PDA

View Full Version : FJ60 8900/8800 location?? pics??

CardinalFJ60
11-19-2010, 03:26 PM
So...since I got that fancy radio, I guess I should install it. I already have a CB in the cubby beneath the radio, so that spot is taken. Any other ideas? Pics?

here are my ideas in order of preference.
1. bolted to the front of the tuffy (where i have the 2800 mounted now)
2. under the dash below the HVAC controls (left of the shifter)
3. >??????<

I like the Tuffy spot:
- because it's easy to reach the buttons without reaching.
- speaker is right there

Don't like the tuffy spot:
- because it's a tight fit - could hit my elbow, could spill coffee, etc

I like the under the dash:
- because it could be easier to see/monitor.
- somewhat hidden.

I don't like the under the dash:
- because it's kind of reach to change things. (oooo....mic controls, forgot that)

What say you guys with FJ60s?? I could be off base on my likes/dislikes.

corsair23
11-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Two thoughts...

You know the face plate is remote moutable, right?

Mount that in an easy to access, easy to view location as you mic gets plugged into it as well

Mount the base rig somewhere protected and, if you don't use an external speaker, in a location from which you can hear the speaker :)

Or, mount it all together in one location of course...Sorry, no good ideas on where to locate the radio in a 60 series though...

CardinalFJ60
11-19-2010, 03:52 PM
yeah - I'm down with putting the main unit under the tuffy/mounted to it, and placing the faceplate somewhere. I'm going between easier to reach vs. easier to glance at. the two spots I'm thinking of may not differ much in those ways, the more I think about it.

Jacket
11-19-2010, 04:06 PM
I don't have a 60, but in both my cases with a 7800/7900, I opted to mount the faceplate up high near the rear view mirror. People seem to either love it or hate it up there, but I really like the fact that it reduces the clutter around the dash controls, is out of harms way, but is still easily visible.

CardinalFJ60
11-19-2010, 04:11 PM
oooo...another good idea...I hadn't thought above the 'beltline' of the vehicle.

nakman
11-19-2010, 04:14 PM
I'd vote to leave the faceplate attached and put the whole thing on the Tuffy where the 2800 is now. The knobs are really sensitive, and it's nice to be able to rest your wrist on something prior to turning one, you have a lot more control particularly when the truck is moving. This is the main reason I'm in the "hate it" camp of the up by the rear view mirror spot.. I just can't hold my hand that still with my arm extended.

I recently moved my faceplate in the 100 from under the ashtray to behind the t-case shifter for this reason.. while driving my hand kept bouncing around and I'd miss the squelch and hit volume, or crank it when I only wanted to turn it up a little, etc. Much better now that I can put my hand on the shifter and make fine adjustments with just my fingers. And this is an IFS rig, which is 2 better on the smoothness scale from leafs right?

Then for that odd time you want to store it securely, just unscrew the whole thing and toss it inside the Tuffy, wouldn't take that much longer than disconnecting the remote mounted faceplate since all your wiring is quick disconnect.

CardinalFJ60
11-19-2010, 04:18 PM
I like your thinking. It is very convenient having everything right there and even in the short time I've used the 2800, I've learned where most of the buttons are by feel.

I think that's the location...and as a unit it is smaller than the 2800. it could work quite well. the remote faceplate is slick, for sure. I hope to have some time to put it in this weekend. hmmm...remote or unit as a whole...:)

HAH! IFS is like a factor of 4 in additional smoothness. ;-)

CardinalFJ60
11-21-2010, 10:20 AM
So...is there a trick to separating the face from the base unit? maybe it's just real tight. I'm pressing that little unlock button thing and it won't budge and don't want to force it or pry it.

Should it just slide off? am I missing something here?

60wag
11-21-2010, 02:01 PM
I put the the detached face plate in the stock tape deck location. The radio was mounted under the consol.

nakman
11-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Shawn it should slide to the left once you have that thing depressed.. you get it?

CardinalFJ60
11-21-2010, 03:55 PM
wow. I feel dumb. thanks for the tip.

bh4rnnr
11-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Pics of the install:confused::D:beer:

CardinalFJ60
11-22-2010, 11:56 AM
so...didn't get as far along as I wanted (got to do some 'racing' with my 4 year old :thumb:)...but over the next couple of nights I should get it all together. I'll post up when done.

CardinalFJ60
11-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Here's a couple pics - just need to mount the antenna.

RockRunner
11-23-2010, 09:39 PM
As much as that looks great it is one of the worst places to work the unit. I have it mounted in a similar way in my Dodge and I have to take my eyes of the road to much. Also with the glare of the sun it makes it hard to read at times and it collects a ton of dust on the screen.

I don't mean to knock your install but get to know your radio and its buttons real well. I am going to remount mine so that I can read the unit head on and keep my eyes on the road. BTW very nice radio, I looked at it before I bought mine but decided to go with the 8800.

CardinalFJ60
11-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I did notice with the loaner 2m in that spot there was some glare. Luckily, the faceplate can be removed with two small bolts. I'll run it for a bit and see how it goes. Thanks for the heads up - I've only driven it at night so far. :D

wesintl
11-24-2010, 10:43 AM
I have it in that spot on my 70. It's really not a problem and i hardly ever look down at it. program your radio and gt to know the mic functions :)

84cruzer
12-27-2010, 10:43 AM
Shawn what antenna did you get?

CardinalFJ60
12-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I have the quad band Diamond antenna for the 8900r. it's OK, but for off-highway applications, I'm looking into getting a smaller, more flexible dual band antenna and a triplexer so I can add a dediated 6m or 10m antenna someday.

I think I'm going to sneak to HRO in Denver today to learn more about the best antenna(s) for our application. At this point, I really only need dual band (really just 2M) - but still growing into this hobby.