PDA

View Full Version : How long should a lift kit last?

Caribou Sandstorm
10-30-2010, 08:28 PM
I have a 3" Pro Comp lift on my FJC. When it was brand new and with 33" tires, I could not pull into the garage...

Same garage but the other day I had the 315s on and it pulled right in.

I have 45K miles on my 3" lift. Thinking it might be time for a replacement.

Any input from those that have a lot more experience in this area would be great, thanks.

Red_Chili
10-31-2010, 01:49 AM
When I ran a ProComp on the 1990 4Runner, the springs lost a lot of lift over time. Dunno if you could just replace the springs, leaving everything else? I went Old Man Emu in the rear and never looked back.

I find myself waiting for the new build Alcan front springs to sag a bit to match the older rears. Ain't gonna happen. The air bag fab I did makes it all good though.

Air Randy
10-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Some spring settling is normal. If the tires still clear and everything else still works, why replace them?

DaveInDenver
10-31-2010, 08:49 AM
Some spring settling is normal. If the tires still clear and everything else still works, why replace them?
Yup. I'd bet if he watched it closer the ride level settled a lot in the first few thousand miles. They also probably ride & flex a lot nicer now than when they were new and had advertised lift. OTOH, Bill mentioned OME. For some reason the OME (mine are Malaysian-made Dakar) on my truck actually have not settled much in about 28 months and 'round 20K-ish miles.

Corbet
10-31-2010, 09:19 AM
and if your like most you may have added some more weight to the vehicle since you installed the lift.

Caribou Sandstorm
10-31-2010, 09:38 AM
OME was almost double the price, now maybe I see why.

The Pro Comp corp folks I spoke to said that the Pro Comp 3 was equal to the OME...OME uses Monroe and so does Pro Comp, they are just made in diff, regions of the world.

But origin is probably not the issue, Robbie pointed out to me when I first had this set installed, that not all Monroe's are spec'd the same, that is something I didn't think of...what level product quality are mine vs. an OMe set.

The feed back I have heard is that OMEs are pretty stiff, maybe that lends to their long term performance. The Pro Comps have been very comfortable.

But at $529.00 for a compelete set of springs and shocks from Pro Comp, I am half tempted to repeat that purchase for another 45K miles...

I have always wanted to do the coil over set up from Doug at Toy Tec but not sure I understand the benefits or difference.

I thought someone once said 50K miles is about the right time to change out your shocks/springs..Not sure if that is accurate.

nakman
10-31-2010, 05:02 PM
I thought someone once said 50K miles is about the right time to change out your shocks/springs..Not sure if that is accurate.

That must be an FJ Cruiser thing.. every 50k? :eek:

srptoy
10-31-2010, 05:23 PM
I have the toytec coilovers and have no complaints. The only benefit that I see is that if you put more weight on the front like I just did with the ARB and winch I was able to crank them up 2 turns to get the nose back up.

Corbet
10-31-2010, 08:32 PM
you could also look into the Iron Man lift. Mine has been great so far

Dr. Schlegs
11-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Solid Axle.:)

sleeoffroad
11-02-2010, 06:58 AM
It should last way more than that. Are you sure that you are now just sitting at the 3" as advertised and that it was higher previously before you added all the weight.

As for coil-overs, for most not worth it. Also issues with corrosion and you loose the adjustability when everything stick together due to corrosion.

farnhamstj
11-08-2010, 09:40 AM
I am replaceing my rear shocks today after 115k of use. OME. Got my money's worth for sure. Not ride height related but seemed relevant to the conversation.