PDA

View Full Version : And another fire near Boulder.....

60wag
10-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Boulder Canyon just west of town near elephant Butress and the Dome. Downtown is thick with smoke and they issued an evacuation order for houses north of Canyon to High st, west of 7th.

I hope the wind doesn't pick up much more.

More info:
http://www.boulderoem.com/emergency-status

powderpig
10-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Yep, I am out of town when Robin called me on this. The power got turned out for a bit as well. She did stay in the house last night, but did not sleep a wink. I do hope the fire is contained as I saw earlier today. That way she can have a good night sleep.
We need some more moisture, some one do a rain/snow dance.

60wag
10-31-2010, 07:41 AM
Fortunately the fire was brought under control pretty quickly. I'da like to have heard some of the phone calls made requesting air support. They initially reported that only one small plane was available but the big tankers seemed to show up pretty quickly.

On Friday afternoon I went up to the top of Flagstaff Mountain to get a look at the fire. There wasn't much to see. See pic. The bomber had just finished its last run so I missed seeing a retardant drop.

What I did see up there that was kinda cool was a portable radio trailer. Two guys were setting the thing up to be able to relay some video they were shooting. I'm pretty sure it was all amateur. I tried to strike up a conversation to find out more about the trailer but the guys were pretty focused on setting up equipment rather than talking about it.

The trailer had a generator on it but appeared to be drawing power from the truck it was hitched to. It was an H3 that was jammed full of radio gear. The other guy was driving a white FJ60 with a motorized antenna mount boulted to a roof rack.