PDA

View Full Version : Wheel flare

LETSROLL
01-03-2011, 03:56 PM
The flare on my wheel has been rattling around (due to rusting of clips) so I removed it today. Now I have this unsightly bracket look going on. I'm curious to know what most 80 owners do here? Do you simply replace it with OEM parts? Or have it removed (on all 4?) all together, or go with a non OEM flare?

Thanks

corsair23
01-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Depends on what look you like?

If you like the look with the flares (which I do) then fix it and put it back on...I haven't had the priviledged yet of fixing a flare to know what you need to get/do but others have and will hopefully chime in...

I like Uncle Ben's thoughts on the flares that he told me once which in summary was something along the lines of they are useful for letting you know you are getting close to causing real and costly damage to the body...Sort of a buffer zone :hill:

If you like the look of a flareless 80, remove all the flares, cover up the holes, and paint or line the affected areas.

LETSROLL
01-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Good input. Does anyone have some pics of a flare-less 80 they can post up? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Thanks!

Convert
01-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Good input. Does anyone have some pics of a flare-less 80 they can post up? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Thanks!

Flareless

ajax
01-04-2011, 06:31 PM
i drilled out that bracket took 2 secs get a drill bit the size of the rivet head and drill it then plug your holes with somethin

TIMZTOY
01-04-2011, 08:41 PM
plug it with another rivit.... clean and modern looking.

LETSROLL
01-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Flareless

Awesome pictures. Thanks. Geez though. Now if I do it, my truck will look like yours! You OK with that?:bowdown:

L43dean
01-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Yep, sure enough it starts with the NA spec. flares. "I done got rid of those runnin boards already". Then those wide alloy wheels, what oem steel rim fits? Maybe some good ole bias ply Interco's, yeah I know the auto trans but I can get the hand crank window regulator from an old UN 80 in Pakistan. All this carpet? Look, a steel floor and drain plugs. I want a diesel. Hey did you see that old Hi-Lux with the Russian AA in the box on BBC? Hooks on the outside bedrails and a two handle tailgate! Man I've got to convert to part time 4wd, manual hubs or drive plates? No more latte's for me, I'm brewin AKBAR Bergamont on my Optimus 00 kerosene stove from here on out. Where do I mount the sand ladders? No I don't have ADD.

Crash
01-09-2011, 09:04 PM
AADD, perhaps, Deano? You guys with factory spring-overs have such an attitude. :hill:

L43dean
01-10-2011, 12:07 AM
ADD-Automatic Differential Disconect. Sincerely, Dan's 80 and Bill's 60 both look good w/o flares. Factory spring over helps with altitude, I don't know what to do about attitude, maybe the authority guys can help.

LETSROLL
02-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Do these look like the rivnuts you used? How did you install them? Hand tighten? Any glue, sealent?

Thanks!

Flareless