PDA

View Full Version : Snow Tires

PabloCruise
01-07-2011, 12:43 PM
I swear I saw a thread not too long ago where people were speaking up about snow tire preferences.

Search did not help me find my imagined thread, so in the spirit of impatience - here goes!

I want to throw some snow tires on the DD (Honda Civic) and have really enjoyed the all-season Toyos that have been on the car forever.

The Toyo website shows an Observe snow tire, studded or non-studded.

It seems like Toyos are a little harder to find than others...

What do you all like for small, front wheel drive vehicles?

Thank you!

CardinalFJ60
01-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Continental makes a "blizzak" style studless tire that I like alot - I think they are the ExtremeWinterContact. I do have a Subaru and with those tires, wo with the AWD it's like they are shootin' super-glue out the treads. it's a soft compound with lots of siping and an assymectrical (??) pattern. I hope that helps get you in the right direction...

subzali
01-07-2011, 12:54 PM
My wife's '09 Corolla has been running the Hankook Winter iPike for a couple seasons now. We have studs in them and they seem to work great. Reasonable price too.

Here's another thread:
http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4812&highlight=jetta

Corbet
01-07-2011, 12:59 PM
I've been happy with the Cooper snow tires for cars. We have ours studded on the Subie. For the price I have not found anything better. With unlimited tire funds I would go with Nokians

Hulk
01-07-2011, 01:39 PM
With unlimited tire funds I would go with Nokians

I had the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R (http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11949&group=1.01&name=Nokian+Hakkapeliitta+R) tires on my Audi and they were the best snow tire I have ever had. They are spendy but amazing.

PabloCruise
01-07-2011, 09:09 PM
My wife's '09 Corolla has been running the Hankook Winter iPike for a couple seasons now. We have studs in them and they seem to work great. Reasonable price too.

Here's another thread:

Thanks Matt - I swear there was a thread on here about winter tires where Jeff Z. was talking about siping M/T's...

wesintl
01-07-2011, 09:14 PM
look on craigslist. THe last 2 sets i found smokin deals on snow tires. Specifically i have used the yokohama ice guard the last 6 years on my camry and jetta. Great tire for the $ and both cars are ski runners in the winter.

The usual list for me is
1. nokian hakkapeliitta
2. bridgestone blizzak
3. yok ice guard

I had them on the jetta last night with the box on the roof.

nattybumppo
01-08-2011, 07:55 AM
X2 on Nokian Haks

Nay
01-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Here's another thread:

We run the iPike on our minivan (without studs). Good tire for the price, they run very nicely at higher highway speeds, too.

Nay
01-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks Matt - I swear there was a thread on here about winter tires where Jeff Z. was talking about siping M/T's...

So you are going to put some 14" MT's on the Corolla :hill:?

RockRunner
01-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Blizak or a copy, I have driven both of my friends cars FW and AWD and you can blow trough the snow and ice like it isn't there. Maybe pricey but do summer and winter tires and then the price isn't that bad.

PabloCruise
01-10-2011, 02:28 PM
Anyone else w/ experience running the Blizzak?

subzali
01-12-2011, 05:40 PM
So you are going to put some 14" MT's on the Corolla :hill:?

My wife has 16"x6.5" wheels on her Corolla, my Tundra has 16"x7" wheels...hmmm I wonder if my 285/75/16s will fit?

;)

powderpig
01-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Blizzaks are a nice tire, but they are worthless after about 1/2 tread. Which means to me (anyway), you are only getting 1/2 the use out of them. Go to this link and read a bit. The tires I will be putting on my next ride will be the General Altimax Artic with studs. Not to bad a price, not a throw away after a couple of seasons.
Here is the link http://www.consumersearch.com/snow-tires/review

Cheers, Robbie

Woodsman
01-12-2011, 06:00 PM
My brother ran the Continentals on his Taurus for a couple seasons and they got very loud and rough as they aged. He replaced them with Firestone Winterforce UV and he cannot say enough good things about these. They are wearing so well that he has been leaving them on year around and is expecting to hit 60K miles on them this coming summer.

Just an FYI . . . tirerack.com has them in the FJ Cruiser's stock size of P265/70R17 for only $85.00 each or $340 for 4. They must be trying to clear them out for the season.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=265%2F&ratio=70&diameter=17&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&manufacturer=Firestone&x=15&y=8

coax
01-12-2011, 06:01 PM
I'll throw in a non-recommendation for the Hankook Icebear W300 (http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?pc=11591&counter=1&ar=50&rd=17&sw=false&cs=205)'s I ran on the mazda 3. They wore quick, and by the end of the 2nd winter the remaining rubber was as hard as a normal summer tire. When I gifted them to a buddy to run as a summer tire I bet they only had 15K on them.

Edit: I just read Robbies link above, here's what they say about those hankooks: "The only winter tire that flunks at snow traction in a major U.S. test -- the Hankook Icebear W300info (*Est. $80) -- also gets a bad grade at APA, where it is judged "not optimized for ice or snow.""

If you've got the money I've had good luck with the Michelin Arctic/Pilot Alpins on my parents Honda Accord. Are you going with a studded or non-studded? Personally I prefer the non-studded around here when even in the winter over half the driving is on dry pavement, and we don't get too much glare ice around here, just hard packed snow.

jacdaw
01-12-2011, 06:07 PM
I swear by my Good Year Assurance TripleTreds. Wonderful 4 season tire, especially on a FWD. Great summer grip and tread life plus a center tread block with sharp edges (I forget what it's made of...glass?...lava?) I'm on my 2nd set on the DD Saab and have yet to have any trouble on snow or ice. I leave the house before plows get to my neighborhood.

Nay
01-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Blizzaks are a nice tire, but they are worthless after about 1/2 tread. Which means to me (anyway), you are only getting 1/2 the use out of them. Go to this link and read a bit. The tires I will be putting on my next ride will be the General Altimax Artic with studs. Not to bad a price, not a throw away after a couple of seasons.

Cheers, Robbie

Exactly - the multicell compound is only the first half of the tread depth. I still like the Nokian's - even Nokian has admitted that in their testing the Blizzak outperforms them in year one, but after that it goes the other way.

What I like about the Nokians in general is they are very good high speed tires, and in Denver you are driving 95%+ on dry pavement and don't want to lose good highway performance (unless you are planning on running studs of course in which case that is out the window anyway).

I personally think the multi-cell compound design is somewhat overrated in our climate - the design goal is that the tire "sponges" water off the surface that is created by tire contact friction, but our snow is typically low water content and in very cold temps you aren't going to be creating much if any friction melt.

I have only had one time in 7 years of running Trxus MT's on my 4x4's where I thought that winter tires were performing better (on my minivan), and that was last April when we got about 18" of snow at about 34 degrees where tire spin would take you down to pavement in the slush and then ice up right at the surface. Ideal conditions for a "studless snow", but really rare here unlike more coastal climates.

That's why for AWD applications, I like some of the silica compound non-multicell compound winter tires like the Nokian WR. I had those on a Sube wagon, and they were outstanding, and I think may have even been Z speed rated. I have yet to run a studless snow that I thought were better.

YMMV.

rover67
01-12-2011, 06:27 PM

Cheers, Robbie

We run those Altimax's on Allison's Jetta. They are on their third season and are showing it BIGTIME.... but they were awesome the first two. I have no idea how many miles are on them, but she commuted to Golden and back to Boulder every day for work the last two years, and this year I drove them on a 3k mile road trip on dry roads.

They still do OK even though they have lost most of the studs. I liked them but have nothing to compair them to.

wesintl
01-12-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm either on the 3rd or 4th season of my Ice Guards and they are doing awesome. I should be able to get one more season next year out of them too. I only really run them jan-mar prevously but this year i put them on in dec. They go over snowpacked berthod on weekends and hit the dry pavement here

PabloCruise
01-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Some good stuff in here - thanks all.

I am looking at a studless snow.