PDA

View Full Version : Where to find hardware like this?

MDH33
11-03-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm building something and I need a piece of hardware that I'm not sure exists.

Something like this (sorry for the crappy illustration):

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/1076423633_bvx2f-O.jpg

Basically I have a length of 5/8" threaded rod that I want to anchor into a beam. I need a cylindrical piece of rod, 3" long that is drilled and tapped to accept the rod. Is there anything off the shelf that I can get that will do this? Or will I have to make something? Any other ideas?

Thanks for letting me pick your brains. :hill:

subzali
11-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Search mcmaster.com and see what you can find.

coax
11-03-2010, 04:33 PM
So I am bored and it appears its called something like a cross dowel nut or barrel nut, though I can't find them on mcmaster

Hulk
11-03-2010, 04:38 PM
Something like this (sorry for the crappy illustration):

Damn. One man's crappy illustration is another man's masterpiece.

TIMZTOY
11-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Make it your self. Hell it would only take like 5 minutes to make it. I have everything but the 3" piece. But you can pick it up At depot.
But I suppose it all depends on how much they want for it when you find it

Inukshuk
11-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Basically I have a length of 5/8" threaded rod that I want to anchor into a beam. .... Any other ideas?

This does sound like something where fabrication is the easiest solution easily made, but what is the application. Maybe there is a different solution. Pick my homebuilder brain.

I have seen similar setups of smaller diameter components frequently used for furniture that one assembles at home.

What diameter of 3" smooth rod do you need? Why is the anchor a rod vs. a plate or a threaded insert? (pictured below) What is the load?

TIMZTOY
11-03-2010, 04:51 PM
What diameter of 3" smooth rod do you need? Why is the anchor a rod vs. a plate or a threaded insert? (pictured below) What is the load?

True. I could easily just drill a hole and weld a nut on the back of the plate and that would take less time than threading a hole.

So 2 minutes. Lol:dunno::weld:

MDH33
11-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Yeah, if I had the tools, it would be the easiest solution, but I don't. :o

The application is basically needing to anchor a 5/8 piece of threaded rod into a 3" thick softwood beam so that it can hold weight. I would use a lag, but I don't trust the wood. So, I'm thinking that the drilled/tapped metal rod passing through the beam would help secure the threaded rod. I can't use a plate because there's no clean way to pass it through the beam, and it can't be placed on the top/side becasue of the location. (not sure if that makes sense). :o

MDH33
11-03-2010, 05:18 PM
So I am bored and it appears its called something like a cross dowel nut or barrel nut, though I can't find them on mcmaster

Those seem close. I just need a really big one! I'll start searching. thanks. :thumb:

TIMZTOY
11-03-2010, 05:28 PM
So it has to go threw the 3" piece regardless ?

Buy some rod and bring your threaded rod to the meeting and I'll drill and tap it for you. As Many as needed.

Beater
11-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Martin - you know I do much with my junk anymore, and you can come over anytime. I have faced your dilemma before with that situation, and you could jam nut it on each side with either a nylon or rubber bushing, or an aluminum one in galvonic corrosion isn't an issue.

j

Air Randy
11-03-2010, 11:12 PM
If you're looking for solid rod versus heavy wall tube, you're going to need a really thick piece to have enough meat left on either side of a 5/8" hole. You're talking 1-1/8 to 1-1/2 inch thick dowel. I think I have a piece of the large solid stock left that I made my spare tire carrier pivot on my bumper out of. Let me know if you can't find anything else.

MDH33
11-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Thanks guys. I'm going to purchase some supplies and then I'll hit you up for some cutting/drilling/welding help. :thumb:

Woodsman
11-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't think you will find that "off the shelf". I work in the woodworking industry and all that I've seen are much shorter (like and inch or so) and smaller in overall diameter (such as for 1/4 to 3/8 threaded rod). I think you will be making it from scratch.