PDA

View Full Version : Wrecked my 80; need advice!

LARGEONE
01-17-2011, 03:04 PM
I guess "wrecked" is all in how you perceive things! In a '95 Land Cruiser, any time you go past the bumper, it's wrecked b/c you run the risk of the insurance company totaling your vehicle, right?

So, here's the deal. I was going thru downtown Longmont this morning and traffic was bumper to bumper about 10 cars deep. The line of traffic stopped for no reason...at least not that I could see from behind the F-150 in front of me. Well, I did not see the tail-lights of the F-150 due to the combination of the sun hitting them at the perfect angle and the taillights being VERY dirty from all of the snow slush spit-up. I slammed on the breaks (starting at about 25-30 MPH) and realized immediately I wasn't going to stop in time so I started trying to avoid to the right hand lane where there wasn't another car. I didn't make it! Left front of my LC hit the right rear of the F-150. His rt rear bumper was crushed into his rt rear bed quarter. My front left ARB got pushed back enough to just start to push up on the metal below the front left turn signal.

Here's where I need the advice...

1) How much do you think the cash value is? The number that if the repairs go over this amount, they will total it. It is a '95 with nearly 180K miles. I know that others have experienced this decision in the past. I guess it is pertinent to mention that my 80 already has a salvage title from a minor wreck at 120K miles...that doesn't help with the insurance wanting to fix it I'm sure!

2) Do you think that a 9000 lb winch doubled back to the bumper wing via a snatch-block attached to an immovable object (say a big bull-dozer or something similar) would be enough to pull the left wing of the bumper back out?

I had trouble attaching pics...will attempt in a second post.

Thanks. I have an appointment for an estimate which starts with a new ARB bumper...

LARGEONE
01-17-2011, 03:08 PM
This one shows the left part of the ARB pushed back at least 3/4 inch and touching the metal (and actually pushing it up enough to keep the left turn signal from seating):
This one shows the unadulterated right side:
This one shows the slight buckle in the middle-left of the ARB:

FJBRADY
01-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Paul I am glad you are all right.

It does not look that bad if you ask me.

Shark Bait
01-17-2011, 03:20 PM
Could have been a lot worse without the bumper. Talk to Christo.

nuclearlemon
01-17-2011, 03:35 PM
you will have to heat the bumper when you try to get it to go back. the tubing up top adds so much more structure to it that it will be very hard to get it to bend back without professional machines. mine was damaged a little bit worse than yours and the lower bumper sprung back quite a ways when i cut the tubing around the headlights off.

LARGEONE
01-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks Ige. I didn't even consider that. It's not that bad at all. However, my insurance company is already involved and I thought since my insurance is gonna go up anyway I would check into making it right.

Dr. Schlegs
01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
Glad you are OK Paul. It does not look that bad from the pics, maybe it is worse in person.

Corbet
01-17-2011, 04:42 PM
Happy your OK.

I'd probably just get a new bumper and call it good.

Uncle Ben
01-17-2011, 05:03 PM
happy Your Ok.

I'd Probably Just Get A New Bumper And Call It Good.

X2!

LARGEONE
01-17-2011, 05:45 PM
That's kind of where I'm leaning. I'm thinking about getting a new ARB and then have them pull the metal out slightly so that the turn signal will seat back in and the fender flare will go back against the quarter panel. The quarter panel is flexed slightly where the upper part of the flare doesn't want to sit flat on the panel. There is almost a 1/8th inch gap at the upper front part of the fender flare.

I'm thinking if I can keep the repair below $3K, that they won't total it? But that might even be stretching it a little bit?

LARGEONE
01-17-2011, 05:52 PM
These two pics show the damage to the quarter panel.

Uncle Ben
01-17-2011, 06:38 PM
That's kind of where I'm leaning. I'm thinking about getting a new ARB and then have them pull the metal out slightly so that the turn signal will seat back in and the fender flare will go back against the quarter panel. The quarter panel is flexed slightly where the upper part of the flare doesn't want to sit flat on the panel. There is almost a 1/8th inch gap at the upper front part of the fender flare.

I'm thinking if I can keep the repair below $3K, that they won't total it? But that might even be stretching it a little bit?

I bet the bumper is holding the body a bit so it might relax some with the damaged bumper off! Under 3k should be easy as they will sourse a used fender/flair and prep/paint it along with a new ARB. They might even let you save some labor by installing the new bumper yourself.

Corbet
01-17-2011, 06:54 PM
Or its time to go flareless? Not my bag baby but works for many others... If you don't want them to total it then fight them on it. They can't close the claim until you sign off on it. I'm sure you can find comparable vehicles posted on MUD for sale to prove you can't just replace it for $3K

nakman
01-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Glad you're ok, Paul!

Air Randy
01-17-2011, 07:36 PM
I would take whatever money they give you and put it in your pocket. Then we heat that bumper up and pull on it. When it straightens out it may not be showroom perfect but I bet it won't look bad either. And once the bumper pulls out the rest of it will probably pop back close to before without oo much massaging it.

That way you can wheel it and not worry about getting a little scratch or ding on the bumper.

farnhamstj
01-17-2011, 09:16 PM
x2 on what Randy said. It's a wheeling truck. It's supposed to have scars. Glad everyone is ok.

Caribou Sandstorm
01-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Yep Randy is a master do-it-yourselfer..You gotta go to his place and let him fix you up in like 30 minutes...

Glad you are ok!

LARGEONE
01-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm gonna see what the body shop in Boulder says and then what my insurance says and then I'll probably need to fix it myself after that!!! It will be interesting to see what the numbers are. It will be good to know either way, what my "Trash it" value is!!!

Bikeman
01-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Good luck with it, hope everything works out in the end.

coax
01-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Not having had to go through the insurance claim thing with a vehicle, would it not potentially be better to let them total it, take the money, buy the vehicle back, and then fix it yourself? Especially if its already a salvage title? I did something similar with a stolen mountain bike, though not sure that would translate over to vehicles.

TIMZTOY
01-17-2011, 11:34 PM
new bumper :rolleyes: just take it off and replace the bent part..

FJ 432
01-18-2011, 08:03 AM
I had experience with being an adjuster/supervisor/manager.

They will probably replace the fender with an LKQ (recycled/used), replace the bumper (after market) paint the affected areas and blend the hood and l/f door. My guess would be 1,800 to 2,300.00. They may also add frame time which may push the amount to 2500.00.

My suggestion in order to keep them from totaling is ask for an appearance allowance on the front bumper if you think you can do the repairs itself. An appearance allowance is just an amount of money thrown at the part instead of replacing the part.

BTW, an insurance company totals a car based on the following example. If you had a 1,000 car and the salvage value of the vehicle was 20% or 200.00 then if they wrote and estimate for over 800.00 in their eyes the example car is a total. You have the right to retain the salvage in Colorado so they would offer you 1,000 plus taxes and they would take the example car or they would pay you 800.00 and allow you to keep the example car. But don't forget your deductible in this example. I hope this helps.

Old40Dog
01-18-2011, 08:40 AM
Glad to hear that nobody was injured. It'll all work out. It's just a PITA to deal with these guys.

OilHammer
01-18-2011, 08:59 AM
wow....glad to hear you are okay bud. Sorry I didn't call you back the other day. If you decide to go with a new bumper, bring the old one over and let's work on it. I'm curious to see what we can do with it and at that point, it won't hurt to try. We could probably even plasma cut it to bend it flat with the hyraulics, then re-weld and grind smooth.....a trip to the powder coater and it will work great on my 450. ;) Heh...I mean you could sell it!

Bmac.

LARGEONE
01-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Very helpful info. Thank you.
I think the problem with the 80s is that the vehicle on the books is not worth much and the salvage value is high because there are so many of them still on the road. That makes the salvage equation less favorable for the owner. I'm sitting at Pearl Auto Body...sent here by my insurance company...so I should have an answer tomorrow or Thursday. I'll let yall know. Thanks again for all the helpful info. I can always count on RS to help when help is needed.

wesintl
01-18-2011, 05:26 PM
good luck Paul. Hope it works out for you.

thelal
01-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Bummer on that.

I had mine written off from a crash in Longmont as well (bad karma?) last yr(I think). Dealing with the insurance co., valuation, quotes, repair, writeoff, auction, buyback was all a long drawn out hassle but in the end I got another 97 with more bells/whistles.

I'd be wary of 'fixing' the ARB just due to the structural integrity aspect but I'm sure others know more regd. that aspect. Taking the 'offer' $ in your pocket and doing it yourself sounds the better option if you have the time/energy.

Come by some time so I can look-see. Brendan

Uncle Ben
01-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Very helpful info. Thank you.
I think the problem with the 80s is that the vehicle on the books is not worth much and the salvage value is high because there are so many of them still on the road. That makes the salvage equation less favorable for the owner. I'm sitting at Pearl Auto Body...sent here by my insurance company...so I should have an answer tomorrow or Thursday. I'll let yall know. Thanks again for all the helpful info. I can always count on RS to help when help is needed.

Pearl is one of the best around....they will take good care of you! Make sure they know you are Jerry's (Boulder Toyota Parts Manager) friend!