PDA

View Full Version : To sipe or not to sipe, that is the question

RockRunner
11-25-2010, 01:57 PM
Just got some Toyo Mud Grapplers and they feel good but on take off you can really feel the knobs.

So I am wondering for those of you who have them, did you sipe them? I know the argument about lasting longer or shorter but I am more interested in traction.

So what you all think? Vote and we'll see what the outcome is.

FJBRADY
11-25-2010, 04:20 PM
I would sipe them for improved ice traction.

Red_Chili
11-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Wait until the first icy time of the year. See how they do. If they scare ya, sipe 'em. If not... I think you will avoid chunking easier without siping.

This is based on my experience with BFG MTs (old style). Scary as heck stock, on ice; siped, they were pretty good. The place over-siped them though, sliced in too many places IMHO. So there was some chunking over time.

Nay
11-26-2010, 09:04 AM
I know a guy who was running 39's in the Nitto MG, and he was surprised by how well they did in the snow.

I'd take Chili's advice and see what you think after a good snow.

RockRunner
11-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Sounds good, now I just need some ice to come around...........

TIMZTOY
11-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Who dose the siping ? I have one tire siped and the other 3 are not.

RockRunner
11-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Any good tire shop. Discount or performance do it.

RockRunner
11-26-2010, 02:54 PM
One thing I forgot to mention is that these are on the Dodge and will not see any dirt or rocks to chunk. I feel I will get better traction in the snow and ice just like mu other mud tires.

corsair23
11-26-2010, 04:57 PM
I siped my Toyo MTs and never looked back. The siping quited the tires down and helped with winter driving IMO. These are on the LX and I never had any chunking issues despite taking them off road (which you already stated your tires won't be going there...)

I did the same with my GY Wrangler MTs on the 40 and despite it rarely seeing the pavement let alone the trails, the tires have some chunking issues.

For an on the road tire, I'd sipe any big lug mud tire. I tried to get my Toyo's resiped but Discount said they can't sipe them once they get below a certain tread depth which for me is right about when the first round of sipes are disappearing...

Gerdo
11-26-2010, 08:11 PM
I sipe all of my tires. It makes a HUGE difference on snow and ice.. They do chunk a little more than If they weren't siped.

Rzeppa
11-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Sipe!

It will make a huge positive difference for any M/T style tire. A/T type tires already have siping molded in and don't need it.

FWIW I have had tires re-siped when they get just past the original depth of siping and had no complaint from the shop (Discount, which is where I buy all my tires). BFG M/Ts start our at a tread depth of about 0.6" and I think the siping is typically around .2 to .25".