PDA

View Full Version : Park ranger in critical condition after Utah shooting (Moab)

Inukshuk
11-20-2010, 04:49 PM
"(CNN) -- A search is under way for a shooter who critically wounded a park ranger in Utah, authorities said early Saturday.

The ranger was shot multiple times Friday night when he was on patrol on the Poison Spider trail area near the city of Moab, according to the Grand County Sheriff's Department.

The shooting occurred after the man confronted the ranger in the parking lot, according to CNN affiliate KSL.

He shot the ranger three times: once in the arm, leg and abdomen, according to the affiliate.

The ranger was airlifted to hospital, where he was conscious and talking to officers, the affiliate said.

SWAT officers joined law enforcement agencies in the search.

Authorities have found a silver car believed to be the shooter's."

"Family of park ranger 'stunned' he was involved in shooting"
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700083885/Family-of-park-ranger-stunned-he-was-involved-in-shooting.html

Bikeman
11-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Wow. I'm leaving in 1 hour for Moab. Better hide the beverages and plan for a checkpoint. Hope they find the SOB.

Hope the Ranger recovers fully.

Woodsman
11-20-2010, 06:09 PM
It will be interesting to find out what happened ? Did this guy have a beef with the ranger for some reason or was he just looking for a fight ?

Another report says they found a bloody shirt which they think belongs to the shooter - - - >

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50717113-76/moab-nyland-state-ranger.html.csp

MDH33
11-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Latest news report says they found the shooters rifle, backpack and bloody shirt. Sounds like the ranger may have hit him while exchanging fire. Hope they track this guy down.

cbmontgo
11-21-2010, 11:27 AM
What a shame.

Bikeman
11-23-2010, 07:02 PM
Just got back from Moab.

Everything's closed west of town, along the river; Moab Rim, Amassa Back, Poison Spider, etc.

There were authorities and news crews everywhere, including SWAT vehicles, tactical vehicles, helocopters, ATV's, UTV's, and all kinds of them staying at our motel.

Last I heard they were confident they would find the guy today, searching caves.

RockRunner
11-23-2010, 09:20 PM
Strange things happen. The guy used an assault riffle to try and kill the ranger. Wonder why he left all his stuff behind? Maybe he thought he could move faster with less weight to carry.

Most likely he is dead already and will be used for traction during the Jeep Easter safari and CM.

Red_Chili
11-24-2010, 05:47 PM
... The guy used an assault riffle to try and kill the ranger. ...
Thank goodness he just used a small rifle like that, and not a hunting rifle. Best wishes for the ranger.

LARGEONE
12-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Did they ever find this guy?

Why didn't they just put a bounty out for him and open up the trails to all of us rednecks with guns?! I might have made a MOAB trip just to kick this guy's A$&!!!

Myredyota
12-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Sounds like he is still out there. Hopefully he bled out.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50808452-76/family-concert-friends-benefit.html.csp

timmbuck2
12-05-2010, 03:47 PM
"Those wishing to donate, who are unable to attend the concert, may make monetary donations through the Wells Fargo Brody Young Benefit fund at rangerbrody.org."

I just donated, maybe the club could donate a little? Or fellow CM committee members, could we shoot a few bucks that way?

corsair23
12-06-2010, 02:39 AM
I just donated, maybe the club could donate a little? Or fellow CM committee members, could we shoot a few bucks that way?

This was briefly discussed at the the December meeting. CM funds are traditionally only used for land use related activities/causes. Doesn't mean that cannot be modified of course. Additionally, someone could certainly make a motion at the next meeting for the club to donate some $$ to the fund like we did recently for John's daughter Olivia.

RockRunner
12-06-2010, 09:04 AM
IF the philanthropic committee doesn't include him I plan to make a motion to donate $1000 to his fund. We can discuss it and vote on it.

MDH33
12-06-2010, 09:33 AM
I thought that government employees/law enforcement officials cannot accept donations? Being a "ranger" myself, I know I have been advised to not accept anything (even food) while patrolling. This situation would be different if he had been killed and the donations were to help support his family, but the reality is that he was injured on the job (a government job) and there is little doubt he is being well taken care of. I personally do not feel it is appropriate for our club to donate.

:twocents: