PDA

View Full Version : Trouble opening your Scepter Jerry cans ?

Woodsman
01-10-2011, 01:16 PM
A trip down the Kokopelli in 2009 had me cussing up a storm as I was unable to open my cans. I finally found two small allen wrenches and put them in the holes around the cap. I used a breaker bar, fighting with it every step of the way, and finally coerced the cans open. I knew that I could do better so I invented the "Scepter Wrench". As a custom woodworker, I have all the tools to do the job right so I figured I should just solve this problem. My revised unit also includes a cutout to permit tightening and loosening the pour nozzle. Interestingly, I showed this to my brother who has been in the military for 24 years and he said that he can't believe Scepter doesn't mold handles like this from plastic. He said a tool like this would have been very welcome when he was in Iraq. While a strap wrench does the job, he said it's a pain to use over and over on dozens and dozens of cans.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/James%20FJ%20pics/Scepter2.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/James%20FJ%20pics/Scepter3.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/James%20FJ%20pics/Scepter5.jpg

simps80
01-10-2011, 02:14 PM
golly, that is slick!

Nice work!

sno bored
01-10-2011, 02:20 PM
Looks like it's time to put them into production and make some money.

wesintl
01-10-2011, 02:53 PM
just put in a pm to James.. I'm sure he'll hook you up. :thumb:

A few of us got to see one on the maze run. It's a thing of beauty from a professional woodworker :cheers: I know someone in the club with one!

Or just group buy and save on shipping.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Yep you can't have the one in the pic cause it is coming to my house!!

Special delivery! "Coming in hot!

Looks great James!

Woodsman
01-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Yep you can't have the one in the pic cause it is coming to my house!!

Special delivery! "Coming in hot!

Looks great james!

Yeah. Yours is in the mail. :cheers:

I'd like to add that, while the picture makes it look big, it is only a touch over 10" long.

Hulk
01-10-2011, 04:35 PM
You should file a patent for this and put it into production.

Woodsman
01-10-2011, 04:57 PM
You should file a patent for this and put it into production.

I appreciate the compliments. However, since Scepters are no longer available new to the public, the market is very limited. I just can't imagine that the cost of either making a mold for injection moulding or filing a patent would be worthwhile.

With that being said, I've been making them to order for over a year now although Chris is getting the first one that was modified for use with the pour spout.

Inukshuk
01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Nice. How's the smashed finger doing?

corsair23
01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
I appreciate the compliments. However, since Scepters are no longer available new to the public, the market is very limited. I just can't imagine that the cost of either making a mold for injection moulding or filing a patent would be worthwhile.

Maybe some Nakman nylon? :D

Woodsman
01-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Nice. How's the smashed finger doing?

:rolleyes: It is coming along nicely. Other than the first night and whenever I bump it on something, it hasn't hurt too bad . . . but that may be because it is dead or something. :eek:

Do you want to see a picture of it ? :hill:

nakman
01-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Maybe some Nakman nylon? :D

I don't know what these cost to buy or what you have into them, but that part looks pretty big and not very complex to make it attractive for direct print nylon. However you could injection mold that, RIM mold that, maybe even blow or roto mold that.. imagine a cafeteria tray, or a license plate frame. Do you have it designed in CAD? Would need to get shelled out with more universal wall thicknesses.. I could likely source tooling for you if you need it.. but figure at least a couple-few grand in a tool, then whatever the part price is... quantities kinda need to be up there to justify. Send me a PM if you want to go down that path..

For just a few, I kind of like the elegance of the wood! :thumb:

Woodsman
01-10-2011, 06:34 PM
nakman, thanks for the thought but I don't see demand justifying it. An awful lot of guys just love their strap wrenches and that is fine. Between our hands and feet, we could count how many of these I've sold to date.

Is direct print nylon anything like stereo lithography (which I messed with in college for fast prototyping) ?

Corbet
01-10-2011, 10:06 PM
OK, I need one of those. With the pour spout cut out. PM me the details please:thumb:

wesintl
01-10-2011, 10:24 PM
They are sweet. I almost want to buy some scepters just to have the tool :D

Corbet
01-10-2011, 10:28 PM
paypal sent

Woodsman
01-10-2011, 10:52 PM
They are sweet. I almost want to buy some scepters just to have the tool :D

That guy on MUD still has a few pair left. If he still has some tomorrow I might get a couple more.

nakman
01-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Yeah it's a lot like Stereolithography, conceptually they do the same thing. Sintering uses a fine powder instead of a liquid epoxy, and uses a laser's heat to selectively melt, while SLA uses the laser's light of selectively UV-cure. They both build in layers, etc.

Inukshuk
01-10-2011, 11:19 PM
:rolleyes: Do you want to see a picture of it ? :hill:

I'll trade you with a still jpeg from my MRI showing my partially torn PCL. :thumb:

Woodsman
04-06-2011, 08:37 PM
I've revised the wrench and made the following changes:
1) Added 1/2" to the length
2) Produced using 1" HDPE plastic or laminated Baltic birch
3) Added two relief notches to prevent bending the cap retainer strap when pushed down in the cap
4) Added a hole at each end for hanging or whatever

Regardless whether these are made of wood or plastic, either one is way stronger than necessary to remove the most stubborn cap.

In addition, I may be interested in finding a couple of companies to sell them for me. Since there is no laminating of material, sanding or finishing I may be able to price them a bit lower than the wood versions. Please let me know what you think.

For anyone with a wood version, if you want a HDPE version send me a PM and I'll take care of you.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/012.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/010.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh156/woodsmanspics/011-1.jpg

Woodsman
04-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Sounds like the official name of the item above will be the . . . Rocking K Cap Wrench.

The name comes from my last initial and although we do not do any branding around here it is used in reference to our farm which has been in the family since 1839. : )