PDA

View Full Version : Having a hell of a time mounting a tire on a beadlock

hyperboarder
12-08-2010, 05:30 PM
I've spent the afternoon leaping onto an old MTR that I'm trying to mount onto my spare Trailready. I've got the bead like 60% on there but it just won't go any futher. I even stacked another tire/wheel on top to add weight and kept jumping. Nothing. Anyone have any bright ideas?

60wag
12-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Warm it up? The motorcycle guys swear that wam tires are much easier to deal with than cold ones.

TIMZTOY
12-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Mucho lube.

TIMZTOY
12-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Warm it up? The motorcycle guys swear that wam tires are much easier to deal with than cold ones.

Yep

hyperboarder
12-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Warm it up like heated garage or like torch? Also, what kind of lube?

RLMS
12-08-2010, 06:49 PM
soap and water works great for us!!

Air Randy
12-08-2010, 08:20 PM
soap and water works great for us!!

Yep, soap & water. Then stick something in the center of the wheel to use as a pivot (tire iron, etc) then use a large screw driver on that pivot with the tip of the screw driver under the tire bead to work it around until it pops down onto the wheel.

Dumb question, but are you sure the wheel and the tire are the same size? If it's a beadlock wheel then the tire should literally fall over the outer lip of the wheel where the lock bolts on.

hyperboarder
12-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Yep, soap & water. Then stick something in the center of the wheel to use as a pivot (tire iron, etc) then use a large screw driver on that pivot with the tip of the screw driver under the tire bead to work it around until it pops down onto the wheel.

Dumb question, but are you sure the wheel and the tire are the same size? If it's a beadlock wheel then the tire should literally fall over the outer lip of the wheel where the lock bolts on.

Luckily I'm not dumb enough to throw a 16.5" tire on a 17" wheel :D. It's a custom trailready, so the ring was welded on, but it is a mofo. I'll give your method a shot.

Cheese
12-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Get the tire warm in some sun tomorrow, soap and water.

I have slung a decent amount of beadlocks and am in town, if you'd like another eye, hit me up. 970-Four Twenty-Triple0 5

Maybe another set of eyes and some more HP could help.

60wag
12-10-2010, 05:36 AM
Supposedly the magic fluid for moto tires is WD40. It acts as a lube for the tire install but goes away so you get good grip between the tire and rim. Soap, especially dish soap, on the other hand sticks around and is reactivated as a lube whenever the tire bead gets wet making it easier for the tire to slip on the rim.

As for warming the tire, leave it in a closed car on a hot day should be hot enough. I wouldn't go near a tire with a torch or a heat gun.

hyperboarder
12-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, finally got it on last night. Soap and water was the key and I'm sure the warmer weather helped too. I got the ring bolted on, now my question is how to get the rear bead to seat. I tried airing it up and that didn't do it, is there a better method? The wheel has a small bend in the lip on the backside, but it doesn't look like it should interfere with the bead at all.

Air Randy
12-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Put a ratchet strap or small comealong around the circumference of the tire and centered in the tire. Crank it as tight as you can get it. Then start putting air in it, be prepared to release the strap as soon as the bead sets and the tire starts to fill.

The other way, which is more fun, is to use starting fluid. Take the tire outside, lay it with the unseated bead down, give it a 1 second shot of starting fluid through the valve stem, light it at the valve stem with one of those long BBQ lighters and be ready for a loud BANG! Also be sure and wear eye protection. This is a good chance to practice reseating a bead when you peel a tire off out on the trail.

Hulk
12-10-2010, 10:40 AM
The other way, which is more fun, is to use starting fluid. Take the tire outside, lay it with the unseated bead down, give it a 1 second shot of starting fluid through the valve stem, light it at the valve stem with one of those long BBQ lighters and be ready for a loud BANG! Also be sure and wear eye protection. This is a good chance to practice reseating a bead when you peel a tire off out on the trail.

...and if you choose the method, make sure to videotape it and post is here. :D

hyperboarder
12-10-2010, 10:43 AM
I assume the explosive method is with the valve stem core removed?

rover67
12-10-2010, 10:50 AM
...and if you choose the method, make sure to videotape it and post is here. :D

Agree... I can't wait to see it..

corsair23
12-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I assume the explosive method is with the valve stem core removed?

Sounds like a good idea but I've never done it...Here is an example of the video we're expecting though :hill:

Looks like you can watch a few and figure out the do's and don'ts with this method :)

nz6xaVNzwYg

Uncle Ben
12-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Put a ratchet strap or small comealong around the circumference of the tire and centered in the tire. Crank it as tight as you can get it. Then start putting air in it, be prepared to release the strap as soon as the bead sets and the tire starts to fill.

While I am very good at the starting fluid method and endorse it fully, I caution against Randy's method! (sorry Randy but have to call it) If the unseated bead is on the ground there is a good chance you might be looking up to avoid it landing on your head. the best way is to lean the tire against a wall, unseated bead out, valve core removed; a brief spray about 1/2 to3/4's of the way around the tire ending up with a wet line to the tread on the side; stand against the wall in parallel with the tire; light the wet line (that should be on your side of the tire) with a torch or long lighter as Randy suggested. The tire will "poof" quickly but less dramatic than one would expect. You must add air very quickly to the stem or the expanded gas will cool and the bead will usually pop back off. DO NOT PUT FINGER ON VALVE STEM WHILE FUMBLING FOR AIR HOSE! You will have a very painful 1/4" brand replacing your previous fingerprint! TRUST ME on this one...I know!

If you dont get air into the tire quick enough and the bead pops back off then you must exchange the air again or it wont work! An air nozzle works well and simply blow out the O2 depleted air. Then repeat the procedure. Some notes: The poof is not as dramatic as a novice would expect; Some times the Starting fluid will light but the poof is slightly delayed; DO NOT WATCH THE BEAD or you could lose all facial hair and/or end up with grit embedded in your face/eyes; if using a torch don't forget its still burning! 1/4 inch whiteish tan colored rings where your finger print used to be HURT LIKE HELL!

hyperboarder
12-10-2010, 03:13 PM
How would I add air really quickly sans valve core? The chuck attached to my compressor doesn't let air out without it AFAIK. I've also got a Q Industries 12V compressor that might work, can't remember but I think that one might not need the core to pump air.

Uncle Ben
12-10-2010, 03:21 PM
How would I add air really quickly sans valve core? The chuck attached to my compressor doesn't let air out without it AFAIK. I've also got a Q Industries 12V compressor that might work, can't remember but I think that one might not need the core to pump air.

The reason to pull the core is so you can add air faster. If your chuck wont work without the core (most will) try it with it in

Air Randy
12-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Well, to each their own as to what is the "correct" way. I've done it several times and it has always worked fine for me. As UB says, there is no explosion thus no worry of lifting a 65+ lb tire & wheel off of the ground as long as you don't use too much ether. If both beads are broken it doesn't really matter which side is down. Ideally, when you're on the trail you leave the tire on the rig and just jack it up before reseating it.

The idea behind doing it with the broken bead down, so I'm told, is that if you're driving down a trail and unseat the bead, you may get a little sand or dirt in the tire you can't easily clean out. With the bead down, when it "woofs" you don't need to worry about crap blowing out into your face.

I've also never seen the trick of spraying an ether trail on the ground & tire to act like a fuse. I would hate to try and do that on the trail where you might start a forest fire.:hill:

I pull the schrader valve, then give it a 2-3 second burst into the tire. You don't need near as much as the kid in the video used. Then flop the tire on the ground or lean it up against something. Just light the long lighter and put the tip of it to the valve stem or the open bead area. When the bead seats pressure will build really quickly inside the tire as the ether burns. With the stem open the remaining ether will have enough oxygen to burn completely and the over pressure will escape from the valve stem, which is why I prefer that method versus leaving the stem in and squirting around the edge of the tire. Otherwise as soon as it seats the ether consumes the oxygen and the fire goes out, but you still have potentially burnable ether inside the tire.

Most of the times I have done this, the tire bead has remained seated since the pressure got so high in the tire it really did seat it all the way. Once everything cools down you can fill it with air and go on your way. Occassionally I have lost the bead after seating it this way, usually when it's really cold outside and the tire is cold too. Usually if you repeat the process again it seats.

I've used this same process on OTR truck tires and even a large 75B Michigan wheel loader. The first link below is how NOT to do it. This idiot uses way too much ether, lights it with the tire freestanding and is lucky he didn't get someone hurt. The second link shows the right way to do it though I would always light the lighter before I insert the tip next to the tire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KI38RZ2f6Ls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsS1-7Hjyy8&feature=player_detailpage

nuclearlemon
12-10-2010, 06:34 PM
if you spray the bead, instead of inside, you lose the risk of actually starting a fire within the tire, but if that does happen (yes, it can), put a metal valve stem cap on ...no air no fire.