PDA

View Full Version : Stereo question

Air Randy
12-07-2010, 09:23 PM
I want to put a stereo in.the Mule. I can mount the unit in the dash but where would you mount two speakers since I have a soft top and soft doors? I used to buy a speaker in awedge housing to mount on the fender well but I can't find those these days. Any suggestions?

Jacket
12-07-2010, 09:35 PM
How 'bout the speakers that mount to a roll cage?

RockRunner
12-07-2010, 09:41 PM
They used to sell them at car toys or ultimate electronics.

Uncle Ben
12-07-2010, 09:53 PM
http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1C1CHMC_enUS300US303&q=wedge+speaker+boxes&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1440&bih=781

Corbet
12-07-2010, 11:19 PM
how about speakers designed for a boat wake board tower thing. (I don't know I prefer a slalom ski). Look like the could clamp to a roll bar. Plus take some rain.

http://www.mtx.com/marine/

corsair23
12-08-2010, 02:14 AM
How good of sound do you want?

Bestop makes a sound bar designed for Jeeps but depending on roll cage bar spacing they can sometimes work...Sound quality isn't great though on the ones I've heard.

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=16156&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product

Tuffy makes speaker enclosures that mount to the rear wheel wells as an option or idea for making your own.

TLC in CA use to make these "panels" that attached to the door frame and ran from there to about the firewall by the kick vents that allowed you to install the speakers of choice...Obviously not a great idea if sealed speakers are important :hill: - I just checked their site and don't see them listed but you could make your own easy enough.

Other ideas would be some decent outdoor speakers (http://www.google.com/search?q=bestop+speakers&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADBS_en#sclient=psy&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADBS_en&biw=1899&bih=827&tbs=shop:1&q=outdoor+speakers&aq=0&aqi=g4g-o1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=255a3570ffa5c64c) that could be mounted about anywhere.

nuclearlemon
12-08-2010, 08:06 AM
if you build them, they'll make noise

nakman
12-08-2010, 01:18 PM
http://www.tookshats.com/

nattybumppo
12-08-2010, 05:06 PM
I have some box speakers I'm sending off for a rebuild since they are old and the cones are deteriorated, but they sound great (ADS 300s) and I mound them just in front of the jumpseats on some homemade brackets I bolted through the sheetmetal on the wheel well. I checked for som marinespeakers and they had a good selection at Crutchfield.com for not too much money. They might be the way to go...

Air Randy
12-08-2010, 05:06 PM
How good of sound do you want?

Bestop makes a sound bar designed for Jeeps but depending on roll cage bar spacing they can sometimes work...Sound quality isn't great though on the ones I've heard.

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=16156&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product

Tuffy makes speaker enclosures that mount to the rear wheel wells as an option or idea for making your own.

TLC in CA use to make these "panels" that attached to the door frame and ran from there to about the firewall by the kick vents that allowed you to install the speakers of choice...Obviously not a great idea if sealed speakers are important :hill: - I just checked their site and don't see them listed but you could make your own easy enough.

Other ideas would be some decent outdoor speakers (http://www.google.com/search?q=bestop+speakers&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADBS_en#sclient=psy&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us%3AIE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ADBS_en&biw=1899&bih=827&tbs=shop:1&q=outdoor+speakers&aq=0&aqi=g4g-o1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=255a3570ffa5c64c) that could be mounted about anywhere.

It's a noisy old 40 :zilla:with a soft top, so I'm not too concerned about the quality of the audio. I thought of mounting something on the roll bar but the way mine is built the speakers would have to be close to our heads, good for sound but bad for heads if we tip over again :hill:.

I'll check out the Tuffy mounts for the wheel wells. I'm just amazed the speakers in the plastic wedge mounts are so hard to find these days. They used to be as common as popcorn and were perfect for putting speakers in the rear window ledge on a car.

RockRunner
12-08-2010, 09:04 PM
roll bar but the way mine is built the speakers would have to be close to our heads, good for sound but bad for heads if we tip over again :hill:.

You mean when yoy roll over again:lmao::D:D

ScaldedDog
12-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm just amazed the speakers in the plastic wedge mounts are so hard to find these days. They used to be as common as popcorn and were perfect for putting speakers in the rear window ledge on a car.

Ahhh, Randy, that was 1975. DAMHIK

You brought back a great memory of cruising around in my Dad's Plymouth Scamp, listening to BTO. Of course, I don't really *need* your post to remind me, as the ringing in my ears does it every day.:eek:

Mark

Air Randy
12-09-2010, 07:35 AM
You mean when yoy roll over again:lmao::D:D

Isn't that sort of like the tar pot calling the tea kettle black? :D

Uncle Ben
12-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Isn't that sort of like the tar pot calling the tea kettle black? :D

Thats what I was thinking! :rolleyes:

hyperboarder
12-09-2010, 07:41 AM
I'd just troll craigslist for some old wedge boxes then put whatever speakers you want in them. Probably the cheapest option.

nattybumppo
12-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Randy, is this what you mean by wedge speakers? This pair came with my 60 but I won't be using them. They sounded good with the old stereo that was in there, definitely not blown. They are yours if you want them. You'd have to fab a bracket, they were velcrowed to the carpet!

Corbet
12-11-2010, 07:36 AM
I had a set of 6x9's mounting is small boxes that were bolted down to the floor and supported the jump seats when folded down if that makes sense? Any car stereo shop should have them.

Air Randy
12-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Randy, is this what you mean by wedge speakers? This pair came with my 60 but I won't be using them. They sounded good with the old stereo that was in there, definitely not blown. They are yours if you want them. You'd have to fab a bracket, they were velcrowed to the carpet!

If you inserted a picture it didn't come through, but if you're coming to the party just bring them with you. I'm sure I can fab up something to make them work, whatever they are :hill: Thanks!

nattybumppo
12-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Fixed it! Not coming to the party but I'll figure out a way to get them to you soon if you want them.

Air Randy
12-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Fixed it! Not coming to the party but I'll figure out a way to get them to you soon if you want them.

Those will work nicely! Thanks!

nattybumppo
12-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Those will work nicely! Thanks!

On the way to you at the party via Carlton.

Air Randy
12-11-2010, 05:03 PM
On the way to you at the party via Carlton.

Cool! Great Christmas gift, Thank You!

Air Randy
12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Heh heh, when the boys drove Carlton's truck around to the shop last night they were supposed to unload the speakers and the engine stand. We'', they unloaded the engine stand but forgot the speakers, so they're still in Carlton's truck :D.

No biggie, we'll get them next time around.

nattybumppo
12-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Carlton is always looking for a way to make a buck! I'll keep my eye out for them on Federal Blvd!