instead of the grill if needed.
I am going to make a pot of Red Chili for a dinner, hope everyone likes spicy maybe one night everyone could bring a piece of meat of there choice and grill?

Inukshuk
11-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Should we have a "Who can out do Kurt" contest? P.S; He did the Poison Springs road from Hanksvile to Doll House number 2 in four hours, did I mention it was at night?:beer:

So far the plan is to go in and out through Hans Flat.

....about consolidating some gear.
We could also consolidate on meals if anyone is interested

Things I am bringing:
Coleman LP grill
Single Burner Backpack Stove
Lantern
Tarp and Ropes
Table and 2 chairs
15 gallons fuel
6 gallons water

Things I am Not Bringing:
Coffee Pot and Coffee ( sounded like Chris,Wes and Daniel had it covered)
Fire or Charcoal Stuff
Ice :lmao:

Things I am On the Bubble About:
Pett Toilet ( will bring if needed sounded like we had 2 or 3 )

Maybe we should start a new planning thread

I have a two burner coleman I can bring and set up daily for general use.
I have two nonstick pans I can bring, with one lid.
I will bring a percolator.
I will bring two water jugs, 11 gallons total. That's more than I'll need. Still, everyone should have a gallon per person per day.
I can bring two chairs.
Tarp, Tent & cot - weather permitting I'll sleep outside. I have a 4 man dome I usually bring. If gear is left out, this tent sleeps three. I'm happy to share. I also have a massive tent that probably sleeps 4-6 comfortably. Some of you have seen it at Cruise Moab. Its very easy to set up with just two people. The advantage would be two people could set & take down while others relax or whatever. Its 10 x 10 and tall. I hate the daily tent thing so if anyone wants to share this one, let me know.

That is awesome news! I just pulled the trigger on this: Napoleon Patioflame (http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Outdoor/PatioFlame.html)
:camping:

Nice!

I will p/up enough eggs and turkey sausage for Sat/Sun.. sounded like we might eat Friday morning in Green River?
Also I have a lantern on a stick set up, and a large Kelty awning works great will give us good shelter and can attach to several vehicles.
Since I am doing coffee, breakfast, I will bring my stove. We should have one additional stove.

I can bring a stove.
We also may want to think about how to keep breakfast fast and simple - like break camp, have coffee and go, then stop after an hour for some food warmed on the engine cookers.

I can bring a stove instead of the grill if needed. I am going to make a pot of Red Chili for a dinner, hope everyone likes spicy maybe one night everyone could bring a piece of meat of there choice and grill?

Your chili rocks!

I just installed an engine cooker tonight, so I'll also bring burritos to do at least one lunch. We can also use our combined cookers to heat dinners - like the chili - and have a hot meal ready as soon as we roll into camp. My cooker should fit a 9 x 12 baking pan (we'll see tomorrow) with some more stacked on top, so we can heat all sorts of things!

10 day Hanksville forecast has 50's by day, 25 at night. 0% chance of rain.

Night - Up early for Old Chinaman's

TIMZTOY
11-06-2010, 07:52 PM
not going !:mad:

Convert
11-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Red Chile is about ready to taste yum yum

Inukshuk
11-06-2010, 10:20 PM

Bummer. Next time!

MDH33
11-07-2010, 10:10 PM

I hear you man. :(

I'm out too, which is all too usual for me these days. Personal Sh*t.

No worries about permits now though.

Have fun out there.

Inukshuk
11-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Have fun out there.

Double bummer, and I was really looking forward to that hike. Jeff is out too. Work and his Daughter's birthday. Frankly, I can think of many reasons to stay behind too and only one to go - I love the Maze!

Perry - lets talk tomorrow evening.

MountainGoat
11-08-2010, 07:32 AM

Have fun out there.

Aw jeez Martin ... :(:(:( you're killin' me.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Check your favorite weather report boys! Sunny Thursday - Monday!!!

OilHammer
11-08-2010, 10:27 AM
pencil me in on this one. I need to confirm Monday as a vacation day, but other than that I think I'm good to go. Looks like fun!

Woodsman
11-08-2010, 10:41 AM
So, what is the people/vehicle count now ?

MountainGoat
11-08-2010, 03:33 PM
To date we have committed:

Dan "Mountain Goat"
Martin "MDH33"
James "Woodsman"
Dan "Convert"

To date we have potential, almost committed:

-Daniel M. "Inukshuk" and Jeff "Mendocino" Jeff if Daniel can't make it, we have plenty of room for you to jump in another vehicle

-Gaylon "forum handle?"

-Tim "TimZTOY" tentative might be driving/might be catching a ride

Updated list is:

Confirmed:

Dan K. "Mountain Goat"
James "Woodsman"
Dan R. "Convert"
Daniel M. "Inukshuk"

6 trucks confirmed

Maybe:

Gaylon "forum handle?"
Barry M. "Rutbeer"

2 trucks maybe

Please correct me if I am wrong. :hill:

Woodsman
11-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Do we have the official meal assignments figured out or are we still going this direction ?

I could probably do chili soup (ground beef, beans, tomatoes, macaroni noodles) with crackers, cheese and whatever else if need be. Please advise as I only have tomorrow to get ready . . . I have to leave Wed morning.

Inukshuk
11-08-2010, 04:31 PM
Do we have the official meal assignments figured out or are we still going this direction ?

I could probably do chili soap (ground beef, beans, tomatoes, macaroni noodles) with crackers, cheese and whatever else if need be. Please advise as I only have tomorrow to get ready . . . I have to leave Wed morning.

I lack the time to do the assigning, but I'll take whatever assignment I am given.

Convert
11-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Updated list is:

Confirmed:

Dan K. "Mountain Goat"
James "Woodsman"
Dan R. "Convert"
Daniel M. "Inukshuk"

6 trucks confirmed

Maybe:

Gaylon "forum handle?"
Barry M. "Rutbeer"

2 trucks maybe

Please correct me if I am wrong. :hill:

Dan I have a copilot

wesintl
11-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I really don't have the time to plan anything further. I'm slammed at work. If chris or anyone else wants to step up and take that on that's cool with me.

bh4rnnr
11-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Not the best cook, but am happy to help with whatever:blah:. And my plan is to hop in whenever an open seat is available so I can keep taking pictures.

wesintl
11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Chris can you tell us where on the rabbit valley exit to meet up and camp for thurs night.

OilHammer
11-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm confirmed at this point. Should be interesting... last minute trip and no time to pack! I have a diesel gas can, but no way to mount it. Wish I had a hitch mount jerry can holder.....hmmm....no time to whip that up.

Convert
11-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Ok I got it

3 Dinners and 3 breakfasts

Dinners:

Grill Night
Bring your own steak, chop,chicken what ever you want and we will grill it up. Bring your own Tatter and we will bake them in the 80 series manifold cookers

Need : Desert

Chili Night
Woodsman = Chili Soup
Convert = Red Chili

Need : Tortillas and cheese
Need : A side dish

Soup/Sandwich Night
Need : Soup
Need : Sandwich makings

Breakfast

Chris = Eggs and Turkey Sausage
Nick = Eggs and Bacon

Perry bring beer for food:D

Caribou Sandstorm
11-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks Dan!

Looks perfect.

I have to work now on Thursday morning in Denver. So I am not going to be at Rabbit Valley until between 5-7pm.

The best area to camp is to exit and turn south, heading under the freeway, pass through the larger parking lot and meander back a bit until you find what you like. There are tons of spots that will accomodate us.

Woodsman
11-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks Dan!

Looks perfect.

I have to work now on Thursday morning in Denver. So I am not going to be at Rabbit Valley until between 5-7pm.

The best area to camp is to exit and turn south, heading under the freeway, pass through the larger parking lot and meander back a bit until you find what you like. There are tons of spots that will accomodate us.

Is this the same parking lot as the Kokopelli Trail trailhead ?

For those that do not get there Thursday night, have you established a meeting place and time ? I know Green River (Friday morning) was mentioned and also Hans Flat.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I believe the plan is to camp somewhere near Hans Flat on BLM land Friday night.

Hey if we are on BLM land, can we do a fire Friday night?

wesintl
11-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I thought the whole plan to camp in rabbit valley thur night was to be able to get to doll house fri night? we can see when we get to the ranger sta.

does woodsman have a ham?

Woodsman
11-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I thought the whole plan to camp in rabbit valley thur night was to be able to get to doll house fri night? we can see when we get to the ranger sta.

does woodsman have a ham?

Woodsman is "hamless". :(

Caribou Sandstorm
11-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Wes, maybe we were talking and you missed it but Daniel M was mentioning some great BLM camping near Hans Flat and we could check out some canyons Friday afternoon near Hans Flat.

Then get up Saturday and head to Doll House.

I am ok either way, this is just what I remembered.

MountainGoat
11-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Wes, maybe we were talking and you missed it but Daniel M was mentioning some great BLM camping near Hans Flat and we could check out some canyons Friday afternoon near Hans Flat.

Then get up Saturday and head to Doll House.

I am ok either way, this is just what I remembered.

Chris has the same understanding as me:

Spend Thurs night Rabbit Valley (those who can get out on Thursday).

Fri get to the ranger station at Hans Flat & get a permit for the campsites, then explore around Hans Flat and camp there on BLM land.

Sat drive in to the Doll House and spend the night.

Sunday drive to the Maze Overlook and spend the night.

Monday marathon drive home from the Maze Overlook campsite.

I like this because it gives us more time (and daylight) to experience the route from Hans Flat to the Doll House. Other wise with the time change we'll be driving too much in the dark.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Hans Flat ranger station

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=115314997953850071039.000494aa38abaf32f5520

Thanks Barry for the Google lesson!

Inukshuk
11-09-2010, 09:54 PM
So I am not going to be at Rabbit Valley until between 5-7pm.

The best area to camp is to exit and turn south, heading under the freeway, pass through the larger parking lot and meander back a bit until you find what you like. There are tons of spots that will accommodate us.

Perry and I have stayed at a good spot in Rabbit Valley ("RV") at N39.17089 W109.02045. Put it in your GPS or Google Map it. But Perry says there is a better spot just a little farther on the same road. Whoever is first, be visible from the road. Someone at camp should leave a HAM on. Perry and I will leave around 5PM. Will shop on the way so probably at RV by 10 or 11PM.

Chris has the same understanding as me:

Spend Thurs night Rabbit Valley (those who can get out on Thursday).

Fri get to the ranger station at Hans Flat & get a permit for the campsites, then explore around Hans Flat and camp there on BLM land.

Sat drive in to the Doll House and spend the night.

Sunday drive to the Maze Overlook and spend the night.

Monday marathon drive home from the Maze Overlook campsite.

I like this because it gives us more time (and daylight) to experience the route from Hans Flat to the Doll House. Other wise with the time change we'll be driving too much in the dark.

I will defer to Wes and whatever you early guys decide. I like the idea of getting to HF as early as poss Friday. Maybe we skip the sit down breakfast in favor of engine burritos. Its all awesome out there. If we hustle Friday AM, I think we could get to dollhouse before dark. Saturday we could do the Pictograph Fork Hike or others nearby in the Dollhouse area. Sunday AM we can still go to Maze overlook and do a hike or two near there.

I have read up on campsites and slot canyons and just plain hikes near Hans Flats. If no this time, then we need another weekend out there. The Hans flats area is much more accessible than the Dollhouse, so there is a reasonable argument for more time out there. OTOH, it is nice to arrive at camps during light. Perry and I figure 4 hours from HF to DH.

It was Martin and Perry that knew sites near Hans Flats. I have never been there. For me its all just book learnin' :hill:

FOOD: From Dan's most excellent list I will plan to bring Desert for Friday, tortillas, cheese and, if you all like, Campbell's tomato soup for Sunday. (grilled cheese goes great with that...I'm jus sayin)

FIRES: yes for BLM and RV, but that gas fire pit sounds lots easier. Fire pan is advised for BLM and RV. I can bring a bunch of cut 2x4's

GAS: I have 3 wedcos. I have no way to carry externally. Chris - what can you take? Anyone else have spare roof rack space?

Can everyone get to RV Thursday night or early Friday AM?

Inukshuk
11-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Hans Flat ranger station http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=115314997953850071039.000494aa38abaf32f5520

Also at N38.25748 W110.17957

MDH33
11-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Just looking at the weather for Canyonlands (and wishing I could go). I would bring chains, just in case. Might be some precip and possibly snow.

Have fun out there guys. :beer:

Convert
11-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Ok I got it

Dinners:

Grill Night
Bring your own steak, chop,chicken what ever you want and we will grill it up. Bring your own Tatter and we will bake them in the 80 series manifold cookers

Desert = Daniel

Chili Night
Woodsman = Chili Soup
Convert = Red Chili

Tortillas and cheese = Daniel
Need : A side dish

Soup/Sandwich Night
Need : Soup
Need : Sandwich makings

Breakfast

Nick = Eggs and Bacon

Updated the menu
What about the rest of you guys are you interested in the meal idea?
Post up what your bringing or if your in or out. Looks like we have eight in our group

Daniel Tomato soup and toasted cheese sandwich's were exactly what I had in mind

Convert
11-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Just looking at the weather for Canyonlands (and wishing I could go). I would bring chains, just in case. Might be some precip and possibly snow.

Have fun out there guys. :beer:

Are chains really needed I don't even chain up the 35" Truxes on snow runs

wesintl
11-10-2010, 09:55 AM
eh. should dry out by fri and the rest of the time it'll be sunny and 50.

Fed ex should be delivering my coffee maker after I leave :( so we might need another percolator dan.

I will pick up brats and burgers for one night. I haven't been able to keep up with the thread and food :(

bh4rnnr
11-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Updated the menu
What about the rest of you guys are you interested in the meal idea?
Post up what your bringing or if your in or out. Looks like we have eight in our group

Daniel Tomato soup and toasted cheese sandwich's were exactly what I had in mind

Dan, I was going to pick up some non egg items for bfast, as eggs are something Perry cant have. I'm happy to pick up other items along with:beer:.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Perry do you need me to bring you a tent to borrow? I seem to remember you tent-less at the Trail leader training.

MountainGoat
11-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I will bring toasted cheese sandwich makings for soup and sandwich night. I can also bring stuff for guacamole tostadas for the chili night side dish.

I can haul fuel cans in my truck (pickup with a topper) if need be, as long as they aren't leaky. I'll be emptying it at night and sleeping back there man. :hill:

Chris remember I am borrowing your handheld ham radio.

I garage tested the propane campfire and it works great. Burns about 2 lbs/hour of propane when it is cranked on high. I plan on bringing a fresh 20lb bottle, so that will be about 10 hours worth of fire. Anybody think we need more than that?

I guess we'll nail down the intinerary after Rabbit Valley once we are out there.

Convert
11-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Ok I got it

Dinners:

Grill Night

Desert = Daniel

Chili Night
Woodsman = Chili Soup
Convert = Red Chili

Tortillas and cheese = Daniel
guacamole tostadas = Mountain Goat

Soup/Sandwich Night
Soup = Daniel or Perry
Sandwich makings = Mountain Goat

Breakfast

Nick = Eggs and Bacon

Re updated 11-10-10 1:57 PM

I will also bring the potatoes for grill night
I think Wes is bringing brats and burgers for grill night ?

wesintl
11-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I garage tested the propane campfire and it works great. Burns about 2 lbs/hour of propane when it is cranked on high. I plan on bringing a fresh 20lb bottle, so that will be about 10 hours worth of fire. Anybody think we need more than that?

cool. That's 3 hours of fire a night on high figuring we won't use it thurs.. 5-8pm since it gets dark early.

i'm thinkin we should probably bring an extra bottle if perry brings lots of :beer::beer:

MountainGoat
11-10-2010, 02:24 PM
i'm thinkin we should probably bring an extra bottle if perry brings lots of :beer::beer:

Okay. I'll bring 40 lbs of propane. :campfire::beer::campfire:

Caribou Sandstorm
11-10-2010, 02:39 PM
Who is leaving Friday or is everyone leaving Thursday afternoon?

I am leaving at 2pm Thursday.

bh4rnnr
11-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Perry do you need me to bring you a tent to borrow? I seem to remember you tent-less at the Trail leader training.

Chris, i'm good on the tent end, thanks for the offer though:thumb:.

Is it thursday yety:):beer:

MountainGoat
11-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Who is leaving Friday or is everyone leaving Thursday afternoon?

I am leaving at 2pm Thursday.

I'm leaving by mid afternoon Thursday. Earlier if I can. :hill:

wesintl
11-10-2010, 03:19 PM
It could be a long drive through the hills tomorrow with the snow :eek:

Inukshuk
11-10-2010, 04:01 PM
I have yet to read the updates, but I was wondering what spare parts/tools are people bringing?
I have a 80 birf, asst front bearings and seals (used but working)
Front caliper bolts
front knuckle washers and nuts (studs should arrive tomorrow)
oil and filter
rear brake pads
lots of tools (incl axle nut socket)
glue
epoxy
duct tape

Inukshuk
11-10-2010, 04:05 PM

:thumb: and I'll get a special surprise to go with that

I'm leaving by mid afternoon Thursday. Earlier if I can. :hill:

5PM Thursday.

:beer::campfire::beer: + :perry: = :risingsun

Caribou Sandstorm
11-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Ok sounds like we are all heading out Thursday.

Keep an eye out for Barry "Rutbeer" he is leaving Denver around 4pm and drives a beige FJ40, super clean, diesel powerd.

I forgot to stop by Highcountry today to get my Powertank filled, so I am on the road as soon as that is done. Probably still around 2pm

Dan, I will have the hand held Ham for you.

Man where did all that extra time go?? I am scrambling to get loaded up tonight.

Convert
11-10-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm hoping to get out early tomorrow but we'll see, I will probably just hook up with the group on Friday morning. Will be monitoring the RS frequency and the Colorado Connection. Do we have a reliable repeater in Utah? See ya in Green River or Hans Flats:thumb:

Convert
11-10-2010, 09:15 PM
I have yet to read the updates, but I was wondering what spare parts/tools are people bringing?
I have a 80 birf, asst front bearings and seals (used but working)
Front caliper bolts
front knuckle washers and nuts (studs should arrive tomorrow)
oil and filter
rear brake pads
lots of tools (incl axle nut socket)
glue
epoxy
duct tape

I have most of what you listed plus long and short front axle shafts, complete knuckle rebuild kit and a bunch of other stuff I cant think of right now

wesintl
11-10-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm hoping to get out early tomorrow but we'll see, I will probably just hook up with the group on Friday morning. Will be monitoring the RS frequency and the Colorado Connection. Do we have a reliable repeater in Utah? See ya in Green River or Hans Flats:thumb:

CC.. after that it's probably the mt ellen repeater.

Repeater Access Information
Repeater Callsign: K7SDC
Output Frequency: 147.080 MHz
Input Frequency: 147.680 MHz
Offset: +600 kHz
CTCSS: 136.5 Hz

http://www.sdarc.us/repeaters/mt-ellen.html

I'm probably leaving at 9. go out to proffitts and put some new rubber on my split rims and head out to RV.

Convert
11-10-2010, 09:51 PM

Repeater Access Information
Repeater Callsign: K7SDC
Output Frequency: 147.080 MHz
Input Frequency: 147.680 MHz
Offset: +600 kHz
CTCSS: 136.5 Hz

http://www.sdarc.us/repeaters/mt-ellen.html

I'm probably leaving at 9. go out to proffitts and put some new rubber on my split rims and head out to RV.

Thanks Wes

Inukshuk
11-10-2010, 10:04 PM

I'm hoping that on this trip you guys can help me set up my HAM to use repeaters. I just have never taken the time. So for now I'll just monitor 146.460, unless perry knows how to dial in the CC. I have the frequencies, and I know the transceiver auto-shifts, I just have not programmed the tones.

OilHammer
11-10-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm in the same boat. I have never used my Ham for repeaters, and only used it once before that. It should at least be working for this trip though....far too remote an area to be without some form of communication.

Yes, trying to leave at 4pm and head west. If the pass is snowing, or anywhere up 25 for that matter, I may try to duck out earlier than that, but it will be difficult. I still haven't run to the store for beer ACK!

Inukshuk
11-10-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm in the same boat. I have never used my Ham for repeaters, and only used it once before that. It should at least be working for this trip though....far too remote an area to be without some form of communication.

Yes, trying to leave at 4pm and head west. If the pass is snowing, or anywhere up 25 for that matter, I may try to duck out earlier than that, but it will be difficult. I still haven't run to the store for beer ACK!

Perry and I will keep an eye out and hail on the HAM every once in a while. I'm a green 80, no roof rack.

Inukshuk
11-10-2010, 11:55 PM
It will be 20's at night, upper 40's day. bring warm gear.

My gas cans do not leak and Chris may be able to put some on his roof. In any event by the time we get to Hans Flats I can load one into my truck for sure!

I have one deep pan good for soup. Anyone else have a pot they are bringing?

I have stove & 4 propane bottles, two pans, lid, cutting bd, knives, spatula and tongs. Paper towel, plates, etc.

Plenty of water, percolator, coffee (nothing fancy so bring your super blend if you want it, I'll brew it). Bring coffee cups.

No tire chains.

Night

Convert
11-11-2010, 06:53 AM
I have a pretty well stocked kitchen box

wesintl
11-11-2010, 08:00 AM
anyone have an extra camp chair they could bring? Mine is in the camper at ketelsens :o

bh4rnnr
11-11-2010, 08:10 AM

Hanksville repeater will be the best one for us: 147.450. We were picking it up all the way at the boarder.

coax
11-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Have a great trip all and drive safe! Snow on the roads here at 8k.

OilHammer
11-11-2010, 08:30 AM
Anyone know if you can hook a car stereo amplifier into a HAM output jack? I have been using an mini jack hooked directly from the amp to my ipod for music, so the thought occured to me that I might be able to hear the HAM over the diesel a lot better through the stereo speakers. My radio is inside a tuffy, so it's kind of muffled.

Caribou Sandstorm
11-11-2010, 10:14 AM
I am packed, my rig looks like I am making a run on extra Gas...

I also need to stop for beer. Beer and Powertank fill and I am on the road.

See you all on the road to no where!!

MountainGoat
11-11-2010, 10:30 AM
anyone have an extra camp chair they could bring? Mine is in the camper at ketelsens :o

I have an extra chair Wes. It looks like I'll be spending the night with my brother in GJ, so I'll see you guys bright and early tomorrow morning at RV. :thumb:

Inukshuk
11-11-2010, 03:07 PM
As soon as the locksmith is done with :perry: , we go!