PDA

View Full Version : FJ 40 Shock talk

FJBRADY
01-17-2011, 09:15 AM
Well after blowing three Rancho 9000 shocks in the last year and half I want to go in a different direction.....I don't use the in cab control so I do not need an adjustable shock.

I need a shock that will allow me to bottom it out without dropping fluid all over the place, namely my garage!

Let me know what you would recommend.

Thanks.

treerootCO
01-17-2011, 09:24 AM
I liked the Bilsteins but people are telling me the quality went downhill. I don't have any personal experience with the new stuff. The 5000s I have now are the best shocks I have ever run.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/off-road/5100-series-shocks.html

FJBRADY
01-17-2011, 10:15 AM
I liked the Bilsteins but people are telling me the quality went downhill. I don't have any personal experience with the new stuff. The 5000s I have now are the best shocks I have ever run.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/off-road/5100-series-shocks.html

Mike, how long have you been running those shocks?

Rezarf
01-17-2011, 10:55 AM
I have heard a lot of good things about the Eldelbrock shocks that auto adjust.

subzali
01-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Well after blowing three Rancho 9000 shocks in the last year and half I want to go in a different direction.....I don't use the in cab control so I do not need an adjustable shock.

I need a shock that will allow me to bottom it out without dropping fluid all over the place, namely my garage!

Thanks.

Aren't you supposed to not be bottoming out your shocks? How about raising your bumpstops?

FJBRADY
01-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Aren't you supposed to not be bottoming out your shocks? How about raising your bumpstops?

The truck flies what can I say.

Old40Dog
01-17-2011, 12:17 PM

Thanks.

Steve, I installed the 5100 Bilsteins on the 69-40 for 2010 Moab and have been running them ever since. No issues and what a difference. Of course I "don't run a V-8" so I definitely don't fly. Call Joel @ Performance Wheel and Tire for the Rising Sun discount on Bilsteins. Tree O Tree Niner Tree For Too Niner Too Niner.

Air Randy
01-17-2011, 12:23 PM
I would also recommend the OME (Old Man Emu) shocks. I think they have a lifetime warranty and the Aussies built them to last on their cruisers in the outback. You can get them online from Man-A-Fre.

Also, you need to check to make sure you have bump stops and that they are set correctly. If you continually bottom out on the shock you can destroy any make/model.

Uncle Ben
01-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Steve, you definatly need to adjust your bumpstops and if your over extending either run longer shocks or limit straps! RS 9000's are a decent shock and are a twin tube gas charged shock. I strongly caution against RS 5000's and even OME standard shocks as 40's already ride rough....and hydro shocks will do internal damage to your own body! Any shock will fail if it's bottoming or over extending! For ride quality and control you want high pressure nitrogen charged shocks. You're not racing or pounding on your junk across a desert so the added expense of remote reservoirs is not needed. A lot of the crawler leaf sprung guys seem to like the Edlebrock gas shocks mostly because of the different lengths available. I went with custom rear shocks built by Pig at Poly Performance in the rear of Wild Rice and they work perfectly! Pig also adds shaft bumpers for compression and extension in the shock itself. Most any gas high pressure gas shock should make you happy but again none will last if they are too short or too long!

FJBRADY
01-17-2011, 02:05 PM
All excellent suggestions and ideas. I will look into everything suggested since it does not look like I will be able to modify my driving habits on the trail. :pirate:

treerootCO
01-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Mike, how long have you been running those shocks?

I have been running them since '04 or so. I'll have to find the valving I bought but it seems to work well. I was really surprised how much control a shock adds to a suspension when I bolted those on.

nuclearlemon
01-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Aren't you supposed to not be bottoming out your shocks?

x2. you don't have a shock issue, you have a design issue

FJBRADY
01-17-2011, 03:41 PM
you have a design issue

Not to mention they are upside down. :o

Either way I am ditching the incab adjustable dodad.....the Bilstein may be the way to go. I have had a few thumbs up on the 5100.

Thanks again everybody!

Mike let me know when you can the valving you went with.

Air Randy
01-17-2011, 07:50 PM
OME, HFS, Heckethorn all have nitrogen gas shocks that should work just fine for $50-$60 each. I vote for HFS in this case, especially if she helps with the install :D

FJBRADY
01-17-2011, 08:21 PM
That is a good looking shock.....

farnhamstj
01-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Good thing she's wearing gloves for safety. Her jeans must have got caught in a fanbelt.

Air Randy
01-18-2011, 03:41 PM
Just another victim of the economy........poor thing...........she has to make ends meet by installing shocks and she barely has rags to wear. This bothered me so much I sent CCOT a message and said I would pay her to install my shocks, and I don't even need shocks :lmao:

Uncle Ben
01-18-2011, 04:00 PM
You get what you pay for!

treerootCO
01-18-2011, 04:05 PM
This thread went to the gutter rather quickly....;)

Uncle Ben
01-18-2011, 04:15 PM
This thread went to the gutter rather quickly....;)

No idea of what your talking about! BTW what does BBCS stand for? :eek::lmao::o

FJBRADY
04-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Swapped out all four shocks to the Bilstein 5100 series and yesterday was the first chance to get the old girl out on the road and in a word "buttah".

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and Randy thanks for the visual on the shock you found! :grinpimp:

Air Randy
04-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Make sure you have bump stops in place, if you consistently bottom out the new shocks they'll fail prematurely too.

FJBRADY
04-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Make sure you have bump stops in place, if you consistently bottom out the new shocks they'll fail prematurely too.

Ahhhh nonsense, gunna drive it like I stole it. Heck when I took the front shocks they were dead, no movement at all when I unbolted them. I'll just drive behind you on the trail and take it easy hows that. :)

RockRunner
04-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Ahhhh nonsense, gunna drive it like I stole it. Heck when I took the front shocks they were dead, no movement at all when I unbolted them. I'll just drive behind you on the trail and take it easy hows that. :)

You better bring a lunch and a dinner it will be a long day :rolleyes:

FJBRADY
04-12-2011, 08:41 AM
You better bring a lunch and a dinner it will be a long day :rolleyes:

Yeah no kidding. He tows like bat out of hell, but when he's on the trail :snail: :D

Air Randy
04-12-2011, 09:41 AM
OK, be like my kids, and then get all huffy when I say "I told you so" :D

RockRunner
04-12-2011, 10:36 PM
I say get the shocks with the build in stops only $1300 or so. You plan on using the trailer this weekend? I may try and service it a little.