PDA

View Full Version : SPOT Connect

treerootCO
01-07-2011, 11:25 AM
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116

The SPOT connect, to be released at the end of the month, lets your phone connect to a global satellite network, allowing you to send messages and GPS coordinates from virtually anywhere on the planet.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-07-2011, 12:08 PM
This is super great news!

I have one of the original spot receivers. And the limitation of only being able to preset the "OK" message before your trip is a bit of a drag.

There is a second generation setup where you buy the SPOT GPS puck and the delorme hand held GPS device and it allows you to send 100 text messages or so for a set dollar amount, which is cool because you could type updated messages from your location.. the cost for this is like $569.00 or $649.00 depending on how many Gigs comes with your Delorme HH..REI had a special for this kit for $369.00 or $349.00, but I heard that ended with the new year.

Now having this tagged to a smart phone is super groovy and considerably more cost effective..

The only problem with this great technology is..if you say you are going to use it, you better do it..Otherwise your wife may just call the ranger station, convinced something has happened to you and while leaving the park, which usually means a courtesy stop by the ranger station, the ranger then might inform you that "Your wife called" infront of your bros, which will certainly result in an immediate loss of all trail credits just earned and some serious ribbing...:eek:

Woodsman
01-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Is this the same package that REI had, Chris ?

http://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-Earthmate-Navigator-Satellite-Communicator/dp/B0031QNPAC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294426240&sr=8-2

Caribou Sandstorm
01-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Is this the same package that REI had, Chris ?

http://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-Earthmate-Navigator-Satellite-Communicator/dp/B0031QNPAC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294426240&sr=8-2

Yep this is it. I guess no one sells them for the list price.

I still could use this set up, as I do not have the handheld GPS, and we saw how great Daniel's was on the Chimney Rock 10 mile loop.

nakman
01-07-2011, 04:19 PM
...the only problem with this great technology is..if you say you are going to use it, you better do it..Otherwise your wife may just call the ranger station, convinced something has happened to you and while leaving the park, which usually means a courtesy stop by the ranger station, the ranger then might inform you that "Your wife called" infront of your bros, which will certainly result in an immediate loss of all trail credits just earned and some serious ribbing...:eek:

Seems easier to just convince your wife to get her technician's license.. :confused:.

Woodsman
01-07-2011, 05:27 PM
The only problem with this great technology is..if you say you are going to use it, you better do it..Otherwise your wife may just call the ranger station, convinced something has happened to you and while leaving the park, which usually means a courtesy stop by the ranger station, the ranger then might inform you that "Your wife called" infront of your bros, which will certainly result in an immediate loss of all trail credits just earned and some serious ribbing...:eek:

You seem very familiar with this "issue". :D

Convert
01-07-2011, 06:08 PM
You seem very familiar with this "issue". :D

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Inukshuk
01-08-2011, 05:37 PM
The only problem with this great technology is..your wife may just call the ranger station, convinced something has happened to you and while leaving the park, which usually means a courtesy stop by the ranger station, the ranger then might inform you that "Your wife called" in front of your bros, which will certainly result in an immediate loss of all trail credits just earned and some serious ribbing...:eek:

Still trying your best to convince us that a woman would marry you? :blah::blah::blah: