PDA

View Full Version : SNR 2010 Trip Report Thread

simps80
10-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Well it may be bad form for me to start this thread off, but I wanted to say a couple things tonight real quick.

Nakman, great route, great run, great plan :thumb:

Nice to meet some new folks, always fun to see all the great trucks too.

But the point is, I just wanted to say a humble thanks again to everyone for helping get me out of that little jam.

Rising Sun has a lot of really knowledgeable, and helpful people that are willing to jump in, that was readily apparent this evening....so, just thanks.

And I'll say this too, cause i know that the kid in his new-to-him truck would want to if he knew where to do so ... Impressive work with the recovery for that poor group of kids. Coulda been a real long and dangerous night for those guys without Rising Sun coming along side of them to help out.

Perry and others probably, have a lot of pics, so for those that weren't there, the pictures will tell the story better than any long winded post I could put together.

Hope everyone makes it home safe from the kingston peak side tour as well.

and....

:risingsun

:cheers:

nakman
10-24-2010, 12:56 AM
Success!! Mike thanks for starting the thread, and in many ways that was the best Spooky Night Run yet... man it had it all- I used just about every piece of recovery gear getting myself and a few others through, my shoulders are sore from shoveling. I'm amazed at how significant the conditions changed from just last Sunday to today.

My highlight was rolling up on that mini truck that was down waaaaaaay off the road, thinking maybe there's someone in there, and there was! Those kids must have been hot dogging it or something and were slid so far down it wasn't even funny, had we not come across them they'd still be there.

You thought that tiptoe through the trees was spooky The Kingston descent was downright scary, as soon as we made the right turn it was almost a sheet of ice the whole way down.. I've been on that Mammoth Gulch a bunch of times and that's the slowest I've ever gone.. but worth it as we all made it down safely. Though yes I do believe Treeroot was able to get one more recovery in before all was said and done.

Looking forward to the pictures and talking about the run for a while, thank you everyone who came out and brought food and pitched in on the trail, I think we've got a few new guys hooked on wheeling with the club.

:risingsun

treerootCO
10-24-2010, 01:19 AM
Awesome run as always. Thank you for the excitement. :)

Kenon698
10-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Nakman, thanks for a teriffic SNR. I had a great time. it was a perfect trail and the dinner was the best. Thanks to everyone for the tremendous food. you are right about the trail around Kingston. It was to slippery to walk so I think I am glad that i was driving.:thumb:

Snowrun
10-24-2010, 01:46 AM
:thumb: Awesome run!!!

Jacket
10-24-2010, 07:43 AM
:ranger:

bh4rnnr
10-24-2010, 07:49 AM
:ranger:

Here is a teaser:p:.

Great run Tim! Fun to do a trail I have not done before, even it it was a little tippy and slippery... Great work on the recovery's everyone!

Fun to hang out with everyone again and look forward to the next one:cool:.

Will post more later, need some more rest right now:blah:.

:beer:

CardinalFJ60
10-24-2010, 08:22 AM
probably the spookiest Spooky Night Run I've been on. Great Trail, great fun!

I slacked on taking lots of pictures, I was trying keep from sliding off the road.;) luckily, the 60 performed as though it were my Voltron robot cat.

Thanks again for pulling this all together, and GREAT Leading by Tim. That Kingston leg was pretty slick, but good communication kept everyone safe and on track.

here's a couple pics(If you look closely, you can see some real ghosts):

CardinalFJ60
10-24-2010, 08:25 AM
more pics:

CardinalFJ60
10-24-2010, 08:38 AM
pics...

Old40Dog
10-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks to Tim for organizing yet another fun Spooky Night Run! Great to see some old friends and the new ones too! Lots of folks there! I did not do a count, but it looks like about 19 trucks from the pics I took.

Here's some pics including the "first" recovery effort. It didn't look too...bad at first, but in the first recovery pic you can see where it could of gone...Great work guys!

FJBRADY
10-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Big thanks to Tim for putting this run together and letting me ride along. Good friends, good food that's what the SNR is all about! Spooky, spooky conditions on the trail.....pulled enough cable to qualify for a snow run. That recovery of the dude near the top of the trail was awesome, way to go RS.:thumb:

Air Randy
10-24-2010, 09:39 AM
It was great fun! I don't know if it was because it was the first snow and cold conditons of the season and I hadn't acclimated yet....but it was COLD at the dinner spot! Lets hope there isn't a fire ban next year. A big fire would have made it toasty and even more enjoyable to stand around and sip cider.

Glad to hear the Kingston group made it home without too much drama. As we were heading home we were monitoring the radio and we heard Daniel calling for a strap :thumb: How much more fun can you have?

rover67
10-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Tim, we had a blast!!!

Thanks for putting it together again this year, I really really enjoyed the trail.

We forgot our camera so no pics unfortunately..

The food was unbelievable once again this year, so thanks to everybody that worked on getting it up there and prepped!

The stucks were fun to work on!

Caribou Sandstorm
10-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks Tim for organizing and all..Wow, I am exhausted and still smiling..

That was a super fun trail, great food and great folks, what more could you ask for?

The snow lightly falling as we meandered through tight pine section was super cool.

bh4rnnr
10-24-2010, 10:40 AM
1-2) The group for the evening
3-4) Sean Cardinal
5) Drivers meeting

bh4rnnr
10-24-2010, 10:45 AM
More:

1) Sean Boland (this one will be sent to TT;))
2) Sean Cardinal and Dan
3) In route to the dinner spot
4) Piggy
5) Seldome Seen

bh4rnnr
10-24-2010, 10:50 AM

1) A good mix of rigs at the dinner spot
2) We had an awesome moon rise to start the evening off
3-5) Dinner time!

bh4rnnr
10-24-2010, 10:55 AM

1) Two clean 60's.
2-5) MIkes recovery

bh4rnnr
10-24-2010, 11:04 AM

1-5) After Mike and Tim's recovery, we came across this solo Toyota that had slid off the trail. So it was off to do what Rising Sun does best, help random people out:bowdown::risingsun

bh4rnnr
10-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Last of the pics:

1-3) Last of the recovery. Randy took charge of this one. I like how were in the habbit of appointing a head man for the recover:thumb:.
4) Group shot (was trying to keep with the "spooky theme":hill:.

Thanks again everyone for another great run:thumb:.

:beer::beer:

FJCDan
10-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Wow what a great time, everyone had a great time. The Kingston Bob sled run was certainly a rush!! Now I need to get this video thing set up, I did the first rescue on video. Thanks Tim for a fun run.:bowdown::bowdown:

srptoy
10-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone that was on the spooky night run especially our leader Tim. This was my first time off road in colorado and my wife's first off-road trip ever. We both had a great time and can't wait to get out again. Coming down the bobsled run back into Rollinsville made us think we were back in the northeast driving through one of our ice storms.
Here are a bunch of pics, let me know if the link doesn't work.

Sean and Danielle

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af123/seanr11/spooky%20night%20run/

Dr. Schlegs
10-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Julie had a great time on her first time out with the club. She even was brave enough to drive after the slick turn on Kingston. Great photos everyone and Tim it was a great time. The food was excellent and wish there was not a fire ban in effect as well. It was a little tricky trying to eat with chopsticks while wearing gloves.

Julie Driving.
Tim Happy to see everyone is having a good time.
Driver's meeting, guest appearance by Spider-man.
Anna watching the road to make sure we don't slide off.
Spooky lights in the distance.

Inukshuk
10-24-2010, 01:16 PM
As we were heading home we were monitoring the radio and we heard Daniel calling for a strap :thumb: How much more fun can you have?

There was a 1-2' deep snowbank calling me. Fun!

The most exciting part for me was that first switchback before the icy section. We see some guy jogging up the road and figured it was some Boulder ultra-endurance runner out for a training run. As I round the steep switchback its Tim in the middle of the road - in my path - yelling at us "be careful its icy" so naturally in trying to avoid him I start to slide right at him and have to let up on the useless brakes and hope he gets out of the way. He did. My BFG A/Ts barely slipped at all on any of the ice.

Kudos to all the great food. i wish I had more of that chili now!

Inukshuk
10-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Just wanted to give a big thanks to everyone that was on the spooky night run especially our leader Tim. This was my first time off road in colorado and my wife's first off-road trip ever. We both had a great time and can't wait to get out again. Coming down the bobsled run back into Rollinsville made us think we were back in the northeast driving through one of our ice storms.
Here are a bunch of pics, let me know if the link doesn't work.

Sean and Danielle

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af123/seanr11/spooky%20night%20run/

Glad to have you here in CO and hope to have more time on the trails. Great pictures and thanks for taking so many of me in the deep snow!

Rock Dog
10-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Tim that was an Awsome trail! :bowdown: Greg and I had a great time sliding around through the trees trying to catch you guys.. That run through the "tunnel of trees" is fantastic! I definitely want to do that trail again. I was forced to take the antenna off the roof of the runner and put it inside.. we kept noting the scars and nicks on the trees and were wondersing how many of them were fresh ;)

The "infamous turn" on the Bobsled run was incredibly slick, and unlike Daniel, for me it was a semi controlled slide that required pointing the front end up hill and slightly hitting the gas to keep her on the road... What a rush... :thumb: Thanks again Tim for the heads up on that turn. It has been a long time since i have been driving down a road i can barely walk on because it was so slick..

Thanks agian for letting us join in late and tag along. What a great night!!!!

Inukshuk
10-24-2010, 07:27 PM
Group shot by Dmitry. Its also on Facebook.

Bruiser
10-24-2010, 09:41 PM
That picture of the group is awesome. Great time everyone, although I am not sure my wife will go on any other run if there is even a hint of snow. But, she did say it was scary so I guess the run lived up to its name.

I haven't had time to figure out why smoke came pouring out from behind my dash but when I get a chance, I will give it a look and let you all know.

Justin

dan1554
10-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Glad to have met everyone and couldn't have hoped for a better inaugural run for me and the mini. Lets just say I'm very glad to have the whole thing bedlined after going through those trees! Not that you can tell anyway, because for some reason I was the only one who came out coated top to bottom in mud.

I'm also glad to have seen the masters at work performing recovery and winchery. I was also able to try my hand at some light recovery with Daniel in the snow bank. The slick section was pretty gut-wrenching, and it was definitely more of a (un)controlled slide with a little gas thrown in to keep things straight. Still have some adrenaline pumping from that!

Anywho, was great to meet everyone. BTW, I came home with an unclaimed lamp that was left at the campsite, so I wanted to see if it belongs to anyone here.

Also, your trash is nestled safely in a City of Denver dumpster.

Daniel

RedCreeper
10-24-2010, 11:48 PM
WOW! Cant believe how much that changed in just a week. Wish i could of made it. Looked like a fun night. Glad everyone got home safe.

rover67
10-25-2010, 08:26 AM
Glad to have met everyone and couldn't have hoped for a better inaugural run for me and the mini. Lets just say I'm very glad to have the whole thing bedlined after going through those trees! Not that you can tell anyway, because for some reason I was the only one who came out coated top to bottom in mud.

I'm also glad to have seen the masters at work performing recovery and winchery. I was also able to try my hand at some light recovery with Daniel in the snow bank. The slick section was pretty gut-wrenching, and it was definitely more of a (un)controlled slide with a little gas thrown in to keep things straight. Still have some adrenaline pumping from that!

Anywho, was great to meet everyone. BTW, I came home with an unclaimed lamp that was left at the campsite, so I wanted to see if it belongs to anyone here.

Daniel

Daniel, thanks for carrying the trash out.. I meant to snag a bag from you when we took off but I forgot..

Caribou Sandstorm
10-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Hey Dan,

I think the lamp is mine. I forgot it. Is it silver/blan with a halogen type colored light?

By the way, I bit it like 3 times one the ice, I was really feeling it Sunday. The best was when Treeroot was off the road a bit and I got out of the truck and bamb..face first...Ouch.. Marco had a great response.."dude you dropped like a sack of potatos!" I am picking up some Traxs for my shoes before the snow run.

nakman
10-25-2010, 09:00 AM
WOW! Cant believe how much that changed in just a week....

Kenny you have no idea.. getting up to where you turned around was still pretty easy, but beyond that it got very slick, and worse as the night grew. the Kingston side was almost all dirt for our prerun 6 days prior, had the conditions been even close to how they were on Saturday there's nfw I'd have suggested we go back there... thankfully the group that went the whole way all had capable drivers who knew how to stay focused..

I thought about the run all yesterday and again today, what a blast!! thanks again, everyone. :thumb:

RedCreeper
10-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Kenny you have no idea.. getting up to where you turned around was still pretty easy, but beyond that it got very slick, and worse as the night grew. the Kingston side was almost all dirt for our prerun 6 days prior, had the conditions been even close to how they were on Saturday there's nfw I'd have suggested we go back there... thankfully the group that went the whole way all had capable drivers who knew how to stay focused....

Yeah and with no top either i think i might of got a bit cold.... :lmao:

I think i am parked for the winter. The detroit up front does not like to steer well in the slick stuff. If i were up there i may have been one of the ones you were pulling off the side. :eek: Now just some FJC fun in what ever we get.

RedCreeper
10-25-2010, 09:19 AM
At least my temps would of stayed down......

Inukshuk
10-25-2010, 09:42 AM
I was also able to try my hand at some light recovery with Daniel in the snow bank. The slick section was pretty gut-wrenching, and it was definitely more of a (un)controlled slide with a little gas thrown in to keep things straight. Still have some adrenaline pumping from that!

Daniel

Trash-Dan, T-Dan, Danny, oh wait - I got it "Mini Dan".

Great to meet you and have another Daniel in the crowd. Also many thanks for carrying the trash and I also apologize for not grabbing a bag at the end. Such is the fate of the guy with a cargo bed. Just ask Perry. On the Outlaws Runs he gets the gas, trash *and* Fermenting Bucket.

Thanks also for being the lost and found for that unclaimed lantern.

Chris - I think it was Greatland brand. One of those tabletop lantern types. I picked it up off the table when there was nothing but that and Chips Ahoy leftover.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Yep that is mine, just hold onto it until the club meeting.

dan1554
10-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Trash-Dan, T-Dan, Danny, oh wait - I got it "Mini Dan".

Great to meet you and have another Daniel in the crowd. Also many thanks for carrying the trash and I also apologize for not grabbing a bag at the end. Such is the fate of the guy with a cargo bed. Just ask Perry. On the Outlaws Runs he gets the gas, trash *and* Fermenting Bucket.

Thanks also for being the lost and found for that unclaimed lantern.

Chris - I think it was Greatland brand. One of those tabletop lantern types. I picked it up off the table when there was nothing but that and Chips Ahoy leftover.

No worries about the trash - there are 3 city dumpsters in the alley behind the house that my tax dollars take care of.

Mini Dan works for me :) Not looking forward to hauling the "fermenting bucket", but I guess thats my lot in life for having a truck. Just waiting for someone to have me help them move. :-/

Yep that is mine, just hold onto it until the club meeting.

Will do. I should be there!

Caribou Sandstorm
10-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks Dan!

FJCDan
10-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Some pics from Spooky Night Run 2010.