PDA

View Full Version : Quest for fuel injection

74fj40
11-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Well I am going to give TBI a try on my 1f. I have debated buying a 2f, putting a 3fe head on it and what not, but unfortunately I don't have the time nor the money to do that as of right now. I have seen many sucessful tbi retrofits so I am excited to give it a try. It is going to be a long slow build as time is limited and money is tight! This thread is to keep me motivated, so please tell me your thoughts!

I picked up an intake from steve that had an adapter plate tig welded to it already, with a throttle body, and an air filter. It looks as though the throttle body is a remand or maybe even brand new, but I am unsure.

Anyways, I took it all into work today and took it apart, then I sand blasted the intake, and then brought it home and painted it. Also put in a little extra paint on the TEQ logo :D

74fj40
11-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Here is the other pictures

subzali
11-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Looks spiffy. The multi-port injection of the 3FE is the bees knees, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Interested in seeing if this gives you the benefits of more power, better fuel economy etc.

I like you finishing touches on the TEQ symbol :grinpimp:

farnhamstj
11-25-2010, 11:04 AM
cool

74fj40
11-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanks guys! I found someone on pirate that is selling a brand new harness and computer preprogrammed for a 2f from affordablefuelinjection.com which I'm trying to pick up right now. that would be perfect and make this project easier!

frontrange
11-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Is that computer going to give you ignition control too or just fuel? I went with megasquirt mostly because it allowed me to use a Ford EDIS-6 ignition module to contol timing advance. I mounted the missing tooth wheel on my damper with an adapter turned on the lathe, then welded a V/R mount on the timing cover to finish it off. Seems to work very well just turning it with the starter.

The 3FE port fuel injection probably isn't really worth the amount of extra effort needed to get it together, head, TB, induction, cleaned and tested injectors, etc. But on the other hand, the long runners are amazing on this setup and I had to go this way once I saw it.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l116/scranage/port_injection001.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l116/scranage/port_injection002.jpg

BTW, that's a nice job you did on the TBI manifold. I probably would have bead blasted it and rebored the insides after welding it if I hadn't got distracted with the 3FE stuff first.

74fj40
11-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Steve- Thanks for the compliments. Ignition control would be controled by the ecm and ESC(Electronic spark control) either way I don't think I'll be using the electronic ignition control. I plan on using the factory toyota distributor and vacuum advanced. I will just use the ported vacuum line off of the throttle body. I will just have the ecm PROM Flashed to be used without it. I would like this system to be as simple as possible, and using an ESC will just make things more complicated.

rover67
11-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Looks like a fun project :) Manifold looks nice!

I was thinking of going this route with the 2f in my 60 a while ago. I think it'll be sweet hen you get it done. It'll run like a fuel injected truck!

frontrange
11-29-2010, 09:58 PM
It's your choice, but I think you're leaving a lot on the table by sticking with vacuum control of spark. There is IMO no better way to get the best combination of power/reliability/economy than full closed loop control of fuel & spark. But then you can always revisit the spark thing down the road after you get it running with just TBI control. Good luck with it, and keep us informed on your progress!

Steve- Thanks for the compliments. Ignition control would be controled by the ecm and ESC(Electronic spark control) either way I don't think I'll be using the electronic ignition control. I plan on using the factory toyota distributor and vacuum advanced. I will just use the ported vacuum line off of the throttle body. I will just have the ecm PROM Flashed to be used without it. I would like this system to be as simple as possible, and using an ESC will just make things more complicated.

74fj40
12-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Not much to update. Scored everything I need for this setup from someone on colo4x4.org computer, all sensors, harness etc. for a pretty good deal! but havent picked it up yet. also scored a new fuel pump, and inline fuel pressure gauge from my boss at work.

74fj40
03-26-2013, 07:28 AM
Well fast forward two years I finally have some time and a little bit of money! Got the thing running, but its super rich. I am thinking the o2 sensor is bad. Also worried that I mounted it too far down for it to heat upnto 650*

74fj40
03-26-2013, 07:42 AM
Turns out the throttle body wasnt remand or new. Just sand blasted :rolleyes: both injectors were toast, pressure diaphragm was totally collapsed and the spring was broken into several pieces. Not to mention the inside was filled with sand when I took it apart. That was a bummer.

frontrange
03-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Sorry to hear that. I bought that off of ebay for top $$ from a salvage yard that claimed it was removed from working vehicle and thoroughly cleaned. I guess sandblasting the damn thing without disassembly constitutes thoroughly cleaned...:rant:

subzali
03-26-2013, 03:54 PM
That sucks Max.

74fj40
03-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Oh well, such as life! The thing is running very nicely now.

farnhamstj
03-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Running very nicely? What did you end up doing?

74fj40
03-26-2013, 09:33 PM
I put in a new o2 sensor, and a new coolant temp sensor adapter that submerged the sensor in coolant. Before the sensor was too high up and not in the coolant enough. Ill post a video of it running later the week. Very excited to see how it performs! Still need to dial in the fuel pressure and timing.

74fj40
03-26-2013, 10:26 PM
Oh I guess i forgot to add that the harness and computer were custom built by affordable fuel injection. Or maybe it was fuel injection specialties. I dont remember I bought them second hand from someone on pirate.