PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 2F Starter

rover67
11-08-2010, 09:34 AM
OK, so the 40 starts ridiculously slowly now that it has gotten colder. I have a nice battery, pimpin' cables, and everything is grounded nicely so it leads me to my starter.

I have the non gear reduction type and was just going to throw in a new ear reduction starter from a 60.

question is, are the NAPA reman ones Ok or should I do a nicer OEM one from coolcruisers or something?

The reman one from napa is 100 bucks.

subzali
11-08-2010, 09:37 AM
I always thought the NAPA electronic stuff was pretty good, but since you're kinda doing a restoration sorta thingy, well...

SteveH
11-08-2010, 09:42 AM
My '87 FJ60 had 5 'reman' gear reduction starters from NAPA over 2.5 years - all sounded like they had sand in them (literally) when cranking, and all failed for one reason or another. At the time, they were $200 and NAPA finally gave me cash back and I bought a Toyota starter for $180 and it sounded vastly better and of course, held up just fine. Below 30F, the NAPA starters had problems, which precipitated all the returns/exchanges. NAPA has great customer service - just a lousy product here.

Unless NAPA has a different rebuilder, I wouldn't buy a starter from them.

rover67
11-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Well that seals it then. Just called Boulder Toyota and its $125. I should have called them in the first place! It'll be here tomorrow!

Thanks for the feedback guys!!!!