PDA

View Full Version : Pawnee Grasslands

Inukshuk
11-19-2010, 02:52 PM
Thinking about a Pawnee Grasslands day trip. Maybe even tomorrow 11/20/10. Any suggestions on which parts. Any fun roads? Anyone interested in coming along?

Hudo4
11-19-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm no help but I'm interested in how the run goes.

treerootCO
11-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Pick up the MVUM prior to Saturday. We went wheeling up there a few weekends ago and the FS office was closed. Keep in mind that the green movement destroyed the Pawnee National Grasslands. The entire area is blanketed with wind turbines. I would say the Eastern section is more remote and more worthy of exploring but they surrounded the buttes with access roads for the turbines. The signage is great but all roads are now for 'admin use only' and closed to you and I.

Here is a before pic that I took a few years ago:

Mendocino
11-20-2010, 09:54 AM
I go out there pretty frequently for long range shooting, generally a bit east of Ault. This is not too far out. I have done some other driving out there but not really far east, I would be up for checking it out as long as I could bring a rifle and some steel.:thumb:

Tch2fly
11-20-2010, 10:37 AM
I go out there pretty frequently for long range shooting, generally a bit east of Ault. This is not too far out. I have done some other driving out there but not really far east, I would be up for checking it out as long as I could bring a rifle and some steel.:thumb:

I'd be up for that :D

Inukshuk
11-21-2010, 12:15 AM
Ok, we'll do some planning and schedule this. Could be a good winter trip.

Inukshuk
01-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Thinking about a run out there Sunday AM to check it out. Leave early, back for kickoff.
Put some miles on the motor.
Forecast is sunny and 50's.

Dmitry
01-30-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm in. And - for the record - it was my idea! :-)

Bringing a rifle for some long-range banging if its not too windy.

Inukshuk
02-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Made it today. Found a nice campsite. Lets go back.

MtnAddict
02-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Were most of the roads closed off like treeroot said?

Inukshuk
02-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Were most of the roads closed off like treeroot said?

We were not there long enough to get under the turbines. Did see a few tracks closed.

GPS track of our trip is attached.

corsair23
02-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Are the turbines in the national grassland area itself or on private/state land?

I'm just curious if they let the turbines be built on the national grasslands because that would seem to by a bit hypocritical...Of course they don't have to be on the land to ruin the views from the land...

Uncle Ben
02-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Are the turbines in the national grassland area itself or on private/state land?

I'm just curious if they let the turbines be built on the national grasslands because that would seem to by a bit hypocritical...Of course they don't have to be on the land to ruin the views from the land...

They are on the monument. Here's a good pic with the generators in the background almost invisible......NOT!

http://stillstonevisions.com/2009/IMG_1386.jpg

Snowrun
02-06-2012, 03:28 PM
They are on the monument. Here's a good pic with the generators in the background almost invisible......NOT!

http://stillstonevisions.com/2009/IMG_1386.jpg
Good to see that the windmills are so well blended in. It always makes me happy to see how well green energy blends into the environment.
Looks just like it did back before the pioneers came out west.....
In regards to Treeroots comments when you get to the east side of the grassland there are tons of short access roads that just go out a few hundred yards to the windmills.

corsair23
02-06-2012, 03:57 PM

Wow, that is amazing...

Someone needs to do an "incident" report on those on CTP :rolleyes:

I've never been to the area so I know nothing about it but I'm truly surprised that anyone was given the "ok" to build those suckers there...I mean, I would never expect to see a wind farm pop up inside the boundaries of a national forest for instance so why here :confused:

Dmitry
02-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Pawnee is a pretty peaceful place, but the wind generators are a huge eyesore. We saw at least a hundred of them, stretching for several miles!

BlackBetty
02-15-2012, 11:29 AM
im in

60wag
02-15-2012, 01:43 PM
So much hate for the wind turbines? If they were gas wells would it be any better?

Snowrun
02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
So much hate for the wind turbines? If they were gas wells would it be any better? They are out there too.:)
It is just sad to see one of the last pieces of short grass prairie in Colorado marred with turbines,wells, fences etc..

Uncle Ben
02-15-2012, 03:07 PM
They are out there too.:)
It is just sad to see one of the last pieces of short grass prairie in Colorado marred with turbines,wells, fences etc..

I don't understand....it looks so natural! It is a national monument....no one is allowed to change it from it's natural state!

Jenny Cruiser
02-15-2012, 04:42 PM
My great granddad's family had a homestead out there. My granddad was born in a little house about a half mile south of the east butte. Nothing left but some crumbling concrete now. I remember as a kid all you heard at night were the coyotes. As a teenager you still heard them and the putt,putt of the wells. We used to have a horse trough full of stone bowls and misc. things people picked up over the years. If you know where to look you can still find arrowheads and other indian stuff. Sad to see the turbins up there, but they'll be gone too one day. We still have the grass airstrip off HWY 14 25 miles to the south. It's fun to fly over that area in an ultralight and put down for a quick look see/lunch.

wesintl
02-17-2012, 08:39 AM
http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/blogs/japanese-breakthrough-will-make-wind-power-cheaper-than-nuclea

Inukshuk
11-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Day trip to Pawnee grasslands Saturday. Leave Denver around 8AM I think. Hit the OHV area and hike the Pawnee Buttes, with a leisurely lunch at some point. There will be a time for some target plinking.

All day, pretty laid back. The roads are all easy dirt. The OHV open travel area is whatever you want to make of it. We'll just play a little.

PM, Email or call me. Saturday I'll leave the HAM on 146.460