PDA

View Full Version : How Much Do You Hate Comcast? (Relative to Qwest)

Nay
01-03-2011, 04:56 PM
So I can't get anything more than DSL speeds from Qwest in Monument - not enough speed as I am cutting way back on TV programming and trying to stream more when we actually want to watch something on TV.

Comcast seems to be the only option, but I am still wary after spending several years with Adelphia, and I'd want to ditch Qwest entirely to save $$$, so I'd be going with phone service, too.

Reliability is my concern, as in "service available". I work from a home office, so I can't afford downtime, but I'm sick of spending a mint with Qwest for DSL + POTS (plain old telephone service).

Any and all inputs appreciated. :cheers:

corsair23
01-03-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty biased...but I'll try to stick to the facts :)

I hate Comcast because all our bill ever did was go up, up, up. The "special offers" are great to get you in the door but after that...

Before you ditch Qwest, do some checking to see when/if they might be doing the FTC (fiber to the curb) buildout in your area. They are spending a TON of money putting fiber in the ground. Also, check to see if they'll offer you a VoIP line for your home phone.

As for reliability...Not sure what your experience with Qwest DSL is but in nearly 8 years I can count the times my DSL has been down on one hand and only once where I had to actually call for service vs. just rebooting the modem to restore service. Comcast on the other hand for me was down a LOT when we had it. And it always pissed me off when I would call and they wouldn't send anyone out until more people in my area called (I think the magic number was 3 in the same area). Not sure if they still do that. My co-worker at work has Comcast for cable TV and use to have it for internet. He loves the TV, hated the internet reliability. Said it was done all the time during the day when he tried to work from home. He dumped it and went with Qwest DSL when it became available in his area.

My other complaint with Comcast is the "shared" service which regardless of what their cute commercials state can cause the network to slow down...Look to see if they offer guarantees that you'll get the speed all the time that you are paying for.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Nay
01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks, Jeff. That was the kind of feedback I am looking for. I had Adelphia prior to going Qwest, and reliability with Qwest has been excellent whereas it was terrible with Adelphia (now Comcast).

I doubt I'll be getting FTC any time soon here, but I'll call to find out. Thanks :cheers:

corsair23
01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
Qwest knows that POTS is dying and has been for years...Building out for faster internet speeds is a necessity as more and more people start using the internet for everything (video, voice, data) and dump traditional cable, satellite tv, phone service, etc.

Unfortunately, it is still a business and that dictates building out the higher population centers first...It will be interesting to see what concessions and agreements Qwest and Century Tel will have to make with the individual states to get the PUCs to agree to the merger...Often the PUCs bless the mergers only after the companies agree to spend a lot of money improving service including offering higher internet speeds to rural areas.

Chris
01-03-2011, 05:55 PM
From the comments above I suggest you talk to local people Dave. My experience in Denver with Qwest was horrible, very unreliable, blah, blah, blah. I'm not a Comcast promoter but it's far better than Qwest so it may vary considerably from one part of the metro area to another.

AxleIke
01-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm with Jeff. I went to comcast after being so sick of Qwest that I wanted to vomit. Comcast is about the same. Their modem sucks, and I need to see if they have an upgrade. It has to be reset about twice a week, and Comcast's customer service makes me want to tear my hair out.

I haven't had the same issues with bill's going up up up, but I went with a TV package for some specific channels. After the promotion period, they told me I could pay over 2x what I was paying to get those channels back, when I called to find out why two of my channels were no longer listed as viewable.

I am likely going to dump comcast for Direct TV. I'm sure they are just as bad, but I did like that, when going through stuff online, they give you a print out of every bill you will pay over the 2 year contract, and show what the bill will go up to once the promotion ends. I will have to check the fine print, but that is far better than what comcast has done for me, when I have to call and spend 20 minutes on the phone trying to get someone to help me with my bill.

Mendocino
01-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Where can I get a roll out map on Qwest fiber to curb? We have 2.4Ghz wireless to the house and I would love fiber. Additionally there are a lot of qwest service trucks doing something in my neighborhood...

DaveInDenver
01-03-2011, 06:13 PM
We have a naked Qwest DSL. Have never had cable in this house, so I don't have a comparison. Been with Qwest since 2004 in this house. Originally when we bought it we had a Qwest dial tone and a Earthlink (Covad provisioned) DSL. That was terribly unreliable and Qwest offered a switch deal to consolidate phone, Internet and cell into one bill. We later dropped the cell and dial tone, since about 2005 or so we've been on a DSL-only account with Qwest. We have cell phones separate from Qwest.

We did have a AT&T @Home cable modem in the old house in Arvada before it was qualified for DSL (if ever, DSL was never available by the time we moved in 2003). It was OK, I dunno that I remember much about it. We only had the Internet, no cable TV (we've actually NEVER had cable TV).

I couldn't be happier with my Qwest DSL. Originally it was a plain old 1.5Mbps through an Actiontec modem/router, consistent speed but a little unreliable during rain. Turned out that a squirrel chewed our phone line on the pole and once replaced that decreased drop outs by a whole ton.

About 3 years ago they came around with new fiber (FTTN I think, since 7Mbps was the max) and offered upgrades, which we did to 7Mbps and I bought a 2Wire modem/router/wifi. That was stone cold solid all the time. We seem to now have FTTP because about a year and half ago they offered us up to 40Mbps service. About 4 months ago we upgraded to 20Mbps (the highest my 2Wire would go, which I own). Right now I get about 17Mbps data rates with a connection at just over 20Mbps. It has been very reliable so far <knock wood>. I'm paying about $60 per month for the DSL and qwest.net ISP (the ISP part is $7/month I think).

I have no problems getting Netflix HD streams at full resolution, generally get about 1.8~2MB/s sustained downloads. Ping times to Level3 (Netflix's provider) are always around 50ms. I use Google's public DNS (8.8.8.8) and OpenDNS as a second.

wesintl
01-03-2011, 06:35 PM
I pretty much loath any cable company with a passion, they are money sucking hoes that never seem to age. Their service is nothing but suck and the prices always go up. my comcast cable has been pretty reliable and I like on demand but that's as far as it goes. Prices go up every year or two :(

When i was in dc there wasn't a day the cable company could keep the internet up. They sucked worse than comcast.

Quest - I've had a dedicated dsl line since 04 and it's gone down 2x. one time i've had to replace the modem that went belly up right after the warranty. I've had to reset the modem less than 5x. usually service has been pretty good when needed.
Why the friggen phone line cost so much is a bend over from them. I really want to ditch quest all together because I feel the $100 a month is way over priced for the services I get but like jeff noted it hasn't gone up in quite some time and has been really reliable.

I still think I should get comcast internet and go voip for phone and I should be able to save more than half my quest bill.

I've also thought about going dish for tv and cable and voip and get rid of both quest and comcast. I dunno

simps80
01-03-2011, 06:45 PM
I've had both.

Qwest is more dependable in my experience...

Like Jeff Said, Comcast is so attractive up front, but when the 'limited time offers' start expiring it was crazy enough for me to switch back to Qwerst which I swore I would never ever do.

Of the 300 outages we have a year with dsl (all of them while I'm not home), 299 of them are caused by one of the kids throwing a ball and unplugging something.

Comcast was down about once a week for a real outage longer than a few minutes, it was pretty bad. Although I'm sure this is really area dependent.

Qwest has me all "bundled" up though, they make it really really hard to get away from what you don't actually want.

My biggest issue is, and I don't care what they say, they severely limit download speed when they want to, it drives me insane.

I would LOVE a pipe from Qwest that actually sustained performance at the advertised speed. The 'speed tests' always pass, but real-life, I'm gonna download some real data, it slows to about a 10th of advertised.

but it stays up.
and I have to have that for work.

nuclearlemon
01-03-2011, 07:37 PM
my comcast internet has been very reliable. very few down times and no issues with my modem. that said, i was pissed with the tv service side of things and their customer service twits. i had expanded basic for eight years. when they went digital, all i could get was local. when i called i was told that i would have to buy an upgrade, but it was only $29 more a month. i asked numerous times for the post special pricing and either they were deeply confused or they are trying to mislead people. i felt during our conversation it was the latter.

i got rid of tv and use an antenna now. i found online that my rate would be $60 more/month for the 100 crappy channels and four channels i liked, once their introductory special was up. i have watched one movie on my computer and it was fine and i've had ooma for phone service for a year or so and it's great too.

qwest has no plans to put fiber in my hood anytime soon so they can suck it.

Nay
01-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks for all the input - I probably need to live with Qwest until I have some better high speed options.

:cheers:

Corbet
01-04-2011, 03:10 AM
Comcast was the only option we had in Frisco at the time. It was great there. Bill remained the same for 4 years.(moved) I never had to deal with customer service, probably a good thing.

We are on a 3rd party provider down here in Durango now. I wish I had my Comcast back as far as reliability but customer service with 3rd party great.

DaveInDenver
01-04-2011, 05:31 AM
Why the friggen phone line cost so much is a bend over from them.
Qwest is unique (or at least was) among RBOCs in that they will let you drop the voice phone service and keep just the DSL. I don't mind paying for the 20Mbps tier because with it I can stream TV and movies and use VoIP.

Shark Bait
01-04-2011, 06:17 AM
I've had Comcast TV and internet at my current house now for 8 years and am very happy with the quality and consistency of the signal. I felt confident enough in it that I dropped Qwest home phone service 2 or 3 years ago and bought an Ooma VOIP system. Once you buy the Ooma hub (for around $220), the phone service is free, including long distance, This saved us the $60 per month or whatever it was we were paying for voice service. Comcast's uptime is great. Not an issue.

Dealing with Comcast when you do have an issue requires extra patience sometimes. My wife hates them for their poor customer service. They just talked me in to the Xfinity "package" which offers remote viewing of some programs via the internet. It's not quite what I thought it would be. There is no viewing of live sporting events remotely over the internet.

My opinion is, once the "deals" are up, that you are going to pay any provider for the service you get. I hate changing for the sake of changing, but I am looking around. I would be inclined to keep Comcast internet because of the consistency of the service. I've also been reading a little about using a cable card and Windows Media Center, but I'm not sure it would save me any money.

Romer
01-04-2011, 08:41 AM
I have Comcast phone, cable and Internet. You can complain about the prices, but the Internet speed is fantastic. I can watch streaming video without pausing

The Phone service has had no issues and is cheaper then qwest

I really enjoy the on demand feature of Comcast. I am not talking about pay on-demand, but all the free stuff you can watch whenever you want.

pmccumber
01-04-2011, 09:38 AM
I've had Comcast or ATTBI for 12 years and have NEVER, that's right, NEVER had an outage. I have Comcast Business Internet and it gets an extreme amount of traffic. That little Craigslist thing gets over 7,000 unique IPs hitting it every day. I pay $60 for the business class with a dedicated IP.

I had Qwest DSL in Scottsdale and it was miserable. I'm sure they are much better now but I wouldn't consider leaving Comcast.

corsair23
01-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Qwest is unique (or at least was) among RBOCs in that they will let you drop the voice phone service and keep just the DSL. I don't mind paying for the 20Mbps tier because with it I can stream TV and movies and use VoIP.

Yep...If you don't need/want a home phone line you can go with "Naked DSL" - Some people love their land line and will never be without it - My in-laws for instance live in an area without cell coverage and numerous times over the last upteem years the only thing still working at their house when they have been snowed in is the land line...others love their cell phones and/or VoIP and have no need for a land line.

I can't argue with the complaints about the cost of just a land line...Seems like Qwest could/should try to make it more attractive to keep but that is a double edge sword. Of course Qwest can't do anything about all of the taxes and fees they have to collect either which certainly doesn't help the cost.

We are bundled with Qwest (phone/internet, DirecTV, and Verizon) which helps save money. I've been very happy with all three despite the cost which like everyone I would like if it were less...But when I think of what people spend every month on a cell phone with text messaging and data package it amazes me when compared to what they would pay for a land line and DSL. If only you could carry that around with you :hill:

I think one thing is for sure...It appears that location has a lot to do with your overall experience and that just because Qwest or Comcast or whatever is fabulous in one area, that won't necessarily be the case in another area.

Edit: Found that the CO PUC approved the merger and one of the conditions is that the new combined company committed to investing a minimum of $70 million in broadband infrastructure in Colorado over five years.

DaveInDenver
01-04-2011, 04:35 PM
I can't argue with the complaints about the cost of just a land line...Seems like Qwest could/should try to make it more attractive to keep but that is a double edge sword. Of course Qwest can't do anything about all of the taxes and fees they have to collect either which certainly doesn't help the cost.
I don't fault Qwest for the price of a land line, but the total cost to me was not worth it. The price was (I think) $19 for the dial tone but ended up nearly $30 with fees and taxes. People in the city where it costs nothing to get traditional phones heavily subsidize the government decree that everyone pay the same price to get a dial tone.

It costs Qwest (by assumption of U.S. West) a boat load to get that land line to a rancher in Montana and they have among the worst situation for satisfying that requirement due to geography. The west is big and spread out compared to the other Bells. Comcast and other providers are not regulated the same as RBOCs, so they don't have to provide the infrastructure to support 100 year old technology and regulation.

With VoIP I think that requirement is outdated. Wild Blue can provide IP services pretty much anywhere, so why should a switched circuit be the only option for a phone? Or at least why shouldn't someone in a very rural spot have to bare the true cost of living so remotely and pay more closely what it actually costs to run phone lines to very low density areas?

subzali
01-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I had Comcast while living in Golden. For one year. In 2005 when I moved out of that house I went to Qwest and have never looked back. Comcast was always going down. I don't think Qwest has ever gone down for me. Of course I have no idea what most of you are talking about VoIP etc. I'm pretty simple when it comes to this stuff so as far as what package of products is best I couldn't say. I still think my $40/month for internet only should get me faster internet than I have (I don't even know what I have, cable I think, don't know the speed or even how to check the speed), but even if it gets a little slow sometimes (which may be my computer anyway) it's always there.

ajax
01-04-2011, 06:28 PM
i l used to have quest, it sucked bad,made me buy a phone line for 26 bux plus internet i think was 33 bux plus the usual mystery charges that change every month, service sucked my phone line would not work in the winter too cold and would freeze up, was there fault and they wouldnt fix it... i now have time warner road runner cable, so much quicker then dsl i had,plus when they turn on your cable internet they also have to turn on cable t v to your house so......

pmccumber
01-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I dunno how much faster you want but one of the reasons I got Comcast business was the upload speeds are very fast as well. Plus the static IP. $60 and every time I turn around I have faster download and uploads.

Now it is 21/5 mb/s which is stunning.

FJ 432
01-05-2011, 06:59 AM
My other complaint with Comcast is the "shared" service which regardless of what their cute commercials state can cause the network to slow down...Look to see if they offer guarantees that you'll get the speed all the time that you are paying for.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

This is so very true and the biggest reason I'm with Qwest. Their stalk is in my yard and all of my neighbors were buying into the deals of the day. They ended up splitting my connection and my service slowed down considerably. I complained and their excuse was that my "splitters" were the reason. Yeah right.

Qwest isn't perfect but they're the lesser of two evils IMHO.

Hulk
01-05-2011, 09:52 AM
With VoIP I think that requirement is outdated. Wild Blue can provide IP services pretty much anywhere, so why should a switched circuit be the only option for a phone?

Except our current services don't handle VOIP very well. That will change later this year when we start offering service from our new satellite. We'll have download speeds of 12 Mbps and be able to handle VOIP.

Inukshuk
04-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Revival! I have to sign up for a new service as my internet sharing neighbor is moving. I'm hooked on the 20MBS cable speeds I have been getting so leaning Comcast. Question is do you lease the modem at $7 per month or go buy something and if so, what?

DaveInDenver
04-11-2013, 01:59 PM
We have Comcast and bought a Motorola SBG6580. Probably cheaper in the long run over leasing but it's kind of a pile of crap (modem is OK, router and WAP are junk) and when you call for service it's always because of /your/ modem. So in that sense leasing the modem means if you've got a connection problem then you play dumb and blame Comcast.

SteveH
04-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Many times, the 'rental' modem is readily available on Craigslist...$7/mo adds up quickly.

L43dean
04-11-2013, 07:28 PM
This is a problem because this is a duopoly.

baja1d
04-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Comcast has been a PITA but for the price I can't complain. Once a year I'll randomly stop into one of the Comcast offices and threaten to cancel. This always results in a pretty good offer that I can't refuse. The latest is cable & Internet for $60/mon for 12 months. Usually they also throw in HBO & show time for three months.

spectre6000
04-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Comcast is consistently rated the worst company in America according to some survey that releases annually a week or so ago. For what it's worth, I think Qwest would give them a run for their money if they were big enough to rate on a national level (maybe if they sucked less).

If you're in Boulder, Indra's Net is contemplating installing a WiMax setup to serve at least part of the city. Based solely on the technology, it looks like the speeds will be better and the service more consistent. When I called the president of the company answered the phone, was honest (they didn't offer the service I needed, but had some lesser service, but didn't feel it would suit my needs), and it was genuinely like talking to another human being (you know, the antithesis of the other two). I am in no way affiliated with them, I just want them to install the hardware so there's a third option that DOESN'T suck for my office when I get it set up down there. If you're in Boulder, give them a call and a nudge and hopefully it comes to fruition.

Inukshuk
04-13-2013, 07:42 AM
If you're in Boulder, Indra's Net is ....

I had not heard but I have known one of the owners of Indra's net for 15 years and they have been my host for about that long and my and my old office's DSL ISP. They still host my domain. I cant say enough good things about them.

RockRunner
04-20-2013, 10:47 AM
We have had Comcast for the last 8 years since they came to the neighborhood. We have had only one problem last year where the phone quit, one call and an on time appointment and we were fixed.

We have the triple play and it is expensive but go to two movies a month and the TV/HBO etc. is paid for. Also you can upgrade the speed of Comcast if you need to, problem is upload speed. Cable is not made for upload so it is much slower.

Just our experience take it as you will

Inukshuk
06-11-2013, 11:21 PM
$5 cable modem - craigslist - Motorola 5101U. DOCSIS 2.0 good up to 30MBS they say.
25 MBS connection (getting about 21), $29.99 for 6 mos, then $44. Install for $39.
Installer Jimmy was mostly ontime (&AM appointment, 7:15 AM arrival), rerouted all wires as requested (from middle of back of house to side so I don't see em as much), one overhead will feed both sides of the duplex I am in, installed a 4-way splitter in the crawlspace, threw some ends on the old coax to give me extra, made a piece from the wall to my modem, put new ends on the piece I already had from the crawlspace to the wall, and declined the cash I offered at the end as a gratuity - said its policy not to accept any cash. GREAT experience.