PDA

View Full Version : New York connection?

Uncle Ben
11-14-2010, 01:27 PM
A friend of ours from OZ is coming up for her first US visit. She and my oldest decided they were going to NYNY for the ball drop on New Years. Plane tix have been bought. Now the silly girls realize they need a place to stay.... :rolleyes: Anybody have any connections in NY? Crappy hotels are over $400 a night! I know....I know.....I tried to tell them but I'm just a dad...what do I know? Now I'm trying to keep them safe and help them out....anyone? TIA!

DaveInDenver
11-14-2010, 01:45 PM
We were in NY after Xmas until 12/30 a year or two ago. The place we stayed was in Queens (it was for a wedding near) and was cheap for NYC. It was a Howard Johnson, and I want to say around $125/night. It was about a block from a MTA station so that you can take the LIRR into Penn Station. From there you can get the subway (which I don't recommend at first unless you have a New Yorker with you, things move FAST! on the subway), cabs, etc. I would be very aware of bed bugs now, though. This place was not exactly the Waldorf. But a couple of years at least, it was clean and offered free off street parking.

http://www.hojo.com/HowardJohnson/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=13010

DanS
11-15-2010, 01:15 AM
I would be very aware of bed bugs now, though. This place was not exactly the Waldorf. But a couple of years at least, it was clean and offered free off street parking.

Bed bugs are an issue without exception nowadays in that part of the country. I've found bed bugs in our nicest hotels, and our worst. Scary little guys. I won't set my bags on a hotel bed--ever. And the first thing I do in a hotel room is a bed bug check. No way I want to bring those guys home, I highly doubt Kate would appreciate it.

Here are the places our LGA commuters stay:

Comfort Inn Flushing 133-43 37th Ave. Flushing NY 718-939-5000 (Choice Hotels main reservation number: 800-424-6423)
Comfort Inn Maspeth 60-30 Maurice Ave. Maspeth NY 11378 718-457-5555 (Choice Hotels main reservation number: 800-424-6423)
The LGA Clarion is also a Choice Hotel (718-335-1200) but it is usually much more expensive due to its proximity to the airport (walkable and shuttle)
LGA Pan American (718-446-7676)--this one has a note next to it: "rumored skanky" whatever that means
LGA Airway (718-565-5100)--also has the "rumored skanky" note

I know from LGA that it's a short train ride to downtown, if that helps. These hotels are all used by cheap guys who are looking for a nights sleep, but not much more than a shuttle to and from the airport early in the morning or late at night.

Good luck!

Dan

RedCreeper
11-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Not sure if you looked but what about B&B's.

RockRunner
11-15-2010, 08:07 PM
What about Rami? Not sure how close he is but I am sure he could point you in the right direction.

Shark Bait
11-15-2010, 09:43 PM
How many nights will they be there? They were planning on staying downtown?

Uncle Ben
11-15-2010, 10:17 PM
How many nights will they be there? They were planning on staying downtown?

30th through the 2nd. It sounds like my daughter might have scored a town home in Times Square of a work mates family member.....I'll know more soon. Thank you much everyone!