PDA

View Full Version : driving ito work, this moring.

TIMZTOY
12-15-2010, 10:12 AM
guess what happened to me this morning on my way to work.. I've got about 8min to get there on time. im driving along and c470 north, exit onto 70 east. and boom ! bang bang bang bang.. im thinking oh S*** it finally went, damnit !
i look in the rear view and i see sparks flying. theres a mersadies or bmw (what ever) a very nice expensive suv tailgating me like every single colorado driver ive ever incountered. then i look in the rear view again and woop there goes the shaft.. lol im thinking to me self "HAHA servs you right for tailgating me.. so i coast down the hill in nutral, get to the bottom of the hill put in 4th just to see if i can limp it into work. nope.. bang bang bang. im like "aaaa my gas tank" ..
i pull over remove the remenance of the shaft thats bolted to the carrier. and drive the last 1 mile to work in front wheel drive.. (drove awsome by the way)
and i made it with 2 min to spare.. bam nascar s*** right there. :hill:

so im currentlly in the need for a rear drive shaft off a extended cab or 4runner. 82-88 prefered. but i belive the cardon rears from the 89+ should fit.. there the same length.. yoda jim wants a freaking arm and leg for one. like $75 i think.. if anyone has one please shout out.

RedCreeper
12-15-2010, 10:31 AM
That brings back memories.......

glad all is ok. good thing it was not the front..... seen a guy pogo down the woodrow wilson bridge that way. oooops. :eek:

Bikeman
12-15-2010, 10:40 AM
I have a rear shaft out of a 4runner at my shop. It has the dual cardan unit with the "big" 4 bolt pattern on the flange. Me thinks it's out of a 3rd or 4th gen. I don't know if it will fit, but I am 4 miles west and 2 miles north of your work. 303-six one nine 1918.

TIMZTOY
12-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Pm sent. And I'm also glad it didn't end up going down the highway tailgate first

Bikeman
12-15-2010, 11:05 AM
I was assuming you still worked at the Pep Boys on 470 and quebec?

Jacket
12-15-2010, 11:41 AM
So what exactly happened? Did the DS disintegrate, or did the bolts shear, or something else?

TIMZTOY
12-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Stevinson Toyota west (were the meetings are held) complete decentagration. Lol like poof :) the rear u-joint assembly was comeatlly beat to he'll when I got the truck. The PO was driving with a compleatlly decentgrated u-joint. Which wore the near 1/4" thick u-joint retainers that you press the joint into. Down to about 1/16" I knew it was juat a matter of time.

AxleIke
12-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Stevinson Toyota west (were the meetings are held) complete decentagration. Lol like poof :) the rear u-joint assembly was comeatlly beat to he'll when I got the truck. The PO was driving with a compleatlly decentgrated u-joint. Which wore the near 1/4" thick u-joint retainers that you press the joint into. Down to about 1/16" I knew it was juat a matter of time.

Disintegration :D :D :D

I have a 4runner shaft, however I don't think it will work. Extended cab has a longer wheel base than the 4runner.

J Kimmel
12-15-2010, 12:51 PM
have a perfect non cv shaft, 40" collapsed in my garage if you need a "get me by." fresh from front range driveline.

TIMZTOY
12-15-2010, 01:03 PM
have a perfect non cv shaft, 40" collapsed in my garage if you need a "get me by." fresh from front range driveline.

Is that a borrow only ? :hill: I take it that's your trail spare

And I thought the runners had the same wheel base as the extended cabs.

J Kimmel
12-15-2010, 01:14 PM
you can borrow as long as you need, I built it as a spare 4 years ago, and its never left my garage.

Red_Chili
12-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Disintegration :D :D :D

Yeah, decentagration is when something starts getting more decent. Which I'm thinkin' is what you want, after disintegration.
:lmao:

AxleIke
12-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Is that a borrow only ? :hill: I take it that's your trail spare

And I thought the runners had the same wheel base as the extended cabs.

No. 4 runners had the same wheel base as the reg cabs, like 103.5 or something. Extended cabs generally were longer.

corsair23
12-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Bummer Tim :eek: - Glad it wasn't worse

No help on the drive shaft other than this makes me want to take care of my front shaft in the LX sooner, rather than later :)

TIMZTOY
12-16-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm going to swing by jims and see what they have. I might also swing by pull n pay. And see what they have. Other wise I will need to borrow yours kimmel

Bikeman
12-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Bummer Tim :eek: - Glad it wasn't worse

No help on the drive shaft other than this makes me want to take care of my front shaft in the LX sooner, rather than later :)

Jeff, didin't I give you a front driveline you can just swap out? I have one here at the shop that is known good you can have.

BreckBJ44
12-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Man! Glad you're alright.... and not paying for that Mercedes front grill! I have no idea if they will work, but I have some 40 and 60 shafts if you need 'em!

K

corsair23
12-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Jeff, didin't I give you a front driveline you can just swap out? I have one here at the shop that is known good you can have.

Yep...Finding the time to do said swap is harder than doing the swap - figures right when I go on vacation the weather turns cold...What's up with that? I'll take you up on the other driveshaft as well though if you don't have a use for it :thumb:

J Kimmel
12-16-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm going to swing by jims and see what they have. I might also swing by pull n pay. And see what they have. Other wise I will need to borrow yours kimmel

come on by, its brand new, and you can use it as long as you want, its just gathering dust

TIMZTOY
12-16-2010, 06:20 PM
come on by, its brand new, and you can use it as long as you want, its just gathering dust

I just got one from jims yoda yard.. kimmel i might just buy your spare if its for sale.

J Kimmel
12-16-2010, 06:28 PM
negative ghost rider, as soon as I sell it I will need it!

of course I will sell my 35 spline hubs!

TIMZTOY
12-16-2010, 06:32 PM
dont need hubs unless its to make my rear full floater. :thumb: