PDA

View Full Version : Towing

LETSROLL
01-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Does anyone have experience towing a popup trailer with an 80 series?
I"m looking at a Fleetwood Evolution 2 which I believe is 4400lbs GVW. The spec on the 80 series says 5000 lb max.

I would need an electric trailer brake set up I think.

I'm concerned about tongue weight, braking, climbing passes, etc

Thanks

TIMZTOY
01-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Timmbuck2 does. !

nakman
01-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I do too, that's way too heavy IMO unless you're supercharged. My camper is more like 2200 pounds, and it's 35mph going up to the tunnel on this side, more like 30mph coming back up from Silverthorne. Vail pass coming home is just as bad, if you get cut off even for a second you'll be downshifting to 1st gear... :snail: the whole time it just feels sick and wrong, poor 80.

wesintl
01-07-2011, 03:57 PM
I have an E1 and that's the most i'd want to pull with an 80 and on the flat it does well. hills suck and we have alot of those out here. time to see and get a 100 if you're going with an e2

Tounge weight shouldn't be a big deal, you will not want to tow anything that large without trailer brakes so that's a given and climbing passes just plain sucks.

corsair23
01-07-2011, 04:17 PM
I do too, that's way too heavy IMO unless you're supercharged. My camper is more like 2200 pounds, and it's 35mph going up to the tunnel on this side, more like 30mph coming back up from Silverthorne. Vail pass coming home is just as bad, if you get cut off even for a second you'll be downshifting to 1st gear... :snail: the whole time it just feels sick and wrong, poor 80.

Ditto

I have a 3500# popup. On the flats it tows fine (assuming you set it up so you are level, don't pile on the tongue weight, don't need to get anywhere fast, etc.) but as Nakman and Wes say, hit a hill and :snail:

We are talking down to 20-25mph with semi trucks passing you slow...The worst areas for me heading west are the big hill up to Genesee, the hill out of Georgetown, and Eisenhower. Coming east both Vail pass and Eisenhower suck.

I have OME heavies in the rear with a Slee bumper and tire carrier. Tongue weight on my popup is 150# without propane and a battery. With just the propane on the front and the rest of the gear loaded right on the inside it sits about level. Last year though for Moab I had two full 40# propane tanks plus battery on the front, plus two additional batteries inside the camper. Tongue weight proved to be too much and the popup towed like crap. Better on the way home with near empty tanks and all batteries moved inside the popup and more centered over the wheels. My point is that even with the OME heavies, I still caused the LX to drag butt with all that weight.

IMO some sort of trailer brakes are a must pulling that much weight for sure. The 80 was not designed with an electric trailer brake controller in mind but adding one is easy, although being a contortionist and having small hands would be good traits for this job :hill: