PDA

View Full Version : What is the "proper" way to change a door/courtesy light on an 80?

Jacket
10-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Pull the entire housing out of the door? Nope.
Pull the clear plastic cover off without cracking it using multiple precision surgical instruments? Probably.

wesintl
10-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Little flat head will pop the cover off.. if it doesn't the whole assembly will pop outta the door.. at least that was my case. Luckily mine didn't shatter :o

pmccumber
10-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Be very genteel ...

No, I bought a new switch, about $20 with discount. Unscrewed it at the door. The the thing was wired behind the wall. This was a Driver Rear so I popped out the panel, and was faced with disconnecting the wire.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=14310

That was actually hard. The best look I got was when I stuck my camera down there with a big zoom. I ended up lifting that thing up from the side and pulling it apart. But, I don't have much experience with those connectors.

corsair23
10-26-2010, 03:46 PM
What is the "proper" way to change a door/courtesy light on an 80?

A: PM Nakman or Treeroot before picking up a tool...They've changed those things out a bunch and must know the tricks :hill:

pmccumber
10-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Oh the light ... Not the switch. I did mine and can't remember.

Jacket
10-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks. This was kind of a joke since I did it both ways, and in both instances I broke something:rolleyes:. That plastic reflector cap is hurricane-proof.

Corbet
10-27-2010, 10:17 AM
I just used a flat head screwdriver. But the whole time I thought I was going to break something. However I did not:)

nakman
10-27-2010, 10:34 AM
A: PM Nakman or Treeroot before picking up a tool...They've changed those things out a bunch and must know the tricks :hill:

Oh you so funny... you'll never guess where I am this week. I'll give you a hit, it's a trade show.. :p:

Jacket
10-27-2010, 01:42 PM
I finally figured it out, and it's neither of the ways I was trying.

1. Do you remove the entire light housing AND the brown (or gray) plastic trim piece around it? No. That surround piece is more or less fixed in place, although with enough coaxing it'll break free;).

2. Do you just pop off the clear reflector cover with the unit in the door? No - you'll break the plastic trying to pry it off with the restrictive surrounding plastic.

Instead - you wedge a thin screw driver deep into the side of the housing, and get it far enough back to dislodge the inner socket housing from the outer surround plastic piece. The inner housing pops out, and exposes the wire harness. Separate the harness, and then pop the clear reflector cover off the light housing.

sorry - no pics....

TIMZTOY
10-27-2010, 02:08 PM
Oh you so funny... you'll never guess where I am this week. I'll give you a hit, it's a trade show.. :p:

Sema

treerootCO
10-27-2010, 02:44 PM
I finally figured it out, and it's neither of the ways I was trying.

1. Do you remove the entire light housing AND the brown (or gray) plastic trim piece around it? No. That surround piece is more or less fixed in place, although with enough coaxing it'll break free;).

2. Do you just pop off the clear reflector cover with the unit in the door? No - you'll break the plastic trying to pry it off with the restrictive surrounding plastic.

Instead - you wedge a thin screw driver deep into the side of the housing, and get it far enough back to dislodge the inner socket housing from the outer surround plastic piece. The inner housing pops out, and exposes the wire harness. Separate the harness, and then pop the clear reflector cover off the light housing.

sorry - no pics....

I broke all mine :D

Sema

Sema is next week.

nakman
10-27-2010, 03:02 PM
not sema, but a show Treeroot would also like... :)

edit: ok here's the pic