PDA

View Full Version : Driving a new car after purchasing it

74fj40
12-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Does anyone know colorados laws on how long you can drive a recently purchased car without getting it registered or insured? I just bought it yesterday about 730pm, drove it home, drove it to work and back home. Meant to stop by the DMV today but didnt realize that the seller and I had forgotten to sign the back of the title... :doh:

Anyways I would like to drive it tomorrow but want to know if its legal or not? It has plates on it right now that are current from the previous owner? I've been told its up to 48 hours. but un sure.

Thanks, Max

gr8fulabe
12-01-2010, 08:36 PM
I don't know about the registration, but it has to be insured the minute you first drive it.

J Kimmel
12-01-2010, 10:25 PM
You can go to the DMV and get a 60 day temp tag if you don't have the title ready. It'll cost you 2 bucks IIRC. You could drive it around tomorrow if you want, but you will have to explain your way out if you get pulled over.
As far as insurance, if you currently have insurance, you are covered with the same coverages you already have. Can't remember if you're covered for 30 days if it is replacing a vehicle and 7 days if its a new policy, or the other way around :)

Corbet
12-01-2010, 11:44 PM
You need a temp tag the moment you drive away by law. Go get your $2 tag ASAP. You don't want to get caught on the PO's plates.

Most INS companies give you a 30 day grace period on a new purchase. Call them tomorrow and add the new vehicle. You'll need to prove INS for registration. Don't remember if you need to do so for the temp tag.

corsair23
12-02-2010, 03:55 AM
You need a temp tag the moment you drive away by law. Go get your $2 tag ASAP. You don't want to get caught on the PO's plates.

Not to disagree but I will :hill:

When I sold my Durango the guy was coming down from Ft Collins to pick it up on a Saturday. No DMV on Saturday...

The rules as I recall vary depending on when you purchase the vehicle. If you buy a vehicle at night or on the weekend then legally you can drive the vehicle using the title and bill of sale as your "registration" to get the vehicle home and then to the DMV (and to emissions testing unless the seller got it tested as they are required to do but rarely do). As I recall this "grace period" only lasted until the first available day that the DMV would be open. In Max's case that would have been the next day. Buy it on Saturday then you'd have until Monday.

Agreed though on the plates...The lady at the DMV was ADAMANT that I not leave my plates on the truck when I sold it for any reason.

Moot point now for Max as technically driving the vehicle would be illegal as of Wednesday morning other than for purposes of getting it tested and getting to the DMV.

EDIT: As I recall I couldn't find any of this information on the DMV website so I had to actually call to get the answer...

theboomboom
12-02-2010, 10:26 AM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the bill of sale will work temporarily, I just don't remember how long or where I read that...

FJBRADY
12-02-2010, 11:12 AM
I say drive it like you stole it......ooopsies sounds like you already are:eek:

What did you buy?

Air Randy
12-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Pasted below verbatim is the applicable section from Title 42, Article 3. The key part is you are only allowed to drive the vehicle from where you bought it to home even if you are in the 36 hour/weekend/holiday period. Also if you get stopped the officer could go ahead and write you a ticket if there is any question about why you are driving the vehicle. The info below would be an affirmative defense where you would have to go to court to show the judge a map of where you bought it, where you live and why where you were stopped is on your way home. But to be clear if you buy a vehicle on Saturday this does not allow you to drive it everywhere until you go to register it on Monday.

42-3-115. Registration upon transfer.

(1) Whenever the owner of a motor vehicle registered under this article transfers or assigns the owner's title or interest, the registration of such vehicle shall expire, and such owner shall remove the number plates. The owner, upon applying for registration in such owner's name during the same registration period of another motor vehicle, may receive credit upon the fees due for such new registration for such portion of the fees paid for the cancelled registration as the department may determine to be proper and proportionate to the unexpired part of the original term of registration. A transfer fee of one dollar shall be paid in all cases.

(2) (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection (2), the transferee, before operating or permitting the operation of a motor vehicle upon a highway, shall register the vehicle.

(b) A transferee may operate a motor vehicle on the highway before registering it if:

(I) The vehicle is exempt from registration pursuant to section 42-3-103 or 42-3-104; or (RR-This rarely applies to normal vehicles)

(II) The vehicle has been temporarily registered pursuant to section 42-3-203 (3); or

(III) (A) The transferee has purchased the motor vehicle within the last thirty-six hours from a person who is not a motor vehicle dealer under article 6 of title 12, C.R.S.;

(B) The vehicle was purchased either on a Saturday, on a Sunday, on a legal holiday, or between 5 p.m. and 8 a.m.;

(C) The vehicle is being driven from the place where the transferor stored the vehicle to the place where the transferee intends to store the vehicle;

(D) The owner possesses, in the vehicle, a bill of sale that shows the time and date of sale and that is signed by both the buyer and seller; and

(E) The owner possesses, in the vehicle, proof of insurance as required by section 42-4-1409.

simps80
12-02-2010, 12:48 PM
^

well, that pretty much answers that...
now we can move onto the next thing..

"show us what was bought!"

:)

DaveInDenver
12-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Re: Randy's citation, I got pulled over when I bought my truck years ago. Just offered the signed title to the cop and that was that.

I looked into it once, getting one preemptively while we were shopping for a car, and the Denver DMV wanted the title in hand to issue a temp tag. So the only reason I can see to buy one would be if you wanted to put off paying the sales tax for a while.

Air Randy
12-02-2010, 02:30 PM
Re: Randy's citation, I got pulled over when I bought my truck years ago. Just offered the signed title to the cop and that was that. Thats typical, it's left up to the officer.

I looked into it once, getting one preemptively while we were shopping for a car, and the Denver DMV wanted the title in hand to issue a temp tag. So the only reason I can see to buy one would be if you wanted to put off paying the sales tax for a while.

Thats true most of the time unless you live in an area that requires emissions testing. You can get the temp tag with the title and proof of insurance. That way you can drive the vehicle, get work done on it to pass emissions, then drive it to a testing station and back to DMV to get plates.

Corbet
12-02-2010, 02:44 PM
I knew Randy would correct me if need be.

74fj40
12-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Perfect! thanks for the info. also, I scored a 1997 honda civic all stock with a 5 speed for stupid cheap. its going to be my dd.