PDA

View Full Version : San Rafael Swell

BryanF
01-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Planning to register tomorrow would like to do the overnight run but I fear geography may defeat me. I can make Denver in 15hours 45mins, but I still have 5 hours + to get to Moab. What time will the overnight run leave out on Wed. AM? How far would I be out if I pushed into Rifle on Tuesday night?

Jacket
01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
If its the same route as last year (the Swell), then the Wednesday route covers a lot of miles and they leave early - 9:00 or 9:30 IIRC. The good news is that the camp/start is close to the interstate, and you could probably hit them on the 2m.

wesintl
01-09-2011, 08:38 PM
How far would I be out if I pushed into Rifle on Tuesday night?

Probably close to 3 hrs

Hulk
01-09-2011, 09:19 PM
If you can, you really want to get to the camp site Tuesday night -- it's not in Moab, but a bit further west on I-70. That way you will be ready to leave the next morning with the group.

BryanF
01-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the replies. Just not enough time this year to make it out by Tuesday. I did register to run Golden Spike on Thursday. Might be a good excuse for a new back bumper:rolleyes:

Corbet
01-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. Just not enough time this year to make it out by Tuesday. I did register to run Golden Spike on Thursday. Might be a good excuse for a new back bumper:rolleyes:

If not you might have an even better excuse when your done.:D

Your wise to skip the swell overnighter if you can't make it Tuesday night. Rifle would be a pretty big push in the morning. Finding the campsite is a little tricky if you've never been. I want about 4 hours from Rifle to make it on time. Keeping in mind you'd have to stop a top off the tank in Green River. Plus have your rig go through tech inspection on site.

Rock Dog
01-11-2011, 10:36 AM
If its the same route as last year (the Swell), then the Wednesday route covers a lot of miles and they leave early - 9:00 or 9:30 IIRC. The good news is that the camp/start is close to the interstate, and you could probably hit them on the 2m.

Kurt indicated it will be 80% new this year, only running about 20% of the last 2 years trails :D:D

The Swell is big enough to keep it new and exciting for years!!

Corbet
01-11-2011, 11:02 AM
That's good to hear. I had a great time on the swell last year. But day one had way too much high speed wash board for my liking. Little more crawling around would be a nice addition.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Hey Bryan glad to hear you are coming back out for another Cruise Moab.

I had a thought about your options. You could do part of the Kokopelli trip.

If you made it to rRfle Tuesday night, you cold take the Cisco exit off of I70 and take that road almost into Moab. At the Dewey Bridge you could make a left and wait for us there, we should be there mid morning sometime Wednesday, then proceed on the rest of the Kokopelli with us, which has some of the best features to come anyway...

Not sure if it is already full but this might work for you if there are spots open.

Hulk
01-11-2011, 03:03 PM
If you made it to Rifle Tuesday night...

Fruita is only another hour and 15 minutes beyond Rifle. He could easily join you guys at the start, right? Are you all wheeling Kokopelli on Tuesday or just meeting that night?

Rock Dog
01-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Fruita is only another hour and 15 minutes beyond Rifle. He could easily join you guys at the start, right? Are you all wheeling Kokopelli on Tuesday or just meeting that night?

Matt, you are right, from Rifle to Fruita is just over an hour, and the Kokopelli Overnight is leaving from Rabbit Valley (not far over the Utah/Colorado Border) at 10: A.M. on Tuesday...

I thought he said he was going to push to be in Rifle Tuesday night... if that is the case,
Rifle to Green River is only 2 1/2 hours, another 30 or so to the Swell overnight campsite...
So if he left Rifle around 5:30 a.m. he could in theory make it (left 15 minutes in there for gas at Green River)..

He would have to be up early to pull it off, but could be done .:D:D

Hulk
01-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Kokopelli Overnight is leaving from Rabbit Valley (not far over the Utah/Colorado Border) at 10: A.M. on Tuesday...

So the Kokopelli trail is three days of wheeling? All day Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, arriving in Moab sometime on Thursday afternoon?

Corbet
01-11-2011, 09:22 PM
So the Kokopelli trail is three days of wheeling? All day Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, arriving in Moab sometime on Thursday afternoon?

Yes

Rock Dog
01-12-2011, 10:48 AM

Yes it is 3 days and 2 nights, and it is a milestone for us to be able to offer it... It was however approved for a smaller group than the Swell, so we have a limit of 14 trucks, as opposed to 20 for the Swell...

BryanF
01-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Hey Bryan glad to hear you are coming back out for another Cruise Moab.

I had a thought about your options. You could do part of the Kokopelli trip.

If you made it to rRfle Tuesday night, you cold take the Cisco exit off of I70 and take that road almost into Moab. At the Dewey Bridge you could make a left and wait for us there, we should be there mid morning sometime Wednesday, then proceed on the rest of the Kokopelli with us, which has some of the best features to come anyway...

Not sure if it is already full but this might work for you if there are spots open.

That sounds tempting but I don't want to take a spot if there is someone wanting to run the whole thing. I'll check with you guys closer to May, if there are still spots, or someone cancels, I might take one. Still hope to get to Moab early enough on Wed to do a run somewhere that afternoon regardless. Hopefully won't be setting up camp in 45mph winds:lmao: The tent has till got red sand in it.

3rd Cruiser
03-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Anyone have an idea when we will receive info on meeting place, time etc?

Rock Dog
03-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Hello,
Trail assignments are still being finalized.
After they are completed, the lucky participants of the overnight runs will be contacted by the trail leaders with further information and logistics.

Thanks for your patience.

Best Regards,
Neil.