PDA

View Full Version : engine ground to chassis - 80 series

Jacket
12-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Is there a separate ground wire from the block to the chassis on an 80? I replaced/upgraded the negative wire from the battery to the engine mount, but wondered if there was another/separate wire or strap from engine to frame?

AShoe
12-04-2010, 08:48 PM
There is one on the drivers side of the engine near the coil, and one on the transfer case.

Inukshuk
12-04-2010, 11:29 PM
And maybe one from the block to the firewall, pass side.

nakman
12-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Are you having issues? Or just regrounding for the sake of grounding? :confused:

powderpig
12-05-2010, 09:11 AM
there is two near the coil that go to the engine. one attaches to the lifting eye. another to the intake manifold, both small in nature. other grounds are the battery to engine, just above the engine mount. the small wire from the head to body(at back of head on passenger side). and then the ground for the engine wireing harness, tucked in between the brake booster and the intake manifold, a bear to reach.

Jacket
12-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the info. Must be that the location of the main ground on the engine block adjacent to the engine mount to the frame allows for current to pass freely from block->mount->frame and vice versa.

Are you having issues? Or just regrounding for the sake of grounding? :confused:

Not really any issues at the moment. The OEM battery terminals were a bit rough, so I replaced them with some military spec terminals and in the process upgraded the main ground wire all the way down to the block using some extra 2awg I had. While I'm in there I figure I'd take a look at the other 2 wires of the "big 3" before I add a winch, inverter, upgraded stereo, etc. and really start to challenge my electrical system.

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/Jacket/fzj80/battery.JPG