PDA

View Full Version : fj60 spring perch

nick in nebraska
01-05-2011, 09:09 AM
I recently had the chance to buy back a 84 fj60 that I sold to a friend of mine about 3 years ago. It was for his young son. He rodded the he'll out of it and beat it up good. She is finally back home where she can be loved. (it is now the wife's cruiser:) ) On.the drive home it had a death wobble like I had never had before. Upon further inspection I found that the rear spring perch on the front springs are wobbled out. I can't believe he was driving it like this! :mad: on to my question. I looked with the usually sources and they say discontinued and out of stock. Anyone have any ideas or a parts truck they r willing to part with both rear spring perchs for the front end?

Air Randy
01-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Nick,

When you say "rear spring perch" what exactly are you referring to?

There is the spring perch that is welded to the axle tube that the leaf spring sets on, these are common items available any where.

Then you have the spring hangers, which are welded to the frame. The eyes of the leaf springs go in to these hangers with a bolt through the middle at one end and your shackles go through the other end. These hanger pieces are also commonly available from after market fabrication companies like Ruffstuff Engineering, etc.

Then you have the leaf springs themselves and the bushings that go in them. You can also buy replacements for these from many companies like CCOT, Cruiser Outfitters, etc.

You have essentially the same type of components whether you are talking front axle or rear axle.

My .02 is, if you have to cut the spring hangers off of the frame up front anyways because they are damaged, consider buying/installing a shackle reversal kit. It will make the rig drive/ride/wheel better.

nick in nebraska
01-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Hello Randy. Your right. I misspoke. I ment hanger , i believe. i do have a shackle reversal on both of my 60's. Im talking about the bracket that is riveted to the frame . where the shackle ataches now. not the front of the frame but the rear under the driver and pass seats.

Air Randy
01-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Go to Ruffstuff Specialties website:

FJ60 Leaf Spring Hanger
[0690140] $33.00

This is a Spring Hanger made for 2.75" Toyota FJ60 Leaf Springs, the springs are 2.75" wide but the bushings make for an overall ID of just over 3 3/16". It has an additional "ramp" piece for greater rigidity. This particular style hanger can be used to add 1"+ WB when used extending beyond the frame, the Spring Pin location is aligned with the leading edge of the bracket itself, that can come in handy. We have used them facing front or rearward, the ramp can act as a skid too. Sold in pairs.

nick in nebraska
01-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Thanks !!! I went looking for Ruffstuff and found those very ones. Looks like that will do. All i will need to do is get different shackel pins.

Air Randy
01-05-2011, 06:23 PM
You going to sign up for Moab this year?