PDA

View Full Version : Trail Creek project with CUSP

MDH33
11-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Just got back from a very productive day of trail work with CUSP down on Trail Creek. A huge THANK YOU to everyone who showed up! We had 12 Rising Sun members help out and we made short work of hauling and unloading all the rock. I didn't have a camera with me but hopefully someone got a few.

Thanks again everyone for giving up your Saturday to do trail work.

Rzeppa
11-06-2010, 05:10 PM
I had a great time and didn't re-injure my shoulder:thumb:

Am uploading photos from the camera right now, will post up shortly.

In summary, we hauled 20 tons of rip rap ranging in size from 20" to 2" from a staging area to some areas where Trail Creek Road is washing out into the creek. There were 21 spots where it was washing out, we completely mitigated 13 of those before we ran out of rock. If we had more rock, we could have finished the whole job with the rigs and helping hands we had on hand. I hauled 3 one ton loads, placed the first 2 myself, the last load there were around 5-6 people helping and it took about 10 minutes.

Rzeppa
11-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Tim Nakari and Jeff Zettl wait their turn to load up Tim's trailer.

Rzeppa
11-06-2010, 05:53 PM
I don't know the name of the member with the green 4runner, but this was what loading looked like.

Rzeppa
11-06-2010, 05:55 PM
This was the pile of rip rap. You can see that some of those were pretty large chunks.

MDH33
11-06-2010, 05:56 PM
I don't know the name of the member with the green 4runner, but this was what loading looked like.

That was Dan (MountainGoat). He was driving his wife's 'runner instead of his 40 or 80. ;)

Rzeppa
11-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Loading the Land Cruiser. I normally line with a tarp when I haul material to make cleaning up easier, and to cover it when needed. In the first shot, you can see John from CUSP directing Jeff who was operating the loader. It was a clamshell loader, which is a nice style of bucket.

Rzeppa
11-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Oh yeah, bring it home! I want more baby! Land Cruisers are made to WORK!

Rzeppa
11-06-2010, 06:03 PM
This was where I was working, pin number one. At the lower right, you can almost see where the washouts have been marked with marking paint, and where I had started to fill them in on the previous load. There is about a ton or so in the bed of that truck.

Rzeppa
11-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Lisa from CUSP, who organized this project, and yours truly.

Rzeppa
11-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Inhabitants of the firehouse, where we had lunch when we were done.

Rzeppa
11-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Just below the flag, you can see the hillside that was burned by the Hayman Fire. West Creek was right in the middle of things when that conflageration went up in 2002.

Rzeppa
11-06-2010, 06:09 PM
I took this right next to the fire station. It was a miracle that the fire station itself wasn't burned.

Eight years on, you can see the ground cover taking hold. Still, hundreds of tons of sediment per acre wash down every year in the burn area. It will take a lot more work to stabilize this watershed.

jacdaw
11-06-2010, 06:50 PM
My shots part 1

jacdaw
11-06-2010, 06:52 PM
my shots 2

jacdaw
11-06-2010, 06:53 PM
my shots 3

MDH33
11-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures Jeff and John! :thumb:

jacdaw
11-06-2010, 07:19 PM
That was a really fun day.

Old40Dog
11-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Thanks to Martin, Lisa, Jeff and all of those that participated today! The Taco, Mini-truck and Chebbie all made the trip successfully. Idelle, Rachel and I had a real fun time today. Always great time when out with this fine group!

jacdaw
11-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks to Martin, Lisa, Jeff and all of those that participated today! The Taco, Mini-truck and Chebbie all made the trip successfully. Idelle, Rachel and I had a real fun time today. Always great time when out with this fine group!Ah good, so Rachel got home okay then. I think she stopped at 285 to unlock her hubs and then I think she caught up to me again only to take the Evergreen turn off from 73. That seemed like familiar enough territory to assume I did okay.

Convert
11-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks Martin good job organizing:thumb::thumb::beer:

nuclearlemon
11-06-2010, 09:30 PM
good talking to ya this morning nakman. glad you had a good day. you missed an interesting day on carnage bv...oh, i mean chinaman (but we really need to rename it carnage after today).

corsair23
11-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks to Martin and Ricardo for getting this setup and for everyone that attended :thumb: - And thanks to Nakman for letting me ride around in the plush 100 :drool:

I took a few pictures that I'll try to get uploaded tonight. Hard to fully comprehend how big the burn area is but I went by an old camping spot I use to spend time at 20+ years ago (north of Cheesman by a few miles) that we nicknamed the "hidden spot". It is 10+ miles as the crow flies from where we were placing rock. Sadly the area is almost entirely burnt. This type of mitigation work will be needed for years and years to come.

Rzeppa
11-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks to Martin and Ricardo for getting this setup and for everyone that attended :thumb: - And thanks to Nakman for letting me ride around in the plush 100 :drool:

I took a few pictures that I'll try to get uploaded tonight. Hard to fully comprehend how big the burn area is but I went by an old camping spot I use to spend time at 20+ years ago (north of Cheesman by a few miles) that we nicknamed the "hidden spot". It is 10+ miles as the crow flies from where we were placing rock. Sadly the area is almost entirely burnt. This type of mitigation work will be needed for years and years to come.

So True Jeff. Since hundreds of thousands of acres is kind of hard to put into perspective, converted to square miles it is over 230 square miles that burned.

subzali
11-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Riding my dirtbike on Hackett, Longwater and Metberry Gulches, as well as driving to the Goose Creek Trailhead to get into the Lost Creek Wilderness helped see a couple different "ends" of the burn area, but it's so much larger than even that. I'm not sure there are really any good vantage points where you can view the whole burn at one time due to its size...unless of course you're in an airplane or something. Awesome work guys to keep the Land Use spirit alive in the club and for building relationships with other communities. :risingsun:

LisafromCusp
11-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Thank you Rising Sun, the work you did in this drainage is huge and invaluable. I loved working with and meeting each of you. It was a great day!All the best, Lisa from Cusp

ps, John & Jeff, thank you for the invite, I will come out and play when you are in my neck of the woods, K?

nakman
11-09-2010, 09:50 PM
thanks again for the yummy brownies Lisa, they made it all worth it. Had fun tossing big rocks as well and glad I was able to pitch in. :cheers:

MDH33
11-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Big thanks to Ige for submitting a letter which was published in the latest issue of High Trails calling for support for our work in the Hayman area with CUSP. Unfortunately the issue wasn't out in time, but the gesture is much appreciated. :thumb:

MDH33
11-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Did anybody find a white leather work glove in the parking area before we left? Lost one apparently. :(

jacdaw
11-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Did anybody find a white leather work glove in the parking area before we left? Lost one apparently. :(Martin, I'll look in my truck in the morning...

Thanks again for riding co-dog with me.:thumb:

Nak, you're right, Lisa's brownies were awesome. Great end to the day.