PDA

View Full Version : Self Cut Christmans Trees

drtdeer
11-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Who has gone up and cut their own trees? i.e. Red Feather Lakes or Fraser/Winter Park.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/christmas/primary-map-page-101910.html

Any feedback or reccomendations of other places?

MDH33
11-10-2010, 11:58 AM
South PLatte District is selling permits for Buffulo Creek down towards Deckers. I've cut there before and it's busy, but there are a lot of trees including doug fir. Clear Creek is selling limited permits for Pickle Gulch and Cub Creek, mostly Lodgepole.

subzali
11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Colorado Land Cruisers down in Colorado Springs has an event where they go up into the woods north of Divide/Woodland Park and help people who are cutting trees. Usually in the beginning of December.

Man Jerk
11-10-2010, 03:51 PM
1st 2 weekends in december Near woodland park. The colorado Land cruisers will be working with the forest service.

Nay
11-10-2010, 05:45 PM
1st 2 weekends in december Near woodland park. The colorado Land cruisers will be working with the forest service.

I take my family every year to cut up on Rampart Range - it is one of our favorite days of the year.

Mendocino
11-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Who has gone up and cut their own trees? i.e. Red Feather Lakes or Fraser/Winter Park.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/christmas/primary-map-page-101910.html

Any feedback or reccomendations of other places?

We have cut trees at both Red Feather Lakes and in Fraser. We have done Fraser the last two years. Both areas are good and the family has a good time. I look forward to doing this again this year. we generally do it the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Corbet
11-10-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm going, but to a location more local than previously mentioned venues:p:

Around here you pay your $7 and pick whatever kind of tree you want from any NFS land. This year maybe we'll have a X-mas aspen tree:lmao:

farnhamstj
11-11-2010, 10:19 AM
We get a permit from the Minturn US Forest station every year. I think it's up to $10 here. Then head out near Camp Hale. We end up with a Charlie Brown looking twig of a tree but it's more about the memories of going into the woods to cut a tree down with the kids than anything else.

drtdeer
11-11-2010, 12:44 PM
We have cut trees at both Red Feather Lakes and in Fraser. We have done Fraser the last two years. Both areas are good and the family has a good time. I look forward to doing this again this year. we generally do it the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Any firs or jsut pines?

nakman
11-11-2010, 02:08 PM
Helping out the CLC down by Woodland Park is a good time, I did it last year and it was pretty fun. It's a long way to drive for a tree though.. but you get to meet Smokey the Bear and help out another club. There are firs and pines though, whatever you want.