PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 Downey Lift Q

IVANII
12-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey all-

I just found a great deal on a used downey 4" lift off a 1974 FJ40. My 40 is a late model 1977. Is there any differences between these years that I need to be aware of that this kit wouldn't fit mine and/or modifications required?

Also with the 4" kit terraflex shackles and 33x10.5 tires will I need to do any other modifications to driveline other than perhaps extending the brakelines?

I have been drooling over the HFS kit but that is $$$$ and this may be a very nice alternative if it mates up ok.

Thanks alot for any input/advice!

MDH33
12-02-2010, 06:56 PM
With a 4" SUA lift, you'll need to add shims to correct the driveline angles and caster angle. I'm running the Downey lift on my '73 and I needed shims in front and back, longer brake lines, and longer than stock shackles. Also, the Downey springs were narrower than stock, so I needed to get creative with the bushings to make everything line up. I don't think the '77 should be any different, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Old40Dog
12-02-2010, 10:17 PM
With a 4" SUA lift, you'll need to add shims to correct the driveline angles and caster angle. I'm running the Downey lift on my '73 and I needed shims in front and back, longer brake lines, and longer than stock shackles. Also, the Downey springs were narrower than stock, so I needed to get creative with the bushings to make everything line up. I don't think the '77 should be any different, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

X2...Just remember that Downey is out-of-business, so you're on your own on figuring out any special adjustments (Like most any 40 project these days) that may be necessary. IMO, Downey made some great products, but fell victim to poor management and a down economy. RIP=Downey

Good luck IVANII! :beer:

IVANII
12-03-2010, 08:24 AM
thanks guys! I appreciate your wisdom...hopefully this all works out