PDA

View Full Version : christmas tree trip?

Beater
11-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Ok, I know this was brought up in another thread, but I would like to gauge interest in getting a group together to fetch some trees. I have NEVER done this here in colorado (only lived hear 21yrs) and would like to learn some options.

I can't do to much as I only have chains for my rear tires and they're bfg at's as well.

I know there is the CLC trip, but what other options are there? Please post up event's or the idea to co-ordinate our own run. From their website http://forum.ih8mud.com/co-colorado-land-cruisers/424967-christmas-tree-cutting-2010-a.html

It's not quite what I was looking for, I was looking for a RS type thing where it's about the family and trees, not a work day. Discuss.

RedCreeper
11-17-2010, 10:14 AM
I know my family would love to do something like this. Im interested to see what is out there for this.

Red_Chili
11-17-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm planning a trip to King Soopers to get one. Hard to beat the value proposition! :lmao:
Then again it's just me these days.

MDH33
11-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Make sure you're doing it somewhere legal. Also, permits go fast, so call the district you're interested in going to.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/christmas/

The CLC thing is cool because it's actually in a 4wd area. Most of the others aren't far off the pavement.

Also, the areas on my district are Cub Creek and Pickle Gulch, which I noticed aren't included on the website. However, you can still get permits for these areas at the Idaho Springs Ranger station. Pickle Gulch has some wheeling nearby, so that might be a good spot if you all decide to get something going as a group.

I'll be working the Christmas tree sale areas on the Arapahoe Roosevelt every weekend from Thanksgiving until the weekend before Christmas.

In the past, I've gone with friends to the area down by Buffulo Creek. It's easy 2wd dirt roads with several nice areas to pull a group over, have a campfire, drink a hot drink and find trees. Sledding for the kids too.

:beer:

Beater
11-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Thanks Martin,
I was hoping you would pipe in. Could you give more details around the buffalo creek area that you did in the past? What district would that be?

Make sure you're doing it somewhere legal. Also, permits go fast, so call the district you're interested in going to.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/recreation/christmas/

I'll be working the Christmas tree sale areas on the Arapahoe Roosevelt every weekend from Thanksgiving until the weekend before Christmas.

In the past, I've gone with friends to the area down by Buffulo Creek. It's easy 2wd dirt roads with several nice areas to pull a group over, have a campfire, drink a hot drink and find trees. Sledding for the kids too.

MDH33
11-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks Martin,
I was hoping you would pipe in. Could you give more details around the buffalo creek area that you did in the past? What district would that be?

No problem John. I wish I could go, but like I said, I'll be working and I already have permits to cut in Cub Creek, which is right down the street from where I live.

Buffalo Creek is in the South Platte District. Their station is on 285 just before Conifer. To get to the cutting area, take 126 South from Pine Junction (285 before Bailey) towards Deckers. Once you're down in the Hayman burn area beyond the town of Pine, you'll climb a loooong hill and there's a fire station at the top. A short distance past that there is a road and trailhead on the right. That's where the cutting area is. You can travel down that dirt road a long way and there are pullouts along it.

timmbuck2
11-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Count me in of we can do a friday or weekend trip, would love to take the kiddos, especially if it is not too far. Loved going down to help out down near the Springs in the past, but way too far for the kids. Hey John, I would have the 80 so I could just tow you through the snow. :)

Nay
11-17-2010, 04:28 PM
The Rampart Range area is just fantastic (where the CLC event is). If you spend the time to drive out past the main crowds, you get to some really beautiful areas and the road out from Rampart Range to Rainbow Falls (picking up 67) is somewhat technical with snow/ice and has some really great Colorado blue spruce that aren't picked over by the crowds.

We've done this for 8 or 9 years straight, and for a family day it is hard to beat. I know my kids will remember our christmas tree cutting days for the rest of their lives.

If there is interest, I can talk to :Princess: about a group day as I know the area very well in terms of tree cutting. We will go on Saturday the 3rd this year, and we always get two trees. I typically just get permits onsite and have never had an issue.

I wonder if there will be much snow if hardly any at all, though, because we haven't had squat for accumulation and it doesn't look good for a decent storm next week either. It's probably not worth the trip from Denver if there isn't at least some snow on the more remote trails.

Beater
11-17-2010, 05:27 PM
um, this year saturday is the 4th?

sounds great nay -

any interest in this fellow members?

RedCreeper
11-17-2010, 05:37 PM
I may be. Let me talk to the family and see what they think. How tuff are the trails? Me tread is getting low and will need tires by summer.

timmbuck2
11-17-2010, 05:53 PM
hmm...how far is the drive from Denver?

RedCreeper
11-17-2010, 06:50 PM
Any chance for the 5th? Looks like we have something happening on the 4th.

Beater
11-17-2010, 09:33 PM
@ tim - about 1.5 from my place I think, maybe 2.

Mendocino
11-17-2010, 09:41 PM
I will take my family to Winter Park/Fraser the Friday after Thanksgiving. All are welcome. We have done this a few times.

Air Randy
11-17-2010, 11:45 PM
The Rampart Range area is just fantastic (where the CLC event is). If you spend the time to drive out past the main crowds, you get to some really beautiful areas and the road out from Rampart Range to Rainbow Falls (picking up 67) is somewhat technical with snow/ice and has some really great Colorado blue spruce that aren't picked over by the crowds.

We've done this for 8 or 9 years straight, and for a family day it is hard to beat. I know my kids will remember our christmas tree cutting days for the rest of their lives.

If there is interest, I can talk to :Princess: about a group day as I know the area very well in terms of tree cutting. We will go on Saturday the 3rd this year, and we always get two trees. I typically just get permits onsite and have never had an issue.

I wonder if there will be much snow if hardly any at all, though, because we haven't had squat for accumulation and it doesn't look good for a decent storm next week either. It's probably not worth the trip from Denver if there isn't at least some snow on the more remote trails.
Dee and I might go just to get outside, we can be arecovery rig if conditions are rough.

Nay
11-20-2010, 06:55 PM
I meant the weekend of the 4th in my original post.

Here is a link to a map of the cutting area. You can get into the area via Mt. Herman Road from Monument, but you have to get your permit in Woodland Park if you don't already have one from the Forest Service.

The FS 323/24 loop is one of our favorites, and 351 out to Rainbow Falls/Rt. 67. Both of these areas have sizable sections that will hold what snow has fallen due to shaded areas/North slopes.

We tend to wander and hunt for the perfect tree, both in the truck and on foot. We haven't gone out 351 in a few years because :Princess: has been less comfortable with the technical aspects...

To give an idea of scale, it typically takes about 30 minutes to drive out to 351, depending on road conditions.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5208810.pdf

Sleepy
11-26-2010, 05:27 PM
I told my wife about this and she is all on-board as well. We usually do not put up a real tree, but she was talking about one this year and I told here about this trip.
So count us in :-) I really need to know what the trail is like since I have two vehicles that could carry a tree. One very off-road oriented and one a regular 4wd truck with street tires.

Thanks,

Barry

Mendocino
11-26-2010, 07:30 PM
We went to Fraser today to get tree and then went tubing. I was really happy to hear that there are now two tubing hills in Fraser and you don't have to wait three hours to tube (because you bribed your ten-year-olds with tubing).

Good times; the 100 is great!

JadeRunner
11-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Where exactly are those tubing hills? I know the area and will be up there Sunday with the family getting a tree. I also have no desire to do the busy pay tubing hills again.

We went to Fraser today to get tree and then went tubing. I was really happy to hear that there are now two tubing hills in Fraser and you don't have to wait three hours to tube (because you bribed your ten-year-olds with tubing).

Good times; the 100 is great!

Sleepy
12-03-2010, 12:13 PM
So has the actual location, date, and time been determined? I've seen multiple locations mentioned in this thread. Do we need to get the permit somewhere/sometime preceding the trip? I've seen both mentioned as well.

Nay
12-04-2010, 10:57 AM
The last couple of weeks have been insane for me with a thanksgiving trip back east and work this week. I haven't had a chance to plan anything group-wise, but we need to get our tree today before a holiday party next weekend...so....

....we are heading up to the Rampart Range area in about an hour and will be picking up permits at the Woodland Park Middle School and then heading up 67 to the Rainbow Falls entrance to come in the back way to the cutting area.

Obviously short notice, but holler if you are up that way and see Guacamole with a couple of trees on top :cheers: