PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Snow and Pizza Run, Jan. 15th - Yankee Hill

JadeRunner
12-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Date: Saturday Jan. 15th, 2011
Meeting Time: 9:00 am - Leave at 9:30

Meeting Place: Cemetery area half mile above (west) of Central City-the normal spot. Meet for Pizza at Crook's Palace in Blackhawk after the run. Around 4:30-5:30pm. $5.00 Pizza donation per adult to help offset costs please.

CB Channel 4 - Ham 146460
Will will air down and/or chain up (if your using chains) at the meeting place. Many elect to not use chains.

Larger built rigs with winches can leave ahead of the main group closer to 9am. This should be a fairly small group.

Difficulty - this run is open to everyone. You just may not get as far as some. The only requirement is to have hard points front and rear for strapping purposes and of course a strap ready to go. A shovel and additional recovery gear is recommended.

Be prepared to stay warm and dry with winter clothing and boots. It can be really cold and windy up there.

Snow conditions are pretty normal so far. It should be similar to last year. But, we probably won't make it all the over this time due to large wind blown drifts near the top.

Here are a few tips based on previous snow runs put together by Leiniesred

#1 Be safe. Be situational aware of the danger zones around winch lines and snatch straps. There is a lot of mass and sometimes a lot of velocity involved in these recoveries.
#2 Air down. I mean way down. Not lose a bead low, but as close as you can get it. Me? I run 5-7 psi on my early 4runner.
#3 Bring a shovel with a long handle for reaching under the trucks.
#4 Stay hydrated. Wheelin' with a headache sucks.
#5 Line up with similar weight and build level trucks. Biggest to smallest with a sturdy anchor truck in the rear works best.
#6 This is an all day event. Come prepared. There is no gas station in Blackhawk! If you come up the creek, there is a gas station about 7 miles before Blackhawk on the LEFT. Can't miss it. If you take the Central City parkway, go into Idaho Springs for fuel. I've burned 8 gallons in 10 miles of brutal snow wheeling.
#7 There are two ways to snow wheel. First, try super slow and try to stay on top of the snow. Once the crust is broken, you will want to go as fast as you can without hitting the trees. You'll need momentum to make it though many sections.
#8 WORK THE WHEEL! As you start to bog down, rapidly steer left and right. This will keep the tires biting into fresh snow on the sides of the ruts and widen the path for the rear wheels to follow in too.
#9 When you feel the revs kick up when you are not moving, you are PROBABLY done. No need to keep spinning the tires. That just makes it harder to get out.
#10 Have a good attitude and it'll be a lot more fun.

The owner of Crooks told me if their parking spots are full( about 25 spots) then we could park up the hill further in a few parking areas that don't get used. See map.

http://www.yodertech.com/4x4/Crooks.jpg

FJBRADY
12-15-2010, 02:22 PM
In.....Orion shake down run. :thumb:

Air Randy
12-15-2010, 02:56 PM
Dee and I are in

Dr. Schlegs
12-15-2010, 04:17 PM
See you there.

Nay
12-15-2010, 06:07 PM
We're in.

With the snow along the Divide this year, is Yankee getting totally buried? Will have to bring kids sleds this year :thumb:

RedCreeper
12-15-2010, 06:28 PM
I maybe in also. Will see how the next few weeks goes and if i am brave enough to run the Jeep with a blessed top.

J Kimmel
12-15-2010, 06:42 PM
sounds like fun :) very last minute for me, depends on the weather :)

MDH33
12-16-2010, 07:19 AM
I have been working up around Central City/Pickle Gulch the last few weekends and there is zero snow right now. But, things change fast.

JadeRunner
12-16-2010, 05:18 PM
I had a few hours available this morning so I skipped up there. Indeed no snow down low. But, as usually there is more and more as you go up. 4-6 inches in the trees starting out then more starting above the middle parking lot with drifts. I made it to the playground area but didn't try busting the "play drift" since I was by myself and didn't feel like winching if I got stuck. I heard Treeroot and Uncleben coming up so I left that for them and turned around. They probably made all the way over Yankee Hill.

It looks like a similar year to last year so far. Should be good.

jacdaw
12-16-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm in but I want to ride co-dawg with someone.

Uncle Ben
12-16-2010, 06:13 PM
I had a few hours available this morning so I skipped up there. Indeed no snow down low. But, as usually there is more and more as you go up. 4-6 inches in the trees starting out then more starting above the middle parking lot with drifts. I made it to the playground area but didn't try busting the "play drift" since I was by myself and didn't feel like winching if I got stuck. I heard Treeroot and Uncleben coming up so I left that for them and turned around. They probably made all the way over Yankee Hill.

It looks like a similar year to last year so far. Should be good.

No....no we didn't. :rolleyes: We made it to the upper playground and the drifts are thier usual wincing profile from there. Mike and I were very lucky we had Ken in his near stock 40 with us to pull us out! :lmao: Spectacular day but spooky to see so little snow this time of year!

RockRunner
12-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Lots of wrenching and welding to do but we may make it. Jeremy got more parts today.

Air Randy
12-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Lots of wrenching and welding to do but we may make it. Jeremy got more parts today.

It would be REALLY NICE if I had another knuckle stud, cone washer, etc so I could put the Gecko back together for the snow run too. If it's nice enough Dee and I may take Meany so we can bust the big trail, but you could take the Gecko if your rig isn't driveable by then BUT ONLY IF WE GET THE PARTS FOR IT :D

RockRunner
12-17-2010, 11:28 AM
It would be REALLY NICE if I had another knuckle stud, cone washer, etc so I could put the Gecko back together for the snow run too. If it's nice enough Dee and I may take Meany so we can bust the big trail, but you could take the Gecko if your rig isn't driveable by then BUT ONLY IF WE GET THE PARTS FOR IT :D

Working on it, I am really forgetful lately but will order it now. Thanks Would love to use the Gecko if mine is DOA

Old40Dog
12-18-2010, 07:56 AM
We'll be there. :wav: Not sure which rig yet. :eek: Likely 4-5 in our group.

Red_Chili
12-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Likely there!

Bruiser
12-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Well, since we live up here right now it is hard to say we can't make.

Justin

74fj40
12-23-2010, 02:20 PM
If some one has an open seat, I would love to ride!

srptoy
12-24-2010, 09:16 AM
my wife and I are in. looking forward to playing in the snow.

Air Randy
12-24-2010, 11:00 AM
sounds like fun :) very last minute for me, depends on the weather :)

Don't be a wuss :D Dee and I are going to take Meany regardless of the weather. Were just going to wear our full snowmobile outfits :thumb:

farnhamstj
12-27-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm planning on making it again this year.

RockRunner
12-27-2010, 08:33 PM
I am getting closer to saying yes............:thumb:

Snowrun
01-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I am in. Check out this snow run teaser video..
lrobhDCZbwM

farnhamstj
01-04-2011, 08:33 AM
That vid makes me glad I have heated seats.

Uncle Ben
01-04-2011, 09:19 AM
That vid makes me glad I have heated seats.

Me too!

RedCreeper
01-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Not sure if you guys no but i think Front Range will be up there also. They are planning to come from the other side i think. Just a FYI. Going to be a fun day with lots of rigs maybe....

I am still planning to be there. No seats in the J____ right now but working on it.

Air Randy
01-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Not sure if you guys no but i think Front Range will be up there also. They are planning to come from the other side i think. Just a FYI. Going to be a fun day with lots of rigs maybe....

I am still planning to be there. No seats in the J____ right now but working on it.

It's a Jeep, sit on a bucket :D

RedCreeper
01-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Doing that now thank you. Need a upgrade:p:

Air Randy
01-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Doing that now thank you. Need a upgrade:p:

Your comment reminded me, I have some seats to get rid of. Check out the for sale section.

RedCreeper
01-04-2011, 05:54 PM
I looked but not there. A neighbor got rid of a set of nice buckets. not sure from what so i am left trying to get the brackets made. almost done with one side.....

Jacket
01-04-2011, 07:04 PM
I'm planning on coming.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-04-2011, 08:52 PM
I am in fo sho!

Rock Dog
01-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Just may show up in my old "Red" fj40 affectionatly known as "Rusty"...
The windshield in the Runner is new (after that tree branch jumped in front of me last year), and i would like to keep it that way through the spring and summer :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

waggoner5
01-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Pretty sure Shelby and I are in.

TIMZTOY
01-08-2011, 11:47 AM
id be in if it were sunday :rant:

FJBRADY
01-08-2011, 01:50 PM
id be in if it were sunday :rant:

Post your own run on Sunday. I am sure there are others in the same boat as you.....only difference would be the Pizza will not be free, boo yah.

It could read like this:

Timzzz Pizzzaless Snowz runz on Sundayz

JadeRunner
01-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Nothin' wrong with that idea. I could ease the traffic on Sat.

Post your own run on Sunday. I am sure there are others in the same boat as you.....only difference would be the Pizza will not be free, boo yah.

It could read like this:

Timzzz Pizzzaless Snowz runz on Sundayz

FJBRADY
01-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Larger built rigs with winches can leave ahead of the main group closer to 9am.

Allright, who is planning on being in the lead pack?:drumsticks:

RockRunner
01-09-2011, 07:40 PM
If all works out I'll be a part of that :D Need some axles and other parts but all should be well :eek:

JadeRunner
01-10-2011, 01:23 AM
Hope you can get it together and make it to the run Tom. I'm counting on you to maintain radio contact in the front group again.

If all works out I'll be a part of that :D Need some axles and other parts but all should be well :eek:

Air Randy
01-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Were taking the Mule so we can run with the lead pack, it has both CB and HAM.

JadeRunner
01-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Ok, sounds good Randy

Were taking the Mule so we can run with the lead pack, it has both CB and HAM.

FJBRADY
01-10-2011, 11:51 AM
It would be REALLY NICE if I had another knuckle stud, cone washer, etc you could take the Gecko by then BUT ONLY IF WE GET THE PARTS FOR IT :D

Don't be a wuss :D Dee and I are going to take Meany regardless of the weather. Were just going to wear our full snowmobile outfits :thumb:

Were taking the Mule

Just reread the thread and I wanted to recap Randy's snipets....I love the "It's a Jeep, sit on a bucket".

Should be a fun day. :thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
01-10-2011, 01:58 PM
If I can get my act together, I could follow the lead group in my 35s and I have HAM..

RedCreeper
01-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Just reread the thread and I wanted to recap Randy's snipets....I love the "It's a Jeep, sit on a bucket".

Buckets almost removed TY.....

Thanks Randy.

Air Randy
01-10-2011, 02:31 PM

Kenny can get rid of the galvanized bucket and install the velour bucket, but he'll still be sitting on a bucket :D

Turns out we have to take the Mule instead of Meany. I stuck a new D60 under the front of Meany with 5.13's in it. I have a new 5.13 R&P for the rear 14 bolt but won't have time to install it by Saturday.

The Gecko is on it's way to a 4x4 event in Texas with Justin, so it looks like it's up to the old Mule to carry the load.

RedCreeper
01-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Kenny can get rid of the galvanized bucket and install the velour bucket, but he'll still be sitting on a bucket :D

Turns out we have to take the Mule instead of Meany. I stuck a new D60 under the front of Meany with 5.13's in it. I have a new 5.13 R&P for the rear 14 bolt but won't have time to install it by Saturday.

The Gecko is on it's way to a 4x4 event in Texas with Justin, so it looks like it's up to the old Mule to carry the load.

GEE THANKS!!!

You never know Woodstock may be there to help a mule see it threw.....:eek:

lets hope she dont heat up....

Now i have to get er done....

farnhamstj
01-10-2011, 04:15 PM
I'm happy to head with the lead group. Large with winch. (oh, you ment large tires)Kenny, I'll bring you a toyota sticker for your jeep.

FJBRADY
01-10-2011, 04:24 PM
lets hope she dont heat up....

:bolt:

Air Randy
01-10-2011, 04:33 PM
lets hope she dont heat up....or break a drive shaft....or lose the brakes........or stop running.......or have the transfer case fall out........

Now i have to get er done....

You left a few things out :D

RedCreeper
01-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Thanks for adding to my checklist....

I have a good place for that toyota sticker.

And just to add to everyones pickin session dont look like i will be able to fix the ac pump by then, still looking for its replacement so is there a airpump close at the end of the day? near the pizza spot? and I dont mean the hot air kind...

And last but not least looks like i may have a open seat if anyone is brave.... or open galvanized bucket can so randy understands what i am talkin bout.

aspenbugle
01-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Ok...so what does a newbie have to do to be involved? I'd be interested in playing this weekend if possible. Do I have to attend a meeting or something first? I'm a CO native and have been a lurker here for a while, but thought I may bite the bullet and get involved this weekend if possible. I have an 80 and a 100 series.

If there was a sticky for newbies I looked and missed it somehow.

Thanks in Advance,

Gary

FJBRADY
01-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Ok...so what does a newbie have to do to be involved? I'd be interested in playing this weekend if possible. Do I have to attend a meeting or something first? I'm a CO native and have been a lurker here for a while, but thought I may bite the bullet and get involved this weekend if possible. I have an 80 and a 100 series.

If there was a sticky for newbies I looked and missed it somehow.

Thanks in Advance,

Gary

You are good to go. No membership required, we will see you in the parking lot Saturday morning.:thumb:

Caribou Sandstorm
01-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Look forward to meeting you AspenBugle!!!

Bruiser
01-12-2011, 08:33 AM
Central City Snow Update.......

Thought I would let you guys know that it snowed about 6 inches up here in Central City over the weekend. Not as much as you all got down in the city but still a nice blanket for our run this weekend. Additionally, the cold has kept people away so we should have some fresh snow to tromp through. The wind has not been strong the last few days but did pick up a little this morning. At higher elevations I am sure it is stronger so we could have a few good drifts to bash through.

Looking forward to it.

Justin

TonkaToy
01-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Justin,
I was hoping you would jump in with an update for us, we were wondering about the conditions upi there.
Thanks, looking forward to Saturday too.

RockRunner
01-12-2011, 10:15 AM
We may be out, the Habanero will not be ready on time :( We hit some setbacks and are a little tired of working late every night. The Gecko is out to Texas if Justin goes.

Jeremy kindly offered me his rig but with no top and heater it may make for a cold ride. It will be a last minute decision and I may be alone :p:

If all that fails we may try snow shoeing with the puppies and join you guys for pizza afterwords even though I don't know if I can take all the stories:(

So we'll see what happens :confused:

JadeRunner
01-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the update Justin. Sorry you can't make it Tom.

I'm going to update the first post tonight with a map with parking for Crooks and some reminder snow run tips from LeiniesRed.

Nay
01-12-2011, 11:17 AM
I have a great opportunity to ski this weekend staying in the High Country with friends, so we're unfortunately going to miss this run. It is one of my favorites each year - have a great time :beer:

JadeRunner
01-12-2011, 12:16 PM
I have a great opportunity to ski this weekend staying in the High Country with friends, so we're unfortunately going to miss this run. It is one of my favorites each year - have a great time :beer:

Have a great time Dave and sorry we will miss you this year.

Oh, and Kenny there isn't any air around except for the gas station about 7 miles downstream from Blackhawk. You can borrow my spare portable air compressor. It's not that fast but would do the job. Might be about 5 minutes a tire for you're big ones though. About the same speed as the coin ones I suppose.

RedCreeper
01-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Have a great time Dave and sorry we will miss you this year.

Oh, and Kenny there isn't any air around except for the gas station about 7 miles downstream from Blackhawk. You can borrow my spare portable air compressor. It's not that fast but would do the job. Might be about 5 minutes a tire for you're big ones though. About the same speed as the coin ones I suppose.

Thanks....

TonkaToy
01-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Kenny,
I have on board air as well. I am sure between us all, we can get you aired up again. Harbor Freight has got some great prices on their pumps too!

RedCreeper
01-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Kenny,
I have on board air as well. I am sure between us all, we can get you aired up again. Harbor Freight has got some great prices on their pumps too!

Thanks. I am not to worried, i know there will be air somewhere. Just like to put the word out just in case.

I already have on board air but the PO was misinformed on how to set it up and the last time or first time i went to use it the compressor went kablooweeee. Just need to replace the AC compressor and put a inline oiler on it. :rant:

FJCDan
01-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Hey Scott, Julie and I are in for this one. This will also be a shake down run for our dog Bogey to see how well he has heeled from his injuries. Dan

RedCreeper
01-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Dan,

Keep in mind there will be some bouncing around. Thinking of the pup. See you then....

FJCDan
01-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Dan,

Keep in mind there will be some bouncing around. Thinking of the pup. See you then....

He will be just fine, he lives for wheeling, he goes with us all the time.

Uncle Ben
01-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Dan,

Geeze Kenny.......it's not like he's driving a J**p! :eek::lmao::lmao::p:

RedCreeper
01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Tell Alexis that when she bounced her head off the C pillar of the FJC last year. DOH!

Uncle Ben
01-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Tell Alexis that when she bounced her head off the C pillar of the FJC last year. DOH!

Driver error? ;)

RockRunner
01-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Good news we're back in again :D Going to run Jeremy's rig in doing so we will be going topless............get your minds out of the gutter:p:

We will be with the first group so I need to ask a big favor, if Sharon gets really cold can she find a seat in one of your warm vehicles?? PLEASE:D

I am sure I will get cold to and may ask for a few minutes of warm air, I am a baby when it comes to the cold.:(

See ya all there and hope for a beautiful WARM day.:thumb:

RedCreeper
01-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Driver error? ;)

As one wise one once said....

If moving forward.... DONT GET OFF OF IT! :bowdown:

No error made. Just unexpected.

Uncle Ben
01-13-2011, 10:14 PM

If moving forward.... DONT GET OFF OF IT! :bowdown:

No error made. Just unexpected.

:cool::D

FJCDan
01-14-2011, 08:13 AM
Geeze Kenny.......it's not like he's driving a J**p! :eek::lmao::lmao::p:

Did't you know what the C was for FJCadillac:):)

FJBRADY
01-14-2011, 08:27 AM

Confusious?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucius

Jacket
01-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Weather forecast is for sunny skies and mile temps. It'll be a great day for some snow bashing!! :clap::party:

RedCreeper
01-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Confusious?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucius

yeah i know i am Japanese.....

JadeRunner
01-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Glad you can make it Tom and she's a trooper for going with you.

Sharon can squeeze in us. I will have my brother and his girlfriends son jack with me again. So there will be one seat in the back available. We are bringing a sled for Jack in case we find a sledding spot again.

Good news we're back in again :D Going to run Jeremy's rig in doing so we will be going topless............get your minds out of the gutter:p:

We will be with the first group so I need to ask a big favor, if Sharon gets really cold can she find a seat in one of your warm vehicles?? PLEASE:D

I am sure I will get cold to and may ask for a few minutes of warm air, I am a baby when it comes to the cold.:(

See ya all there and hope for a beautiful WARM day.:thumb:

FJBRADY
01-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Sharon can squeeze in us.

Yeah or we can toss her in the back of the Fouhtay which will be only slightly warmer than a convertable, but it has the rockin tunes and quicks under the hood.:drumsticks:

Or rumour has it that our new Commander will be on the run and there should be room in the back seat. :puppykisses:

RockRunner
01-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks guys, I know she will appreciate it. She is bringing her snow shoes to play around on. Also if she gets cold she can put those on and warm up exercising.

Are all of you going to be in the lead group?

JadeRunner
01-14-2011, 01:25 PM
Of course I will be in the main 9:30 departure group.

I am not opposed to to front groups if people are well prepared and ready to go early. Park up in the front west side of the parking area if your interested. We have plenty of veterans around and the idea is a small group (or two) up front that can move quickly and stay ahead. That will be maximum fun for them.

84cruzer
01-14-2011, 01:52 PM
.........take lots of pictures for those of us that can't make it. Family coming to town tomorrow, so I will be armchair wheeling vicariously through RS. :hill:

JadeRunner
01-14-2011, 04:20 PM
To clarify further. If you are prepared with a HAM radio and want to take some people exploring down one of the many side roads go for it. Just stay in communication with me and be responsible for your group. Many have done that in the past and have had a blast.

I'm heading up to Blackhawk (Ameristar) for the night with Tina and a few other couples. See you at the trailhead.

FJBRADY
01-14-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm heading up to Blackhawk (Ameristar) for the night with Tina and a few other couples. See you at the trailhead.

Right on :thumb: that's the way to be. See you in the morning!

84cruzer
01-15-2011, 10:30 PM
.................Anyone?:hill:

Snowrun
01-15-2011, 10:47 PM
.................Anyone?:hill:

:DXvw8xK1opz8&feature=feedu

84cruzer
01-15-2011, 11:33 PM
YeeeeeHaaaaa!!!!!:hill: