PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Doodle Lake work project

Red_Chili
05-25-2006, 09:35 AM
Tentative date [EDIT: now it is not tentative! It's real [/EDIT] is August 25th, 26th, and 27th for the Rising Sun 4x4 Club Post-n-Cable Party. I'd like to set up some kind of overnight, with camping, mebbe guitars and ***-Bay-Yah. Or, that failing, BBQ and suds.

You folks who had leads on skid steers, post hole diggers, and flatbed trailers for hauling up the posts, concrete, maybe a mixer and the cable, that would be the date as of today. Make arrangements, be there or be square!

This is a tremendous opportunity for Rising Sun to make a very visible difference in a high traffic area - and not many groups can do it as well as we can!

We'll talk more about it at the June meeting. For anyone interested, the Boulder Ranger District OHV Committee is meeting tonight (5/25) at 5PM, at the Ranger Station on Yarmouth (north side of Boulder on the main drag).

Red_Chili
05-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Oh... and why not a raffle too? Anyone with contacts in the industry, shake the tree...

wesintl
05-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Bill,
I think we need to do a different weekend. The 19th is the day before the Rally.

Hulk
05-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Yeah, we've been planning on having some runs the day before the Rally so that people who come in from out-of-town can make a weekend of it.

subzali
05-25-2006, 07:11 PM
What happened to July 30? That's what I have my calendar marked for...

Red_Chili
05-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Sorry, the date is determined by a lot of other things. I can look into it, but I'm not sure it's movable at this point... :( But I will ask.

We plan on going up Friday night the 18th, maybe doing some initial posthole digging, then the fur flies Saturday.

Rats. I blew it by not floating the date earlier, I do know July was a problem when we talked about it last meeting due to the ghost town run in close proximity. The weekend of the 19th *was* in the summary that Nakman posted on the last BRDOHV meeting... but that's not an easy thing to focus on, there was a lot of info there. For that matter, *is* there a good date that is not in proximity with an event?

nuclearlemon
05-26-2006, 09:17 AM
what about the weekend before?

Red_Chili
05-26-2006, 09:28 AM
I put in a feeler to Brian and Cat... the problem is they need to have time to get the hydrologist and archeologist reports done, and the archeologist has to be there when we work just in case... Gov't work. But that does give them three months to shift a week.

Here's hopin'.:o :eek: Sorry guys...
moving it earlier won't work, due to reports that have to be completed by the USFS first, see below...

wesintl
05-26-2006, 09:39 AM
I have been in the habit of anyone that wants a sticky for their run or if they are planning a run or event that it must be posted on the calendar. I'm also thinking of adding the date to the thread title of every Official Run or event so that it's clear when it is.

Red_Chili
05-26-2006, 11:34 AM
One stop shopping makes sense. Second best would be a direct link on the page I suppose. Again, my error.
It's not like I could have missed this on the RS home page for pitie's sake.... :(

Red_Chili
05-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Just talked to Brian Rasmussen. He needs to juggle when the archaeologist is there to make it happen, but the date is slipped *out* a week to August 25th, 26th, and 27th. I plan on heading up there Friday after work and meeting them there, bringing camping equipment and some food.

So if you want to be part of the work party, with varying emphases on 'work' and 'pah-tay', join me! We hope to start punching holes Friday late afternoon to speed the work on Saturday.

Groucho
05-31-2006, 10:30 AM
On the dates of this work session?

Red_Chili
05-31-2006, 11:40 AM
I'm 90% sure right now. It can't be later, because of schedules at the USFS and the revegetation effort and Labor Day, and it can't be earlier because of the Rally and because the week before the Rally stuff won't be done at the USFS. Some schedules need to be shuffled but it pretty much *has* to happen 8/25-27.

Red_Chili
05-31-2006, 11:41 AM
[grouse and moan post] Sheesh, it ain't even summer and we ain't got no free weekends already yet! Sucks to get old.

But it beats the only known alternative.... [end_whine]

Uncle Ben
05-31-2006, 05:46 PM
[grouse and moan post] Sheesh, it ain't even summer and we ain't got no free weekends already yet! Sucks to get old.

But it beats the only known alternative.... [end_whine]

I feel your pain senior! :bawl: http://www.netshrine.com/vbulletin2/images/smilies/nopity.gif

Red_Chili
07-21-2006, 07:59 AM
Hello all-
The materials for the Yankee Doodle project will be staged at the USFS Nederland Work Center. Transportation of materials from the various vendors to the work center would be a significant expense to the Boulder Ranger District, so volunteering to transport these materials as we are able will be a gratefully received contribution! Staging at the Nederland Work Center will allow us to collect the materials over a few weeks, easing the logistics challenges.

Then on Friday, 8/25, we will then need to transport the whole lot to the Yankee Doodle Lake project site. A few trailers and full size pickups should do the deed.

I may have a class scheduled that Friday evening* (won't know for sure until the week before), so I would like to have a point person take charge of the materials logistics. This person will work with Brian Rasmussen [bdrasmussen@fs.fed.us] and arrange transport from the various vendors to Nederland as we are able, and then transport from the Nederland work center to the project site on 8/25.

Who would like to take that on? Mike, I know you mentioned transportation, feel up to it?

* I will be setting up my camp late that Friday if the class happens.

nuclearlemon
07-21-2006, 08:48 AM
i have to work friday, but i have a small utility trailer that people can use to haul stuff up, and i'll be up saturday if some stuff can wait until then.

Red_Chili
07-21-2006, 01:48 PM
How late do you work Friday? I need to work as well, but plan on taking off as soon as possible if the class Friday night doesn't happen. I can get out three-ish.

Red_Chili
07-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Some additional info: when Tim and I reviewed the work to be done a couple weeks ago, I proposed installing a winch point on the rock at the head of where the major drift forms every year. This is the drift that causes all the bypass creation that Treeroot has noted in other threads. I had my doubts, because the Boulder Ranger District tends to be exceptionally sensitive to liability and legal exposure.

Well... I just heard back from Brian at the BRD: the USFS approved the winch point. Feels good to propose an idea that will have a direct effect on improving the conditions on the ground, and it gets approved!

Not only will this dissuade those with winches from creating bypasses, it will be more fun to bust the drift every year to boot!

BeatDown84FJ60
08-03-2006, 05:33 AM
I would like to go but Im not sure if Ill be a paid up member and voted in by then. Im tight as bvds on a whale when it comes to money right now especially getting my cruiser roadworthy. I would still like to donate my time if possible though. Is that acceptable or do I need to be a full rising sun member?

treerootCO
08-03-2006, 05:54 AM

Who would like to take that on? Mike, I know you mentioned transportation, feel up to it?

Heck yes!

Tahoe is on the side of I-25 though. Lightning appearantly isn't good on the computer. Will be fixed before the project....fingers crossed

Hulk
08-03-2006, 04:00 PM
We'd be glad to have your help, whether you're a member or not. C'mon along!

BeatDown84FJ60
08-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Great I'll be there. I also have plenty of my own tools ranging from hand tools to shovels, pick axes and rakes so if there is anything else I can bring along to help let me know. I love doing stuff like this. There have been a lot of nice trails closed down due to people not doing stuff like this so any help I can provide to keep our access granted I'm in. Bonus points too because I've never wheeled there before either.

treerootCO
08-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Bill, can you call me as soon as you know what needs to be moved to the Nederland Work Center? I have the 16' trailer and my dad has his pickup if needed.

nakman
08-04-2006, 09:57 AM
I should also be available to help move the stuff on Friday, either with a utility trailer behind the 80, or with my back loading stuff into Treeroot or maybe Uncle Ben's trailer..

Bill just to be clear, do we need help buying stuff at Home Depot then driving it up to the work center? Or do we only need help moving stuff from the work center to the work site on Friday 8/25?

treerootCO
08-10-2006, 11:55 PM
Bill,

Would you have time to make up a simple presentation for the Yankee Doodle Work Project? I can print up some pre-work photos that we can hang up at the rally. I was thinking it would be nice to show that Rising Sun is active in the wheeling community and we could have a sign up sheet as well. It wouldn't need someone there, just a presentation we could set out.

Would you be interested in being our guest speaker at the rally? Maybe talk about the greatest work project ever and tell everyone about it.

Red_Chili
08-11-2006, 08:10 AM
You mean... feed my attention deficit disorder?? As in, I don't get enuff? :D
Sure.
Roz with the Sierra Club is having 0 luck getting volunteers for the revegetation & planting project, which she is trying to get done Labor Day weekend after we safeguard the wetlands. I don't think I'd have much luck either on LD. There is a strong possibility we could slip it a week, and the Rally could be a very good opportunity to bring in volunteers from the larger community.

They only need 20 warm bodies with gloves and shovels. Sounds doable.

I'll work on that angle as well. What sorts of presentation material do you think might be needed? How large are your photos? I have the hand-drawn drawings that maybe could be enlarged, if you have the technology to do that.

treerootCO
08-11-2006, 08:13 PM
I can print up to 13x19 in full color. I'll have to look and see if I have any photos that would work. All we really need is one or two pics to attract peole to the information.

Red_Chili
08-21-2006, 08:31 AM
Well, I am sorry I pretty much did nothing on that. I could list excuses but that's boring. On the bright side, the replanting phase of the project is already fully staffed even though it's Labor Day weekend!

Several people came up to me asking about the post-n-cable project. One fella, Don IIRC, said he will try to liberate a water trailer from his work to ease carting water for concrete mixing.

I did not order the signs, DO NOT WINCH FROM POSTS, because I have not heard back from Brian Rasmussen on whether that would be acceptable. I am 80-90% sure it would be, but do not want to spend club funds without 100% assurance. We can do those later.

On the winch anchor: though it is approved, I do not have further information on what is acceptable to the USFS in terms of design. I really need to hear from Brian with the BRD on this. I am assuming they want an expoxied anchor (anything less risks freeze damage), and I am assuming they have an engineered design - but I don't have it. I think this is important for liability reasons. So that part *may* slip, or may not. Don is bringing a hammer drill just in case. Most excellent.

At this point I do not have a headcount, but if everyone who raised their hand to volunteer shows up, plus the others who I did not know about but who are planning to show up, my major problem will be keeping everyone supplied with material. That, I am most definitely up to! :kewl:

The USFS will take care of getting posts to the Nederland work center. I plan on getting out of work noon Friday and that would put me at Nederland around 2-2:30 or so. I have a trailer that I just built that can haul materials, the USFS has several pickups, but we need someone or someones with pickups, a gooseneck perhaps, and/or trailers to haul cable, posts, concrete and tools up there.

Tools that are cool: shovels, manual posthole diggers, pikes, that sort of thing. Wheelbarrows (I have one in acceptable condition) will make transporting bags of concrete easier.

I just got an email from Brian requesting we haul up concrete, I will have to converse with him on that (a bit last-minute...).

Red_Chili
08-21-2006, 08:45 AM
From Brian Rasmussen, just this very moment:
Bill,

First of all I'm sorry for the long silence and last minute logistics.
Last week was a hectic week, lots of time in the field and not enough time planning and organizing. I am headed out to Yankee Doodle again now. But later this afternoon I will fill you in on all the things I need help with.

I will need a lot of help with the hauling materials!

It would be great if you guys can purchase (club money) and haul the concrete (Ready mix). I estimate we will need 104 -80lb bags. Cost: $4 /bag. They come on pallets of 42 bags, so we will need two pallets plus 20 bags. The pallets come wrapped in plastic which is vital due to all the rain up there. The pallets can be loaded directly on one or two of your trailers. We will need them on Saturday morning.

I will fill you in more later this afternoon.

Thank you so much,

Brian D. Rasmussen
Recreation Technician
Boulder Ranger District

Picking up and hauling the concrete is the biggest logistical hurdle I see. That would be a tad more than a ton and a half per pallet - so it looks like a couple stout trailers will be required either Friday night or bright and shiney early Saturday at Yankee Doodle.

Do I have any volunteers to pick up concrete from Home Depot and take it up to Yankee Doodle Lake?

I proposed unpalleting the concrete as a fallback, but I agree pallets will make the loading simpler from a labor perspective. It's just that 'over a ton' part that gets me.

Uncle Ben
08-21-2006, 08:52 AM
From Brian Rasmussen, just this very moment:

Picking up and hauling the concrete is the biggest logistical hurdle I see. That would be a tad more than a ton and a half per pallet - so it looks like a couple stout trailers will be required either Friday night or bright and shiney early Saturday at Yankee Doodle.

Do I have any volunteers to pick up concrete from Home Depot and take it up to Yankee Doodle Lake?

I will do it. Who writes the check and are they ordered?

I can haul it all in one load on Friday.

60wag
08-21-2006, 12:52 PM
I'm planning to head up from Golden on Fri late afternoon. I don't have a trailer but if I can help shuttle some people, vehicles or small stuff that would fit in the back of a 60, let me know.

Bruce

Red_Chili
08-21-2006, 01:46 PM
I will indeed. And UB, you be de man. I don't care *what* Ken says about you, you da man.

I will get either get the amount to Mary, have her cut a check, and ferry it to a HD near you (PM or email me on which one works best), or I can put it on my charge card and get reimbursed. I still have to nail down the numbers from our skidsteer guy, and confirm stuff via email with Brian Rasmussen before ordering though.

JadeRunner
08-21-2006, 02:41 PM
I have a few questions. Sorry if it's been covered.

So where do we meet and at what time on Sat\Sun? I understand at a minimum each of us will need work gloves and a shovel.

If we have a good turn out of workers on Sat. How much work would you anticipate being needed on Sunday. I can only make it one day so perhaps I should just come Sunday, to make sure that day is covered?

Which news papers\TV stations have been contacted? Would you like me to contact any more. Do we have a brief paragraph of our project that we could have them post? I can't remember how many posts were setting and the names of who the other people involved are.

Red_Chili
08-21-2006, 03:05 PM
I have a few questions. Sorry if it's been covered.

So where do we meet and at what time on Sat\Sun? I understand at a minimum each of us will need work gloves and a shovel.
Hey, no worries. And I will post up information as I have communication with Brian Rasmussen.

Those who can carry material can start on Friday afternoon at the Nederland Work Center to pick it up (primarily posts). This would be mid-afternoon, approximately 3-ish, but I will firm up the time with Brian.

Work will begin early Saturday. You can come up as late as 9, but earlier is better. Meet at Yankee Doodle Lake, which is an hours drive above Rollinsville, about an hour to 1.5 hours out of Denver. Bring a hat, 3 season clothing, sunscreen, water, a 5 gallon bucket for water as well

If we have a good turn out of workers on Sat. How much work would you anticipate being needed on Sunday. I can only make it one day so perhaps I should just come Sunday, to make sure that day is covered? That is a tough call due to variability of conditions. If you can make one day, make it Saturday.

Which news papers\TV stations have been contacted? Would you like me to contact any more. Do we have a brief paragraph of our project that we could have them post? I can't remember how many posts were setting and the names of who the other people involved are.
Chris has spoken of this in the members' section; I would PM him.

Rumor has it that the Boulder Daily Camera's very strong bias (against those things that not only we would value, but many in the district) has come home to roost, and that they have not gotten stories and been scooped as a result. Recent stories on the Boulder Ranger District have been reported by the Louisville Times-Call, for instance, which got the Camera's attention. They have replaced the reporter who does this stuff, and now are eager to turn over a new leaf.

Whether this leaf is new enough, is the risk. Feel brave? Not sure I do. I'd go with the Longmont Times-Call, because they already have a series on the area and are pretty darn factual about what they report.

If you'd like to take point on this aspect, I gleefully defer to the Yodermeister.:cheers:

treerootCO
08-22-2006, 01:35 AM
I now own a diesel tow rig and I have the 16' trailer. I have at least six 5 gallon buckets and about ten 30 gallon drums we can fill with water. I will be there Friday, Saturday, and Sunday

Red_Chili
08-22-2006, 07:53 AM
YOU
SIR
ARE
DA
MAN

I really need a new line, I wear that one out around here... :thumb: :cheers:
:risingsun :yeahdude: :clap:

I spoke with Brian Rasmussen last night, my guesses on times at Nederland Work Center to pick up materials and ferry them to Yankee Doodle Lake are good ones. Friday 3-3:30PM, meet at the work center just north of downtown Ned up on the ridge just east of the Peak to Peak. I *believe* it is on Forest Road but will get specific directions and post a map after talking to Brian again.

Of course, if you are available earlier Friday you can certainly do that too... Brian's number is 303-541-2525 (direct line) if you want to meet him, Ranger Kevin, or their designate at the work center earlier in the day. The general line to the Boulder Ranger District is 303–541-2500 if he does not answer.

Red_Chili
08-22-2006, 10:39 AM
Here is a map of the Nederland Work Center location (red star) (534 Ridge Road, Nederland, 80466):

I just talked to Brian R; be sure to pull into the yard near the mailboxes. It should make more sense once we are up there. This is only a concern with larger trailers, blocking access, etc. (there is some expensive equipment there, so we need to identify ourselves to any concerned FS employees...)

Convert
08-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Bill
The water trailer I spoke to you about at the Rally is a no go as it is scheduled to leave the project this week. The hammerdrill for the whinch anchor is no problem. Do you know what size bit is needed ? Do we need epoxy anchors?
Dan

Red_Chili
08-23-2006, 08:18 AM
OK, np on the water; Treeroot is bringing a 30 gal. barrel for water. I have a smallish off-road-capable stakeside trailer (a 1985 minitruck, once dead, lives on!) which will probably be convenient for ferrying water and pipe down the hill if necessary, which I will bring.

On the winch point anchor, I am open to suggestions but I'm thinking we will need at least a 3/4" bolt. We do not yet have a winch shackle/attachment point built or designed; this would be an open item and if anyone has ideas for this or can close this issue by providing the hardware or pointing me to where it can be procured I'd be grateful. But the winch point does not absolutely have to happen this weekend - it would just be a very cool thing to check off.

If you can set an anchor for a 3/4" bolt, then we can install said bolt and shackle when we find what we need, that would be ideal. I do think an epoxy anchor is the way to go. Open to guidance on the bolt size BTW.

I just put in a call to Mike at Off Road Solutions to see if he has access to something like what I am describing, or can fab it. Christo at Slee also comes to mind as a resource.

Red_Chili
08-23-2006, 09:09 AM
As I mull this, I'm thinkin' 3/4" might be a tad light. Let's use a 1" bolt. What is the shear strength of a 1" Grade 8 bolt? Anyone have experience designing/fabbing a winch point?

Shark Bait
08-23-2006, 01:27 PM
I'll be happy to try and work up some sort of press release today. Just for clarification, Brian is with the USFS, Boulder Ranger District? You said around 90 posts? How many feet of barrier is being erected? How many feet of wire is being purchased? How much concrete? This project, as I understand it is to keep motorized vehicles on the trail and off the fragile tundra/wetlands that border the Jenny Creek road around the Yankee Doodle Lake/Rollins Pass area. Please give me any more facts and information that should be included.

Thanks.

Red_Chili
08-23-2006, 04:05 PM
I'll be happy to try and work up some sort of press release today.

Just for clarification, Brian is with the USFS, Boulder Ranger District? Yep. Contact person is Cat Luna, in charge of OHV recreation
You said around 90 posts? Yep.
How many feet of barrier is being erected? >700
How many feet of wire is being purchased? >1400
How much concrete? 9600 lbs.
We also arranged and contracted with the earthmoving operator to scarify the damaged areas and drill post holes.
This project, as I understand it is to keep motorized vehicles on the trail and off the fragile tundra/wetlands that border the Jenny Creek road around the Yankee Doodle Lake/Rollins Pass area. Yes. Rising Sun has been keenly interested in adopting Jenny Creek Road to stabilize and maintain the trail, and mitigate user impact in this popular area. With the Boulder Ranger District allowing us to adopt Jenny Creek (FDT808, & FDR502), we enthusiastically volunteered to assist them in remediating impacts in the wetlands near Yankee Doodle Lake, at the western terminus of FDT808 and the base of Boulder Wagon Road below Needle's Eye Tunnel. The use of our vehicles and equipment contribute significantly to the feasibility and affordability of completing this project as well.
Please give me any more facts and information that should be included. Jenny Creek Road, as part of the Boulder Stage Route, dates to the late 1800s and is an historic route. Yankee Doodle Lake was a favorite scenic stopping point on the Denver, Northwest & Pacific Railroad (The Moffat Road), which roughly followed the stage route, and is rich in Colorado history and an important part of our Colorado heritage.
Rising Sun 4x4 is a group of 4-wheel drive enthusiasts who own Toyota vehicles, and who prize the outdoors and outdoor recreation opportunities of all kinds. We take seriously our responsibility to make a visible and meaningful contribution to alleviating user impacts to public lands, and to enhancing the recreation experience of all public lands visitors. This project allows us to showcase our capabilities and our enthusiasm.

Thanks. Howzzat?

Red_Chili
08-23-2006, 04:11 PM
We are likely to experience a bit of Mother Nature's Natural Bathing when we set up camp...
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?hourly=1&query=80474&yday=236&weekday=Friday

Shark Bait
08-23-2006, 04:42 PM
Here's the press release. So far it's been sent to CBS-4, Colorado's 7, KUSA, FOX-31, Denver Post, Colorado High Trails and TLCA.org. I should be getting the BRD's distribution list soon.

Rising Sun 4 Wheel Drive Club of Colorado, Inc.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

hatfieldcb@yahoo.com
303-805-9312 home
303-324-8751 cell

Four Wheel Drive Club Works with USFS to Protect Wetlands

Lakewood, Colorado -- August 23, 2006 -- Rising Sun 4 Wheel Drive Club of Colorado, Inc., will be working directly with US Forest Service representatives of the Boulder Ranger District to protect wetlands areas in the Roosevelt National Forest this weekend, Friday and Saturday, August 25 & 26, 2006.

The project involves installing 700 feet of barrier on the Jenny Creek Trail 4 Wheel Drive Road, FT 808, in Roosevelt National Forest where the trail re-joins Rollins Pass Road at Yankee Doodle Lake. The barrier is designed to keep motorized vehicles on the trail and protect fragile wetlands outside trail boundaries. Approximately $2500 worth of materials, including 90 metal posts, 1400 feet of 5/8” thick wire rope and 120 80-lb. bags of concrete is being donated by the Rising Sun 4WD Club for the project. Club members have also volunteered time and equipment to haul tools and supplies to the job site and will work hand-in-hand installing the barrier with other volunteers and US Forest Service personnel, under the direction of USFS project managers.

According to Bill Morgan, Land Use Coordinator for the Rising Sun 4WD club, “This project to protect, re-stabilize and replant the wetlands area at Jenny Creek Trail 4 Wheel Drive Road has been on the Forest Service’s list for some time. It came to our attention back in May of 2006 and we began working with them. We consider ourselves responsible off-road vehicle owners and we want to show our commitment to resource protection. We wanted to help eliminate the eyesore caused by irresponsible users. Rising Sun has been keenly interested in adopting Jenny Creek Road to stabilize and maintain the trail, and mitigate user impact in this popular area. With the Boulder Ranger

-more-
Four Wheel Drive Club Works to Protect Wetlands

District allowing us to adopt Jenny Creek (FT 808, & FR 502), we enthusiastically volunteered to assist them in remediating impacts in the wetlands near Yankee Doodle Lake, at the western terminus of FT 808 and the base of Boulder Wagon Road below Needle's Eye Tunnel. The use of our vehicles and equipment contribute significantly to the feasibility and affordability of completing this project as well. “

Jenny Creek Trail 4 Wheel Drive Road, as part of the Boulder Stage Route, dates to the late 1800s and is an historic route. Yankee Doodle Lake was a favorite scenic stopping point on the Denver, Northwest & Pacific Railroad (The Moffat Road), which roughly followed the stage route, and is rich in Colorado history and an important part of our Colorado heritage.

Rising Sun 4 Wheel Drive Club of Colorado– based in Lakewood, Colorado, was founded in 1981 and is a member of the Colorado Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, the Toyota Land Cruiser Association, and the national United 4 Wheel Drive Association. Monies raised by club sponsored events and rallies are donated to organizations like Blue Ribbon Coalition, Tread Lightly!, Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition and others devoted to keeping trails open for responsible recreational users.

Rising Sun 4 Wheel Drive Club of Colorado
P.O. Box 260175
Lakewood, CO 80226
www.risingsun4sx4.com
www.tlca.org
www.hightrails.org
www.ufwda.org

US Forest Service
Cat Luna, OHV Ranger
Boulder Ranger District
2140 Yarmouth Avenue
Boulder, CO 80301
www.fs.fed.us/r2/arnf/about/organization/brd/index.shtml
303-541-2500

# # #

Rzeppa
08-23-2006, 09:13 PM
I will be there Saturday with my FJ45. It is a one ton truck, but I have hauled more than a ton and a half with it before. Where should I go? It appears that that main material hauling from the Nederland work center is planned for Friday afternoon. Will there be additional need for material hauling from there to the work location? Speaking of the work location, I saw a map of the Nederland work center, but where can I find a map of where we are actually going to be working? What's the route?

TIA!

treerootCO
08-23-2006, 09:55 PM
http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=yankee+doodle+lake,+rollinsville+colorado&ie=UTF8&t=h&om=1&ll=39.937592,-105.654134&spn=0.002892,0.005032

hopefully that isn't a live picture :D

work site is East of the Lake by a few feet

Rzeppa
08-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah, that looks chilly. Bill said 3 season apparel. I'm thinking, winter, cold, and rough sledding. Thanks for the map, but...Bill how's about the rest of the answers?

Shark Bait
08-23-2006, 10:51 PM
OK. Just blasted the PR out to most of the world in this area. Let's see who shows up! :lmao:

Uncle Ben
08-23-2006, 11:11 PM
:rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
08-23-2006, 11:16 PM
Just for info I plan on hauling the RS Grill up to Jenny Creek so if ya wanna bring grilling stuff have at it! :thumb:

Shark Bait
08-23-2006, 11:31 PM
[url]
work site is East of the Lake by a few feet

Crikey, it'll be 2 hours or more from Parker. :( At least I'll be driving the 80. :D

Red_Chili
08-24-2006, 07:59 AM
Most Excellent Press Release! Shoot one to the Times-Call if you can. We only contributed a part of all that material, not the whole thing, but that is a minor nit.

My most recent correspondence with Brian is below, in whole, and may answer some questions. We will probably get all the material hauled up Friday, so for Saturday meet at Yankee Doodle Lake at 8AM with a workin' frame of mind! (YDL is on Rollins Pass Road, above East Portal, about an hour west of Rollinsville which is 1-1.5 hours from Denver on the Peak to Peak highway between Nederland and Central City).

Brian, to answer your questions:
I was wondering how many people will be there Friday and Saturday? Not sure Friday, though there will be core people. I would hazard a guess of 6-8 people.
I was wondering how many people will be there Friday night and Saturday night? I don't have a confirmed list, but at our last meeting almost the whole club raised their hands. That would be about 35 people, but in reality I would guess closer to 20. Saturday night folks will probably dwindle to the 6-8 above.
Where are you planning to camp? Any darn place I can! The area tends to be busy so if I have to I'll camp on the shoulder of the road by the lake, in the wide spot near where the narrow gauge started their tunnel dig back in the day. If there are unclaimed areas, I'd prefer either just south of the lake on the hill, or in one of the dispersed areas near the work area east of the road. I probably won't have a campfire anyway; too much trouble. I *think* Nakman (Tim Nakari) is planning some kind of BBQ and campfire. I prefer a stove and gas lanterns.

The water tank trailer did not work out. Treeroot (Mike) is bringing a 30 gallon barrel. Uncle Ben (Kevin) is bringing 5-gallon buckets that the manager of Home Depot donated, not sure of the quantity. I've got three five-gallon containers, one of which will have potable water for me. Do you guys have a 12V or gas greywater pump by chance? That would make short work of refilling.

I have built a single-axle stakeside trailer that will be convenient for distributing posts and concrete over rough terrain, if necessary.

I'm stoked! I have too much packing and such to do tonight to make the BRDOHV meeting. I plan on showing up at work at 5:30 AM and leaving at noon, which should put me at Ned around 3-3:30 with Treeroot and Uncle Ben, who have gooseneck trailers and turbo diesel trucks. Uncle Ben is hauling all 9600 lbs of concrete in one load.

-Bill Morgan

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 6:55 PM
To: Bill Morgan
Cc: Kevin McDermott
Subject: More information - Yankee Doodle

Hi Bill,

Here is some more information to distribute and a few questions.

I was wondering how many people will be there Friday and Saturday?
I was wondering how many people will be there Friday night and Saturday night?
Were are you planning to camp?
There are no Fire Bans in effect.

Please ask everyone to bring full water jugs for concrete water. We have some jugs to haul up on Friday. Let us know if you came up with a water tank. We should not need more than 100 gallons. Perhaps we can come up with 15 or 20 5-gallon jugs We can refill water jugs from the lake using buckets. Bring buckets too. Ready mix suggests 3/4 gallons per bag of concrete.

The people meeting at the Forest Service Work Center on Ridge Road on Friday at 3-ish need to know that the obscure driveway is located about 100 yards east of the DOT yard with the chain link fence. Our driveway has an open gate with a chainsaw mailbox and the address 534 and 560 on it.
Please pull in 100 feet and stop on the right without blocking fire engine access. This is where Kevin will meet you and direct you to the stuff to haul. The Map Quest map that was emailed out will tell you how to find Ridge Road from downtown Nederland.

I imagine everyone knows to bring basic safety gear and clothing:

Long pants
Sturdy boots
Leather gloves
Sunscreen and Rain gear
Drinking water and food
Dust mask - optional for concrete
Eye protection
and more

This ought to be a blast!!!!

Brian D. Rasmussen
Recreation Technician
Boulder Ranger District
(303) 541-2525
bdrasmussen@fs.fed.us

Red_Chili
08-24-2006, 08:10 AM
Rollinsville map, and Rollins Pass map showing route in red, with the project area in green:

Red_Chili
08-24-2006, 08:18 AM
My guesses on attendance are conservative I think. We'll see. If I could do anything different, it would be keeping better track of volunteers, sorry 'bout that. But this is a great project to be part of, and is gathering a lot of interest from participants! The excitement is generating a lot of anticipation, and frankly, it's gonna be a work pah-tay, with the emphasis on pah-tay after working all day. For participants, my sense is that the work load will not be nearly as great as the work accomplished at the end of the day. What a blast!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we see our pix in a paper or two. Or even more... What a great PR thing for the motorized community, and it sets a different kind of image for young OHVers than just blasting through the mudholes and woods in those commercials we keep seeing.

If we have enough people, my plan is to create small work groups, with a water hauler, concrete tamper/mixer, and pipe positioner in each group (roles switching at will). We can leapfrog each other. With enough people we should make short work of setting 90 posts; even so, the skidsteer postholer operator will have little problem staying ahead of us.

Dry-tamping the post concrete and stabilizing the posts with rock should allow us to string cable the same day. We shall look to Uncle Ben for schoolin' on postsetting technology; word has it he has set a post or two in his day.

Red_Chili
08-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Mike Caskey has volunteered to construct a solid winch point... :thumb: :cheers: :beer:

Red_Chili
08-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Crikey, it'll be 2 hours or more from Parker. :( At least I'll be driving the 80. :D
From Parker plan on closer to three. Unless you want to go 60 on Rollins Pass Road. Even an FZJ80 is likely to experience some cappucino mishaps under those conditions.

Uncle Ben
08-24-2006, 08:49 AM
From Parker plan on closer to three. Unless you want to go 60 on Rollins Pass Road. Even an FZJ80 is likely to experience some cappucino mishaps under those conditions.
Actually didn't spill much! :rolleyes: :cool: :thumb: :hill:

Shark Bait
08-24-2006, 10:45 AM
I did notify the Longmont paper.

Monica Clay at Tread Lightly! is going to post the information on their website and ask for volunteers.

Jeanette and I will be there. We'll try and bring water.

Red_Chili
08-24-2006, 11:50 AM
It occurs to me that the 5 gal. buckets marked in 3/4 gal. increments could be priceless. Each bag of concrete takes 3/4 gal.

Shark Bait
08-24-2006, 12:56 PM
It occurs to me that the 5 gal. buckets marked in 3/4 gal. increments could be priceless. Each bag of concrete takes 3/4 gal.

"Doing the math", then, means we need 90 gallons of water. Can we pull some out of the lake?

Red_Chili
08-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Oh, yeah. Oh, most definitely part of the plan. Just hafta make sure no trout get cemented into the ground... :LOL:

nakman
08-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Who's going up on Friday night? Where you camping? Anyone going up early to secure a big group site?

Oh yeah, I'm back in town..

Convert
08-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Bill
I have the hammer drill, generator and epoxy anchor any idea what size drill bit is needed for the winch point?
Dan

nakman
08-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Ok, Treeroot and I are going to meet up there tomorrow around 13:00, will get the best designated camp site we can find closest to the lake off the Rollins Pass road. We'll then ditch some gear then head to Ned to help Uncle Ben load the trailer, may be back to camp by 4 in time to run Jenny Creek at 5? You guys that come up later look for the RS banner and some trucks you recogize..

after a quick run it's :beer:, :beer2:, :cheers: :camping:

edit: Just got a call from our digger, they got 54 holes dug today, hope the get the rest punched tomorrow. Will be plenty do do come Saturday!

treerootCO
08-24-2006, 11:06 PM
Is anyone staying until Sunday? I am going to stay there Friday/Saturday for sure.

Bill/Kevin if you are awake call me on 7206359198 cell, I am curious what else has to happen tomorrow (I'll be awake from now until Friday night). I took the day off so I'll be available all day Friday. If you go to the Louisville Home Depot on Friday, look for my dad, I think he is working that day.

I am going bring the 30-50 gallon drums of water, shovel, post hole digger, 5 gallon buckets, and 2 boxes of Colorado peaches.

I don't have a CB in the pickup yet, CB channel 4 for those with 'em. Everyone is welcome to call my cell if you need anything. 7206359198. I'll try and get in touch with Bill tomorrow so I am up to speed on everything. He is running the show, not me, so he deserves all the credit for making this happen. The signal is spotty once we are on the pass but there are sections it works great. I think Bill mentioned this earlier but just in case...this project is open to all volunteers. If you are not a Rising Sun member that is not a problem. This would be a great event to start with.

Red_Chili
08-25-2006, 07:10 AM
Bill
I have the hammer drill, generator and epoxy anchor any idea what size drill bit is needed for the winch point?
Dan
That is kinda in flux at this point. I would like to have a 1" bolt (I think...) holding the winch point (I am all about 'hell for stout'; just weigh my 4Runner sometime). It is possible - likely - that Off Road Solutions will be making a winch anchor that uses two bolts, in which case 3/4" should be adequate. Bring an assortment. Mike is going to try to make the trip, but if that fails, Treeroot, if you could swing by Off Road Solutions in WheatRidge to pick up the winch point that would be great.

ORS' number is 303-278-6267.

Oh, and by the way Mike, this definitely ain't the Bill Show! I just need to make sure I stay outa da way of you most excellent fellers!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :cheers:
(any way to make those bowdown emoticons run out of sequence like they do in the entry screen? Kinda cool.. but I digress)

I got a call from a reporter (whose name I did not get - or I had a senior moment. I like the first explanation) from the Times-Call yesterday. Missed my train and it was well worth it. She was an excellent interviewer, and knowledgeable about the whole status of the Boulder Wagon Road/Needle's Eye Tunnel. This project has a part to play even in that scenario!

This whole project is bigger than the sum of its parts. And all the little parts are important in themselves; we get to be green and we get to be 4x4ers, all in the public eye. Of course, that is not surprising to us, but it's not what the public has come to assume about OHVers.

This may go a long way toward demonstrating to the Boulder County Commissioners that the public
1) really really wants a connecting route between Rollinsville and the Fraser Valley
2) is really committed to support work to make that route sustainable
3) said route is a tremendous educational opportunity about some of the fantastic stories and people that are our heritage in Colorado history.

Maybe they will wake up.

Red_Chili
08-25-2006, 07:14 AM
Ok, Treeroot and I are going to meet up there tomorrow around 13:00, ...
edit: Just got a call from our digger, they got 54 holes dug today, hope the get the rest punched tomorrow. Will be plenty do do come Saturday!
54 holes!!! Holy smokes. He said he wouldn't have a hard time, and he didn't.

That gives us slack time. Useful considering it's been raining every day up there. Enough to cheer even the grumpiest project manager's countenance... MOST EXCELLENT!

The peaches are definitely mission critical...

At the risk of going wistful... doing this much work in a day is a dim echo of the work all them fellers put into the railroad 100 years ago. I really will have to do a presentation on the Denver, Northwest & Pacific RR sometime for the club. Moffat's dream made real. I even have a few little HO-scale representations of the 200-ton articulated Mallet locomotives that used to swing through Needle's Eye Tunnel and around Yankee Doodle Lake. Uncle Dave, Doc Susie Anderson... Heroic, simple people. Those who go before us. OK, OK, enuff o' dat.

I am planning on staying till Sunday. Maybe when the work is done, we can snag some carsonites and a friendly ranger and sign the eastern extension of FDR502. Rumor has it there are some mudholes forming there too...:rant:

Red_Chili
08-25-2006, 07:28 AM
David Halliday Moffat, a.k.a. "Uncle Dave" to the people who worked for him:
http://www.grandcountycharacters.org/images/moffat3.jpg
http://www.rmpbs.org/byways/images/ptp/ptp_1903bs.jpg
http://www.rmpbs.org/byways/images/ptp/ptp_1869_1903_contintlsmts.jpg
http://www.rmpbs.org/byways/images/ptp/ptp_1903_snowctrollinspass2.jpg

nuclearlemon
08-25-2006, 10:05 AM
i've got to go to a wedding at 1 saturday, but will be up after that in clampy. bringing gloves, shovel, post hole digger, and camping gear. if you need anything late, email me today or early tomorrow am, or call my cell 3034160362 and i'll bring it up late sat afternoon.

Red_Chili
08-25-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, I don't know if this works out for you, but I do need someone to pick up our winch anchor from Off Road Solutions sometime today after 1PM. Also, it will be built for 7/8" bolts, total of two bolts (anchors) needed. Convert, can you work with that for epoxy anchors?

Mike Caskey at ORS can be reached at 303-278-6267, and his shop is located in WheatRidge north of I-70 and a bit east of Wadsworth in the industrial section. Call for directions.

This is my last post, signing off! See y'all up there!!

treerootCO
08-25-2006, 01:00 PM
I called ORS...I will pick up the anchor

Maddmatt
08-25-2006, 03:27 PM
OK, thanks to the wonders of modern technology, here are the official directions to the work camp HQ:
1) Go up Rollins Pass to Yankee Doodle Lake
2) Go down Jenny Creek past the mud bog
3) Look for the camp on the left.

Sounds pretty easy to me. Nakman is up there and set up.
-Matt

Convert
08-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Got the anchors picked up. Headed that way know

Romer
08-25-2006, 04:35 PM
So whats the best way to Rollinsville these days. 93 up to Rocky and then left or I-70 to the central city parkway up to Central city and then 119 from there? Or is there a btter way. Coming from the tech center

wesintl
08-25-2006, 04:44 PM
I like going up golden gate but I don't have a supercharger. Then again if you get stuck behind a diesel it won't be much fun ;)

Shark Bait
08-25-2006, 04:44 PM
Google maps gave me C-470 to I-70 to Central City and up from there.

Do you have something from Beno for me? :p:

Romer
08-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Google maps gave me C-470 to I-70 to Central City and up from there.

Do you have something from Beno for me? :p:

Maybe:D

Did you want me to bring those hoses for the 2F?

Shark Bait
08-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Maybe:D

Did you want me to bring those hoses for the 2F?

Sure. That was $25, right?

We're leaving Parker between 5:30 and 6:00 AM Saturday morning.

bh4rnnr
08-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Looks like were going to have a full trail tomorrow. As some folks from Colorado4x4.org (http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=73109) are planning on going. Looks like they have been informed of the clean up.

I'm planning on leaving early tomorrow. See everybody up there:thumb:

Romer
08-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Rachel,me and one of Rachels friends will be heading out a little before 6. we will be going up hiway 93 to 72 so we can pick Rachel's friend up. He is going to leave his car at Slee and we will be picking him up at 6 from there. We will be on CB 4 if anyone is in the area and wants to link up.

Shark Bait
08-25-2006, 10:42 PM
No CB in my 80. What's your cell again? :o

Rzeppa
08-25-2006, 10:47 PM
No CB in my 45 either...bringing my handheld ;-)

nuclearlemon
08-25-2006, 11:23 PM
Rachel,me and one of Rachels friends will be heading out a little before 6. we will be going up hiway 93 to 72 so we can pick Rachel's friend up. He is going to leave his car at Slee and we will be picking him up at 6 from there. We will be on CB 4 if anyone is in the area and wants to link up.
he's not driving, is he? :D