PDA

View Full Version : I need some longer lasting towing tires

RockRunner
10-29-2010, 09:44 AM
I bought the Nitto Terra Grapler due to its reputation. I got 305-70-17 E rated tires at the end of last November. I checked the depth last week after comparing mine to Sharon's and mine were at 8/32" when they started and 16/32". I have about 10k on them with 2 trips to Moab, one trip to Glenwood Springs and a trip hauling wood back from Winter Park.

I have a 1800# dry weight camper that when full is about 2500# plus 600# in the cab. I either tow my boat 100# tongue weight or my 4Runner about 200# plus tongue weight.

I can't believe that the tires wore so quickly nor can the shop that sold them to me. They will buy them back from me, still loosing money, and gove me a good deal on the new ones. I am looking at the Toyo A/T now since it has a carry rating of 2950# per tire, yeah I will bouncing around.

So does anybody know of a tire that can handle the weight, be an A/T, sized 33-35 and reasonable in price. I looked at the new General Graber, great tire BTW, but not in my weight range and size.

Give me some ideas please :cheers:

sleeoffroad
10-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Terra grapler AT's don't last on a tow rig. Ask me how I know. However last time I went with Dura Grapplers and they are much better on my Chevy. They do not do well in snow or ice, not horrible but not excellent either, but they are smooth on the road and I have gotten good wear out of them.

Air Randy
10-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I had a set of Goodyear Wranglers on my Dodge which I use very similar to you carrying a camper, towing the car trailer, etc. I had 53K on them when I replaced them and they were barely to the wear bars. You do have to make sure you are running up around 50 psi when you're loaded heavy. The ride isn't as soft but the tires wear much better.

I've also gotten similar mileage out of BFG AT's on my other trucks and thats what I put new on the Dodge this time.

Corbet
10-29-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm not a fan but if you want longer life go with the BFG AT's.

J Kimmel
10-29-2010, 04:28 PM
good thread...my BFG's SUCK...second set, 265 75 16 on my Duramax and they are E rated, never got more than 25 K on them.
:thumb:

Corbet
10-29-2010, 05:47 PM
I honestly don't think your going to see much more than 30K out of any AT tire with regular towing on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

RLMS
10-29-2010, 06:47 PM
yokohama geolanders! 50,000 miles on my last set. They also worked well in snow and ice!!

Justin

Corbet
10-29-2010, 09:27 PM
and if they don't last that long at least they are pretty affordable compared to others. I had a set on my Dodge 1500 that were great. But did not see the punishment of a heavy duty.

Air Randy
10-30-2010, 09:44 AM
I honestly don't think your going to see much more than 30K out of any AT tire with regular towing on a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

I have to disagree, at least on my rig. On my 07 2500 Dodge, which spends most of it's life towing a heavy car trailer with a camper on it, I got well over 50K miles on the BFG AT's. Justin at Redline even kept the tires for spares because they weren't down to the wear bars yet. I rotate them religiously at 5K mile intervals and keep the pressure at 50 psi. The truck has never been aligned since new. Make sure you're getting the heavier ply rated tires, they ride rougher but will last longer.

As far as traction, its hard to say but I have no complaints. It's a diesel truck with a lot of weight over the front axle. When the camper is on the rear its got plenty of weight there too. I've towed the loaded 26' car trailer over I-70 during icey, snow packed conditions and in 4hi it has never spun a wheel. Hell Tom, you drove it over the snow packed passes last year at the Moab pre-run with camper & trailer when we had to go Hwy 50 due to the highway closure, any complaints with the performance?

I'm not trying to sell BFG AT's, I'm just saying they've worked fine for me. My truck spends 99% of the time driving in decent conditions and rarely goes off road so I'm interested in tire longevity, being quiet on the road, and on pavement performance in snow and rain. The BFG's and the Wranglers have all met those requirements. One difference between Tom's truck and mine, which may account for the wear discrepancy, he runs a larger size tire with a suspension lift. My rig and tire size is factory stock.

I had 3 Ford F250 diesel trucks prior to this Dodge and I routinely got 50K miles on their tires, but again I ran stock size tires.

ScaldedDog
10-30-2010, 11:32 AM
I have to disagree, at least on my rig. On my 07 2500 Dodge, which spends most of it's life towing a heavy car trailer with a camper on it, I got well over 50K miles on the BFG AT's. ...As far as traction, its hard to say but I have no complaints....I'm not trying to sell BFG AT's, I'm just saying they've worked fine for me.

x2. I got 45K on my first set, and at 40K was still the first husband out of the neighborhood in a huge snowstorm. :Princess: :bowdown: :D (My wife *had* to get to work.)

I've been equally happy with my second set. 285 E's (1 size up from stock), kept at 65psi for the road and 80psi towing on an 8000lb Excursion.

Mark

RockRunner
11-01-2010, 08:19 PM
Still researching but I can't find much that I like. I need/want good traction in snow and ice and miles, 40K would be nice.

I just don't know about the BFG's, had some bad exp. before but I guess things change. I do run 65 psi in them and higher when towing.

Air Randy
11-02-2010, 09:43 AM
I say again: I get good traction in snow and ice with my tires. You drove the truck over snow packed passes with the camper and loaded car trailer, did you spin a wheel? Or have trouble stopping?

You could put super swampers on your truck and the traction will still be crappy in the rear in 2wd unless you load it with weight. So any time the roads are bad you're going to put it in 4wd. When you do that there is going to be very little difference (detectable) in the way it performs unless you put on studded tires.

Focus on getting tires (whatever brand) that are going to give you the best value for the money in terms of mileage, sound level and smoothness since that is what will matter 99% of the time.

By the way, I checked and my tires are BFG TA's not AT's. Let me say this about the Goodyear Wranglers: I ran them on every company 4x4 I had for over 20 years. They always wore well, had good off road traction, were good on pavement tires for rain and in over 20 years I never had a flat for any reason. Keep in mind during that 20 year period I went through a set of tires each year as I was maxxing out a vehicle (100K miles) every 18-24 months, so that is close to 1M miles of experience.

They're probably way pricey but I would check out the new Goodyear Kevlar MTR's. I know the traction on them is awesome, it would be interesting to see how they wear on the road.

RockRunner
11-02-2010, 08:31 PM
My biggest problem is finding the weight requirement I need for my truck in the size I want. I am looking between 33 and 34" tires. So far the only one I found so far is the Toyo A/T but they are back ordered for a while now.

Beater
11-03-2010, 06:50 AM
you will find that there is still a unique division in HT tires vs AT tires. Call Stan an goodyear downtown, mention me, (john henley) and tell him exactly what you want, he'll try and meet your needs. 303 297 nine 122. The new wrangler at/r may be what you are after.

j

AddictedOffroad
11-06-2010, 09:06 AM
yokohama geolanders! 50,000 miles on my last set. They also worked well in snow and ice!!

Justin

Completely agree. I have an Excursion with them on it. Bought the X with them pretty much brand new. I have 13K on them and barely notice any wear at all. They are 285/75/16 D rated tires. But, they are rated at 3300lbs each. They have a 50K mileage rating too. Very good in snow and ice as I can barely get the rear end to break loose when I try to in 2wd on packed or icy roads. I honestly rarely put it into 4wd. The weight of the X helps, but I am thoroughly impressed with these. They measure out at 33.1" tall based on specs too.

Discount Tire Direct has the 285s for around $147/ea too. Free shipping and no sales tax. But, your local Discount tire would match that price as well.

I would run another set in a heart beat.

RockRunner
11-06-2010, 08:46 PM
I have used the Geolander's before, great tire. I am looking at 38-3900 carrying capacity. Toyo has a mud terrain that will work too, might be an option.

Thanks for all the input guys.

AddictedOffroad
11-07-2010, 06:34 PM
I have used the Geolander's before, great tire. I am looking at 38-3900 carrying capacity. Toyo has a mud terrain that will work too, might be an option.

Thanks for all the input guys.

The Toyo Open Country MT is a great tire. I ran 37s on my old Excursion. They were rated at 4400lbs a piece. I have loaded the crap out of them and they barely bulged. IMHO, its the best tow rig Mud terrain around. I doubt you will get much more than 35-40K out of them though. But, they are siped, and I never had an issue with a tire at all towing a 26ft enclosed everywhere including loading 12,000lbs into it when we moved to Colorado from California. Great tire if you want an M/T.

RockRunner
11-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Thanks, good to hear somebody with real world exp. on the same tire. I guess I am going to go for those.