01-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Rumor has it....

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20027833-266.html?tag=rtcol;pop

Uncle Ben
01-09-2011, 10:17 PM
http://www.techspot.com/news/41896-android-passes-iphone-in-the-us.html

J Kimmel
01-09-2011, 11:44 PM
been wanting an iphone for a long time, so I am really excited about this but after playing with my brother in laws droid over new years...thats a tough choice, those are great phones.

Uncle Ben
01-09-2011, 11:51 PM
been wanting an iphone for a long time, so I am really excited about this but after playing with my brother in laws droid over new years...thats a tough choice, those are great phones.

I really love my Droid X! Until recently it has never let me down for anything. The last "update" has made my emails delay.....I'm guessing a patch will be out any day.

Shark Bait
01-10-2011, 06:57 AM
I'm not sure what I will do. I've been wanting an iPad, especially since I watched an NFL game with a guy while waiting in line for a flight recently. I got the Verizon 4G modem recently which has been great. I've been waiting to get a new phone. We'll see what else comes out in the next month or so.

Nay
01-10-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm not sure what I will do. I've been wanting an iPad, especially since I watched an NFL game with a guy while waiting in line for a flight recently. I got the Verizon 4G modem recently which has been great. I've been waiting to get a new phone. We'll see what else comes out in the next month or so.

The iPhone is a no brainer if you run Apple computers at home, due to the "dock and sync" feature with native Apple applications like iTunes.

If you run Windows at home, unless you are an app fanatic, I'm not sure that there is a compelling reason to get an iPhone given the phone feature itself is not one of the best.

Disclaimer: I work for Verizon, but not Verizon Wireless.

RedCreeper
01-10-2011, 07:31 PM
I was a verizon wireless customer for many many years till i move here. Had to switch to ATT cause in my hood i kept dropping calls. Love my i phone. Not if i will change though.

Chris
01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
As a Mac user and a Verizon customer with a dead phone it has some appeal. :thumb:

TIMZTOY
01-10-2011, 08:46 PM
ive got a iphone on att, and i want verision service, because there coverage is better in CO. but i dont want a droid. i dont like them.. yea there cool. no doubt but i still prefer the iphone

calphi27
01-10-2011, 10:08 PM

ipad 2 is coming out soon i hear. ipad with appleTV is awesome. you can be watching something on the ipad, then stream it on your tv. you can also use the ipad as a remote control for appleTV AND comcast.

ScaldedDog
01-10-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm keeping my Storm until there are good LTE handsets out. Last year's iPhone is not appealing.

Mark

Hulk
01-11-2011, 12:10 PM
It's real.

TIMZTOY
01-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Sweet. Looks like I'll be switching providers

Uncle Ben
01-11-2011, 01:59 PM
It's real.

Surprise....another I-crash:rolleyes:

powderpig
01-11-2011, 06:02 PM
My brother in law that lives in Broomfield just change his whole family over to Verizon to get away from the Iphone. They have 4 units and have been with the Iphone for a couple of years. There biggest complaint was the battery life. Anyhow interesting to see the Iphone has made it back to the place Jobs wanted it in the first place.

TIMZTOY
01-11-2011, 06:41 PM
i think most of the entier nation wanted it at version to start with.

Nay
01-11-2011, 08:42 PM
i think most of the entier nation wanted it at version to start with.

It's an uneasy truce, I think. Both companies very much want to control the retail customer and both have a strong retail presence and marketing function.

I also wouldn't get that excited on shelling out for any non-LTE phone on any carrier right now, because a 2 year commitment is a long time to stay on a 3G phone if you plan to use a lot of data bandwidth.

TIMZTOY
01-11-2011, 09:49 PM
im grandfathered into a unlimited data plan and unlimited text, unlimited talk.. muwahahahahahaha :lmao::lmao: but the 3g aint bad.. ive beaten the new 4g droids with it.. 4g aint really sh** that ive seen..

corsair23
01-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Listening to the news today, if you have an iPhone with AT&T today, you can't take that over to Verizon and use it. You have to buy a new phone to the tune of $199.99 and I assume to get that price you have to commit to a 2 yr contract (just a guess, I haven't checked)

Also there are some differences between the AT&T iPhone and the Verizon iPhone per what I heard...I didn't pay attention to what the differences are so they may be minor...

TIMZTOY
01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Listening to the news today, if you have an iPhone with AT&T today, you can't take that over to Verizon and use it. You have to buy a new phone to the tune of $199.99 and I assume to get that price you have to commit to a 2 yr contract (just a guess, I haven't checked)

Also there are some differences between the AT&T iPhone and the Verizon iPhone per what I heard...I didn't pay attention to what the differences are so they may be minor...

correct, and correct.. its the sim/data card inside the phone.. you can change the card out. but they dont sell just the card. you have to buy the whole phone to get just the card. and yes the phone is $400 w/o contract.

treerootCO
01-12-2011, 12:27 PM
The reports are that the Verizon phone cannot surf the web while on a call. With AT&T you can when connected to 3G but cannot when connected to the Edge network.

Nay
01-12-2011, 12:35 PM

That is because AT&T runs a GSM technology standard and Verizon runs CDMA - there is no dual band iPhone and by definition there will be some technology differences. This is the reason you can take your AT&T phone to Europe and many other countries that use GSM, but not your Verizon phone unless you have a dual band "World Phone" such as a Blackberry Tour.

The move to the LTE (Long Term Evolution) transmission standard across all carriers means this is an issue that will be relegated to the dust bin, but it is alive and well for 3G, which is really a reference to the phone itself (and your phone is not a likely limiting factor in transmission speed with a good signal), whereas LTE (4G) is about the network transmission protocol itself. It is best to think of 3G/4G as a marketing designation for phones (you need a new one!), and CDMA/GSM vs. LTE as the move to a network standard that can handle broadband at high speed over the mobile communication spectrum ( and the spectrum some carriers own may optimize LTE better than others, given all wireless frequency is not the same ).

In any case, a recent 3rd party test on the Verizon LTE network (sans user traffic) clocked 33MB/sec speeds (that's generally faster than high speed wireline internet). Verizon was quoted in the article that I read online that at full load the expected download speeds are 5MB - 12MB/sec, although time will obviously tell.

So...if you are going to commit to a 3G platform, you are committing to stay on the legacy network. Nothing wrong with that, but if you aren't dying for a new phone, I'd be waiting for LTE deployment and buying a 4G LTE phone of whatever flavor I wanted. Neither your AT&T GSM iPhone nor your Verizon CDMA iPhone are going to work on a LTE network. Your future LTE iPhone or Droid also will not then work outside of the U.S. on GSM networks unless it is dual-banded or the international carriers also move to LTE.

As a disclaimer, I work for Verizon, but in the global enterprise systems integrator space in Verizon Business, not Verizon Wireless. I am not stating anything here that I haven't read/researched/understood from publicly available sources.

Nay
01-12-2011, 12:41 PM
The reports are that the Verizon phone cannot surf the web while on a call. With AT&T you can when connected to 3G but cannot when connected to the Edge network.

I believe this is a limitation of the CDMA transmission protocol vs. GSM. I have to do one or the other on my Blackberry.

Nay
01-12-2011, 12:49 PM
im grandfathered into a unlimited data plan and unlimited text, unlimited talk.. muwahahahahahaha :lmao::lmao: but the 3g aint bad.. ive beaten the new 4g droids with it.. 4g aint really sh** that ive seen..

That's not apples to apples - you can't have beaten a new Verizon 4G Droid that is running on the LTE network, because they don't exist yet.

As I said above the "xG" designation has been about the phone (3G = "Smartphone"...1G = "Bag Phone"??? :hill:). Unless your carrier has a fully deployed and operational LTE network, you are simply running a newer model phone on your carrier's legacy network (GSM/CDMA), which as you rightly point out, will have absolutely no advantage other than the speed of the phone itself and its software features.

I think this is why you are seeing the newest stuff being marketed at "4G LTE" rather than just "4G". Unless of course T-Mobile and Sprint are running fully deployed LTE networks well ahead of the largest players in the U.S. market, which if they are not, means they have simply named their latest generation of phones as "4G".

Hence the marketing campaign "It's the Network" rather than "It's the Phone". The only thing the phone can really do to affect your experience is either just be a bad phone or have a cheaper/slower chip to keep the price down - outside of that, the performance is going to be all about network transmission speeds/coverage and whether or not you like your phone's features such as a slide out qwerty keyboard, screen size/quality, and of course Apple v. Android (Google) v. RIM, etc. in terms of how your phone integrates to other devices.