PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: FJ80 Front axle...

Haku
12-28-2010, 03:12 AM
Looking to go wider with my setup, and figure the FJ80 axle is a good way to go without going nuts with a 1 ton axle or such. Some cool stuff coming out for them soon too, so thats a plus.

I pretty much need everything but the 3rd member, though I'll take that too. My Mini-Truck axle has the High Pinion E-locker in it, so I'll just swap it over. I need the rest though.

Looking for pickup only, though I'll travel a bit. Not looking to spend a ton, so a good deal would be nice. Let me know if you have something with a PM. I've talked to YodaJim's already, but wanted to see if I could find a better deal.

Josh

nakman
12-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Do you want it without the locker then, since you don't need the third? I see quite a few 80's for sale now for next to nothing, like $2k.. you could drive the axles to your house for about the same cost as just the axles. But then you'd have an 80 to part out..

Air Randy
12-28-2010, 08:37 AM
Looking to go wider with my setup, and figure the FJ80 axle is a good way to go without going nuts with a 1 ton axle or such. Some cool stuff coming out for them soon too, so thats a plus.

I pretty much need everything but the 3rd member, though I'll take that too. My Mini-Truck axle has the High Pinion E-locker in it, so I'll just swap it over. I need the rest though.

Looking for pickup only, though I'll travel a bit. Not looking to spend a ton, so a good deal would be nice. Let me know if you have something with a PM. I've talked to YodaJim's already, but wanted to see if I could find a better deal.

Josh

Don't hold your breath on the "imminent" release of the HD knuckle balls either. Their web site has said that for almost 2 years now. I think they're having trouble figuring out how to mass produce them and still keep the price in a reasonable range.

Haku
12-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Don't hold your breath on the "imminent" release of the HD knuckle balls either. Their web site has said that for almost 2 years now. I think they're having trouble figuring out how to mass produce them and still keep the price in a reasonable range.

The thing I'm more excited about is this.....

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o285/trialsintrigger/IMAG0086-1.jpg

Hellfire seems to be working seriously hard on getting these out and it will be a pretty significant upgrade, both in strength and finally having a semi affordable high steer kit for these. I could be wrong on that though, since he hasn't released Mind you, that is only the prototype and doesn't have all the machining done to it yet.

I'm still hoping that Ruffstuff will come through, but I'm not holding my breath that it will be soon. It sounds like they are having issues with their machinist being overly thorough, but have so much into it with him that its not worth starting over with another machinist. It is a bummer that since they started that, Trail Gear has created them for their housings but won't sell them seperately for people to install in other axles.

I don't want to buy a new vehicle just for the axles. $2k is waaaay too much to spend for me on this right now. I could get a pair of these from YodaJim's for $800 or so. Less at a Upull, but I went to three of them in Denver yesterday and didn't see a single Landcruiser of any model (Colorado, Western, and the old place next to Colorado).

I'm only really wanting to get the front one right now, since I am about to 3 link the front of my rig. It would be really nice to have the extra width that the Fj80 axle provides. I know it would be a bit wonky having the narrow rear axle in with a wider one, but I'll deal. Figured the RS guys might have line on one sitting in someones garage unused. We'll just put it this way, if I'm going to spend $2k on axles, it won't be fore stock FJ80 ones. :D

Dr. Schlegs
12-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Try the yoda yard on Walnut. They have a few 80's

Haku
12-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Try the yoda yard on Walnut. They have a few 80's

Just called, they don't have a complete FJ80 axle there. I tend to favor Jim's though, since they have more stuff and have been nothing but helpful every time I go there. I actually just talked to them too, and they don't have one complete either. They do have one that is complete from spindle to spindle minus the 3rd member. I might go with that, but I'll have to find all the stuff outside of the spindle if I do that. So I'll keep looking. I'm sure there is one that is complete hub to hub somewhere, I just have to find it. That is assuming I don't change my mind again and go with something else.

Bikeman
12-28-2010, 03:54 PM
I was going to get a complete e locked axle assembly from Irbis, but didn't want to pay $900 for it. The cost would be offset if i could find a home for my non-lokered recently-rebuilt complete axle, but it would have to be a few hundred to do so. You would also have to redrill and relocate some studs for your 3rd but some say it's no big deal.

Haku
01-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Ok, so now I'm thinking that I want to go with a Fabricated housing instead. But I do want to go with FJ/FZJ 80 knuckles and such. Anyone have a dead axle I can get the parts from? I guess I would just need everything except the housing itself including the knuckle balls. A bent housing or such is fine as long as the rest is intact.

Air Randy
01-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Ok, so now I'm thinking that I want to go with a Fabricated housing instead. But I do want to go with FJ/FZJ 80 knuckles and such. Anyone have a dead axle I can get the parts from? I guess I would just need everything except the housing itself including the knuckle balls. A bent housing or such is fine as long as the rest is intact.

So now you are on the "slippery slope" of front axles. You can go spend a lot of money on Diamonds or some other after market housing, spend the dough on the new HD knuckles, Longfield birfs and axles, Skye widening kits, etc. You gain the extra width but the strength is roughly the same as any other built Toyota axle. If/when you do break something you are paying higher prices for parts and waiting longer to get them. And you have an axle that is still not quite as strong as a stock Dana 60, which are not too difficult to find and no harder to install than an extra wide diamond. Probably cheaper too.

On the other hand, I understand the desire to keep Toyota stuff in the drive train. Have you considered using an FJ60 front axle? Aren't they about the same width as the 80 axles and a lot easier to find?

I think you missed Nakman's point about buying a used 80 for 2K. You can probably part out the rest of the body, interior and drive train to recover all or most of your 2K investment, then you get to keep the axles for free.

coax
01-05-2011, 12:26 PM
I see quite a few 80's for sale now for next to nothing, like $2k.. you could drive the axles to your house for about the same cost as just the axles. But then you'd have an 80 to part out..

Here's one for 1800. I bet you may be able to bargain down since its not running. I guess since its a 92 it would have the smaller brakes on the front though? :dunno: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2145075976.html

Hulk
01-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Here's one for 1800. I bet you may be able to bargain down since its not running. I guess since its a 92 it would have the smaller brakes on the front though? :dunno: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2145075976.html

1992 won't have diff locks or a full-floating rear axle. Those started in 1993.

Haku
01-05-2011, 12:40 PM
So now you are on the "slippery slope" of front axles. You can go spend a lot of money on Diamonds or some other after market housing, spend the dough on the new HD knuckles, Longfield birfs and axles, Skye widening kits, etc. You gain the extra width but the strength is roughly the same as any other built Toyota axle. If/when you do break something you are paying higher prices for parts and waiting longer to get them. And you have an axle that is still not quite as strong as a stock Dana 60, which are not too difficult to find and no harder to install than an extra wide diamond. Probably cheaper too.

On the other hand, I understand the desire to keep Toyota stuff in the drive train. Have you considered using an FJ60 front axle? Aren't they about the same width as the 80 axles and a lot easier to find?

I think you missed Nakman's point about buying a used 80 for 2K. You can probably part out the rest of the body, interior and drive train to recover all or most of your 2K investment, then you get to keep the axles for free.

I'm going 3 link no matter what, so widening kits aren't needed. I went and hung out with Joe and Ben from Slee, at TJ's place last night and saw what they had going on. TJ is going to 1 tons, but both Ben and Joe have been nothing but happy with their Diamond housings with 80 outers. I know they aren't as burly as the Dana 60 option, but I think they will more then suffice for my use.

My goal is to have a rig I can drive at reasonable speed to the trails with the 22re I already have. Adding twice the weight in axles, which really need 40" tires to be worth it clearace wise, just isn't in the cards right now.

Frankly, parting out a LC isn't in the cards either. I'd love to do it, but I don't have the space to do it right now. I'm a renter, and my landlord has already displayed displeasure when I was pulling and re-installing the engine over the summer. Dismantling a rig is even more ugly.

Ben's comment that using the existing FJ80 housing is just not worth it, since by the time you cut all the coil, stock panhard, and other brackets off and do the welding for the links mounts and such on it, its going to be warped and bent and you'll need to replace it anyways.

So far my only qualm with the Mini-Truck axle is its too narrow, and it doesn't steer as tight as I would want. The FJ80 stuff solves both of those issues, though it does make for a more complicated steering setup. The slee setup is really nice looking and strong, but its spendy too and almost doubles the cost of the axle.

Dern it, deciding what I want to do is very hard in this area. Every time I think I have decided what I want, someone says something or I have another idea.

Haku
01-05-2011, 12:49 PM

I definitely want the FZJ axles. That is the Russian dude over in Aurora too. I went over and talked to him yesterday about getting an axle and he's on the expensive side of reasonable. Not sure how much I would get it for, but it is kind of occuring to me that it might be worth getting a cheap rig that runs, take the axles, and then call Colorado Auto and Parts or Upull and see what they want for the whole rest of the vehicle.

Either that, or just do the 3 link using the axle I have already and wait till I find a killer deal on a different axle. Kind of leaning that way at the moment, but as I said before that changes about 8 times a day.

Edit: I just talked to Colorado Auto Parts and they said they would only give me $200 for the whole rest of the vehicle minus the axles, picked up at my place. Thats not really enough to make this worth my while, so I would have to part the thing out myself and thats not really in the cards.

ajax
01-05-2011, 05:55 PM
call merl at classic cruisers he had a few last time i was there in salida, be sure to sit when talkin, he isnt cheap but u may be able to trade or talk him down

Haku
01-05-2011, 06:03 PM
cool....thanks for that idea too. "Isn't cheap" is not what I'm looking for, but you never know.

Went to Yota Yard today and had a poke around. There is one axle there that is complete except for 1 brake rotor and both brake calipers. Its a pre-abs version, but might still be worth it for what he wants. You would think that someone who runs a Toyota Junk Yard would know what I mean when I say FJ80, but he had no clue until I pointed at the Landcruiser.

ajax
01-05-2011, 06:32 PM
he has prob 100plus at least landcruisers out in the yard, he had some 80s last time i was there with axles and some axles just layin round should have one

AxleIke
01-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Just to throw another opinion out there.

Ben runs big ass tires, big power and BEATS his stuff. The 80 outters, 9.5, and pinion brace all make sense for the way he drives his stuff.

For anything less than 42's, the main reason to run 80 series stuff is to run an 80 series axle: Width and strength without the cost of a Diamond. If you are willing to pony up for the diamond, cool, but those 80 outters will go LONG, LONG, LONG after the measly 8" diff will. The mini stuff is cheaper, by a lot.

My opinion is to either run the diamond with your current diff and mini truck outters, or run a 9.5 with the 80 outters.

I too will be running the hellfire knuckles, but just a stock axle.

Anyway, just the .02 of another web wheeler. The 30 spl longs will hold up to 40's easy with the mini stuff.

Haku
01-05-2011, 10:45 PM
After looking at a few things, I'm kind of leaning towards just running the stock FJ80 axle now with the HP 8" Elocker I already have (My mini-truck axle was updated for it). I really want the wide width, and can deal with having the tie rod behind the axle. I can handle waiting for the hellfire setup too, or if that doesn't work out getting a RHD arm and going in front or even getting the Slee setup.

I had a good talk with Ben about it last night and he seems happy with his setup. I would probably go that direction if I go with a fabbed axle (i.e. 9.5" 3rd with a detroit or ARB).

Finding an axle is just a matter of seeing who has the best price. I suspect it does, but not sure. Think I might try and talk the Russian dude in Aurora down, since I can get such a good deal at Yota Yard.

A few questions I have are does the non abs spindle and wheel hub bolt onto a ABS knuckle housing? The other question is, are the brake calipers mounts from the non-abs "small brake" version of the axle compatible with my mini-truck calipers and rotors? I suspect they might be, since I've heard a Mini SFA lockout hub bolts onto the wheel hub, though I know there is an issue with the stub shaft not being long enough. I looked all over IH8mud for the answers to these questions and couldn't find anything.

At the end of the day, with 37" tires and a rig that weighs a ton or more less then an FJ80, this is a good option for going wider without having to sacrifice diff clearance. It also works out, since am getting a screaming deal on a early Tundra rear axle, which we measured at being 66" WMS to WMS. I just have to get a 5.29 ring and pinion for it, which works out since the ring and pinion that is in it is toast. It came out of a buggy and was replaced by a Diamond axle with a 9.5" LC 3rd. Should be good.

Josh

DanS
01-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Did you go to Jim's Yota Yard? www.jimsgotparts.com

99% sure there was an FZJ-80 there a couple weeks ago with the axles still under it...

Dan

Haku
01-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Did you go to Jim's Yota Yard? www.jimsgotparts.com

99% sure there was an FZJ-80 there a couple weeks ago with the axles still under it...

Dan

Yep, was there today. He only has two FJ80 front axles there and both are non-abs, one is just a housing with knuckle housings on it, and the other is just a housing with only a spindle and knuckle housing on one side and wheel hub spindle and housing on the other, but it does have birfs in it still. Neither had a 3rd member, but thats no biggy.

So far the best deal for a mostly complete axle is Yota Yard or the Russian dude at Quality Auto Parts or whatever in Aurora. Yota Yard didn't even bat an eye when I offered $300 for his, which is a complete non-abs axle except one rotor and no brake calipers (hence my previous question of whether my mini-truck calipers and/or rotors will fit on there). It does have an open 3rd member and he'll pull it out for me.

Russian guy wants $500 for an ABS axle with everything except a 3rd member. I'm leaning towards going with that, since it will give me bigger brakes, the knuckle housing that would work with the Slee hi-steer, and a slightly longer stub shaft that will work with my SFA axle hubs. Still hoping to knock him down on price, but we'll see.

I'll try that Cruiser yard in Salida tomorrow too, though it sounds like he thinks he's sitting on a gold mine up there.

Clint Z
01-06-2011, 01:22 PM
I have beat on my truck hard with 35's and have run 37's with no ill effect on my axles. i have a stock geared locked 94 LC. I do not think you will have any problems with 37's under a light rig.

I picked up an 86 4runner and will be going the same route in the future.

Clint:)

J Kimmel
01-06-2011, 05:56 PM
you're putting waaaay too much thought into this dude :)

who cares about the bigger brakes, the small ones will still be an upgrade for you, you aren't going to beat on it as hard as Ben or TJ anytime soon.

as far as tons, I ran them for two years on 37's and it was just fine, and it ran a smooth 75 to the trails too...did it drag? yes, but the pros FAR FAR FAR outweigh the cons :)

If I was you I would just get a diamond housing and swap over your existing parts, you are not too much more into it than dorking around with trying to get an 80 front to work, and you're over thinking breaking stuff...and you haven't even started building links :eek:

good luck!

TIMZTOY
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM

who cares about the bigger brakes, the small ones will still be an upgrade for you, you aren't going to beat on it as hard as Ben or TJ anytime soon.

as far as tons, I ran them for two years on 37's and it was just fine, and it ran a smooth 75 to the trails too...did it drag? yes, but the pros FAR FAR FAR outweigh the cons :)

If I was you I would just get a diamond housing and swap over your existing parts, you are not too much more into it than dorking around with trying to get an 80 front to work, and you're over thinking breaking stuff...and you haven't even started building links :eek:

good luck!

smack.....:lmao:

J Kimmel
01-06-2011, 10:30 PM
sorry didn't mean it to come across like that...:o

just mean that you're over thinking it, we can get e-overload pretty easily! don't try and re-invent the wheel, but there is a balance between fumbling around trying to save a buck or just spend a little extra and get something you won't have to replace in 6 months:)

been there done that :(

nakman
01-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I must say, this has turned into the most enjoyable tech thread.. carry on! :beer2:

Haku
01-07-2011, 02:29 AM

good luck!

Yeah.....welcome to life with Haku. I tend to overthink most things, but thats my cross to bare. It kind of comes across in my posts aye?

I think I've decided what I want to do. I think I'm going to go with the FJ axle from Yota Yard, and upgrade to the bigger brakes from an FZJ80. This gives me the best of both worlds, and Joe from Slee was pretty sure that the brakes from an ABS axle will bolt onto the knuckle mounts for the non-abs axle. Since I have to aquire calipers anyway, I might as well go with the bigger option.

I picked up some coilovers from Joe tonight, and will be getting his rear tundra axle that has a truss and 4 link brackets already on it. The "8.4" diff should be a good upgrade and it should all hold up fine with how I wheel. I'll probably be welding some spring pads on to it since I don't have the funds to get all the 4 link stuff yet. It will look a bit silly, but should hold up well. Kinda wish it was a full floater, but I'll live with a wider and stronger semi float 8" diff. For what he sold it to me for, it would be silly not to.

No worries on sounding like you were baggin on me, as I didn't see it that way either. I know I'm far from having anything like Ben or TJ's rig, and I'm sure I don't beat on stuff like they do. I've thought about the 1 ton axle direction, but it just doesn't suit me and I really can't afford it. Its hard to find locked 1 ton's with the right ring and pinion ratio for my current budget. For the price of a less then an ARB or about the same as a Detroit locker I can buy a new wider axle with all the guts and drop my e-locker in the front. My buddy Bryan has a K5 blazer with military Dana 60/14ff combo both with detroits and on 35" tires, and he is constantly hanging up on stuff with his diff so its just not worth it.

On another note, I might have a vehicle transport soon too, so I can worry less about daily driver stuff. I still want to keep it Road Legal, but I won't be having to worry about stuff on the highway as much.

Like I said, I'll probably go with a fabbed housing in the future. For now, these axles will do just fine and will be a good step towards an upgrade. 22" frame height, link suspension, 65ish inch WMS to WMS here I come. Knowing my pace and such it will be 6 months before that is done though :o

J Kimmel
01-07-2011, 07:56 AM
there you go :)

get it done!

RockRunner
01-08-2011, 11:38 PM
So did you buy this stuff and have it at home yet or is there still room for you to change your mind?

Do you have a budget? I never did see you say this is all I can afford at the time.

I have a build going right now that is nearing it's end. Using Diamonds with mini truck parts, cheaper easier available and strong enough for 40's.

It really seemed like you were all over the place but hopefully you got your stuff now and can start building.

What are you running now? Is this your DD or did you get that other car? With 66 WMS driving on the road will attract a lot of attention so flares and mud flaps would be a very strong suggestion. Mine is not a DD so no worries but just keep that in mind. Also if you think you can do this for $x and 50% DAMHIK.

Haku
01-09-2011, 12:00 AM
I've paid for both axles, but haven't gotten them home yet. One is waiting at Yota Yard and is still under a vehicle, and the other is still at AJ's place since I didn't have my truck when I payed for it (steering is torn apart).

This isn't my DD, and I only really use it for trail running. I'm not too worried about getting tickets even though I do live in Denver.

No idea what DAHMIK stands for, but I do have a budget and Diamonds are not in the cards right now. As of now I have about $400 in just the axles, and I have another couple hundred to spend on brake parts, rebuild kits and a Ring and Pinion for the rear axle. The good news is all of that is worth it in the end, since all of those parts are usable in a fabbed axle or increase the value for a resale at a later date. They should also be more then sufficient for my 37" tires.

Might sell the Mini-truck axles, or I might keep them for a later project. I'm using the 3rd member out the front one, so its worth less. It does have longfields in it though, so it might be worth something still. The rear is complete with an elocker too and newly rebuilt, so I might sell that. Haven't decided, but I think that alone would be pay for the two axles I bought.

So yeah, my path is set now. Have some work to do and more money to spend, but at least the path is clear.

Oh, and here is my rig as it sits right now....

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pVtlHb4F9LxixPoF2uCe-ik4ObJwrkUPfx0rnVp_D8FO297_084DYYphrOQYe-7-_cDw7do1Gdbd7hFff5Bm9Bg/5.jpg?psid=1

22re Engine
Dual Ultimate Transfer Cases
Front and Rear Elocker (HP Front and TRD rear) with 5.29 gears
37" Pitbull Rocker Radials on Recentered H1 Double Beadlock
Flatbed in Progress
Other stuff

In the process of putting the new axles in I will be doing a 3 link front suspension.

Uncle Ben
01-09-2011, 03:19 AM
No idea what DAHMIK stands for

DAMHIK = Don't Ask Me How I Know....

RockRunner
01-09-2011, 08:44 AM
So yeah, my path is set now. Have some work to do and more money to spend, but at least the path is clear.

Oh, and here is my rig as it sits right now....

http://public.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pVtlHb4F9LxixPoF2uCe-ik4ObJwrkUPfx0rnVp_D8FO297_084DYYphrOQYe-7-_cDw7do1Gdbd7hFff5Bm9Bg/5.jpg?psid=1

22re Engine
Dual Ultimate Transfer Cases
Front and Rear Elocker (HP Front and TRD rear) with 5.29 gears
37" Pitbull Rocker Radials on Recentered H1 Double Beadlock
Flatbed in Progress
Other stuff

In the process of putting the new axles in I will be doing a 3 link front suspension.

Did you notice you lost your bed?:lmao: Looks good now start fabbing, my build is nearly done and it was boring unless you like Diamonds and beautiful welds by Jeremy:thumb::thumb:

Jacket
01-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Nice truck! Chinaman Gulch?

Haku
01-10-2011, 12:46 AM
Nice truck! Chinaman Gulch?

Yessir, double stair.

Did you notice you lost your bed?:lmao: Looks good now start fabbing, my build is nearly done and it was boring unless you like Diamonds and beautiful welds by Jeremy:thumb::thumb:

Oh damn, where did it go? I'll have to go look for it. Hahaa....I actually sold the bed to FJCDan on here so it is in the hands of someone who needs it.

Yep, gotta clear some space for it to move into the garage so it is on a nice flat space. Probably should take it to the car wash first too, so I'm not getting dirt in my eyes while I'm fabbing. In theory the build should go quickly, but I said that about my engine build too and it took me much much longer then i was expecting.

Mods, if you want to move this to another forum or something I can change the title and make it more of a build thread, since this is getting more into "tech" territory.

I'm thinking about getting the spindles, hubs, etc off a rear FZJ80 axle so i can convert the rear axle to full float too, but that might be for another time. It really needs an axle jig system to make sure everything is straight, and that takes someone with a mill and lathe. The only person who I can think of that might have something like that is Brian up at Diamond/Frontrange, but I'm kind of doubting that he would go for it considering he is more then busy making stuff the stuff he sells. There is a due on Pirate that sells the kits for it, but its in the $300-500 range just for the parts of the jig system. Might be able to do it with some delrin and a lathe a bit easier and cheaper though. Anyone wanna help with that?

nakman
01-10-2011, 09:12 AM

Mods, if you want to move this to another forum or something I can change the title and make it more of a build thread, since this is getting more into "tech" territory.

It's up to you, doesn't really matter to me, the same 10 guys will post the same stuff no matter where the thread is :D. Maybe the traffic will help out the other for sale posts.. I'm good to just ride it out, start a more official "build thread" over in tech once you start building.

Nice truck! I like how the decals still line up with the different door..

Haku
01-10-2011, 02:54 PM
It's up to you, doesn't really matter to me, the same 10 guys will post the same stuff no matter where the thread is :D. Maybe the traffic will help out the other for sale posts.. I'm good to just ride it out, start a more official "build thread" over in tech once you start building.

Nice truck! I like how the decals still line up with the different door..

Fair enough. I'll just keep it here unless someone wants to move it. I don't really have a preference.

Yeah, decals are neat. I'll probably be painting it soonish too but nothing fancy. Just something so it doesn't look all cobbled together. I'm thinking the same color as the inside of my rims. Either will be rattle can or cheapo enamel paint done with a cheap HF air gun. Want it to be easy to touch up, since its gonna be "used and abused" once I get all this new stuff in.

Josh