PDA

View Full Version : CM2011 - Here I come

rhyary
01-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Finger on the trigger, can't wait.
Again I plan on driving Friday after work, arriving Sunday noon time to Moab.
I would love to get together and do trail on Monday. Last year I did Chicken Corner on Monday and it was fabulous, easy, introduction to Moab.

This year I would like to do something more challenging. My hope is to do Cliff Hanger on Monday but only if I can find an experience group to go with.

My wish list is follow:
Tue, Wed, Thu - Kikopelli tail (driving from Moab Tue morning to trail head)
Fri - Poison Spider Mesa
Sat - Wipe-Out Hill
Sun - I still want to do a trail here
Monday - Another tail? not sure

I might do the White Rim again if I can find a partner or more. Sunday Monday white rim sounds good. I might just try to get reservation for more than one night to have the option. Last year I left home on Thu after the event. But this year I will be heading home sooner. Can't do the full two weeks again.

All in all, I had great time last year not only on the trails but also meeting lots of you guys. Looking forward to reconnect.

RockRunner
01-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Good to see you can make it once again. We are going to make a lifer out of you yet. See you when the snow clears.

Air Randy
01-10-2011, 11:55 AM
Good to see you can make it once again. We are going to make a lifer out of you yet. See you when the snow clears.

Bring your tow strap, Tom will probably need you to pull him out again :lmao:

FJBRADY
01-10-2011, 11:57 AM
:D :lmao::drink::kipper::campfire::doh:

bumpitorcrawlit
01-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I've got my credit card loaded and am ready to pull the trigger!

Looking forward to my second "Cruise Moab"

Wondering about the slickrock campground. I will have my Suburban pulling my crawler. Do I need to reserve an RV site? I won't be using any hook ups or anything. If I just put the trailer in the overflow area I could just rent a tent site. Anybody have any thoughts on this. I loved being at Area BFE. Maybe slickrock will be even better?

See you all there and I am sure I will be posting more as we approach the date.

84cruzer
01-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Does registration open??? :hill:

Hants
01-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Registration will open this evening. If you send an email to the link on the page, I'll send you an email when it does.

See you in Moab!

:beer:

Hulk
01-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Wondering about the slickrock campground. I will have my Suburban pulling my crawler. Do I need to reserve an RV site? I won't be using any hook ups or anything. If I just put the trailer in the overflow area I could just rent a tent site. Anybody have any thoughts on this. I loved being at Area BFE. Maybe slickrock will be even better?

You can probably get a tent site and park your trailer in overflow.

Inukshuk
01-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Wondering about the slickrock campground. I will have my Suburban pulling my crawler. Do I need to reserve an RV site? I won't be using any hook ups or anything. If I just put the trailer in the overflow area I could just rent a tent site. Anybody have any thoughts on this.

The tent sites are out of the way in a back corner, less action and much smaller. They also do not have water and electric. Before I discovered the cabins I once almost stayed at a tent site but moved right away to be in the action. I also figure that since its not real camping (hence now a cabin) that I'd just as well have 110V (lights, space heater, hot pot) and H20.

Row behind cabins or row on right when you drive in are great places to put up a tent and easy to share with 2-3 tents.

Woodsman
01-12-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm booked. See all you Coloradoans there.

Inukshuk
01-12-2011, 08:34 PM
I'm booked. See all you Coloradoans there.

Excellent.

Rock Dog
01-12-2011, 11:56 PM
My wish list is follow:
Tue, Wed, Thu - Kikopelli tail (driving from Moab Tue morning to trail head)

If you get the Kokopelli Trail, i suggest you drive to the trail head from Moab via I-70 instead of going the back way through Cisco... that way you can top off with fuel at Thompson Springs... The other option would be to go all the way back to Loma to top off.... the Kokopelli trip will be approx 120 miles offroad starting at the Rabbit Valley turnoff, so depending on the vehicle, having as much fuel to start as you can will be a big help. :D:D

rhyary
01-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Thanks RockDog
I got into the Kikopelli. Since I am planning on doing a trail on Monday, I will either have to drive Monday night to get closer to trail head, or get up early in the morning.

I was planning on going the easy way, 191 North to I-70 East.

I assume that exact details on the meeting place will be provided.
Sitting 2500 miles a way the instruction "starts at Rabbit Valley turnoff" sounds a bit vague to me.

Rami

Hulk
01-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Rabbit Valley turnoff is in western Colorado. That's where the Kokopelli trail starts. You'll then run it southwest to Moab.

rover67
01-13-2011, 01:17 PM
maybe this will help:

http://www.trailcentral.com/gps/gps_details.php?key=131

wesintl
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM
It's a ranch exit with a gravel lot

Rock Dog
01-13-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks RockDog
I got into the Kikopelli. Since I am planning on doing a trail on Monday, I will either have to drive Monday night to get closer to trail head, or get up early in the morning.

I was planning on going the easy way, 191 North to I-70 East.

I assume that exact details on the meeting place will be provided.
Sitting 2500 miles a way the instruction "starts at Rabbit Valley turnoff" sounds a bit vague to me.

Rami

Sorry Rami,
Yes, all participants that get to run the Kokopelli will be receiving detailed information... Rabbit Valley is something like 2 miles from the Utah/Colorado Border, on the Colorado side... and the Loma Colorado exit is something like 15 miles from the Utah/Colorado Border....

There is a closer town to the Border called Mack at 11 miles, but i don't remember if they have Gas....

Have Fun! I wish i could go on the Multi night run....

Thanks for the Map pointer Marco !

Rock Dog
01-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Rabbit Valley turnoff is in western Colorado. That's where the Kokopelli trail starts. You'll then run it southwest to Moab.

Matt,
The Kokopelli trail technically starts in Loma, but we will be starting our run of the Kokopelli from Rabbit Valley...

rhyary
01-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks Marco.
So exit number on I-70, what to do off the exit, etc etc will be provided. That's cool.
Can't wait.

Hants
01-13-2011, 03:55 PM
There is a closer town to the Border called Mack at 11 miles, but i don't remember if they have Gas....

Mack says they have gas on the highway.... but its an old R2D2 pump owned by an "old lady" who is almost never there (including the time we were below E and pulled in to get gas :eek: ).

wesintl
01-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Mack? I ain't no Mack, I'm a Peterbilt for dang sake!

docmallory
01-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Hey y'all - Count me in as a Moab newbie. I'll be going up Tuesday, taking a leisurely drive in the new-to-me 80. I'm still a novice (only been off-roading twice, and never in my 80 or in this type of terrain). I'll will be sticking with the easier trails for now - although I may see if any of the veterans want a passenger for one of the harder trails.

Things to do between now and then -
Finish up base-lining
new tires
air compressor
CB
learn as much as possible

I'm open to any advice or suggestions anyone wants to throw at me.

Uncle Ben
01-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Mack? I ain't no Mack, I'm a Peterbilt for dang sake!

Naw.....more like Tow-Mater:flamingo:

Jacket
01-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Hey y'all - Count me in as a Moab newbie. I'll be going up Tuesday, taking a leisurely drive in the new-to-me 80. I'm still a novice (only been off-roading twice, and never in my 80 or in this type of terrain). I'll will be sticking with the easier trails for now - although I may see if any of the veterans want a passenger for one of the harder trails.

Finish up base-lining
new tires
air compressor
CB

Welcome! You'll have a blast. Just a warning though, after spending a week at Moab with your truck, your wallet will start thinning rapidly as you find more and more things to spend money on to make your truck more dirt friendly.

Hulk
01-14-2011, 09:13 AM

Finish up base-lining
new tires
air compressor
CB

Welcome! You're going to love Moab.

Have you removed the stock running boards?

docmallory
01-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Welcome! You're going to love Moab.

Have you removed the stock running boards?

I plan to pull them off before I go. I have spent a lot of cash on this truck already this year, with tax, baselining, fixing odds and ends, and the upcoming new tires (285's) . Wife is telling me to cut back on spending (something about saving for the kids' education, or something silly like that) so I'll be on a tight budget preparing my stock 80 for Moab. Keep in mind, I didn't buy this 80 to beat up or heavily modify. I tend to see it more as a classic car, used for weekend fun and hobby wrenching while keeping it nice.

So with all that said, now I'm struggling over whether to find some cheap bolt on sliders, take a chance on boogering up my rockers, or just go and try to ride along with others while the cruiser sits safely at camp. Maybe I'm a [vagina], but I'm already thinking of switching out of Elephant Hill because I heard it can cause brush pinstriping.

Advice?

Hulk
01-14-2011, 09:43 AM
So with all that said, now I'm struggling over whether to find some cheap bolt on sliders, take a chance on boogering up my rockers, or just go and try to ride along with others while the cruiser sits safely at camp. Maybe I'm a [vagina], but I'm already thinking of switching out of Elephant Hill because I heard it can cause brush pinstriping.

Advice?

If you buy sliders, you will never regret it. It's the key piece of armor for your truck.

Elephant Hill won't cause much, if any, pin striping. It is the perfect trail for a first voyage to Moab in a new-to-you 80. I think you should definitely run this. Fins & Things is another trail you might want to tackle.

corsair23
01-14-2011, 04:46 PM

Advice?

Get sliders and don't go "cheap" - I don't know of any cheap sliders for an 80 but slapping on some "nerf bars" or the like can cause just as much damage as having nothing. You might be just fine without them but if you miscalculate on the trail, the cost to repair the rocker panel(s) will make the cost of a good set of sliders look cheap.

Matt covered you on E-Hill - just know that it is a LONG day as the drive to/from the trailhead is quite far from Moab...IIRC you meet at 7am vs. the more normal 9am time for tha majority of the other trails.

I'm trying to think of other stockish 80 friendly trails...Fins & Things as Matt mentioned although that one can be a rear bumper eater (if you have the stock rear bumper and a hitch, leave the hitch on to protect the rear bumper). As I recall Hells Revenge is actually not bad (been a couple years) as the harder obstacles are optional and even they aren't really rocker killers. I'd avoid Porcupine Rim and Poison Spider Mesa and probably Wipeout Hill.

Best bet, just get the 285s and sliders on and go from there. :thumb:

Rock Dog
01-14-2011, 05:41 PM
Get sliders and don't go "cheap" - I don't know of any cheap sliders for an 80 but slapping on some "nerf bars" or the like can cause just as much damage as having nothing. You might be just fine without them but if you miscalculate on the trail, the cost to repair the rocker panel(s) will make the cost of a good set of sliders look cheap.

Matt covered you on E-Hill - just know that it is a LONG day as the drive to/from the trailhead is quite far from Moab...IIRC you meet at 7am vs. the more normal 9am time for tha majority of the other trails.

I'm trying to think of other stockish 80 friendly trails...Fins & Things as Matt mentioned although that one can be a rear bumper eater (if you have the stock rear bumper and a hitch, leave the hitch on to protect the rear bumper). As I recall Hells Revenge is actually not bad (been a couple years) as the harder obstacles are optional and even they aren't really rocker killers. I'd avoid Porcupine Rim and Poison Spider Mesa and probably Wipeout Hill.

Best bet, just get the 285s and sliders on and go from there. :thumb:

The First part of wipeout is all a sand run, and would not be an issue... Maybe Nakman can say something about after the Hill itself. There are several climbs, but i don't remember is they were Rocker eaters or not...

Don't Forget Chicken Corners... Great for beginners (any comments Matt)...

The second half of Fins and things is also not bad, but as you point out there are a couple bumper eaters on the first section....

docmallory
01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Get sliders and don't go "cheap" - I don't know of any cheap sliders for an 80 but slapping on some "nerf bars" or the like can cause just as much damage as having nothing.

Yeah, I got ya. I guess I meant *relatively* cheap. I had (gag) nerf bars on my Tacoma back on the day and thankfully age and wisdom would never let me go down that path again. :)

Maybe Slee has some blems or seconds out back behind his shop....

docmallory
01-14-2011, 06:43 PM
There are no sissy bypasses around the bumper scrapers? :Princess:

docmallory
01-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Just had a long talk with the wife. Mentioned how excited I was about Cruise Moab but how worried I am about my rockers. Sliders would be great, but I had told her I was done spending money on the cruiser for a while......

Her response was "whatever", which means "buy whatever sliders you want". WOOHOOO!

Corbet
01-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Trails I have ran at Cruise Moab with a stock locked 80 (with sliders, and OEM receiver hitch)

Hells Revenge
Fins & Things
Porcupine Rim
Metal Masher
Kane Creek
Wipe out Hill
Poison Spider

Kane Creek will pin stripe your truck. I make no promises to your plastic bumper corners. But I have no major damage otherwise.

YOU WANT SLIDERS. They are far cheaper than a rocker panel repair. Which eventually you will need without them. Probably sooner than later.

corsair23
01-15-2011, 02:06 AM
The First part of wipeout is all a sand run, and would not be an issue... Maybe Nakman can say something about after the Hill itself. There are several climbs, but i don't remember is they were Rocker eaters or not...

That was my thought that the hill might be the issue...For a stock 80 dropping down onto the hill sections I think the rockers would come close to hitting...Can't remember though really :confused:

First trail we ever did was Porcupine rim with 285s, OME lift (2.5") and I hit my sliders several times. Next trail was Fin and don't remember hitting the sliders but definitely drug the butt end a lot and had a 60 roll backward into my brand new ARB at the lunch stop :eek:...Last up was Poison Spider Mesa and I'm pretty sure we hit the front ARB, rear Slee, and the sliders that day :hill:

Inukshuk
01-15-2011, 02:16 AM
Her response was "whatever", which means "buy whatever sliders you want". WOOHOOO!

She's a keeper! Slieders are a worthy investment, but not 100% necessary. Removal of running boards is. I was one of the first CM 80's back in 2003. I did buy some used Slee early prototype sliders and I'm still running them. I only this year had to finally replace my stock rear bumper ends - a combination of the Golden Crack and Old Chinaman's Gulch. I'm running an OME heavy lift and 285's. I have run every trail in Moab except Pritchett and Moab Rim.

On the long wheelbase line on Wipe Out Hill you won't drag rockers. You can do Moab very rocker friendly if you have some lift and 285's. You will drag the stock tow hitch and front and rear bumpers.

nattybumppo
01-15-2011, 03:09 AM
Yeah, I got ya. I guess I meant *relatively* cheap. I had (gag) nerf bars on my Tacoma back on the day and thankfully age and wisdom would never let me go down that path again. :)

Maybe Slee has some blems or seconds out back behind his shop....

Talk with Scotty at ADDICTED OFFROAD and check out his website. I have some sliders for my 60 on order and they look very good. They were not listed for a 60 on his site, but they are available. The price is attractive too. Maybe there would be a little something left over to buy that gal some pearl earrings in appreciation of her support! Then she can pawn them when those college bills come around...

docmallory
01-15-2011, 11:28 AM
You can do Moab very rocker friendly if you have some lift and 285's. You will drag the stock tow hitch and front and rear bumpers.

No lift. I was considering adding the sliders, and removing the front bumper and rear bumper corners.

Corbet
01-15-2011, 01:36 PM
I would not bother with the front bumper covers. I don't think I ever hit those. Back bumper covers will take some abuse if you don't mind the paint scratches. Otherwise pull them off.

Another thing you'll want to consider is your cats. Don't want to wack them too hard on a rock either. The cat guard under my Metal Techs often was the first point of contact on anything before my lift. Not too hard to avoid but keep it in your mind.