PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for cookout spot with some challenge!

Red_Chili
05-26-2006, 09:47 AM
It's a family tradition to cook breakfast in the mountains on holidays like Memorial Day. It's been rather a snoozer from my perspective, but at least it's in the woods... <small violin playing>
:campfire:
So thinks I, why not take the path less travelled to get to the cooking spot, hmmmm??? The last time I took my bro/sis in laws wheeling was 20 years ago, and it was not the most pleasant of experiences. OK, I was a dunce.

So anyone have any ideas for close-in, short somewhat challenging wheeling sections leading to a good cooking spot? I was thinking the lower part of Bill Moore, take the sluice up (my wife would drive her 4Runner, she will make it though she doesn't know that yet... :eek: ) and cook at one of the switchbacks above (though that one is likely to be busy, and I was just there). Or Spring Creek, but that might be a little unpleasantly long before breakfast and my wife will freak in the Rock Garden... or....

If Argentine wasn't under 4' of snow or more (most likely), that would be a good choice... Ideas? I'm kinda stumped.

Hulk
05-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Slaughterhouse Gulch (near Bailey) might be a good option too. Nothing too difficult, and you could do your cookout in the meadow at the bottom, or the overlook that we always stop at shortly after the fun whoop-de-woos.

Red_Chili
05-26-2006, 11:39 AM
My bride also suggested an evening BBQ with just our family - but of course wheeling alone.... Hmmm, been wanting to do a night run up Spring Creek, mebbe Sunday night? Just some thoughts...

Crux
05-26-2006, 11:40 AM
We ran yankee hill last weekend and it had some great views of the mtns near st. mary's glacier
________
MILF BUSTY (http://www.****tube.com/categories/769/busty/videos/1)

nakman
05-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Mammoth Gulch is also good.. a little lower than Rollins Pass so it's typically open by this time. You many not be able to make it all the way up & over Kingston Peak to come down Fall River Rd, but there are some nice camp sites only a few miles up the road outside Tolland.

edit: oh, the challenge would be when you encounter snow. You can drive the road itself in a Subaru.