PDA

View Full Version : Automotive service lifts

OilHammer
12-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Okay, so I hijacked another thread in the tech section, so I decided it was better to post here instead.

For those of you who don't know me, I was importing diesel engines from Japan for years. Got out of it when the economy took a dive b/c the costs went way up Yen to Dollar and most people just didn't want to drop 5-8k on a used engine during that time.

So....using what I learned about shipping, my customs brokers, my off shore accounts, etc, I was thinking about starting to import some "shop" stuff.
Personally, I want to build a double decker garage with 2 four post lifts that will drop a car to the basement and allow another to be parked on top. :thumb:

I'm looking at buying a bunch of lifts and bringing them in. For my purpose, I really need a 4 poster, but a 2 post probably works better for most of you. From the early numbers I'm receiving, I think the final cost could be right at a grand for each lift.

How many people would be interested, and what type would you want? We don't need to standardize the configuration as long as everything is from the same manufacturer.

Old40Dog
12-27-2010, 11:38 PM
I'd be interested in one at that price range. Likely a 4 post with the casters, but would like to know the price difference for a 2 post too. Need to be able to lift an 80.

Also interested in a 1HDT sometime next year if you have any ideas on that it would be appreciated too.

Air Randy
12-28-2010, 09:30 AM
9,000 or 10,000 lb rated 2 post lift with clear floor (top brace) and symmetric lift arms. I don't care what brand it is as long as it is not cheap junk thats going to break. I can get a US made 2 post lift as described above, delivered, for $2200. The same company sells the cheapy one for $1300. You also need to make sure whatever you get is ALI certified (for home insurance purposes) and you can get parts for it if needed.

Corbet has a used one too. If it's in decent shape I may go that route.