PDA

View Full Version : Windshield/Body Shop

theboomboom
01-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm in need of reccomendation for a good windshield shop and body shop, or a place with the capability of doing both those things.

My Christmas gift from Santa this year was a new windshield for the mini, and I've taken it by Elite/Safelite for a quote. I was told that they couldn't do the work there for safety reasons, because of the large amount of rust in the cab around the windshield. Their reccomendation was to take it to a mom and pop shop to see if they will do the work there. Suggestions?

Air Randy
01-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Why not just buy a windshield, a tube of silicon and a $10 tool from HF and do it yourself? As long as your gasket/seal is in good shape it's not really that difficult to replace a windshield. If you can get a good windshield from YodaJim cheap thats even better. Even if you have to buy a new one you can put the saved money in your pocket.

You and your pop learned how to rebuild engines & carbs, why not expand your portfolio to include windshields too? I've done a couple of windshields in the past and they never leaked. Google "How to replace a windshield" and you'll see how easy it is.

TIMZTOY
01-04-2011, 11:26 AM
303-435-7956 They Come To You, And Its Only Like 100$ For The Glass Installed. Should Be Super Cheap If You Already Have The Glass.

rover67
01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Somebody posted up a good guy a while back that comes to you. not sure if that's who Tim posted up or not. seemed like they were very pleased.

maybe somebody can post up again or just search for it here... I forgot who it was and am in a rush to the emissions place now.

TIMZTOY
01-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Somebody posted up a good guy a while back that comes to you. not sure if that's who Tim posted up or not. seemed like they were very pleased.

maybe somebody can post up again or just search for it here... I forgot who it was and am in a rush to the emissions place now.

I actually called that guy and he's a total ass he came out but had brought the wrong windshield and some how that was my fault. So he then said he'd by back in like 45 min because he had to swap it out. Well he NEVER came back and ignored all of my phone calls. So I found some other ppl that actually wanted to work. And that's the # I just listed.

theboomboom
01-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Why not just buy a windshield, a tube of silicon and a $10 tool from HF and do it yourself? As long as your gasket/seal is in good shape it's not really that difficult to replace a windshield. If you can get a good windshield from YodaJim cheap thats even better. Even if you have to buy a new one you can put the saved money in your pocket.

You and your pop learned how to rebuild engines & carbs, why not expand your portfolio to include windshields too? I've done a couple of windshields in the past and they never leaked. Google "How to replace a windshield" and you'll see how easy it is.

That's and idea, I'm just really not sure what I'd be getting into... its evident to me that it has rusted through in at least a one place because there is visible staining inside the cab. I suppose silicon would do the trick in a pinhole sized area, I would just be concerned that silicon may not have the structural integrity to repair what may be lurking behind the gasket/seal...

Caribou Sandstorm
01-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Randy you are awesome! Your can do spirit is inspiring! Do I see a windshield replacement party forming?

Air Randy
01-05-2011, 10:23 AM
That's and idea, I'm just really not sure what I'd be getting into... its evident to me that it has rusted through in at least a one place because there is visible staining inside the cab. I suppose silicon would do the trick in a pinhole sized area, I would just be concerned that silicon may not have the structural integrity to repair what may be lurking behind the gasket/seal...

The staining could be the result of a rust through hole, or, it could just be a gasket going bad and allowing a leak.

If you take it to a windshield joint and they find structural issues when they remove the old glass, you're still going to have to address it. If you have them do it, it will cost a lot more.

See if you can find a replacement windshield and gasket, then find out what brand of silicon sealer the glass companies use. Bring it over to the shop so we can do it inside where it's warm. It will be really easy to remove the trim/gasket and pop the old glass out. We'll clean off the old sealant and look for pin holes by putting a flashlight behind the suspect areas and looking for light leaks. Unless the edge of the cab is so rotted it's about to cave-in, we should be able to pucky everything up good and not worry about any leaks. If it is rotted we may be able to jerry rig a weld-in patch but I doubt it's that bad.

theboomboom
01-05-2011, 04:51 PM
The staining could be the result of a rust through hole, or, it could just be a gasket going bad and allowing a leak.

If you take it to a windshield joint and they find structural issues when they remove the old glass, you're still going to have to address it. If you have them do it, it will cost a lot more.

See if you can find a replacement windshield and gasket, then find out what brand of silicon sealer the glass companies use. Bring it over to the shop so we can do it inside where it's warm. It will be really easy to remove the trim/gasket and pop the old glass out. We'll clean off the old sealant and look for pin holes by putting a flashlight behind the suspect areas and looking for light leaks. Unless the edge of the cab is so rotted it's about to cave-in, we should be able to pucky everything up good and not worry about any leaks. If it is rotted we may be able to jerry rig a weld-in patch but I doubt it's that bad.

Thank you for the offer Randy! I'll have to look at my schedule, I'll shoot you a PM to try and figure out sometime we could work on it.