PDA

View Full Version : Old Chinaman Gulch Run - Sat. Nov. 6th -Trip Report

Inukshuk
11-06-2010, 09:40 PM
Carnage first. Name those bits and rigs!

Inukshuk
11-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Rock Garden

Inukshuk
11-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Playing on the Double Slab

Inukshuk
11-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Lunch!
1. Cheeseman & Ige
2. Deelicious pork, smoked chicken, susage and saffron rice. Prepared by Dmitry, headed by 1FZFE.
3. Yoder family enjoys.
4. Group relaxes
5. Cooker loaded with 9x12 roasting pan!

Inukshuk
11-06-2010, 10:00 PM
On the trail

Inukshuk
11-06-2010, 10:05 PM
oops - more carnage. Can you guess the last one? 8-Ball definitely goes to Tom.

Convert
11-06-2010, 10:05 PM
How many rigs ? Love to see Nay Spinning 37s . That trail just gets tougher and tougher :thumb:

Inukshuk
11-06-2010, 10:08 PM
The Group. The end.

Convert
11-06-2010, 10:09 PM
oops - more carnage. Can you guess the last one? 8-Ball definitely goes to Tom.

Looks like he has been taking lessons from Randy:lmao:

ScaldedDog
11-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Yep, it was a tough day to be Tom. But a good day wheeling, anyway.

Mark

Sandman
11-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Obstacle (forgot the name, double something...)
Double Slab.

Wow, what a great day of wheeling that was! It couldn't have been any better. Great weather, great company, great scenery, and a great trail! :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
11-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Great pics! Thanks guys!

JadeRunner
11-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Great run. I had a great time wheeling with everyone and being on a run with my kids. They had a good time also which was rewarding.

We had about 11 rigs and everyone was well built and prepared. It was just Mike Brown. Ige and myself on little 33's. With Dave Nay behind me I didn't touch my recovery gear all day.

Tom was really going for it on the Yoder Rock obstacle. He was having fun and trying a big line I hadn't seen before. He pushed several components of his front end to the breaking point. He still managed to complete the run with us in 2wd and had fun with that also.

We made pretty good time through the double slab and sheps revenge. The decent was pretty tricky and tippy and I assume Tom had problems controlling his rig and flipped. We were down the trail and didn't get to see what happened. He was able to right himself pretty quickly. But, his front end showed some other issues and he had to do a trail fix a slowly limp back.

My 7 year old said several times "Tom is having a rough day". She was very interested to see which side he rolled on on how he would get out of his rig.

Steve drove the Gecko like a champ after he got used to it. Marco flexed out hard over everything real well and ScaldedDog spanked the hard line on whale rock with ease. Cheesman was in "kick back" mode watching all the action and enjoying a well deserved day out wheelin' in the sunshine (no hard line on whale rock for him this time). Nay found some side challenges. Dan skipped the optional obstacles, got through everything cleanly and ate lunch in style (thanks for the bonus lunch). Carlos and the FJCruiser also did real well and were having fun.

The believe Steve had to drive the Gecko back so they could trailer Tom's rig. I assume they got back ok.

Beater
11-07-2010, 09:49 AM
cheeseman - did you get a softtopper?

FJBRADY
11-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Great run. I had a great time wheeling with everyone and being on a run with my kids. They had a good time also which was rewarding.

We had about 11 rigs and everyone was well built and prepared. It was just Mike Brown. Ige and myself on little 33's. With Dave Nay behind me I didn't touch my recovery gear all day.

Tom was really going for it on the Yoder Rock obstacle. He was having fun and trying a big line I hadn't seen before. He pushed several components of his front end to the breaking point. He still managed to complete the run with us in 2wd and had fun with that also.

We made pretty good time through the double slab and sheps revenge. The decent was pretty tricky and tippy and I assume Tom had problems controlling his rig and flipped. We were down the trail and didn't get to see what happened. He was able to right himself pretty quickly. But, his front end showed some other issues and he had to do a trail fix a slowly limp back.

My 7 year old said several times "Tom is having a rough day". She was very interested to see which side he rolled on on how he would get out of his rig.

Steve drove the Gecko like a champ after he got used to it. Marco flexed out hard over everything real well and ScaldedDog spanked the hard line on whale rock with ease. Cheesman was in "kick back" mode watching all the action and enjoying a well deserved day out wheelin' in the sunshine (no hard line on whale rock for him this time). Nay found some side challenges. Dan skipped the optional obstacles, got through everything cleanly and ate lunch in style (thanks for the bonus lunch). Carlos and the FJCruiser also did real well and were having fun.

The believe Steve had to drive the Gecko back so they could trailer Tom's rig. I assume they got back ok.

Scott you are sooo hired as the The Clubs new Trip Report dude :cheers:

Yup Gecko back in the Rosetta line up safe and sound minus one knuckle stud............Tom's a :pirate:

Great run :thumb:

RockRunner
11-07-2010, 01:14 PM
I will comment later on all the things, no time to do it now. Still a good day.............sort of.

FJBRADY
11-07-2010, 02:13 PM
I will comment later on all the things

Tom, you mentioned to me at the begining of the trail that you hit something hard on the front left and soon after everything fell apart :dunno: maybe a coincidence maybe not.

TRDCRUISER95
11-07-2010, 02:44 PM
I would like to thank everyone :thumb: it was a very nice day, if you don't see a video from your Toyota I apologize! i hope you guys enjoy the videos.
I hope to see you guys soon!!!:cheers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLnrOWkQR84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jr_BamBMWc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXZSP13KTA0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XMbFqqmOH0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpT3hYsWycA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO16tPFICcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_cyImdgXM8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLVbTmX5Bjs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GWORlneGbk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2CYERCjZy0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXN6g5osOqU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTk2ytgdDPw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRbiF00eIbA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0qyRvpMUuo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0EZBaYIm20

carlos,

FJBRADY
11-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Pictures

FJBRADY
11-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Few more

nicholasandrews
11-07-2010, 07:53 PM
great pics and videos - looks like an awesome time!!! Thanks for sharing everyone!

rover67
11-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Carlos, thanks for posting the movies, that's sweet!

Allison and I had a blast. The group was capable and experienced which was great. It was nice seeing all of you guys out :) Tom, sorry you had such a tough time..

Thanks for spotting me over the rock pile Dave, that was a blast. I was really doubtful that the 60 could make it over that line, but it did. you've got that one figured out.

Had a great opportunity to see where I need to work on the 60 to make those tires fit better.

Anyways, it was a fun trail, lots of challenges that were as hard as you wanted to make 'em. Thanks Scott for setting it up and having us along, we enjoyed it!

Included is a shot of Mark. He made it look easy all day.

-Marco

Air Randy
11-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Yup Gecko back in the Rosetta line up safe and sound minus one knuckle stud............Tom's a :pirate:

Did you break one or did you have to steal it to fix Tom's junk? :lmao::lmao:

Inukshuk
11-07-2010, 09:08 PM
GPS track for the Chinaman's run. Zip file is Garmin format (.gdb) and there is a GPS exchange (.gpx) too.

Stats:
2.7 from Gunsmoke to parking
6.6 miles on trail
2:22 moving time
6:59 elapsed time overall
Moving Avg Speed 4.4 mph

RockRunner
11-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Tom, you mentioned to me at the begining of the trail that you hit something hard on the front left and soon after everything fell apart :dunno: maybe a coincidence maybe not.

Could very likely have been the beginning of the end.:o

Air Randy
11-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Mr. RockRunner please notice that stud is one of those super neat ARP units from TG. So lets see............hhmm.........

ARP knuckle stud-$10 check
Stud nut-$1.75 check
Wave washer-.60 check
Cone washer-$3 check

seeing Tom be the roll-over queen instead of me and now he owes me parts-PRICELESS! :thumb::hill:

RockRunner
11-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Did you break one or did you have to steal it to fix Tom's junk? :lmao::lmao:

I stole it :D Then promptly lost it somewhere along the trail. Don't worry I will need to order some pretty soon and get some extra ones. I also have some goodies coming next week.........................:cool:

AxleIke
11-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Nice pics and trip report.

Tom, what on earth happened? I don't see anything that you would have climbed up to tip you over on? Did the runner just get sleepy and fall over for a nap? :D

Nay
11-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Great day for sure - thanks for the awesome run, nice to see the pics and video, including my poser stuck shot :hill:

RockRunner
11-07-2010, 09:58 PM
OK so I had some rough spots on the trail, still had fun but came home a little bummed out.
I would like to thank everyone for all their help and patience while I was trying to blow up my truck and then sort of fix it.

First person I need to thank is Mark, he had my truck upright in about 10 minutes. If we would not have called on the radio nobody would have known :rolleyes:

Second are Steve and Michelle, Steve had to drive the Gecko back to Randy's house instead of using the trailer, not a fun drive and I know first hand.

Third Person is Ige, she towed me out just in case. We did not want to put to much pressure on the front end and thought this could help. We made it down OK.

Last was my wife who just looked at it and said " well that is why you build it and build the cage" Not bad having a wive who understands:D

So now some of my pictures :rolleyes:

My new axles I will be getting next week. I went online last night just to see what was new and found these for sale...................lucky me:eek:

Here is the desciption of the parts.

Diamond Front Axle Housing- 69" WMS, big fill, knuckle gussets, and custom shafts-

Diamond rear axle housing- 68.25" WMS, big fill, full float, and custom shafts-

Both are 30 spline

Brakes are slotted and drilled.

Guess I am going full size :cool:

RockRunner
11-07-2010, 09:59 PM

Could very likely have been the beginning of the end.:o

Inukshuk
11-07-2010, 10:04 PM
If anyone wants pictures direct - e-mail me. Its in my signature line. I probably know name and rig, but as my mind is getting old, just be kind and remind me.

J Kimmel
11-07-2010, 10:09 PM
wow...let me know when we are putting those in :)

didn't take the trailer?

ScaldedDog
11-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Wow, Tom! Nice!!! It looks like the day turned out pretty good, after all!!!

Those are exactly like mine, though 3" wider. FWIW, I had to go to 17" wheels to get the tire off the TRE when I ditched the spacers. 4.5" backspacing with no spacers make steering *lots* easier!

Dmitry
11-07-2010, 10:19 PM
If you're in any of these photos and you'd like a high-resolution file, just shoot me a message with your truck description and your email address, and I'll send it over right away. :)

RockRunner
11-07-2010, 10:24 PM
wow...let me know when we are putting those in :)

didn't take the trailer?

I will, I am sure I will need some help:rolleyes:

Was going to but the bad omens had started already, forgot the keys at home. Went to Scotts' house at 20th and Union then was going to pick up the trailer but............well.......:o

I;ll get the Moab story from you later.

RockRunner
11-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Nice pics and trip report.

Tom, what on earth happened? I don't see anything that you would have climbed up to tip you over on? Did the runner just get sleepy and fall over for a nap? :D

Steering was all messed up and continued to turn right on top of the rock to the left of the picture. It is a sharp right with a tilt to the left and yes the Habenero was tired or was that me:rolleyes:

RockRunner
11-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Mr. RockRunner please notice that stud is one of those super neat ARP units from TG. So lets see............hhmm.........

ARP knuckle stud-$10 check
Stud nut-$1.75 check
Wave washer-.60 check
Cone washer-$3 check

seeing Tom be the roll-over queen instead of me and now he owes me parts-PRICELESS! :thumb::hill:

Don't forget the use of your garage this winter to install my new axles,,,,,,,,,,,,

RockRunner
11-07-2010, 10:34 PM
If anybody has any pics of my yellow broken down slug please email them to me. Full size would be awesome. Please send to trompies@gmail.com

Thanks Tom

ScaldedDog
11-07-2010, 10:38 PM
If you're in any of these photos and you'd like a high-resolution file, just shoot me a message with your truck description and your email address, and I'll send it over right away. :)

This one is great!

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=21792&stc=1&d=1289193459

Mark

Inukshuk
11-07-2010, 11:12 PM

D-Train!!! :cheers:

Inukshuk
11-07-2010, 11:34 PM
If anybody has any pics of my yellow broken down slug please email them to me. Full size would be awesome. Please send to trompies@gmail.com
Thanks Tom

Will do. I was shooting live on Yoder Rock.

This one is great!
Mark

Love the sidewall flex

rover67
11-08-2010, 08:21 AM
Whoa! Sweet pics Dmirty!

Check out that tire on Dave's truck!

pmccumber
11-08-2010, 08:40 AM
Lots of great photos and vids. Thanks for sharing. That little grey mini sure made that very difficult line look simple!

Air Randy
11-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Don't forget the use of your garage this winter to install my new axles,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yep, no problem. I think we should go ahead and link it while were at it. Be sure and order up some spare axles now. Those are custom length and if you break one there won't be any spares for you to borrow from.

ScaldedDog
11-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Yep, no problem. I think we should go ahead and link it while were at it. Be sure and order up some spare axles now. Those are custom length and if you break one there won't be any spares for you to borrow from.

Tom, is that rear drilled for Supra calipers, or something else?

Mark

Nay
11-08-2010, 03:34 PM
This one is great!

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/attachment.php?attachmentid=21792&stc=1&d=1289193459

Mark

Now I know why Scott was saying that might not be the best spot for a poser pic. Maybe 10 PSI is a little low for my stock non-beadlock rims :eek:

Great angle on that shot! :thumb:

corsair23
11-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Now I know why Scott was saying that might not be the best spot for a poser pic. Maybe 10 PSI is a little low for my stock non-beadlock rims :eek:

Pretty sure I saw in the video Scott and family moving out of the area right quick as well :hill:

Inukshuk
11-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Maybe 10 PSI is a little low for my stock non-beadlock rims :eek:

In a dozen years of wheeling I have seen two popped beads. One was mine after diving into the Fremont River.

The other was Ben on Old Chinaman's....

Air Randy
11-08-2010, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=RockRunner;166925]
My new axles I will be getting next week. I went online last night just to see what was new and found these for sale...................lucky me:eek:QUOTE]

Hey, give Perry a killer deal on your old axles so we can do an SAS on his rig and get him back on the road.

rover67
11-08-2010, 05:16 PM
My new axles I will be getting next week. I went online last night just to see what was new and found these for sale...................lucky me:eek:QUOTE]

Hey, give Perry a killer deal on your old axles so we can do an SAS on his rig and get him back on the road.

Yeah!!

Nay
11-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Steering was all messed up and continued to turn right on top of the rock to the left of the picture. It is a sharp right with a tilt to the left and yes the Habenero was tired or was that me:rolleyes:

You know, I took a hard cut into that turn and found myself with steering that was held hard to the right and would not even come back to center - all the weight on the front. I had to use the hand throttle in reverse to even hold it, and then a lot of pedal to get it to back off enough to get the steering straightened. I figure another 12-18" in that direction and I would have easily flopped.

Given your front end condition, if you were on the same line, no surprise. I think I probably bent my sector shaft trying to straighten it back out as my steering wheel is cocked a bit despite tracking perfectly straight. Good thing I have that core steering box, rebuild kit, and 105 series sector shaft ready to go :cool:

RockRunner
11-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Tom, is that rear drilled for Supra calipers, or something else?

Mark

You can use either one. I can get the FROR set up or the Supra set up so you have an E brake...........kinda nice. Why is there a better way?

RockRunner
11-08-2010, 08:49 PM

I will need some parts of it but that is an option if Perry is interested.

ScaldedDog
11-08-2010, 11:49 PM
You can use either one. I can get the FROR set up or the Supra set up so you have an E brake...........kinda nice. Why is there a better way?

Not that I know of. I used the Supra calipers, and the e-brake works well enough to pass CM tech. :D They are getting kind of rare, though.

Mark

RockRunner
11-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Bummer but good to know. I am going to start a thread in the tech section for advice etc. Should make for some good humored arguments.

rhyary
11-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Hi Tom,
Sorry I couldn't be there for you this time. :-)

RockRunner
12-20-2010, 01:17 PM
No worries there is always someone to help me after I do something stupid