PDA

View Full Version : International parcel shipping help

60wag
12-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Anyone here knowledgable in the area of international shipping?

I sell some stuff on eBay from time to time and a recent listing has generated a surprising amount of overseas interest. I've gotten shipping requests from Greece, UK and Estonia. I know its more of a hassle to do the shipment but if the buyer is willing to cover the cost, I'm not opposed to it.

It looks like central Europe is covered by USPS Priority Mail and I can ship a 40lb box for about 150$US. Estonia on the other hand is only listing USPS GXG (3 day delivery to Estonia) for around 700$US. -probably a deal killer but that's why I'm asking.

I'm also unclear on the forms that need to accompany the shipment. The USPS site has a lot of info to wade through but maybe I should be looking at some other shipper. TIA

nuclearlemon
12-30-2010, 01:45 PM
be cautious that it's not a scam using pirated credit card/paypal/money orders. thats been a big deal in truck parts.

rover67
12-30-2010, 01:56 PM
USPS has pretty $hitty tracking capabilities. It makes it easy for the seller to say it never got there and demand a refund or file a complaint. Just be careful.

sorry that probably does not do a whole lot to answer your original question.

Corbet
12-30-2010, 02:48 PM
You need delivery confirmation if you ever file a claim with Pay-pal fyi.

Personally I don't mess with anything other than Canada for Ebay sales. Fraud issues. Not worth the hassle IMO. For Canada FedEx ground has always been the most affordable for me. I've never got a quote over the pond so can't help there.

Inukshuk
12-30-2010, 03:33 PM
When I shipped a load of tools to Israel last year (77lbs+) ... as a gift .... I struggled to figure out how, eventually found a shipper based in FL that did it via DHL, and his price was better than I got direct from DHL. Door to door it cost $409. Info below.

Bob Reilly
International Department
MacroTransport Services
Direct Line: 386-671-4841
Fax: 321-206-8641
Email: BReilly@Macrotransport.com
Web: http://www.macrotransport.com

John
01-01-2011, 12:28 PM
I have done a lot of high value foreign sales over the last 20+ years,sometimes into the 100K area. The only safe transaction is by BANK WIRE. A guy out of country who declines to utilize a bank wire for a high value purchase is trouble . Cashiers checks must clear before proceeding because they can be canceled and if counterfeit can take weeks to bounce back. Same thing with foreign credit cards, never take them. Pay Pal is a mixed bag out of country , disputes can really tie it up and we do not use it very often. There is so much fraud out there you really need to be careful. High weight stuff we use SEKO or someone like it with full value insurance. THE USPS is OK but claims are difficult, I lost a $1200. package last year. FEDEX is the most expensive but has been, far and away, the most reliable. We stopped using UPS years ago because of damage losses.

theboomboom
01-01-2011, 02:45 PM
This is my knowledge from ~3 years working at a UPS Store-

Those shipping amounts are about spot on for what you can expect with international shipping, it definitely isn't cheap. Anymore everything goes airmail, there's no longer a slow boat to China.

With most European countries and anywhere in North America, you're pretty safe going with Postal service. If you sell anything going to Africa, South America, parts of Asia, it is best to go with a company like UPS, DHL, etc. Postal service in some regions is so crooked and backwards that packages can take months to arrive and may arrive empty. The buyer should also expect to pay taxes and duties upon delivery, those aren't always easy to estimate so it is best to deal with buyers to purchase international goods on a regular basis and know generally what to expect. You can expect to fill out customs forms with every shipment, including an itemized list of contents and their values. This is how the customs department on the buyer's end will assess taxes and duties, and determine if it is legal to import the items in the package into the country. UPS has an international hotline you can call to determine this. It is also helpful to know where the items were manufactured. Just as an example, you can't get anything into Mexico that was Made in China. A simple workaround for situations like that is to remove the made in China sticker from the product and declare that it was Made in the USA. Illegal... maybe, but I know for a fact that it is common practice.

Lars
01-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I would agree, FedEx might be the most expensive, but well worth it. The The service and the tracking are the best. I did a little calculating. I could get a 40 pount pacage to rome for $103.00 with all the appropriate paperwork. Let me know if this is something tha tI can help with.

I have done a lot of high value foreign sales over the last 20+ years,sometimes into the 100K area. The only safe transaction is by BANK WIRE. A guy out of country who declines to utilize a bank wire for a high value purchase is trouble . Cashiers checks must clear before proceeding because they can be canceled and if counterfeit can take weeks to bounce back. Same thing with foreign credit cards, never take them. Pay Pal is a mixed bag out of country , disputes can really tie it up and we do not use it very often. There is so much fraud out there you really need to be careful. High weight stuff we use SEKO or someone like it with full value insurance. THE USPS is OK but claims are difficult, I lost a $1200. package last year. FEDEX is the most expensive but has been, far and away, the most reliable. We stopped using UPS years ago because of damage losses.

60wag
01-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the comments. There is another 4 days left on the auction and I'll let you know how it turns out.

sleeoffroad
01-02-2011, 11:32 AM
We sometimes use flat rate priority boxes. They do have rates for international. We mostly do that when the customer insist they do not want to pay courier rates. If they do, then I inform them that I will give them a tracking number and a date and time it was mailed. That is it. I will not help to track it, resolve lost packages or accept any responsibility for the package once it was handed over to the post office. I have tried to resolve claims, but the system does not work. 6 months of letter writing, numerous trips to the post office and finger pointing to the other countries post office is not worth it.