View Full Version : Dawn Patrollers

Corbet
11-22-2010, 08:41 AM
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7661505/

For you skiers out there.

Man Jerk
11-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Good stuff.

On a related note, does anyone have any experience with Alpine Trekkers? I'd like to do some AT this year but there is no way I have the cash to spring for a set of AT Bindings.

subzali
11-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Nice. That is funny :D

DaveInDenver
11-22-2010, 12:41 PM
It's funny 'cause it's true! We do our night skiing after work...

On a related note, does anyone have any experience with Alpine Trekkers? I'd like to do some AT this year but there is no way I have the cash to spring for a set of AT Bindings.

Alpine Trekker, no personal experience but a couple of demos by buddies. They say they do work as advertised but are noticeably heavy. Alpine Trekkers seem ideal for someone trying to harvest sidecountry just beyond gates. Would beat the heck out of post holing for 2 hours.

I'd worry more about using your downhill boots for touring, that's tough on your feet and ripe with blister potential. For me it might be hard to spend $180 on them since you can get into an entry Fritschi at about $400 brand new. But if it meant the savings would be put towards lighter randonee boots with a tour-friendlier fit and flex, then I could easily see the logic.

Corbet
11-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Save the money on trekkers and demo proper AT gear when your going. You'll never be happy with trekkers if you've used the real deal.

Find some used gear?

Personally as far as AT gear I've got a set of early Fritschi's that I hate and a set of Marker Dukes I love except the remove to tour thing :rolleyes: But at least they stay on my feet in a turn. I need to upgrade my boots soon. Still in Scarba Denali's that are just not enough boot now that I've got the Duke's.

wesintl
11-22-2010, 08:14 PM
I don't ski at ski areas unless they are closed. I dawn patrol them too.. lol

farnhamstj
11-23-2010, 08:37 AM
I have a set of A-trekkers. Better than nothing, but not by much. You;re welcome to borrow them and try them out. PM me and I could send them to you. I don't really need them, but not ready to sell them yet.

Randonee- Fench for "can't tele"

Man Jerk
11-23-2010, 08:48 AM
I have a set of A-trekkers. Better than nothing, but not by much. You;re welcome to borrow them and try them out. PM me and I could send them to you. I don't really need them, but not ready to sell them yet.

I may take you up on that. Won't be for a bit but I'll let you know.

coax
11-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Most of my time is spent on tele's, but I do have a set of Freerides. I would think for the price of the trekkers plus a few more bucks, you could find a used set of an AT binding of your choice. I've skied my Freerides with my old downhill specific boots before getting some scarpas. Heavy, but it works.

I bet there are some local-ish ski swaps happening too, sometimes a good place to find gear. Or mountaingear/backcountry/sierratradingpost have good deals now and then.

Man Jerk
11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Dukes are on my wish list. I would love to have a dedicated AT rig but that's just not gonna happen for a while.

Not that I have the time to dedicate to touring anyway, but a guy can dream.

Seldom Seen
11-24-2010, 05:00 PM

Telemark, Norwegian for old, slow, granola munching hippy.

Check Boulder Sports Recyclers, they always have a few sets of 'Trekkers for sale.

Man Jerk
11-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Just saw this. Looks like a pretty decent option if it comes to fruition

http://www.ispo-brandnew.com/en/CompanyPortrait.aspx?ID=1933

powderpig
12-01-2010, 08:07 AM
I guess only Norwegian's(or their decendants) can then make it look fast and graceful, and non Norwegians(or their decentants) are the knuckle dragging pin heads.

Tele equipment is getting so much better, it is not that much slower any more or any less control.
It just takes more effort to learn to ride the long curve.

The dawn Patrol thing is a bit scary if that does happen(where they play in control area's where bomb's are going off to control the snow). What a dumb person, no respect for what is happening. Needs to be taken out of the gene pool on a long ride with the snow.
Cool binding. I do remember playing with several friends in Alaska, where the AT boots sucked in the 80's. They used the AT binding and did tons of Vertical with Resort boots. It just took getting use to the boot and having the boot fitted well. Not my choice, but worked well for them.

subzali
12-01-2010, 08:20 AM
I guess only Norwegian's(or their decendants) can then make it look fast and graceful, and non Norwegians(or their decentants) are the knuckle dragging pin heads.

Yes! That means I got a chance to be good at it! That and my uncle taught me well...:bowdown:

Corbet
12-01-2010, 02:27 PM
The dawn Patrol thing is a bit scary if that does happen(where they play in control area's where bomb's are going off to control the snow). What a dumb person, no respect for what is happening.

It satire but true. There are many high risk lines visible form the Alta and Snowbird area that get skied for glory. Now in the early morning. The whole Utah Powder Bird thing is another story. BC skiers have been bitching about that forever. I guess it would suck to be out touring up some nice aspect only to see the heli drop out a hand full of beaters to ski the lines you intended to for the last couple of hours.

I used to always "dawn patrol" Alta before they opened for the season. But not at dawn and only because I knew the terrain like the back of my hand. I didn't want to work that hard to get similar turns in the true BC. However I respected it as BC as avalanche work had not been done.